Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Oh man I hope locked account sub 100 followers suicidal anime PFP twitter is left alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Ya but on twitter there's a chance some girl with a hot profile pic will click the heart on one of your jokes

like my new favorite twitter user DJ Strap-on Bimbo
https://twitter.com/notmarcelines absolutely notSAFE FOR WORK

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

jimmyjams posted:

what is Twitter

QCS but for the whole internet

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

twitter? more like shitter!

People are starting to say this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

So like, SA is going to be just a bunch of bots now too?

At $10 a pop we'll finally be able to afford that Xenforo upgrade.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Bad Purchase posted:

i wonder how many small, insular communities from the early internet still exist where the users say "this is the only good social website remaining on the entire internet, all the other stuff is full of ads and nazi trash"

this can't be the only one

A few years back I stumbled upon the Hampster Dance forums. There were like 20 people and they were using it as basically a private chat room. It finally went under earlier this year, I'd just have to hope they all exchanged contact information

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

i wonder how many small, insular communities from the early internet still exist where the users say "this is the only good social website remaining on the entire internet, all the other stuff is full of ads and nazi trash"

this can't be the only one

Most of usenet was implying this in the early 2010s.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Where is horse_ebooks though, that’s the only account I cared about.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

funeral home DJ posted:

Where is horse_ebooks though, that’s the only account I cared about.

like most things it got bought by finance bros and died

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand

Icochet posted:

I hear jenkem is coming back big time

There's a guy called Jenkem Delivery who might be able to help

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Apparently elon fired the entire board and appointed himself the sole director. Lmao

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Sole Twit

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If you're able to be the head of three different companies I'm starting to think those people don't actually do all that much

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

If you're able to be the head of three different companies I'm starting to think those people don't actually do all that much

Don't question your betters, plebe

They work even when they sleep for they are dreaming of new avenues of growth. What do you do when you sleep? DREAM like some kind of SUCKER?

If avarice and pride doesn't drive your every thought, conscious and unconscious, then you clearly just don't WANT RICHES ENOUGH TO DESERVE THEM

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I guess General Motors has "paused" their advertising on Twitter due to concerns about the new ownership. Musk has been in charge for literal days and companies are already distancing themselves from Twitter.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

GM also directly competes with one of elon's other companies. wouldn't be surprised if more car companies decide not to enrich their competitor with ad buys.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

GM also directly competes with one of elon's other companies. wouldn't be surprised if more car companies decide not to enrich their competitor with ad buys.

Good point - I hadn't considered that.

Still, I would love to see an exodus of advertisers as Twitter descends into a morass of the n-word and cryptoscams.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
He wants to charge $20 a month for a blue checkmark and has told a team that if they don't complete this by Nov 9, they are fired.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bonzo posted:

He wants to charge $20 a month for a blue checkmark and has told a team that if they don't complete this by Nov 9, they are fired.

Sounds like "do your job" to me? How long does it take an entire team of silicon valley engineers to implement something like this.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im just glad that everyone who's leaving twitter is coming here

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

one of the most tolerable places online

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yep. the quality of poster is going way down and that is causing my posting credit to skyrocket in comparison

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

this thread needs a 144 character limit

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yep. the quality of poster is going way down and that is causing my posting credit to skyrocket in comparison

:thunk:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

could a mod please verify me as an important user before all the new accounts flood this place?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Give me 20 bucks and I'll definitely do it

Seems to be the going rate these days

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Twitter refuse thread

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Sounds like "do your job" to me? How long does it take an entire team of silicon valley engineers to implement something like this.

This made me think a bit, the difficulty is probably not at all on the engineer side, but on the PM/compliance/legal side:

Is this *all* blue checks? Including politicians, resistance leaders, non-profits, etc. anywhere in the world? Would be a bad look to charge all those folks with law-making powers.
How will they pay? does Twitter have the ability to clear funds world wide? What about sanctioned countries/individuals?
How will twitter manage billing address/details of these accounts?
When do they need to start paying?
What will happen if they don't, will they be demoted to white check? regular poster? Will people be allowed to impersonate?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bone Crimes posted:

Is this *all* blue checks? Including politicians, resistance leaders, non-profits, etc. anywhere in the world?

Surely Elon’s Galactic Empire wouldn’t charge Princess Leia 20 credits, would they?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*sighing, the Pope takes his credit card from his wallet*

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Surely Elon’s Galactic Empire wouldn’t charge Princess Leia 20 credits, would they?

I'm sure the Elmperor has fully thought through all of this fully and there is not a single gap or flaw in the plan.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Bone Crimes posted:

This made me think a bit, the difficulty is probably not at all on the engineer side, but on the PM/compliance/legal side:

Is this *all* blue checks? Including politicians, resistance leaders, non-profits, etc. anywhere in the world? Would be a bad look to charge all those folks with law-making powers.
How will they pay? does Twitter have the ability to clear funds world wide? What about sanctioned countries/individuals?
How will twitter manage billing address/details of these accounts?
When do they need to start paying?
What will happen if they don't, will they be demoted to white check? regular poster? Will people be allowed to impersonate?

I dunno it seems like the less important part is what month they start paying. What you need to do is make it so that by default maybe via cron job nobody has a blue checkmark. If you want to keep it you need to have paid into the service.

So, there's a payment gateway and everyone who's a blue checkmark gets a little email about it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

See pay me a million bucks a year or whatever these overpaid jerks make.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

some posting tips for twitter posters:
if you like posting about politics go straight to d&d. bye.
never post in cspam
have fun

otoh, post in cspam

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

If that is a veiled criticism about me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I dunno it seems like the less important part is what month they start paying. What you need to do is make it so that by default maybe via cron job nobody has a blue checkmark. If you want to keep it you need to have paid into the service.

So, there's a payment gateway and everyone who's a blue checkmark gets a little email about it.

Hmm yes, this seems like some good thinking. Elon should just threaten all the blue checks that they will be deleted by some time and otherwise to pay up. No way that could go wrong.

Also it turns out that:

quote:

We’ve launched Twitter Blue in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. In these regions, Twitter Blue is available for in-app purchase on Twitter for iOS and Android, or on twitter.com through our payment partner Stripe.

They don't have payment facilities, except in 4 countries. get boned @pontifex

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Blue checkmarks stopped meaning anything a long time ago when they stripped the icon from people they didn't like. It used to mean they were who they said they were. Not anymore so what's the difference.

You want to be the president of Nigeria without a blue checkmark next to your name? Who cares.

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

elon: finally i will create a free speech utopia free of content moderation, now how does this thing make money
remaining staff: advertisements
advertisers: we probably wont pay to advertise here if people type slurs a lot
elon: wait so fundamentally our only product is content moderation
remaining staff: yes
elon: oh no

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

WD40 posted:

elon: finally i will create a free speech utopia free of content moderation, now how does this thing make money
remaining staff: advertisements
advertisers: we probably wont pay to advertise here if people type slurs a lot
elon: wait so fundamentally our only product is content moderation
remaining staff: yes
elon: oh no

they could monetize it in an afternoon if they felt like it

just switch to SA's :10bux::redhammer: policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Can we add a feature to the forums where the grenade next to your name can be changed to a blue checkmark for $20? This is a market just waiting to be tapped.