Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not sure which thread this goes it

But the year is 2022, I haven't played Lego Racers in at least 15 years but I still get this song in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILmUEuxU_c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Len posted:

Not sure which thread this goes it

But the year is 2022, I haven't played Lego Racers in at least 15 years but I still get this song in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILmUEuxU_c

Lego Racers owned

same but a different lego game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The inventory limit in Signalis combined with the tool system absolutely sucks the fun out of the game. Especially when, for example, the flashlight is explicitly mentioned as being shoulder-mounted, so why the hell is it both taking an inventory slot and the tool slot? And there's nothing more tedious than walking out of the safe room with like a gun, a tool, and a healing item then finding some ammo, a different tool, a key card, and then a plot item that all take up different slots instantly filling up the inventory and forcing you to either go back or throw something out.

Like, it's not making a choice about what sort of equient I want to bring with me to even the odds, it's literally a question about if I want to weaken myself to reduce the amount of tedium there is in how many times I need to return to drop off scraps of stuff I'm finding.

There's just too much variety of stuff, I guess is a big problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
apparently that complaint is widespread enough so that the devs are looking into ways to expand it

i do understand making the flashlight take up a slot (because several puzzles use it and in true sadist fashion the game tries to catch you flatfooted and unequipped) but at least give tools a separate category or something. let me carry two tools and six other items, surely that won't break the balance

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-mZ_-g0Fto

PIZZA PIIIIIEEEEE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The thing driving lego island down is that the dev team had a bonus in their contract for the game completion milestone, so Mindscape fired everyone the day before it shipped.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The thing driving lego island down is that the dev team had a bonus in their contract for the game completion milestone, so Mindscape fired everyone the day before it shipped.

Jesus, what the flying gently caress?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

God, for real. That second point gets even more annoying when the actual steps you need to do take a while. Like once I'm climbing up the statue to swing over to the block I need to push, there's an NPC shouting at me "I think we need something heavy to press this button!" and by the time I get to the rope to swing over to the block they're shouting "I don't see anything we can use to press this button down here!" and then while I'm slowly pushing the block they're shouting "oh, I think I see something up on that platform! Can you go check it out?" Yeah dude, I figured it out like 5 minutes ago! Thanks!!!
Games have so many options these days to customize your experience and difficulty, from auto aim to AI to some games like Control with plain invincibility, you'd think they could make a slider for those that goes from "frequent and unprompted" to "off or only on request".

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Games have so many options these days to customize your experience and difficulty, from auto aim to AI to some games like Control with plain invincibility, you'd think they could make a slider for those that goes from "frequent and unprompted" to "off or only on request".

Some of the later Tomb Raiders do have that option I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pseudohog posted:

Some of the later Tomb Raiders do have that option I think.

Yeah they do.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The inventory limit in Signalis combined with the tool system absolutely sucks the fun out of the game. Especially when, for example, the flashlight is explicitly mentioned as being shoulder-mounted, so why the hell is it both taking an inventory slot and the tool slot? And there's nothing more tedious than walking out of the safe room with like a gun, a tool, and a healing item then finding some ammo, a different tool, a key card, and then a plot item that all take up different slots instantly filling up the inventory and forcing you to either go back or throw something out.

Like, it's not making a choice about what sort of equient I want to bring with me to even the odds, it's literally a question about if I want to weaken myself to reduce the amount of tedium there is in how many times I need to return to drop off scraps of stuff I'm finding.

There's just too much variety of stuff, I guess is a big problem.

Yeah, that's why I went and used cheat engine to give myself unlimited ammo the first time I ran into it. No longer having to carry around additional weapons and ammo boxes frees up enough item slots to let my carry around all the various plot items for a given area in one go. I can see what they're going for with wanting players to have to balance utility vs combat capability, but in practice it's just tedious padding.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Pizaz

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

The worst is when it's an environmental thing that's instant killing you and the difficulty doesn't matter.

