Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

No I’m literally gonna buy up liquidation auctions til I feel like I have something and then apply for a permit.

Two things:

#1 - Did you buy yourself that (honestly pretty rad) avatar, or did someone get it for you?
#2 - What in the christ-loving gently caress is Engineering Psychology?
#3 - (I lied about two things) How did those donuts taste? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

No I’m literally gonna buy up liquidation auctions til I feel like I have something and then apply for a permit.

Are you logging these expenses? If you manage to make money, and you haven't separated these business expenses from your personal expenses, you'll effectively pay tax on every dollar you spend at these auctions

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rationale posted:

I googled business plan again and it all slid right off my buttery smooth brain again

Sell donut $1 x sales
Sell coffee $1 x sales

- donut costs $.05
- coffee costs $.05

Boom easy money gonna be rich right.

Then - properly taxes
- electricity
- water / sewer / trash

Forget payroll and everything else for now. How many donuts and coffee do you have to sell to break even?

These will all be guesses at the beginning. But when the real numbers start coming in it will be instantly obvious where it's lacking or hosed up. Then you know where to try and unfuck it.

But at a minimum you should open with an incorrect but to the best of your ability guess of how many donuts you need to sell that day to not lose money.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rationale posted:

Borat voice my wife has a PhD in engineering psychology and worked fast food in the day

There’s 350 high school kids of driving age two miles away all day

The location is on the back way between two small cities

The location is the most convenient coffee and donut drive-through for miles around

Donuts can be sold above and beyond the building where they’re made

Donut truck, leased front with a thermoglazer, special delivery hotline, subscription service, wholesale, display cases inside other businesses-donuts have growth potential

Now do the thing that you would do if you did up a business plan and list out the downsides and things working against you.

It’s easy to see all the good points.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CarForumPoster posted:

“Man I’m ashamed of my white noise posts”

Do you ever wonder why you're the only one white knighting the OP?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

drat the school from the op has already lost two thirds of its students now instead of needing half of the student body to buy an espresso drink every day he needs them all to buy at least one a day

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Fortunately with one car every fifteen seconds driving by he just needs a quarter of them to stop for coffee in an eight hour day to serve five hundred beverages. This seems reasonable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sundae posted:

Two things:

#1 - Did you buy yourself that (honestly pretty rad) avatar, or did someone get it for you?
#2 - What in the christ-loving gently caress is Engineering Psychology?
#3 - (I lied about two things) How did those donuts taste? :)

EnPsy is another term for human factors stuff. It’s legitimate.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I refuse to treat the HMI people as legitimate engineer

Oh look at me I can see if the wrench fits

Ruining my elegant engineer designs

Im joking this is a parody of defense industry engineers attitudes towards human factors.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 31, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I mean they’re definitely not engineers but it’s a real discipline that actual engineers should maybe occasionally pay attention to

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Rudager posted:

Now do the thing that you would do if you did up a business plan and list out the downsides and things working against you.

It’s easy to see all the good points.

Problems to solve:

$0 daily average sales
$0 daily average production
No drive-thru
No coffee bar
No kitchen
No ada bathroom
No drinking fountain
No grease hood
No grease trap
No permit to do any of the above.
No regulars
No brand recognition
No vendor accounts
Kookoo brain sickness
Obesity
Not a doughnutiero

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Say what you like about the guy who tried to walk across America with a trolley and couldn't make it 20 miles but at least he didn't spaff tens of thousands of dollars on his doomed mania project

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

honda whisperer posted:

Sell donut $1 x sales
Sell coffee $1 x sales

- donut costs $.05
- coffee costs $.05

Boom easy money gonna be rich right.

Then - properly taxes
- electricity
- water / sewer / trash

Forget payroll and everything else for now. How many donuts and coffee do you have to sell to break even?

These will all be guesses at the beginning. But when the real numbers start coming in it will be instantly obvious where it's lacking or hosed up. Then you know where to try and unfuck it.

But at a minimum you should open with an incorrect but to the best of your ability guess of how many donuts you need to sell that day to not lose money.

Okay let’s figure 3k a month in bills before ingredients or $100 a day roughly so if I do a dozen dozen at .95 per I can buy a can of snuff and worry about the next surprise expense

I think with a little effort and personal growth I can make higher-margin donuts at the $20/dz price point in silly quantities every day.

If I can get standing orders for twenty dozen a day I’ll have like $180

The machine can fry like 40 dozen an hour or something.

So as a fully developed one-man show with two hours frying two hours prep two hours finish two hours cleanup two hours delivery for 60 dozen should net about $700 which is not bad except the machine could conceivably be frying donuts all day every day to net me like five grand

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

There's good precedent for not needing to understand any of that up to and including losing money on your first test sales before opening a location.

