Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

now i wonder what dumb guides anyone's following between this and

there's two different approaches you can take in this one, neither of which have dumb poo poo like this

It's been easier to just keep rolling with it rather than do a complete restart. The only r10 romance I've never seen is Kasumi's and I can either youtube that or catch it on a NG+ playthrough for the final persona. It was only super annoying because I didn't know that the romance/friendship paths now worked like this and the guide never spelled it out like the one you linked did.

Just like every time one of these releases I wonder why they even design it the same way when everyone either A) doesn't care or B) immediately dives for a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a lot of people in fact don't use a day by day guide for Persona because they are normal

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd rather just accept that I'm not gonna see everything in the game, or replay on NG+ if I liked the game that much, than play exactly by a guide. Might as well watch an LP at that point, because you're not really playing the game imo.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Persona 5 Royal question about the Faith confidant: Does it really max out at Rank 5??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd like to see as much of the game as I can in a single playthrough, because it's ninety loving hours, I'm not doing a new game plus.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Artelier posted:

Persona 5 Royal question about the Faith confidant: Does it really max out at Rank 5??

The rest unlocks somewhere in January

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Artelier posted:

No, the other half of it is in the third semester.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ryuji: Oh no, I forgot to wear my summer uniform!
*runs home to put on a different t-shirt*

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So, I hate to revive this forever-conversation, but I am at an impasse. When I played p5 non-royal, years ago, I had my character romance Kawakami partly because it's the most hosed up for the fiction of the game, but also because she and I are adults and so in that sense it's the least hosed up, for me, in the non-fiction context of my life.

I now sense that I want my character to romance Kawakami again. Should I go a different route? Is there a more interesting option? Maybe something that comes up more? Something that everyone should try that isn't Kawakami? Does that exist?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think this thread is qualified to answer that question for you, OP. Have you considered a rabbi

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Even following a guide, you kind of have to be able (and willing) to execute on it, being able to clear dungeons within a single inning whenever possible.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dorkopotamis posted:

So, I hate to revive this forever-conversation, but I am at an impasse. When I played p5 non-royal, years ago, I had my character romance Kawakami partly because it's the most hosed up for the fiction of the game, but also because she and I are adults and so in that sense it's the least hosed up, for me, in the non-fiction context of my life.

I now sense that I want my character to romance Kawakami again. Should I go a different route? Is there a more interesting option? Maybe something that comes up more? Something that everyone should try that isn't Kawakami? Does that exist?

The friendship path with Kawakami is really nice. Or you could go for the zany anime option of dating everyone and they all show up for a date on the same day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC the only character who actually takes it hard if you don't romance them is Haru, and also to lesser extend Hifumi and Chihaya. Everybody else is either totally fine with being shot down or doesn't even bring up a romantic angle unless Joker does first. Kawakami in particular kinda feels like you're coercing her into a relationship, she more than any of the other adult waifus seems to realize how hosed up banging her student would be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dorkopotamis posted:

I have two answers, the one you want and the one I truly feel:

1). Date Ohya or Takemi because both of them are plenty hosed up. The former slightly more just out of novelty (I bet sub-1% of P5 playthroughs romance Ohya exclusively)

2). I don’t understand adults who play this game and are like “well I can’t romance the teens because in real life I am an adult” motherfucker it is a Japanese Role-Playing Game, play a loving role. No one who isn’t too online or too stupid is gonna think you’re a creep for playing an RPG where you make a teenager date another teenager as long as you don’t get weird about it.

Do people do this about other games? I feel like I hear this argument about P5 exclusively because it’s the only game “daring” enough to give people the option to make teenagers date grown-rear end women instead of other teenagers

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

DC Murderverse posted:

2). I don’t understand adults who play this game and are like “well I can’t romance the teens because in real life I am an adult” motherfucker it is a Japanese Role-Playing Game, play a loving role. No one who isn’t too online or too stupid is gonna think you’re a creep for playing an RPG where you make a teenager date another teenager as long as you don’t get weird about it.