Looking at you God of War 1. Setting the game to easy doesn't suddenly make the escape from Hades easy

Also even the gamers that think they know everything end up needing tutorials or they end up on the internet complaining about the game being hard and confusing

I like games where you can skip the tutorials but then the game is like “ok, but if you ever need a refresher it’s all in the tutorial menu” for when you sheepishly need to crawl back later

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I like games where you can skip the tutorials but then the game is like “ok, but if you ever need a refresher it’s all in the tutorial menu” for when you sheepishly need to crawl back later

Persistent onscreen control prompts have been a boon for me, especially in something like RDR2 where I come back to chill and vibe in the wilderness now and then, and each button pulls like triple duty in context sensitive actions.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm replaying Far Cry 5 and while there are some big things that bug me, the little thing that bugs me is that the NPCs use gender neutral pronouns referring to the PC when the game lets you pick the PC's gender right at the start. I'm assuming this is so that Ubisoft didn't have to go to the trouble and expense of recording and animating these dialogues twice for the male and female PCs, and not in an attempt to be inclusive of nonbinary PCs and players, because...well, that seems really unlikely to me given that it's Ubisoft.

It annoys me because this could easily be avoided in the game by writing dialogue that doesn't use pronouns at all. IIRC there's a moment when two NPCs are standing over the PC's apparently unconscious body, and one says something like, "So this is the deputy we've been hearing about. Let's move their body over there." This could easily have been, "So this is the menace we've been hearing about. Let's move the deputy over there." Or whatever. Doing it like that doesn't misgender the PC, also includes players who are imagining their PC to be nonbinary, and wouldn't cost the game devs a thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous tries very hard to put explanations for everything in the game, with tooltip pop-ups on top of tooltip pop-ups if you want them, but some stuff is omitted. There are multiple spells and special abilities and items that protect you from Nauseated, for example, but I have no deal what that effect actually does in this game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know, I know, it's a Kojima game, but I wish Death Stranding wasn't so talky. A lot of it's one of the best games in a while for podcasts/audiobooks, but I'm like 8 hours in and Plot Explainman is still calling me up all the time to explain basic stuff :negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
death stranding has an overabundance of dialogue and a near-total absence of character voice, it's not a good combo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

marshmallow creep posted:

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous tries very hard to put explanations for everything in the game, with tooltip pop-ups on top of tooltip pop-ups if you want them, but some stuff is omitted. There are multiple spells and special abilities and items that protect you from Nauseated, for example, but I have no deal what that effect actually does in this game.

Almost every status effect does one of the same two things - if not a combination of them. Lower your saves or scores, or restrict actions you can take. Not that it isn't poo poo they don't tell you. "Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn." It's a real poo poo one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know, I know, it's a Kojima game, but I wish Death Stranding wasn't so talky. A lot of it's one of the best games in a while for podcasts/audiobooks, but I'm like 8 hours in and Plot Explainman is still calling me up all the time to explain basic stuff :negative:

*jingle*

Sam,

if you want to optimize your podcast or audiobook listening experience, you can decide to speed up your recording. Depending on what you are currently using you could go with 1.2 speed or 1.5 speed. If you are feeling particularly daring, you could even go with 2.0 speed. However, be aware that could lead to your missing important details or not getting jokes if you weren't paying full attention. You could also decide to ignore speeding up your audio entirely, if you think quality is important than quantity.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, it's very obtuse at the best of times, and that's speaking as somebody who actually plays a fair bit of TTRPGs (just not Pathfinder in particular). My first run-in with that was when I picked the one undead dhampir race for my first character. It does the usual D&D undead thing where positive energy healing spells hurt you while negative energy damage spells heal you, basically the exact inverse to living characters. But then there was also a feat that read something like "You're a half-blood with mortal aspects, so channeled positive energy also heals you instead of harming you, as it would a living being".

I picked it since it seemed like a sweet deal to get the best of both worlds, with both positive and negative energy spells healing me. Except then I tried it with a healing spell and promptly ate poo poo as it still damaged me as it would a zombie. At first I thought the feat was just plain bugged, but the reason turns out to be even dumber: It applies to only one single spell called "Channel Positive Energy", whereas every other healing spell (of which there are a lot, most of them better than channel energy) still damages me as if I was a zombie.

