Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Folklore brought in a lot of people who had never listened to Taylor's music, (like me) or generally don't like pop music. She has a broad appeal that most music pop stars don't.

Not surprised that she's become the biggest music star in the world. I imagine there were quite a few people who would not normally buy a pop record but bought this because of Folklore/Evermore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Based on this year I would say this is not true because Drake also released an album and it sucked and everyone hated it and stopped listening to all but the one dece song on it

I guess we’ll see because he’s calling a do-over and making the album people actually want from him (a 21 Savage album feat. Drake) but he’s also making it so on the fly that it got delayed because 40 got COVID last week

edit: esco is correct Bad Bunny is the actual biggest star in the world because unlike basically everyone else people kept listening to his album longer than a few weeks after it came out. It set the record for most weeks in the top two spots (18) meaning whenever a hot new album came out for basically the entire summer it was right there behind and watched them all fall below it after one week

Taylor released 2 albums in a row that sucked and nobody liked, Drake has never released a good song let alone an album and still puts up insane numbers in streaming and album sales and is now working with the dude who made the one song people liked on Honestly Nevermind. Bad Bunny might be a flash in the pan, you can't call someone with biggest in the world if they've only been active for 5 years.

Rarity posted:

If you're talking rappers then Kanye's got a much better argument for that spot than Drake

In terms of Influence, Infamy, and talent yes. But he hasn't put up Drake numbers since MBDTF or Graduation. Drake is like the Monkees and Ye Brian Wilson

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaius Marius posted:

Taylor released 2 albums in a row that sucked and nobody liked

Yes but then she did Speak Now and the rest is history :v:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Taylor released 2 albums in a row that sucked and nobody liked, Drake has never released a good song let alone an album and still puts up insane numbers in streaming and album sales and is now working with the dude who made the one song people liked on Honestly Nevermind. Bad Bunny might be a flash in the pan, you can't call someone with biggest in the world if they've only been active for 5 years.

In terms of Influence, Infamy, and talent yes. But he hasn't put up Drake numbers since MBDTF or Graduation. Drake is like the Monkees and Ye Brian Wilson

The Monkees rule what are you talking about

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Bad Bunny might be a flash in the pan, you can't call someone with biggest in the world if they've only been active for 5 years.

You can if you’re setting records like he is. He’s gonna be the most streamed artist on Spotify for his third straight year this year, his album is breaking records, his latest tour is breaking records that were set by his previous tour, if those things don’t make someone the biggest pop star in the world I don’t know what does. Pop music isn’t exactly a lane that values longevity anyways, five years into the Beatles’ career they were already multiple years into being the biggest in the world.

Not to mention the last time Drake had the most listened to album in a given year was Scorpion. He’s already past his peak in both popularity and quality.

edit: There have been at least four holders of “Biggest rapper in the world” since Kanye held the title: Drake, Kendrick, Post Malone and Bad Bunny.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 1, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Taylor released 2 albums in a row that sucked and nobody liked

justice 4 reputation

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

justice 4 reputation

Are you trying to say that reputation is bad or good?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

exquisite tea posted:

Taylor Swift is the biggest music star in the world and has been for quite some time. She's bigger than Beyonce. As such she's kind of graduated beyond the need for singles or radio airplay.

I think many countries outside the US would dispute this conclusion.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rest of your dates revealed

4/28/23 - Taylor Swift w/beabadoobee - Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA

4/29/23 - Taylor Swift w/beabadoobee - Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA

5/26/23 - Taylor Swift w/Phoebe Bridgers - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

5/27/23 - Taylor Swift w/Phoebe Bridgers - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

6/2/23 - Taylor Swift w/Girl In Red - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL

6/3/23 - Taylor Swift w/Girl In Red - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL

7/15/23 - Taylor Swift w/Unknown - Empower Field at Mile High, Denver, CO

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m torn about seeing Taylor on tour. On the one hand she’s definitely on my list of artists that I’d love to see but on the other I never want to go to a stadium show because they’re just so loving big. Also unless I made the extra hike to KC to see MUNA open I’d be stuck with the least interesting opener (girl in red on a stadium stage feels… less than ideal). But also will she do stuff from her folky albums? It’s gonna be interesting to see how she balances songs from Midnights, songs from the three albums she released before that didn’t get tours and songs from her re-releases, which will presumably have at least one more added to their number between now and when the tour starts given how heavily she has been hinting at Speak Now (Taylor’s Version). I’m kind of worried that we get maybe 3-4 songs tops from the pair (the singles, Betty and August or Mirrorball).