And yes, it's the idiot wannabe restaurant guy in Canada who ended up broke and divorced.

Bloody posted:

drat the school from the op has already lost two thirds of its students now instead of needing half of the student body to buy an espresso drink every day he needs them all to buy at least one a day

Wait until he figures out they don't go all year round.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I totally get if you buy enough machines, your supply capacity is high. The worrying part is the demand. You want to have 10 people preorder 2 dozen each (or 30 people preorder 2 dozen each?), every single day. There may be businesses that want a few dozen for big meetings or on Fridays, but on like a random Tuesday I'm not so sure.

I'm also not sure how the timing works out. You just described a 10-hour shift to get the preorders delivered, but if businesses want preorders, they'll want them in the morning, right? So those 10 hours are going to be overnight and then you're going to work a full day? And you'll be delivering them right when people come to your store before work? I don't think that's a one-person show.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Anne Whateley posted:

I totally get if you buy enough machines, your supply capacity is high. The worrying part is the demand. You want to have 10 people preorder 2 dozen each (or 30 people preorder 2 dozen each?), every single day. There may be businesses that want a few dozen for big meetings or on Fridays, but on like a random Tuesday I'm not so sure.

I'm also not sure how the timing works out. You just described a 10-hour shift to get the preorders delivered, but if businesses want preorders, they'll want them in the morning, right? So those 10 hours are going to be overnight and then you're going to work a full day? And you'll be delivering them right when people come to your store before work? I don't think that's a one-person show.

Yeah there’s no demand right now I’m going to have to make and sell donuts to build the sort of revenue stream I’d like to see before I’m hiring other people to make and sell donuts

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You need a bookkeeper. Have you asked your wife?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Unemployment pays enough to give away 12x12 Really Nice Donuts every day

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Rationale posted:

Unemployment pays enough to give away 12x12 Really Nice Donuts every day

Are you planning on operating the store while you’re laid off for the season or something? What does this mean

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You're already mucking winning cards, which wouldn't be too bad if you weren't so proud of it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ohh, like the Human Performance Analysis stuff? OK yeah that's real. I hadn't heard of it as Engineering Psychology before, if so. Carry on :haw:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

There's obviously a lot of not very well thought-out stuff going on here, but on the other hand I have friends who opened a sports bar because they like sports and have friends who like sports and its still going a few years later (although they all make minimum wage from it). I hope this works out for you donut guy!

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/6MtFrf6

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Seems to me as if you need some basic doughnut training.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’ll train your donut if you keep on

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

How does the derelict pickup fit into your plan?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Perhaps OP believes the truck will be useful or valuable in the future. Or they feel it has sentimental value, is unique and irreplaceable, or too big a bargain to throw away. They may also consider the truck a reminder that will jog their memory, thinking that without it they won’t remember an important person or event. Or because they can’t decide where the truck belongs, it’s better just to keep it

Keeping derelict pickups may be present on its own, or in association with OCPD, ADHD, and depression

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Donut delivery pick-up looking good

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Watch out man an elephant is about to crush that truck lol

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
The derelict pickup holds my firewood

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

The derelict pickup holds my firewood

Oh good, I was worried it was your second-hand food truck. :v:

But yeah, you made some donuts and own the location. I'm just here for the popcorn now; carry on, good goon. :salute:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Oh good, I was worried it was your second-hand food truck. :v:

But yeah, you made some donuts and own the location. I'm just here for the popcorn now; carry on, good goon. :salute:

I'm here for the donuts 🍩

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Perhaps OP believes the truck will be useful or valuable in the future. Or they feel it has sentimental value, is unique and irreplaceable, or too big a bargain to throw away. They may also consider the truck a reminder that will jog their memory, thinking that without it they won’t remember an important person or event. Or because they can’t decide where the truck belongs, it’s better just to keep it

Keeping derelict pickups may be present on its own, or in association with OCPD, ADHD, and depression

Are you literally an ancap?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Rationale posted:

Are you literally an ancap?

Oh, like you even understand what that means

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I don’t lol that shits wacky

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My avatar is not a flag, just a gift from a Video Game Friend that happens to use bumblebee colors

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Thank god I’m really bad at bullying people

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But you seem to respond really well to being bullied. You could save tens of thousands of dollars by opening a bank account. You stupid fucker

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I never thought I would write these words, but where is Zaurg to save us from this mediocre troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Rationale posted:

Absolutely perishable so rather than selling old donuts and coffee one should donate them to the local charitable organizations at closing time and write it off

Yeah from the first page but this deserves :lol: