Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/AndradeRNegro2/status/1587159760020840449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ayyyyyyy

<3

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

fuuuuuck theres so many foreigners on twitter that dont know how our elections work, its actually funny

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1587023100016824320

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Starting to see the "The """Left""" shouldn't celebrate Lula's win bc he sent tanks to Haiti" point again.

https://twitter.com/grosmorne29/status/1586857464246374400

How much did Lula and PT to do address this and how close is this akin to saying "Castro hated gays" or whatever.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Oct 31, 2022

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kunster posted:

Starting to see the "The """Left""" shouldn't celebrate Lula's win bc he sent tanks to Haiti" point again. How much did Lula and PT to do address this and how close is this akin to saying "Castro hated gays" or whatever.

Eh. Lula, like FHC before him, was very keen on having Brazil join the UN Security Council. It was seen as a big deal, a third-world country joining the big leagues. The brazilian soccer tram even went there for a demonstration match, I guess as a soft power move. At the time, most people backed it, and only recently information of very grisly stuff done by brazilian troopers while there has surfaced, though far less people care about that, sadly.

The commander of that operation went full Bozo-fash, so it's a coin toss if the whole thing was a misguided move with some good intentions or just a marketing ploy that was made worse by a psycho local commander.

But yeah, given the context, anyone using that as a way to demobilize and wedge is likely either a leftier-than-thou type who was tired of having to back the anti-Bozo, or a glib lib who doesn't give a gently caress and is just trying to throw boogers at you from the left.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Both people I've seen boost this are commies, hence why I'm running this idea here to see if I should be suspicious of this. At least the op seems to be supportive of the idea of Lula's future government trying to make up for this, even if her main idea is "Biden being quick to congratulate Lula -> Lula will happily go and help US invade Haiti again".

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Kunster posted:

Both people I've seen boost this are commies, hence why I'm running this idea here to see if I should be suspicious of this. At least the op seems to be supportive of the idea of Lula's future government trying to make up for this, even if her main idea is "Biden being quick to congratulate Lula -> Lula will happily go and help US invade Haiti again".

The left loves to devour itself in ideological purity disputes instead of making sure the fachos stay down, no big news.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Been seeing a good deal of "U.S. is cool with Latin America now because Dark Brandon tweet congratulated Lula" takes today

https://twitter.com/tiredgenerally/status/1586894762526638081

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/jdabre11/status/1587197310727065601

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Maximo Roboto posted:

Been seeing a good deal of "U.S. is cool with Latin America now because Dark Brandon tweet congratulated Lula" takes today

this is so loving stupid i hate these people

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

THS2 posted:

this is so loving stupid i hate these people

You should definitely read the replies

https://twitter.com/ve4no_molodoi1/status/1587123084322115585

https://twitter.com/KarbonBuzzy/status/1587013097834745856

https://twitter.com/fcknestle/status/1564828537969860609

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
the context for Haiti is it was 2004 aka 3 years after Afghanistan and 1 after Iraq, Lula was bidding for Brazil's seat in the security council, it was a play to show we're also big, we too can do a liberal interventionism so don't gently caress with us

unfortunately the brazilian army is a literally irredeemable den of fascists at the higher levels thanks to we doing general amnesty for torturers and all sorts of psycho criminals after the military dictatorship ended

but there's a million things you can criticize PT's government from the left, it's a center-left party after all, compromises with liberals is par for the course, his VP literally hosed with school meal money when he was governor of São Paulo and yet here we are

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Oh yeah, there's plenty to gripe on about PT. From its unfocused industrial policy to its 'Ciencia sem Fronteiras' program that was meant to train students abroad and bring them home with skills, but often just had them hired in ther host countries and worsened brain drain in some fields.

And yes, there is a very hosed-up thing about how here the left seems to want to be better at being the Establishment than the actual establishment. Just in the last few years, we saw the left (myself included) cheer for the Supreme Court, the freaking Catholic Chich, and so on. Half of it was out of necessit, to bolster the few institutions that could hold back the poo poo-avalanche, but there was always a sense of "Hey, we can actually do governance BETTER than these so-called managers and entrepreneurs! And they kept calling us poor and incompetent! Who's laughing now? We're better at capitalism than the capitalists!"

