Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Volguus posted:

My company has 2-3 days per year, demo days. I have one coming up in 2 weeks and it's kinda dumb since nothing I do has any user interface. Gotta come up with some poo poo to demo, more than just: "see, if you run this command, then this will happen" on a linux console.

Make a graph?

What do your scripts do? If they automate a process that used to be done by hand, talk about how much time the scripts save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've seen a lot of tests with service calls mocked like "when(funService.coolMethod(anyInt())).thenReturn(funThing)" in situations where that service method should be called with the same ID that the unit you're testing received as input (rather than any ID/int). That makes the test almost worthless as now you're not even ensuring that it's fetching the right object given the input. If the wrong variable is being passed on as the ID to the service method, or even if the service method is being called via a constant rather than the input, the test will still pass. I kinda despise the Mockito "any" matchers for this reason as it seems to encourage writing tests in this manner rather than generating a random ID/UUID to use as the unit input that is then also used in the relevant mock calls.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Our company has this insane focus on demoing things, to the point where the overhead of making demos takes 2x the actual work. "Demo driven development".

Are you really early in the process of building something and aren't even sure what you should be building yet? Constant demoing makes a lot of sense if you're just throwing things at the wall and seeing what seems like a good idea to pursue further.

In any other scenario that just seems weird.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gbut posted:

That must be a trend. We used to do team demos every sprint, and now they want every engineer to do a demo of their work.

I hope my interview goes well.

We do this

Every other Friday is reserved for sprint demos, a full 10% of all working hours is either spent doing or watching demos, not including time spent preparing for them

This is on top of 2-3 hours a week for extended demos on Tuesdays (but is optional)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LLSix posted:

Make a graph?

What do your scripts do? If they automate a process that used to be done by hand, talk about how much time the scripts save.

Ah no, we ... dial modems. And now we have a feature where the modems can be remote, not in the box, exposed via usbip, and the demo is that we can boot that remote box, expose them, pair with them, dial them, and have everything function like they're local.

I have some ideas, including making use of a little web frontend we have on the box that can show them and traffic going through, etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i swore that one day that i would write a 10, 50, 100ksloc dealio with 99% of testing being property tests

i'm a few months in and its going well lol

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

If I ask "Do you have unit testing for all your software" and they answer "Yes" meaning "We have some guy who follows a script to test things out manually", then I'll write them off as liars or salespeople.

If they say "Yes" meaning they have an automated system doing end to end testing and covers the overall functionality of large chunks of code rather than testing 50 line functions or whatever, then that's cool and they are cool people.

you forgot to ask if the tests pass

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Plorkyeran posted:

Are you really early in the process of building something and aren't even sure what you should be building yet? Constant demoing makes a lot of sense if you're just throwing things at the wall and seeing what seems like a good idea to pursue further.

In any other scenario that just seems weird.

We're fairly early in our project so yes, you do make a good point here! But the issue is that we start to bleed into other territories where things aren't defined at all and we're gluing components together because middle managers want to look good lol. So it ends up being a mashup of already working things, new things, and half implemented things.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Earlier this week my skip scheduled a meeting with himself, my manager, and myself with the subject "Exciting - Great news to share! (confidential)". We aren't doing promotions this cycle due to "economic concerns" which sucks because I made a really good case and probably would have gotten promoted... so I was surprised. I figured hey, maybe my manager and his skip got me a little RSU refresher or a slight raise. Nope, it was a one-time bonus of $3500, which is..... 18% of my yearly bonus and 1.8% of my salary.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Don't spend it all in one place.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Earlier this week my skip scheduled a meeting with himself, my manager, and myself with the subject "Exciting - Great news to share! (confidential)". We aren't doing promotions this cycle due to "economic concerns" which sucks because I made a really good case and probably would have gotten promoted... so I was surprised. I figured hey, maybe my manager and his skip got me a little RSU refresher or a slight raise. Nope, it was a one-time bonus of $3500, which is..... 18% of my yearly bonus and 1.8% of my salary.

:sever:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gbut posted:

That must be a trend. We used to do team demos every sprint, and now they want every engineer to do a demo of their work.

Yeah we have the former thing you're talking about, which isn't terrible I suppose, it's half an hour for one engineer on the team every two weeks (our sprint length). Thing is tho we're embedded C++ middleware guys, not web guys, we don't always have anything within the span of 10 working days that is really something you can demo (and have it look good, anyway, 'this bit goes doesn't crash 1% of the time any more' doesn't play that well visually).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think this was the last straw when I was briefly an Architect before getting laid off. Management just couldn't see the value of "I made it so all this code is replaced by an annotation", even when I put the pages of old code side-by-side with the one-liner that replaced them.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Cue the link to that Bill Atkinson story from the 80s.

It's been 40 loving years and some managers are still incapable of understanding the value of negative LoC, lol. This industry is poo poo and I hope "AI" replaces us all, them first.

e: https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Negative_2000_Lines_Of_Code.txt&characters=Bill+Atkinson

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Are folks here really openly admitting to sub-100% coding??? Wow, incredible

https://twitter.com/__eel__/status/1584616892446441472

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I love to spend 100% of the time causing problems for others to solve.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I love to spend 100% of the time causing problems for others to solve.