Do people do this about other games? I feel like I hear this argument about P5 exclusively because it’s the only game “daring” enough to give people the option to make teenagers date grown-rear end women instead of other teenagers

Hey bud! That's why I'm here! Don't get mad at me, I'm trying to get on your level.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dorkopotamis posted:

Hey bud! That's why I'm here! Don't get mad at me, I'm trying to get on your level.

I’m not really mad at you I’m mad at everyone who has justified those romance lines being in the game because “well adults play this game too” as if adults would not buy the game specifically because they can’t make their incurably teenage avatar date someone their age.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Haru or Takemi, which is it?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hot take I guess: all of the romances are fine because it's a loving video game date whoever you loving want. Yeah Futaba is coded heavily as your surrogate sister and also emotionally reliant on Joker. Yeah there are a bunch of grown rear end women who you can date. In real life a lot of these relationships would be at best problematic and and at worst outright illegal, but this isn't real life it's a loving video game and having Joker bang his teacher or the alcoholic reporter is fine, do whatever you want. People who get worked up over fake relationships in a video game are extremely tiresome.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Haru or Takemi, which is it?

Haru because she's a way more fleshed out character than Takemi by virtue of being part of the main cast. Also she probably takes it the worst out of all of the romance options if you turn her down.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

Might as well watch an LP at that point, because you're not really playing the game imo.

Watch? We don't do that here. We read SSLP of Persona games on this forum.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sydin posted:

Hot take I guess: all of the romances are fine because it's a loving video game date whoever you loving want. Yeah Futaba is coded heavily as your surrogate sister and also emotionally reliant on Joker. Yeah there are a bunch of grown rear end women who you can date. In real life a lot of these relationships would be at best problematic and and at worst outright illegal, but this isn't real life it's a loving video game and having Joker bang his teacher or the alcoholic reporter is fine, do whatever you want. People who get worked up over fake relationships in a video game are extremely tiresome.

I judge the person who wrote the hosed up options much more than I do the people who choose them when they play the game, by far.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
None of the romances actually happen and are actually just joker bragging to sae during his interview

'so was the goth doctor before or after the professional shogi player'

'i can't remember, but both were definitely before the Olympic gymnast, the American fashion model, and your sister. They all text me all the time just look at my phone'

'uh huh'

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the sex ghost posted:

None of the romances actually happen and are actually just joker bragging to sae during his interview

'i can't remember, but both were definitely before the Olympic gymnast, the American fashion model, and your sister. They all text me all the time just look at my phone'

'uh huh'

See this is why they got rid of the Sae romance, she’d figure out this was happening when he started to talk about making out with the DA who was interviewing him about his crimes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

the sex ghost posted:

:lol: This is a fantastic angle I've never thought of before and now consider canon. No matter what you choose Joker is actually an incel who's just bullshitting that yeah I'm totally banging my teacher who dresses up as a sexy maid and gives me massages, honest.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sydin posted:

:lol: This is a fantastic angle I've never thought of before and now consider canon. No matter what you choose Joker is actually an incel who's just bullshitting that yeah I'm totally banging my teacher who dresses up as a sexy maid and gives me massages, honest.

Joker is actually gay, but he doesn't feel comfortable telling a cop that (and who can blame him?).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Joker is actually gay, but he doesn't feel comfortable telling a cop that (and who can blame him?).

"So yeah I'm banging every single girl I know besides you, Sae. Simultaneously. I'm just that good."

"...Right."

"Uh anyway so after that Yusuke and I went on a 100% straight, totally not-gay romantic ride on a swan boat. And after that we went to church and I offered to strip for him in a totally platonic manner and he said yes, so-"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sydin posted:

"So yeah I'm banging every single girl I know besides you, Sae. Simultaneously. I'm just that good."

"...Right."