Everyone has their own pet theory on the moment the brazilian burgoise went brain-broken. Was it 2013 with the protests? 2007, when the movie 'Tropa de elite' had everyone hyped for a cadre of uncorruptible cultish murderers as the salvation against crime? My own guess is when Obama hugged Lula on camera during a summit in 2009 and said "He's the Man." For our liberal, colonized elite who loves to think of itself as cosmopolitan and US-worthy, seeing that was a brain-crushing betrayal. Why was Saint Obama hugging that commie? Was he a commie too?? poo poo, maybe that whole Foro de Sao Paulo thing is real.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

I hate loving gringos who are incapable of understanding politics outside of the entirely US-centric perspectives.

Sephyr posted:

Oh yeah, there's plenty to gripe on about PT. From its unfocused industrial policy to its 'Ciencia sem Fronteiras' program that was meant to train students abroad and bring them home with skills, but often just had them hired in ther host countries and worsened brain drain in some fields.

And yes, there is a very hosed-up thing about how here the left seems to want to be better at being the Establishment than the actual establishment. Just in the last few years, we saw the left (myself included) cheer for the Supreme Court, the freaking Catholic Chich, and so on. Half of it was out of necessit, to bolster the few institutions that could hold back the poo poo-avalanche, but there was always a sense of "Hey, we can actually do governance BETTER than these so-called managers and entrepreneurs! And they kept calling us poor and incompetent! Who's laughing now? We're better at capitalism than the capitalists!"

Everyone has their own pet theory on the moment the brazilian burgoise went brain-broken. Was it 2013 with the protests? 2007, when the movie 'Tropa de elite' had everyone hyped for a cadre of uncorruptible cultish murderers as the salvation against crime? My own guess is when Obama hugged Lula on camera during a summit in 2009 and said "He's the Man." For our liberal, colonized elite who loves to think of itself as cosmopolitan and US-worthy, seeing that was a brain-crushing betrayal. Why was Saint Obama hugging that commie? Was he a commie too?? poo poo, maybe that whole Foro de Sao Paulo thing is real.

It's amazing how so much of the current strand of Bolsonarismo is just too loving stupid to understand subtext, so they need TEXT spelled out to them. Obama did more than anyone else on earth to crush the pink wave. But in public he would play nice and pretend to be on the same side. So he must be a commie.

It's like when Biden took office, praised Bolsonaro's handling of the amazon, and wanted to have an Amazon summit with him. And Bolsonaro instead of picking up on the blatant attempt to rehabilitate him, decides to instead threaten war.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/HoleAndOates/status/1586932931687481344?s=20&t=HwIbdDKVmUGaIDM5SZlP-Q

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miami, Israel and the one dude in China who was extremely mad about PT winning are the foreign bastions of Bolsonaro lol

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Under what definition is he not a liberal

Let's see. He's not a neo-liberal because he doesn't really believe in globalized trade, he's not a classical liberal because he doesn't believe in "democracy" or laissez-faire economics, he's not a US New Deal style big government program liberal, he's not a third way 90s liberal. So how is he a liberal?

He's a fascist-lite right-wing clown. Not to defend dumb libs or anything.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Love Rat posted:

Let's see. He's not a neo-liberal because he doesn't really believe in globalized trade, he's not a classical liberal because he doesn't believe in "democracy" or laissez-faire economics, he's not a US New Deal style big government program liberal, he's not a third way 90s liberal. So how is he a liberal?

He's a fascist-lite right-wing clown. Not to defend dumb libs or anything.

How does he not believe in globalized trade? He may not phrase it in grandiose Ricardian comparative advantages language, but he consistently slashed import tariffs.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

It's amazing how so much of the current strand of Bolsonarismo is just too loving stupid to understand subtext, so they need TEXT spelled out to them. Obama did more than anyone else on earth to crush the pink wave. But in public he would play nice and pretend to be on the same side. So he must be a commie.

Yes. I think it's part ignorance and part active rejection of the poltical theater, though. You don't need to go far to find people who -hate- PSDB and Fernando Henrique now, despite the fact that they were voting madly for them back then. They despise the fact that they did not crush the leftists as they should, or played nice and talked about progress. Doesn't matter that it was a cover: they want howling fanatics ike themselves, or gently caress off.

