Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

H110Hawk posted:

Nice! Got a link?

We used a construction heater for quite a while while we were building. Looks like the same beast as garage heaters. They're pretty basic - a heating element (that looked like it came from a stove) and a thermostat. No tip-over or overheat cutoff protection like the 120v consumer space heaters. Worked fine as long as you give it the respect due any space heater. That was quite a while ago so maybe modern versions have more protection.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

New pneumatic nailgun has warnings all over the documentation not to run it off an acetylene tank, and now i really wanna meet the guy who inspired all that and shake what's left of his hand

drat. Now I'm thinking about what would be necessary to make that happen. What is wrong with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

H110Hawk posted:

Nice! Got a link?

https://morelectricheating.com/portable-space-heaters/portable-240v-space-heaters

I absolutely want to find another 240-volt heater, because the one we have goes from 0 to comfortable fast. I'm concerned that many of the garage heaters don't have much in the way of safety features -- finger-proof grills, tipover protection, and so on. I can find a lot of European 220-volt heaters. Would it be safe if I had a proper electrician replace the plug?

https://www.worldwidevoltage.com/electric-heater-for-220-volts.html

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

New pneumatic nailgun has warnings all over the documentation not to run it off an acetylene tank, and now i really wanna meet the guy who inspired all that and shake what's left of his hand

what kind you get??

My "fave" nailgun story is the old timers that wired the trigger down so it would fire whenever the safety got depressed... all well and good until some guy was standing near the edge of the second floor deck holding his gun by his side and another framer was climbing up a ladder and bumped his head against the nozzle of the nailgun and took a 16d nail to the brain and died :pressf:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Please post a picture this is amazing.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Seconded, I need that picture in my life.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Could you run it off a propane tank though? Or are those not high pressure enough?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Can you run it off natural gas? There's the great story of the supply boat that needed a jump start from the rig it was working and got gas instead of compressed air and exploded.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squibbles posted:

Could you run it off a propane tank though? Or are those not high pressure enough?

I have an old propane tank that my house's previous converted to a compressed air tank and it can run a brad nailer easy. It'll do like 200 18 gauge shots or something like that if I charge it to equilibrium with my shop compressor. And when it's charged it weighs much less than a full propane tank, so presumably it can go way higher in pressure (which I'm not going to test).

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Iirc there are nail guns that are specifically intended to run off propane. They use weird cartridges so people dont get hoses mixed with the air type

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Paslode uses butane propane.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Scored an old Frankenstein ratchet for $5 today. Kinda pumped on that. Works great.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

I have an old propane tank that my house's previous converted to a compressed air tank and it can run a brad nailer easy. It'll do like 200 18 gauge shots or something like that if I charge it to equilibrium with my shop compressor. And when it's charged it weighs much less than a full propane tank, so presumably it can go way higher in pressure (which I'm not going to test).

Uh yeah, please don't. Propane tanks hold liquid propane. That's why they weigh so much.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Literally A Person posted:

Scored an old Frankenstein ratchet for $5 today. Kinda pumped on that. Works great.

As great as a 24-tooth ratchet ever worked. I've got one and it's super cool but I never use it because I have new and finer toothed ratchets.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sharkytm posted:

As great as a 24-tooth ratchet ever worked. I've got one and it's super cool but I never use it because I have new and finer toothed ratchets.

Oh sure, but for 5 bucks and only to be used to change skate wheels, I am pleased.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Oh sure, but for 5 bucks and only to be used to change skate wheels, I am pleased.
So would I!

I still use mine, it's a wacky design that I enjoy. It's just not as practical as modern stuff.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Just like to throw out another anecdotal point for maybe avoiding EGO tools:

I got the power head and pole saw kit about six months ago, have used it maybe 3 or 4 times since then. Thursday I went out to use it to trim a couple branches, got halfway through the first branch and it just stopped entirely. Pulled it out and thought the blade bound at first, but the saw lifted out of the cut easily. Reseated the battery, tried a different battery, fully charged, etc - nothing, power head is completely dead. Tried EGO support and they seemed unwilling to honor the warranty. They asked for a bunch of troubleshooting - fully charge the battery, verify the battery in another tool, etc. After all of that they then mentioned that since I told them it first stopped while I was cutting that "it may not be covered by the warranty, as it could be damage from improper use".

Thankfully I thought to bring it to the service counter at my local Ace hardware where I bought it in the first place, and they're just going to swap the power head out for me no questions asked. Minus points for EGO warranty, but plus points for my local hardware store who I will now be strongly recommending to everyone I know.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

fralbjabar posted:

I got the power head and pole saw kit about six months ago, have used it maybe 3 or 4 times since then. Thursday I went out to use it to trim a couple branches, got halfway through the first branch and it just stopped entirely. Pulled it out and thought the blade bound at first, but the saw lifted out of the cut easily. Reseated the battery, tried a different battery, fully charged, etc - nothing, power head is completely dead. Tried EGO support and they seemed unwilling to honor the warranty. They asked for a bunch of troubleshooting - fully charge the battery, verify the battery in another tool, etc. After all of that they then mentioned that since I told them it first stopped while I was cutting that "it may not be covered by the warranty, as it could be damage from improper use".

Thankfully I thought to bring it to the service counter at my local Ace hardware where I bought it in the first place, and they're just going to swap the power head out for me no questions asked. Minus points for EGO warranty, but plus points for my local hardware store who I will now be strongly recommending to everyone I know.

