Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The heads were terrifying because they're inescapable and inevitable. You can't kill your head without dying yourself, you can't wait it out, and the heads are everywhere so it's not like you can just keep away from it- if they don't get you immediately all you can really do is wait till you starve/dehydrate or until you slip up and they get you. That's pretty scary! And hard to communicate in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I didn’t know it was a SOMA sequel

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I beat Scorn and Stories Untold this weekend.

Scorn was a decent 6/10. The art is great, the combat is ill advised, and what little you can make of the story is interesting, but ultimately ends in a downer which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise. Really, the whole parasite thing really compelled me to finish the game, though I think I initially read more into it than was actually going on. I had thought the early game "death" had been some kind or transfer of consciousness, and thus the parasite was your old, corrupted body trying to reintegrate. But it becomes pretty clear by the end, where we see actual transferal of consciousness, that it was likely two separate protagonists. I kind of wish they had made that more clear

Had a lot more fun with Stories Untold. The initial episode with the text adventure that ends up describing the fictional player was really clever, and is the kind of vibe I hope they bring to their upcoming Silent Hill game. I really liked the twist in the game, though I think it could have been revealed better in the last episode, which felt oddly paced. Biggest criticism is that I encountered a couple of bugs that resulted in me having to redo chapters due to things not triggering or the text commands suddenly not working.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm so glad you enjoyed Stories Untold!

I hated the twist, but I tried every text command I could think of to avert fate.

Really excited for you to play Observation!

E: Happy Halloween horror thread!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Stories Untold is a game that had great ideas for its individual parts and then felt forced to tie them together, which I get. If it was just creepy for the sake of it then it would be cool but I don't hate the framing device.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:spooky::skeltal::ghost::witch::skeltal::witch::spooky::ghost::skeltal:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Stories Untold!

I hated the twist, but I tried every text command I could think of to avert fate.

Really excited for you to play Observation!

E: Happy Halloween horror thread!

I played Stories Untold and Night in the Woods back to back and they've both got scenes where you not only can't stop the protagonist from doing something incredibly stupid and self-destructive but must actively do it yourself and it's something no other medium can offer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How is Signalis on the hardest difficulty? A tedious slog that requires perfect routing and no backtracking, or a better experience that normal?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Pope Guilty posted:

I played Stories Untold and Night in the Woods back to back and they've both got scenes where you not only can't stop the protagonist from doing something incredibly stupid and self-destructive but must actively do it yourself and it's something no other medium can offer.

Oh yeah, how I felt trying desperately to try anything else and having to realize there's nothing to be done is indescribable. I need to play NitW one day, I just have the feeling I need to be in a happy place and out of my small town before I do, from what I hear.

Unrelated,

https://twitter.com/othatsraspberry/status/1587095568949862401?t=ux2-vc0B6lqyFUUm5cTAug&s=19

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

All I can hear when I see this phrase now is the Total Distortion game over song tbh. Really takes the spooky out of a lot of game death screens.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Regarding the twist of Stories Untold, I had gathered from the descriptions of the car in the second play-through of House Abandon that a wreck was somehow responsible for the protagonist's sister dying. I'd also noticed subtle things connecting the other episodes, like the Red X (both on the utility room and the brand name on the computer equipment), or the protagonists from the second and third episode having the same name. My biggest gripe is how relatively quickly you figure out what really happened by episode four. The end of three and start of four plainly lay out the coma and mixed up memories, the police report explains most of what actually happened, with the only lingering mystery being the framing of the cop. But that becomes quickly obvious with the tapes and the start of the House Abandon ending. That last part just stretches it out so long with everything you have to do before getting in the car. It's a wonder Jennifer trusted James to drive with how often he utterly failed to find his keys, Unlock the car. Get in. Start it up. Disengage the handbrake before attempting to drive off, etc. I get what they where going for, forcing you to remake the same mistake that's been tormenting Jake, but I feel like a punchier reveal would have worked better. That said, I do like the reveal and how it re-contextualized the earlier episodes. The only part that was a little underwhelming was episode three just being Jake in a comma while his family does word puzzles.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just finished The Quarry. I really enjoyed that, except for the fact I majorly hosed things up during the last third or so of the game lol. I’d definitely be interested in trying for a perfect run, I think I was doing well for most of it. I’d be cool if I could pick up from a certain point in time, with all the choices I made up until then set in.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished FAITH. Loved 99% of it except for the last not boss thing you have to do in chapter 3. Gonna have to go back and get the other endings and bosses sometime. I usually don’t really get scared or jump in horror games tho I love them but turns out what I needed was a C64 type game with one action button to really scare me. The rotoscoping remains the coolest part to me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Morpheus posted:

How is Signalis on the hardest difficulty? A tedious slog that requires perfect routing and no backtracking, or a better experience that normal?