I think the cross-pollination of US hard-right media was a big factor. Olavo de Carvalho basically just opened loonie-right site like TownHall and Breitbart every day in Virginia, picked whatever conspiracies were easy to translate to match brazilian paranoia, and became a sensation. Hence Obama being a chinese infiltrator instead of a neoliberal social climber who never met a popular movement he did not implode (fucker sabotaged even an NBA worker strike!). And of course the Beatles were a soviet plot, with their songs actually written by Theordor Adorno to weaken the West.

I kinda wished he had lived to see the Russia-Ukraine war, because that fucker was getting BIG into 'Putin is a good christian conservative and Russia is a moral bastion against decadence', and it would have been funny to see his acolytes try tosquare the curcle and cheer for Russia. Hahahah no, gently caress that. I'm glad he croaked and the tragedy is that he was ever born.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Sephyr posted:

'Ciencia sem Fronteiras' program that was meant to train students abroad and bring them home with skills, but often just had them hired in ther host countries and worsened brain drain in some fields.

Those programs where you study abroad with scholarship if you don't stay in Brazil for X years after coming back you have to give back the money. Also, can't blame the students considering the job market here and other future prospects.

Looking at programs like Ciencia sem Fronteiras as causes for brain drain seems like missing the main issues.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Yes. I think it's part ignorance and part active rejection of the poltical theater, though. You don't need to go far to find people who -hate- PSDB and Fernando Henrique now, despite the fact that they were voting madly for them back then. They despise the fact that they did not crush the leftists as they should, or played nice and talked about progress. Doesn't matter that it was a cover: they want howling fanatics ike themselves, or gently caress off.

I think the cross-pollination of US hard-right media was a big factor. Olavo de Carvalho basically just opened loonie-right site like TownHall and Breitbart every day in Virginia, picked whatever conspiracies were easy to translate to match brazilian paranoia, and became a sensation. Hence Obama being a chinese infiltrator instead of a neoliberal social climber who never met a popular movement he did not implode (fucker sabotaged even an NBA worker strike!). And of course the Beatles were a soviet plot, with their songs actually written by Theordor Adorno to weaken the West.

I kinda wished he had lived to see the Russia-Ukraine war, because that fucker was getting BIG into 'Putin is a good christian conservative and Russia is a moral bastion against decadence', and it would have been funny to see his acolytes try tosquare the curcle and cheer for Russia. Hahahah no, gently caress that. I'm glad he croaked and the tragedy is that he was ever born.

But that is part of missing the subtext. FHC did the massacre at Carajas, went on national television and said "let this be a warning." He'd send the police to beat the hell out of the indians on the celebration of 500 years of discovery.

And yeah, orkut and whatsapp played a role too. You could see people going crazy in real time.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
No coup, but man the mood was abit eeire down here in Sud Est. Even the minority Lulaistas were just.. flat.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
People are already sending messages on the internet asking for the 'good citzens' to go protest in front of the military camps at your nearest city to ask for a military coup/intervention.

Has this ever happened in another country? Because lmao

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

how are right wing brazilians so brainwashed that they lived through two terms of lula general prosperity and now think hes going to implement atheist gay communism with a hostile legislature and judiciary. evangelical poo poo must be the worst thing to ever happen to brazil. US isnt any better but this kind of stuff still blows my mind

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

THS2 posted:

how are right wing brazilians so brainwashed that they lived through two terms of lula general prosperity and now think hes going to implement atheist gay communism with a hostile legislature and judiciary

Mental illness

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS2 posted:

how are right wing brazilians so brainwashed that they lived through two terms of lula general prosperity and now think hes going to implement atheist gay communism with a hostile legislature and judiciary. evangelical poo poo must be the worst thing to ever happen to brazil. US isnt any better but this kind of stuff still blows my mind

Right wing Brazillians consider the Lula government a disaster that caused a mass exodus of dirt poor nordestinos who spread crime throughout the world and tarnished the impeccable Brazillian reputation in places like Portugal.

This ignores how popular racist panic against Brazilians was irrelevant of PT and the Mães de Bragança scandals among others predate PT reaching power.

They blame European racism towards Brazilians as justified due to how bad Petistas behave, but they would never be victims of it because they're the good brazilians with german or italian family names.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

lol brazil still cares about portugal. Sad!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Miss Mowcher posted:

People are already sending messages on the internet asking for the 'good citzens' to go protest in front of the military camps at your nearest city to ask for a military coup/intervention.

Has this ever happened in another country? Because lmao

I just got one on WhatsApp. The military are gearing up...