Oh, you’re literally me!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

Are folks here really openly admitting to sub-100% coding??? Wow, incredible

https://twitter.com/__eel__/status/1584616892446441472

Sounds best description of a code monkey. No developer process, just pure code writing. Imagine the company asking for that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Oh, you’re literally me!

holy poo poo i thought you were a person, but it turns out you're a cat

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm the guy blasting stinky farts in his cube because he can't get up from coding 100% in order to take a poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

holy poo poo i thought you were a person, but it turns out you're a cat

WHERE’S THE LIE.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

We were just doing sprint planning and there's barely any coding this sprint - just a lot of spiking, domain investigation, and design - at a very crucial part of a multi-quarter re-architecture. A manager remarked that there's not much development going on, and there was a confused look on her face when I said this is development.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I hired you to code, not to think!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

luchadornado posted:

We were just doing sprint planning and there's barely any coding this sprint - just a lot of spiking, domain investigation, and design - at a very crucial part of a multi-quarter re-architecture. A manager remarked that there's not much development going on, and there was a confused look on her face when I said this is development.

I'm going through this working through the architecture of a large system with people who've only ever worked on webapps before. It's not fun.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

We have now opened 2 more roles at the level I should have been promoted to, in addition to the role we just filled there, with someone that has a PhD and only 3.5 years of experience at a real company. I asked my manager why not promote internally and his answers were the most non-answers imaginable and they 100% just want to milk my contributions at my current level instead of recognize me. Complete joke. So excited to leave.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just interviewed with a company for the usual practice and market rate reality check, and the graybeard interviewer just so happened to have been on a previous incarnation of my old team from 10 years ago alongside my former tech lead. Small world!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

We have now opened 2 more roles at the level I should have been promoted to, in addition to the role we just filled there, with someone that has a PhD and only 3.5 years of experience at a real company. I asked my manager why not promote internally and his answers were the most non-answers imaginable and they 100% just want to milk my contributions at my current level instead of recognize me. Complete joke. So excited to leave.

I like to play the competing game, "How little can I contribute and for how long?" It's the phase in the employment cycle where you can learn new tech instead of just gain a deeper understanding of the arcane rules of the specific industry niche your company du jour happens to be in.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
One of the reasons I'm looking (on top of this bullshit) is because we are such a slow moving company bogged down by bullshit that it almost feels impossible to learn anything. I've written so much code that had taken agonizingly long to roll out.

- It takes 4+ hours to get a commit on CI built, many times falling after 3 because test retires have been exhausted.
- Code you write doesn't make it to production until at the very least 10 days after you merge it with strict requirements on what can be released each week.
- Rebasing the app and rebuilding takes about 35 minutes. Rerunning about 10 minutes each time.
- Teams have zero say over their own infra and the tech they can use. There are teams that control this.
- We are responsible for monitoring our infra but have limited access to AWS, so we can't really get insight into container issues, thread dumps, and the like when things go really south.
- Our features have been around so long that nobody on the team actually worked on building them or really even making changes so troubleshooting comes down to the tech lead only.

It feels 3-4x as long to make useful strides in terms of my learning progress as it did at startups.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

One of the reasons I'm looking (on top of this bullshit) is because we are such a slow moving company bogged down by bullshit that it almost feels impossible to learn anything. I've written so much code that had taken agonizingly long to roll out.

<bunch more stuff>

Dang, this sounds almost exactly like my current place. :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lmao leave that poo poo behind.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Its been over 8 years since the OP and in that time I got into Big G and just made Staff SWE/TLM. Thanks for all the advice along the way, thread!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Paolomania posted:

Its been over 8 years since the OP and in that time I got into Big G and just made Staff SWE/TLM. Thanks for all the advice along the way, thread!

Congratulations!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

- It takes 4+ hours to get a commit on CI built, many times falling after 3 because test retires have been exhausted.
- Code you write doesn't make it to production until at the very least 10 days after you merge it with strict requirements on what can be released each week.
- Rebasing the app and rebuilding takes about 35 minutes. Rerunning about 10 minutes each time.
- Teams have zero say over their own infra and the tech they can use. There are teams that control this.
- We are responsible for monitoring our infra but have limited access to AWS, so we can't really get insight into container issues, thread dumps, and the like when things go really south.
- Our features have been around so long that nobody on the team actually worked on building them or really even making changes so troubleshooting comes down to the tech lead only.

It feels 3-4x as long to make useful strides in terms of my learning progress as it did at startups.

This sounds like hell

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I hate long approval flows because you have to keep a state of mind over that specific code for as long as that approval flow runs because you might (more likely than not) have to return to it even if you end up just having to kick something to try again.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So what do we do if AI removes like 90% of our jobs?

Like say in three years an AI can do anything an L3 can do.

But even now there are fewer senior level jobs than people who could probably do them, just stuck at L4.

Humanity still has farmers but most of us don't need to farm anymore.

I don't mean vague "oh my job will get more efficient" + what's the specific job that you'll do instead? What's the specific job that today's L3s will do instead?

Keep in mind we're going into a tightening cycle so the easy money is gone and Uber-for-x layoffs will probably accelerate over that time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol fuckin oliveoil is BACK baby

followup question: what will we do if all computers turn to puppy dogs?????

i know what i'll do. i'll pet the dogs. it would be great if every computer (evil) turned into a puppy (good)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You have less to fear from AI than you do from humanity. Including your own.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I think rather than senior SWEs getting more productive at work, they start launching their own businesses and products.

Whereas right now you would need funding to hire a team if you want to found a startup, with AI replacing juniors you'd be able to lead a team of virtual juniors with much less funding. You'd basically just need to save some money for your own living expenses.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Can an AI even make a CRUD API yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I don't know, probably not hard to do. Bet I could figure it out in a weekend if my brain was working right.

E: oh wait an API. Thought of a UI for some reason. Bet you could automate a UI by hooking up dalle2 to gpt-3. One makes pictures and one makes text. That's all a UI really is, pictures and code in the form of text. That's 90% of the way.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2022