I haven't gotten very far but it's been kind of frustrating. Might not require perfect routing but you do need to do a bit of it, since enemies seem guaranteed to revive if you leave a room for like 5-10 minutes and are a bigger drain on your resources on hard, which makes having to run laps to juggle your inventory even worse than usual. You die in 3 hits, and just rubbing up against an enemy hurts for the full amount. Couple of times I've passed through a door and exited right on top of an enemy to instantly get hit.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Evil Kit posted:

All I can hear when I see this phrase now is the Total Distortion game over song tbh. Really takes the spooky out of a lot of game death screens.

holy poo poo, same

I've never even heard that game mentioned outside of the week or so that I completely failed at playing it 25 years ago

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Montague Tigg posted:

holy poo poo, same

I've never even heard that game mentioned outside of the week or so that I completely failed at playing it 25 years ago

the only reason I know about it is a GM in a pokemon tabletop gamed I played on mIRC linked it during a particular arc involving giant robots from a dimension of metal (music).

It left quite the impression lol.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I guess this game was announced a couple of years ago and has had various trailers but this gameplay video from the beta that's on steam showed up on my youtube feed and looks pretty drat cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUB9-MjhMlI

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286990/CONSCRIPT/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Zed Technician is never gonna stop putting out weird horror games about obese southern people and obese southern monsterpeople working wage jobs and having to put up with supernatural poo poo. ManlyBadassHero did a playthrough of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfN-szvCrMA

What a weird oddly specific niche they've carved out for themselves in the indie horror scene.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
As someone who's never played any Resident Evil game, I'm enjoying Signalis quite a bit. I feel like the 6-item limit would have been more frustrating if it wasn't explicably mentioned at the start of the game as a rule that everyone on site needs to follow without question - just adds to the mysterious lore. Not even going to question why half a wrench socket takes up the same space in my pockets as a shotgun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Incorrect Username posted:

As someone who's never played any Resident Evil game, I'm enjoying Signalis quite a bit. I feel like the 6-item limit would have been more frustrating if it wasn't explicably mentioned at the start of the game as a rule that everyone on site needs to follow without question - just adds to the mysterious lore. Not even going to question why half a wrench socket takes up the same space in my pockets as a shotgun.

What's that, make the shotgun take up two item slots? Ok folks you heard em, let's get a move on this!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i'm a coward and signalis is spooky, is there a good lets play of it yet?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

FirstAidKite posted:

obese southern monsterpeople working wage jobs and having to put up with supernatural poo poo.

How dare you dox me like this?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Len posted:

i'm a coward and signalis is spooky, is there a good lets play of it yet?

I've seen a couple full runs, and for some reason, Vtubers in particular seem to be all over this poo poo.

Maybe keep an eye on what VoidBurger's doing. She seemed pretty enthused by it on Giant Bomb.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

How dare you dox me like this?

I'm so sorry to do that to you Zed. Can you explain what inspired you to look at the indie horror scene and decide "you know what this lacks? Oddly endearing stories of wage laborers just trying to make ends meet while dealing with one of the number of supernatural entities inflicted upon them by the 1% who keep wrecking society for everyone, and also most of the cast make Smough look slim"?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Every character in Signalis is p much a vtuber so that makes perfect sense. It also isn't really scary unless you think 'my anime girls are turning into meat?!' is terrifying. It's more of a psychological mindfuck than a horror and much better at questioning your reality than trying to spook you out. I'm about 1-2 hours from the end and don't really have the motivation to finish it up, particularly since it's one of those survival horrors where the spookiness is totally overshadowed by how tedious it is to back-and-forth back to the save room for items repeatedly. It's the sort of game that will probably be better experienced summarized in a short 30-60 minute video rather than a full LP, it really drags itself out more than it needs to between beats.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I mean, it's about as scary as Resident Evil. It would probably be more tense if it was harder, though.

