Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Musk can come in and fire the entire Board? What's even the point of a Board of Directors then? I thought Boards could convene and fire lovely CEOs if necessary, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Musk can come in and fire the entire Board? What's even the point of a Board of Directors then? I thought Boards could convene and fire lovely CEOs if necessary, not the other way around.

That's how it works if the CEO isn't also the owner. The board members act as the trustees of whoever owns the company, be that a person, a group of people, or the shareholders, which is why they can hire and fire principal officers of the company.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Public companies must by law have a board of directors elected by shareholders. The board acts on behalf of the shareholders and one of their primary responsibilities is to hire and fire the CEO and the CEO very much can't dissolve the board.

Musk bought Twitter though so it's no longer a public company. It's a private company and he and the other owners can do whatever they want with it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I like how CEOs have been crying about remote workers having multiple remote jobs, and fire them for it, but they can be the CEO of a bunch of companies at the same time. You'd think if the CEO was so important, they wouldn't have time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I had to go and look this up, and apparently in Delaware, where Twitter is registered, the Board of Directors of a Title 8 corporation only has to have a minimum of one member.

So what he's doing is totally legal, and left as an exercise to investors as to whether they think it's wise.

The investors are a bunch of his TechBro buddies and the House of Saud, who all seem pretty A-OK with the idea of despotism.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Owling Howl posted:

Public companies must by law have a board of directors elected by shareholders. The board acts on behalf of the shareholders and one of their primary responsibilities is to hire and fire the CEO and the CEO very much can't dissolve the board.

Musk bought Twitter though so it's no longer a public company. It's a private company and he and the other owners can do whatever they want with it.

Was Twitter public before Musk bought it? I think it was, so did the deal include a stock buyback thing then?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Was Twitter public before Musk bought it? I think it was, so did the deal include a stock buyback thing then?

Yes. Every stockholder got paid out 54.20 per share, which closed out the stock and made Twitter private again. I think there was some talk of certain investors getting equity in the private version of Twitter in exchange instead, like Jack and other investors close to Musk, but I'm not sure if that ended up happening.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The Saudis "kept" their shares - they published a letter saying that they were the 2nd largest investor in twitter now after Musk. (technically they got paid out like every other public investor/owner, and then bought back shares from Musk at the same price)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

unknown posted:

The Saudis "kept" their shares - they published a letter saying that they were the 2nd largest investor in twitter now after Musk. (technically they got paid out like every other public investor/owner, and then bought back shares from Musk at the same price)

I don’t know if it’s funnier if they paid fifty‐four dollars and twenty cents per share or if they did not.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know if it’s funnier if they paid fifty‐four dollars and twenty cents per share or if they did not.

Funnier if they did because some poor advisor might have explain 'weed number' to Saudi royals

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Surely THIS will be the event that causes people to finally stop using Twitter!!!!

Ah, nevertheless!

Xand_Man posted:

Funnier if they did because some poor advisor might have explain 'weed number' to Saudi royals

Lol if you think they care how much it costs, when they can use it to persecute political enemies.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

golden bubble posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/31/elon-musk-has-pulled-more-than-50-tesla-engineers-into-twitter.html

12 hour, 7 days a week shifts with impossible deadlines on ridiculous tasks while the CEO openly talks about how he wants to fire most of the employees without severance on both internal company documents and public record. This is an employment lawyer's wet dream. Every single employment lawyer in San Francisco should be standing in front of an Twitter office right now waiting for thousands of easy slam dunk court cases brewing inside those offices.

I'm curious about who is even giving Musk legal advice at this stage, given that Tesla has no legal counsel, and he just fired Twitter's.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Certainly none of those white-shoe dweebs at Perkins or Cooley.

withoutclass posted:

Probably just rides on the YouTube code/infra so does it take a lot extra to keep the lights on.

It does, you can just replace /shorts/ with watch?v= and have it play in the normal youtube format on desktop. Better to just get an extension to do it for you since youtube forces every vertical video under a minute into being a short and they're obviously pushing this poo poo hard.

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 1, 2022

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

BeeSeeBee posted:

It does, you can just replace /shorts/ with watch?v= and have it play in the normal youtube format on desktop. Better to just get an extension to do it for you since youtube forces every vertical video under a minute into being a short and they're obviously pushing this poo poo hard.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-shorts-block/jiaopdjbehhjgokpphdfgmapkobbnmjp for a link to the Chrome version of such an extension, it works well in Edge also.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Quorum posted:

Yes. Every stockholder got paid out 54.20 per share, which closed out the stock and made Twitter private again. I think there was some talk of certain investors getting equity in the private version of Twitter in exchange instead, like Jack and other investors close to Musk, but I'm not sure if that ended up happening.

What then is the hubub about laying off workers the day before new stock options vest? There's no more stock, right?

(I've worked in the public sector all my life and have absolutely no idea how stock options work)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

What then is the hubub about laying off workers the day before new stock options vest? There's no more stock, right?

(I've worked in the public sector all my life and have absolutely no idea how stock options work)

Even if the stock is non public, it still represents ownership of the company, and has value.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tayter Swift posted:

apparently the merger agreement includes provisions that it would be paid in cash instead

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/29/technology/twitter-layoffs-musk-jobs.html

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'You can't solve sociological problems with technical solutions' is common sense to us but you gotta realise it runs counter to literally every principle of the executive class. We're in the end of history where Great Men are meant to invent gidgets and whizmos that solve all the problems through little tweaks without actually having to change anything, notably all the money that they're making.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Firing a bunch of people the day before they were due equity grants is a lawsuit waiting to be filed.