"Uh anyway so after that Yusuke and I went on a 100% straight, totally not-gay romantic ride on a swan boat. And after that we went to church and I offered to strip for him in a totally platonic manner and he said yes, so-"

"It's extremely important that you know I went to that gay bar because I was trying to have sex with a woman"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

All of the most obvious teen boy fantasies are represented:

*model
*rich girl
*uptight class prez
*teacher-maid
*elite hacker/gamer
*olympic gymnast
*goth doctor
*homeless fortune teller
*alcoholic tabloid journalist

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DC Murderverse posted:

All of the most obvious teen boy fantasies are represented:

*homeless fortune teller
*alcoholic tabloid journalist
Truly the fantasy of every teenage boy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

YggiDee posted:

I'd like to see as much of the game as I can in a single playthrough, because it's ninety loving hours, I'm not doing a new game plus.

I've also played through the base game three times, so this is extra unappealing. I'm just here to watch scenes and fuse demons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the sex ghost posted:

it now makes sense Sae was removed as a romance option

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the way the framing device works that by making friends with Sae in the present, Joker unlocks her Arcana bonus in the past.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Neeksy posted:

I judge the person who wrote the hosed up options much more than I do the people who choose them when they play the game, by far.

I think Kawakami's dynamic is pretty interesting and definitely the most unconventional. From the outset there's a traditional and understood power imbalance between her and your character. You're disadvantaged. They treat you unfairly. You're wary of them. Then you're character gets leverage over them and pretty much immediately starts manufacturing blackmail, without your input. Your character just does. The relationship could be a continuation of that leverage building, obviously in a very gross way.

There's a chapter in Norwegian Wood where a character, an older woman, recounts a story of how a child in their care seduced them. The person you're hearing this from is obviously very vulnerable, maybe throughout their entire life. They're in an asylum while you're hearing it. They describe their seducer, though a child, as a well resourced manipulator and likely sociopath. Still, you as the reader are meant to question the person telling this story as ultimately, they did what they did. There's no getting around reality and there never will be.

And that is why Akechi is right.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 1, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dorkopotamis posted:

There's a chapter in Norwegian Wood where a character, an older woman, recounts a story of how a child in their care seduced them. The person you're hearing this from is obviously very vulnerable, maybe throughout their entire life. They're in an asylum while you're hearing it. They describe their seducer, though a child, as a well resourced manipulator and likely sociopath. Still, you as the reader are meant to question the person telling this story as ultimately, they did what they did. There's no getting around reality and there never will be.

Yeah, that woman is a pedophile trying to justify her actions.

There's just no getting around that.

Edit:

like, seriously gently caress off with that calling your victim a "sociopath" and "well-resourced manipulator" poo poo she did.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 1, 2022

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, that woman is a pedophile trying to justify her actions.

There's just no getting around that.

Edit:

like, seriously gently caress off with that calling your victim a "sociopath" and "well-resourced manipulator" poo poo she did.

Oh no, I agree she was a pedophile. I'm not trying to defend her, we just happen to be hearing the story from her perspective.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Leblanc is an incel club

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pwnstar posted:

I like the way the framing device works that by making friends with Sae in the present, Joker unlocks her Arcana bonus in the past.

He doesn’t though, you level up but you don’t get any fusion exp on Judgment until you reach the present.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the sex ghost posted:

'uh huh'

I always find the framing device to be unintentionally hilarious overall. Like Joker is all beat up and Sae's trying to force him to talk about just how he got so good at shooting guns to commit crimes and he's just sitting there stoic and thinking to himself "I'm not gonna rat out my arcade gamer friend, no way!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm guessing I shouldn't use the free DLC Personas until I'm around that level or I'll break the game, right?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

now why would you think having 50 in all stats at level 10 would be gamebreaking, hmm?

they're actually broken even at the appropriate levels because all of them have completely busted unique skills, but that doesn't matter that much because royal lets you create equally busted personas all on your own if you're so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm guessing I shouldn't use the free DLC Personas until I'm around that level or I'll break the game, right?

I wouldn't use them ever.

EDIT: I've only used them by mistake. They will trivialize the game.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 1, 2022