Oh, you used the tool? Yeah, that's gonna invalidate the warranty. gently caress them. Good on your local hardware store, though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Speaking of EGO warranty fails. I've been waiting on a warranty battery for a while now and I finally got a shipping confirmation email but it just says "Shipped via " and has a 6 digit number for tracking. I'm not hopeful I actually have a new battery on the way.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

Please post a picture this is amazing.

Sorry the manual is basically unformatted, it doesn't look cool

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry the manual is basically unformatted, it doesn't look cool

So good. I love the random footnote.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

fralbjabar posted:

EGO has come down in quality badly ever since they hit the market about 10 years ago. I just replaced a string trimmer and everything feels noticeably cheaper. Really disappointing as their 1st generation equipment line was really good and lasted my a decade with any major issues and I don't think I'll be that lucky this time around.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 10, 2024

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been very happy with the couple Makita OPE items I've bought (18v brushless string trimmer and 36v leaf blower), but I only picked them because I was already in the Makita system for 18v hand tools. I've started looking around at electric self-propelled mowers, but I'm not sure if I'd be ok with the 36v mowers or if I should jump to a dedicated battery system on the mower. The last few comments have definitely made me decide to stay away from Ego, though.

I'll probably end up with Toro or Makita, depending on whether I want more 18v batteries for the hand tools or not.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Just had an interesting lesson with a Greenworks mower.

I've inherited my father in law's lawnmowers including a lightly used Greenworks that seems to be from 2016. Sometime in the intervening years Greenworks completely reworked the battery packs and Gen 2 batteries while they will fit in Gen 1 machines are "electrically incompatible" with the older machines. Fortunately I discovered this before I spent money on a useless pack. I can only find one source for a Gen 1 pack @$450 US. :stare:

This near new condition machine is probably heading for the dumpster. Not sure what the moral is, other than gently caress Greenworks. In future I'm going to be very cautious of companies with a small stable of tools and battery packs with no adapters available on AliExpress.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hexigrammus posted:

Just had an interesting lesson with a Greenworks mower.

I've inherited my father in law's lawnmowers including a lightly used Greenworks that seems to be from 2016. Sometime in the intervening years Greenworks completely reworked the battery packs and Gen 2 batteries while they will fit in Gen 1 machines are "electrically incompatible" with the older machines. Fortunately I discovered this before I spent money on a useless pack. I can only find one source for a Gen 1 pack @$450 US. :stare:

This near new condition machine is probably heading for the dumpster. Not sure what the moral is, other than gently caress Greenworks. In future I'm going to be very cautious of companies with a small stable of tools and battery packs with no adapters available on AliExpress.

Can you not find a battery rebuilding place that can handle the originals?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Gonna have to implore you to click this link:

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/d/coos-bay-band-saw-charles-wright-co/7542176488.html

:stonklol: ever wonder what a $20 bandsaw looks like?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

would

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Would buy and fix the wiring if I had room for something that big...and wasn't in California.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

fralbjabar posted:

Sheesh. Really hoping I never need to use my warranty.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Yeah, I'm far too invested in the system now at 6 tools / 4 batteries to swap systems unless lots of things start going bad at once, but I'm definitely going to be less eager to buy more EGO stuff from now on. If all of it did spontaneously die I'm not sure what I'd go to, I have m18 batteries but none of the HO batteries which I think are required for the Milwaukee lawn tools. I'm not sure if Greenworks would be any better than EGO in terms of warranty and support, maybe Ryobi 40v? I've heard good things. The whole market will probably be different whenever it's time for me to replace things though, my older EGO stuff seems to be holding up pretty well at least.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Greenworks partnering with Costco gives them a lot of credibility in my book.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Home Depot has the cordless Milwaukee Fuel router with two 5AH batteries for $200. Seems…nuts?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
looking for some tool chests, don't need snap-on here but not sure it's worth cheaping out with harbor freight or whatever either?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Schiavona posted:

Home Depot has the cordless Milwaukee Fuel router with two 5AH batteries for $200. Seems…nuts?

You can get any of 13 tools with the battery pack for $199. The router and the fuel jigsaw are the best deals.

edit: link is here.

On top of that, in the last day or two the black Friday in-store deals went up. I saw the non-fuel hackzall at $79, 6.5" circular saw $99, bunch of others.

KS fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 1, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Paul MaudDib posted:

looking for some tool chests, don't need snap-on here but not sure it's worth cheaping out with harbor freight or whatever either?

You near Menards? I bought a Masterforce and absolutely love it. Very reasonable.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

In what size, for what purpose. Garage DIY, Professional, stationary, mobile?

harbor freight are excellent value, if you're not going to get professionally mocked or lose income if a wheel or drawer breaks, they are quite good.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Got a welder, don't ya? Build one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Please don't. I am only joking.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MRC48B posted:

In what size, for what purpose. Garage DIY, Professional, stationary, mobile?

harbor freight are excellent value, if you're not going to get professionally mocked or lose income if a wheel or drawer breaks, they are quite good.

Love my HF toolbox. It's decent holds tools. Would recommend.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Estates sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Got a welder, don't ya? Build one.

Guy I used to work with would do something like that.
Every drawer would be made with 1/4" steel.
Then when it broke because it was too fuckin heavy, he'd reinforce it with 1/4" steel.
Then he'd build something for it with steel box tube thats 1/4" wall.

And so on.