...to trim some grass for Lula's inauguration. :cool:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/brwninh4/status/1587263994288537600/video/1

Like, just listen to this. At what point is this not considered mental illness?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

They blame European racism towards Brazilians as justified due to how bad Petistas behave, but they would never be victims of it because they're the good brazilians with german or italian family names.
think we need to do a goontube watch of bacurau sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9u75ASrikc

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
so the way i see it Bolsonaro failed to fulfill even one of the truckers demands ever since he was elected right? things only gotten worse for them as time went on.and now they're carrying water for him? it's not the agro people since they're pissed off and losing cargo and merchandise, so why do this besides bootlicking? the mind boggles, if I was hosed over for 4 years I'd be looking for the next thing

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nerdz posted:

so the way i see it Bolsonaro failed to fulfill even one of the truckers demands ever since he was elected right? things only gotten worse for them as time went on.and now they're carrying water for him? it's not the agro people since they're pissed off and losing cargo and merchandise, so why do this besides bootlicking? the mind boggles, if I was hosed over for 4 years I'd be looking for the next thing

There are actually very few big transportation companies in Brazil. Their owners are 100% bozo loons, and are not shy about getting their hired truckers to strike or cause trouble to make a point.

That is not to say that there are not bozo-loving solo truckers; there are. But as a category, they are fully muzzled by management. Hence why their 'leaders' mostly just whined about the fuel prices, but did not dare to stop because their bosses would fry them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The other thing to keep in mind is that because the police is treating these people with kids gloves a lot of these protests are tiny buy holding up a lot of traffic.

Like, 50 people blocked the access to Guarulhos. And witnesses said that PRF was just standing around talking to them.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

congrats to Brazil for surpassing Canada when it comes to Freedom Convoys

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mans posted:

Right wing Brazillians consider the Lula government a disaster that caused a mass exodus of dirt poor nordestinos who spread crime throughout the world and tarnished the impeccable Brazillian reputation in places like Portugal.

This ignores how popular racist panic against Brazilians was irrelevant of PT and the Mães de Bragança scandals among others predate PT reaching power.

Truly reactionary still holding on to an irrelevant nation like Portugal, even our reactionaries look and sound like villains from a globo novela

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
yeah gotta say, it's pretty funny to stumble upon one of those Portuguese reactionaries on Twitter every now and then. They're so funny trying to cling on to anything to make them feel superior to anyone else, to their long, long gone greatness that was lost in the stupidest series of mishaps possible

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Português correcto, meu caro.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
there’s a video of some truck drivers mistakenly believing that a coup happened and martial law was established. they start crying from happiness, cheering, hugging each other

it’s…. something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mans posted:

I honestly think that the three things that prevented tv stations from going from full Bolso after this election was the Libertarian party removing the former head of TVI as their leader, so they couldn't coordinate getting Manuela Moura Guedes to get a spot... somewhere telling the portuguese that Bolso was actually doing good and instead that devolving into a "free-for-all" station where they'll get people of different stripes to actually argue different points AND the indigenous activist that got a Cymerman interview where she successfully argued her point for constantly comparing her cause to zionism over and over again AND the alienation of every youtuber from private network television by making a documentary that managed to piss off everyone. Greenwald? Got a one page interview where he spent a chunk of it groverling about being an anti-corruption crusader. People fleeing the fires and paramilitary? Entirely framed as a "difference of opinion". Marielle Franco? Difference of Opinion, also that's Neo-colonialism. Any good done by Lula? We dragged the only housekeeper here that likes Bolsonaro. Nearly giving our president Covid? Difference of opinion. Wanna state anything about police massacres? Your spot to state your say is on an early afternoon on a weekday. Wanna say that the case for Lula's Freedom was a lie? Immediately after you told everyone how the government is going to handle COVID that week because you have a direct line with the government itself.

Honest Thief posted:

Português correcto, meu caro.

I remember, to this day, having to make a report on the link between grilled meat and cancer, and having to translate it into portuguese. The number of times where I had to use a long word from chemistry jargon and got back someone saying "That's a n-word word, please use proper portuguese" was so much that I had to go try and find a Pre-1974 dictionary ("where it was before we let savages try loving up our portuguese") to show HIM that it was proper portuguese and then have to go ask the overseer for this poo poo to tell him this was .... my awakening on just how the portuguese hate brazilians.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Nov 1, 2022