The inventory system can be annoying but really unless you're immediately going into a boss fight there's few downsides to dumping everything except one gun and your flashlight into the box and using the other four slots for key items. Real ones don't need health kits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's that, make the shotgun take up two item slots? Ok folks you heard em, let's get a move on this!

gently caress you RE0

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Take it we've all seen the IGN readers poll of the greatest horror games of all time?

Appreciate there's some red flags here, mostly the words "IGN", "Readers" and "Poll", but the results are hilarious even within that context.

The top 10 is formed from a total of 3 different IP's..

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Zed Technician is never gonna stop putting out weird horror games about obese southern people and obese southern monsterpeople working wage jobs and having to put up with supernatural poo poo. ManlyBadassHero did a playthrough of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfN-szvCrMA

What a weird oddly specific niche they've carved out for themselves in the indie horror scene.

This reminds me so much of the Timore and Giraffe Town and I just don't know how to classify these bizarro games.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Tried to play signalis, but I can't get past the anime designs. Just not my thing

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

More than anything the art style in Signalis reminds me of Fear Effect and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Signalis having anime designs is funny because yeah it's anime but also it's an extention of the Sci fi tradition of "everyone speaks mandarin in The Future" and bringing it into "you know the first humanlike robots are going to be anime right"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Zed Technician games look real cool but man is this a case of "the writer's barely disguised fetish". Every woman is Venus of Willendorf shaped. That's not even really a dig it's just like okay you've definitely got a type

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

All good horror games are made by perverts. Masahiro Ito is massively into bondage, Geiger can't stop painting dicks, every horror VN exists, and I'm not going to a make a legally defamatory joke about Scott Cawthorn's monsters-with-kids-inside and republican leanings.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Take it we've all seen the IGN readers poll of the greatest horror games of all time?

Appreciate there's some red flags here, mostly the words "IGN", "Readers" and "Poll", but the results are hilarious even within that context.

The top 10 is formed from a total of 3 different IP's..

Here it is for ease of complaining.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Regardless of the list, that final conclusion is awful.

'These games have scored low but remember they are smaller games without triple A budgets' sounds like they're saying they're worse because less money was spent on them. More likely nobody played so they lost 'duels' by default. Slay the Princess isn't even out yet, what did they expect.

Also if people haven't, check out Uncanny Valley. It has one of those organic ways of branching stories which makes it adaptable. Are you going to do your job and patrol the office? Spend your time breaking into the CEO desk? Chat with the weird lady? Options!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RE2 is on there twice lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I guessed the franchises correctly but I figured Dead Space 2 would also be up there (on account of it being better than Dead Space 1). What a bunch of idiots!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Glagha posted:

Zed Technician games look real cool but man is this a case of "the writer's barely disguised fetish". Every woman is Venus of Willendorf shaped. That's not even really a dig it's just like okay you've definitely got a type

I was talking to some friends last night about this dev and one of them described his games in probably the most accurate way possible.

quote:

So what you're saying is a leftist furry coder with free time to kill and an axe to grind about corporate masters?

Like, pretty much every game this dev makes is about horrors imposed on the working class by the rich in the form of the supernatural manifestation of the fear of immigrants, a demon summoned and sicced on a hospital by a rich dude because he had to pay a little more in taxes this year than before, a house haunted by a rich rear end in a top hat who hates miscegenation so much he kills his son's lover for being a different race from his son and now the movers have to put up with his ghost racism while they pack up all the stuff there, or a small shipping company incurring the wrath of Sekhmet and Thoth for unknowingly transporting some relics for some rich archaeologist thieves and the new security guard, fresh from losing her job as tech support for a hardware manufacturer that cut corners and ended up using poor materials that made their computer parts volatile and prone to catching fire, has to go find the relics that even the Egyptian gods admit they don't particularly care for, it's just the principle of the thing and they want an excuse to go to war with humanity. And the games have genuinely happy endings if you play them right, which itself is rare for horror games nowadays. No ending stinger of "and then they died anyway" or whatever.

But the games all look like this.

https://i.imgur.com/A9Eaz0N.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/y1hdSuJ.mp4

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

well i guess a new bendy game just got announced