My dream is that she pulls a Gaga and does two different shows with completely different vibes but that does not seem to be likely (and they’d still be in a stadium, which, yuck)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just make the show 5 hours long it's fine I can take it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Are you trying to say that reputation is bad or good?

good. it’s my favourite Taylor album

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

good. it’s my favourite Taylor album

Yeah same.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

These are some amazing openers

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1587420273325838336?s=20&t=WvN6riYKSG8ZGNyYmVq9PQ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would definitely go to a UK show if it wasn’t definitely going to cost like a million pounds

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

High times for depressed lesbians.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I would definitely go to a UK show if it wasn’t definitely going to cost like a million pounds

I feel like I should go despite this :negative:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if I have the dough on the date they go on sale I’ll probably end up doing it

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah I don't really like stadium shows but it's Taylor Swift and I'm brokebrained so... I had a ticket for her in summer 2020 and it was my biggest pandemic disappointment so I feel like I owe it to myself. Luckily I'll probably be saved by there being a million scalpers in the ticketmaster queue before the queue opens.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ticket prices

quote:

Unusually in the modern era of variably priced “platinum tickets” where fans get little information about set ticket prices, Swift has announced the cost of her tickets in advance. They run from $49 up to $449, with VIP packages that start at $199 and go up to $899.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
50 quid sounds doable :thunkher:

I still need to buy my CRJ ticket though :sweatdrop:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

roughly double those costs because of ticketmaster fees.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't want to say it but I will. Drake is bigger than Taylor

prove it

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
was hoping for girl in red for Taylor's MA shows, but oh well... what an insane lineup all over.

still not sure about going to this at gillette stadium. its been a long time since i have been to a huge arena show, might be a bit too old now! :corsair: oof... yeah... i dunno. this stresses me out just looking at the possibility. lmao.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m torn about seeing Taylor on tour.

But also will she do stuff from her folky albums? It’s gonna be interesting to see how she balances songs from Midnights, songs from the three albums she released before that didn’t get tours and songs from her re-releases, which will presumably have at least one more added to their number between now and when the tour starts given how heavily she has been hinting at Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).

this is where I am as well. i would pay so much $$$$ for a small venue show, where she could showcase her more folky music and would be so beautiful in an intimate, smaller theatre. i just do not like the vibe (or the insanity) of stadium shows, and i am not sure how it will translate on that type of stage.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pragmatica posted:

was hoping for girl in red for Taylor's MA shows, but oh well... what an insane lineup all over.

still not sure about going to this at gillette stadium. its been a long time since i have been to a huge arena show, might be a bit too old now! :corsair: oof... yeah... i dunno. this stresses me out just looking at the possibility. lmao.

The last show at Gillette I saw was the stones in like 2000? I might take my kid to one of those though. My first concert was a huge stadium show (at the old foxboro stadium) so pretty cool to see the big spectacle of it if it’s your first show.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m listening to Folklore and Evermore again because it’s rainy and cold and autumn and here’s my latest guess to why I don’t think Midnights is as good as them:

Those two albums were made when everything was shut down and people were inside and not touring or promoting or doing anything else so the lyrics are polished to an almost perfect shine. Midnights was made in the middle of not just regular working hours for her but in the middle of her also doing rereleases and planning a massive tour. I think the lyrics probably just didn’t get enough attention relative to the previous few albums. That’s not to say they don’t have good moments but I think there are a lot rougher sections that might have been smoothed with another pass

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naygrknW6wc

Excited to hear how the rest of the album sounds! I thought for sure it was coming out this year but apparently it doesn't drop until February.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Midnights just isn’t that hot of an album. It’s okay it happens. There’s still plenty of great tracks on there

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I def like it and the lyrics much more than Lover

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naygrknW6wc

Excited to hear how the rest of the album sounds! I thought for sure it was coming out this year but apparently it doesn't drop until February.

I'm glad they're playing Misery Business again because, let's be honest, being a petty bitch is really fun sometimes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Seeing Carly in 2 hours(ish), gonna need a gofundme for my blown mind plz send funds

edit: RIP My mind and also my eardrums that ending was *loud*

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 6, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

After thinking on it more the most impressive part of the show was how good she sounded. This was a 2 hour, almost 30 song show at the very end of the tour and her voice sounded so good! I think she sounded much stronger and more confident than a few years ago. I’m sure she was able to cut loose a little more since she didn’t have anyone else to hold back for, so she hit the big notes all the way through to the end. The show itself also felt more compete, the set and video screen were nice additions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’ve seen Carly three times since 2016 and her show
in Boston was definitely the best live performance she’s given yet. It also helps that she has a well of at least 30 no-filler bangers that everyone knows the words to. Maybe she really did quit smoking those cigarettes!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These setlists look amazing but This Love Isn’t Crazy is an odd choice to open with

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It absolutely kills.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

These setlists look amazing but This Love Isn’t Crazy is an odd choice to open with

You’re not wrong in theory but it almost feels like a prelude/“hey pay attention” for the actual party starter in Run Away. Can’t have people talking through the sax and you can’t start that song any other way

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 7, 2022

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know if there's much crossover between here and the indie thread but I'm seeing Magdalena Bay in Nashville on the 19th and I can't wait. Maybe not CRJ-level but I'm still stoked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ben9qDbrLYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLCHvRsgRQ

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
This one's for all the Jack Antonoff fans in the thread lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1d9PiRAJNM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/-reWOAAGxsU

Props to pitchfork to turning me on to this album, it’s a Singaporean pop group moving towards that 90s indie sound ala Beabadoobie (who I think they compare favorably to).