Unlike one gently caress you from management I was subject to. The first company I worked full time for was hosed up in a few ways, but it had open book management and good bonuses based on EBITDA. Then one year, the incoming IT Manager and my first rear end in a top hat boss finalized the Tech Plan. It was a major overhaul of every system we had and would be very expensive. But good news ! We'd had a great year and bonuses were going to be huge !

Then management put the Tech Plan on the books as an expense and our bonuses were wiped out. By some amazing coincidence this paid for the Tech Plan. I was personally out of pocket $11,000 as a result. In January 1998 dollars.

It will come as no surprise that the commitment to open book management quietly ended in December 1997.

It will also come as no surprise that they ended up suing their CRM vendor chosen under the Tech Plan. Our (the IT department) preferred vendor (Siebel) dropped out after one demand for a discount too many. The other party was only promising maybe 65% of our wish list but would try for the peanuts we were willing to pay. Naturally, they got clowned on in the breach of contract lawsuit and paid attorney's fees.

At one point in 1997 the owner/CEO told me he'd never pay me more than $27k a year. My next job was double that, and my current job is 4x that before bonus and equity, let alone benefits. gently caress you Barry, I hope you cried when your business finally failed.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Perestroika posted:

W-why would you want to look at vine code in the first place? Twitter already has a wholeass infrastructure for uploading, hosting, and playing video files, so if you did want to make a pseudo-vine or tiktok you'd likely be better off building on that instead. :psyduck:

Counterpoint: Drag out the backup tapes, use the old code almost zero changes, and make vine suddenly exist again with the same UI and the same users it had before.

It'll be much more ridiculous and entertaining than a new site.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Vested they get money to. It's like firing you the day before you get your bonus

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Elon going to get sued over not paying the CSuite their golden parachutes too. Definitely a fabulous start to the new Twitter.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Dylan16807 posted:

Counterpoint: Drag out the backup tapes, use the old code almost zero changes, and make vine suddenly exist again with the same UI and the same users it had before.

It'll be much more ridiculous and entertaining than a new site.
they want a white people Vine specifically, that wouldn't fly

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope that shithead tanks it. Please do it.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

withoutclass posted:

Elon going to get sued over not paying the CSuite their golden parachutes too. Definitely a fabulous start to the new Twitter.

He has to come up with a compelling reason for firing them for cause but them managing to force the sale kinda proves they were at least competent. This was the best possible outcome for shareholders.

The c-suite
- Got bought out of all their equity at an inflated price.
- Most likely gets their parachutes.
- Most likely gets a bonus for wrongful termination.
- Won't have to manage Twitter anymore.

Infinite wins all the way down.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Owling Howl posted:

He has to come up with a compelling reason for firing them for cause but them managing to force the sale kinda proves they were at least competent. This was the best possible outcome for shareholders.

The c-suite
- Got bought out of all their equity at an inflated price.
- Most likely gets their parachutes.
- Most likely gets a bonus for wrongful termination.
- Won't have to manage Twitter anymore.

Infinite wins all the way down.

Thankfully there's no cause that will meet the definition. He's just a piss baby that thinks he can do whatever he wants.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

withoutclass posted:

Thankfully there's no cause that will meet the definition. He's just a piss baby that thinks he can do whatever he wants.

It's beCAUSE I hate them

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is happening more rapidly than I expected:

https://twitter.com/Ryanbarwick/status/1587439989050179588
IPG clients include American Express, Spotify, and Johnson & Johnson. There's also typically a bit of a contagion effect where, at minimum, this gets other brands asking their agencies "why?".

The worst case scenario for Twitter (though not likely yet) is that this kicks off an advertiser death spiral where reputable brands drop and standards are further loosened to allow scammier bullshit to prop up operating revenue, driving away more brands and soon it's just pillow ads, reverse mortgages, and colloidal silver

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

an advertiser death spiral where reputable brands drop and standards are further loosened to allow scammier bullshit to prop up operating revenue, driving away more brands and soon it's just pillow ads, reverse mortgages, and colloidal silver
insh'allah

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://mobile.twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939636904026113

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I rewatched a TED 2022 interview with Elon Musk that, coincidentally, happened several hours before Musk publicly proposed his intent to buy Twitter. He mentioned open sourcing the algorithm. So funny how things changed so quickly.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagacity posted:

Just create an app to make even shorter videos and call it Nibble

Not memorable enough, need something that feels quicker, how about Quibi, is anyone using that word?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

duz posted:

Not memorable enough, need something that feels quicker, how about Quibi, is anyone using that word?

Quibi and Quibbl were both already taken.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Can we do qbit? How about qbert?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

IPG clients include American Express, Spotify, and Johnson & Johnson. There's also typically a bit of a contagion effect where, at minimum, this gets other brands asking their agencies "why?".

The worst case scenario for Twitter (though not likely yet) is that this kicks off an advertiser death spiral where reputable brands drop and standards are further loosened to allow scammier bullshit to prop up operating revenue, driving away more brands and soon it's just pillow ads, reverse mortgages, and colloidal silver

My mortgage for a checkbox. ✅ Gotta get that drip!

Sadly, I bet someone actually tries to do this, some "get twitter verification for life if we reverse mortgage your house!" poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Sadly, I bet someone actually tries to do this, some "get twitter verification for life if we reverse mortgage your house!" poo poo.

That's gonna suck when twitter dies a week later.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Clarste posted:

That's gonna suck when twitter dies a week later.

if allah wills it

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Welp, this might explain why Twitter stopped responding to marketers and agencies.

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1587533540236791809

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doggles posted:

Welp, this might explain why Twitter stopped responding to marketers and agencies.

https://twitter.com/bckieffer/status/1587511930721165312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

withoutclass posted:

The comedy option - fired for gross negligence because they sold the company to a known dipshit.