As I hear, that's not the only outright trap option like that in Pathfinder, either. Lots of things in there that are so highly specific as to be functionally useless.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mierenneuker posted:

*jingle*

Sam,

if you want to optimize your podcast or audiobook listening experience, you can decide to speed up your recording. Depending on what you are currently using you could go with 1.2 speed or 1.5 speed. If you are feeling particularly daring, you could even go with 2.0 speed. However, be aware that could lead to your missing important details or not getting jokes if you weren't paying full attention. You could also decide to ignore speeding up your audio entirely, if you think quality is important than quantity.

Sam, it’s me, permabanned porter packagestomper58. i first started delivering packages when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "likes" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "beached things" and "i love making GBS threads inside porter suits" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of MULE humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" MULEs to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The Hive Knight in Hollow Knight would be a good boss fight if the runback wasn't so long through some tough enemies that require patience. gently caress this as a means of adding difficulty, it's basically wasting my time as a mechanic. It's not a challenge because by the point you can reach the boss, you know how to beat these enemies, it just takes time. It's weird because there is a shortcut they've added but it's still a ways to retry to boss. Just put a bench outside the boss room. There, done. I think it's best I look elsewhere for upgrades so I can just melt him next time I see him, three goes is my limit now

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Nov 2, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

*jingle*

Sam,

:supaburn:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Walton Simons posted:

The Hive Knight in Hollow Knight would be a good boss fight if the runback wasn't so long through some tough enemies that require patience. gently caress this as a means of adding difficulty, it's basically wasting my time as a mechanic. It's not a challenge because by the point you can reach the boss, you know how to beat these enemies, it just takes time. It's weird because there is a shortcut they've added but it's still a ways to retry to boss. Just put a bench outside the boss room. There, done. I think it's best I look elsewhere for upgrades so I can just melt him next time I see him, three goes is my limit now

The idea of a boss run is one of the worst things of the soulslike genre, yet is somehow copied by everyone, and one of the greatest things Elden Ring did was eliminating it for almost every boss in the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Loud Bird in Dicey Dungeons is a mother fucker

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Loud Bird in Dicey Dungeons is a mother fucker

You could insert ohhh..80% of the enemies into that statement and it would be true.

But then, I emphatically did not like DD...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I did it on my first try, but the final QTE at the end of the many final bosses, (it's cool but a hell of a gauntlet) during the ending of Kirby and the Forgotten Lands is absolutely brutal.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Walton Simons posted:

Have you considered using the Dreamgate?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Catpain Slack posted:

Have you considered using the Dreamgate?

If I remember you need to give that moth lady a large amount of essence in order to get the best ending and you use essence every time you take a dream gate. Wouldn't getting more essence be a pain in the rear end? I don't remember if there's a way to farm it other than going back and beating dream bosses.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The dreamgate only costs like 1 essence, and the amount of onee-time essence in the game is significantly higher than the amount you need to 100% the game. Specifically you need 2400 and there is 3208 from bosses and collectibles, so if you grab all that stuff you can dreamgate warp 808 times(!) without having to worry.

Dream bosses are one-time only and dont let you farm more essence by re-fighting them, but there is a rare chance for normal enemies to randomly drop it so it's technically infinitely farmable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arrath posted:

Persistent onscreen control prompts have been a boon for me, especially in something like RDR2 where I come back to chill and vibe in the wilderness now and then, and each button pulls like triple duty in context sensitive actions.

For sure. I never would have gotten into Monster Hunter if it lacked that onscreen button prompt system that shows you everything you can do from a current position or combo. I still think the controls themselves are inscrutable as they slip my mind the moment I turn it off but it was invaluable for learning them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The dreamgate only costs like 1 essence, and the amount of onee-time essence in the game is significantly higher than the amount you need to 100% the game. Specifically you need 2400 and there is 3208 from bosses and collectibles, so if you grab all that stuff you can dreamgate warp 808 times(!) without having to worry.

Dream bosses are one-time only and dont let you farm more essence by re-fighting them, but there is a rare chance for normal enemies to randomly drop it so it's technically infinitely farmable.

In fact normal enemies used to never drop essence, but once they added Dreamgate they added it in specifically so that you could Dreamgate now and then without worrying too hard.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If your game has things that it needs to be online for, and putting your console in sleep mode knocks it offline, give me a button I can press to reconnect rather than having to close the game completely and start it all over

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

The idea of a boss run is one of the worst things of the soulslike genre, yet is somehow copied by everyone, and one of the greatest things Elden Ring did was eliminating it for almost every boss in the game.

Agreed. It's made worse when you reach the point where you can easily lay waste to the 13 enemies in your path but haven't mastered the boss yet and just want to do that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. It's made worse when you reach the point where you can easily lay waste to the 13 enemies in your path but haven't mastered the boss yet and just want to do that.

One of the many secret ways that Dark Souls 2 was the best one: because extinction mechanics eventually get rid of the enemies you can easily scrap through in front of a boss you struggle with.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS2 was also paced differently so for a lot of bosses there was still a runback, but it wasn't retrace 80% of the entire level bad. Then DS3 went right back to gently caress you distances between bonfires and fog gates.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing Assassins Creed: Rogue because I somehow skipped over it originally. This isn't unique to this or even the AC games in general but I cannot loving stand when you're in the middle of a quest the questgiver keeps prompting you to move forward in the quest. And it's the same line or two over and over.

Like dude I get it, I gotta go to my boat or whatever shut up I'm collecting songs here!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A little more on Blasphemous: I'm getting used to the control scheme and "clunkiness" a bit more. I had just come from playing a lot of Dead Cells, so my brain and hands were used to the snappier controls, just had to get back into the mindset of "pretend it's 2D Dark Souls" and really plan out attacks and dodges and such.

But some enemies are just really annoying in their movement/attacks. Overall, the tracking is nasty. I'm used to most games where if an enemy starts an attack like flashes or does some other "tell", I can move and the attack will go to where I was. In Blasphemous, a lot of attacks track for longer. I don't know how to describe it, but rathe than "lock on" to where you were when they START an attack sequence, they lock on to where you are at the last possible instant of an attack.

The worst are the reaper guys that hang off the bells, and the ghosts that shoot lasers.
(looking them up on a wiki, they are the Cimbalillo (https://blasphemous.fandom.com/wiki/Cimbalillo) and the Ghastly Baroness, Wax Version (https://blasphemous.fandom.com/wiki/Cimbalillo))

The Cimbalillo just LOVES to fly right above where you can hit it, even with an upward slash, then fly towards you at a terrible angle, especially if you're in a corner with a pit nearby. To my point above re: attack tracking, it flashes a few times before flying at you. If you move when it first starts to flash...it will fly towards your NEW spot. You really can't start to move out of the way until he actually starts moving himself, but often due to his speed and how I might be in a corner or something, that's too late and I'll take a hit.

The Baroness flashes in out nowhere and blasts you with super fast lasers until you get close enough to hit her. But if you miss, or are too slow once you get near, she disappears and pop back in somewhere else and another laser comes out, two, actually, if you're aren't fast enough to get to her in time.

And once again, if you move when you first see her pop in but before the laser comes out...too bad, the laser "decides" where to go basically the instant it starts, so you can't really ever "beat it" unless you get something in-between you and it.

And a more general complaint is my health...I found an extra health restore vial, and two health increases. But the health vials restore like 1/5 of my bar, so I'm not sure if I missed more of them, or if there's a way to upgrade them to heal more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm liking Death Stranding quite a bit more overall compared to when I tried it a few years ago, especially sneaking around and blowing up ghosts didn't bother me this time around. But I still just don't enjoy the MULE camps. Getting mobbed and shot at by twenty angry bandits just doesn't fit well for me with the bulk of the game where you're methodically working through obstacles all on your lonesome. At least you can just punch your way through entire mobs on lower difficulties, making it something you don't have to worry about dying from.