Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

strtj posted:

When I worked at a record store we got a big collection from a university professor who was a hardcore audiophile during that time (like $10k+ ribbon speakers, the whole works) and some of those Living Stereo records sold for absolutely wacko amounts of money. Someone could make a loving killing taking the tapes for those from the RCA vault and reissuing them in high-res digital, or something really crazy like 10" half-track reel to reel tape

You can get the one pictured as an SACD on discogs for ~$20 including shipping: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9780244?ev=rb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

strtj posted:

lmfao I love these folks so much, people who pay way too much money for records only to play them on equipment that they don't understand at all

You just have to ask them what cartridge they have or how much tracking force they like to use with it or how much trouble they had aligning their cart to suss out if they know what's up. I've just got a $200 Nagaoka cartridge through a deeply discounted old stock Graham Slee GramAmp2 SE preamp that sounds perfect to my ears with every genre I've thrown at it.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Wayne Knight posted:

You can get the one pictured as an SACD on discogs for ~$20 including shipping: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9780244?ev=rb

It really depends on what record it is, there was Living Stereo stuff that went for like $5 and then stuff that went for upwards of $500, that community is really specific about what record and exactly what pressing at what plant. Not my genre so I can't say how much rhyme or reason there was to that logic.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I load the thread on a portable device, then disconnect it from the internet so I can appreciate all the pixels without interference. Sometimes I load it, disconnect, and then drive to the forest to enjoy it properly.

You fool

You absolute clod

The road noise from driving will introduce fatigue that will attenuate the bass frequencies and impair your sonic perception

You are a crime

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mederlock posted:

You just have to ask them what cartridge they have or how much tracking force they like to use with it or how much trouble they had aligning their cart to suss out if they know what's up. I've just got a $200 Nagaoka cartridge through a deeply discounted old stock Graham Slee GramAmp2 SE preamp that sounds perfect to my ears with every genre I've thrown at it.

At one point I started to get way too deep into that rabbit hole but when I looked at the difference between, say, an Ortofon Super OM20 needle vs a Super OM10 on a transfer with professional-grade equipment, I realized that you could spend absolutely insane amounts of time and money chasing ever-diminishing returns.

Virtually any mainstream record within the last 30 years is going to have been mastered from a digital source so you're better off just getting the lossless/high-res downloads from your favorite site if you really care. There's a tiny amount of the older stuff that hasn't been transferred to digital, at least for the market that cares about truly high quality reproduction (or was recorded in a way where it would matter).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

strtj posted:

I realized that you could spend absolutely insane amounts of time and money chasing ever-diminishing returns.

That’s the whole point of the hobby.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strtj posted:

lmfao I love these folks so much, people who pay way too much money for records only to play them on equipment that they don't understand at all

The best selling record player in America is the one that looks like a suitcase and I assume comes with a needle made out of a roofing nail. People are actually buying $30 reissues and playing them on a $50 turntable, it’s amazing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

strtj posted:

At one point I started to get way too deep into that rabbit hole but when I looked at the difference between, say, an Ortofon Super OM20 needle vs a Super OM10 on a transfer with professional-grade equipment, I realized that you could spend absolutely insane amounts of time and money chasing ever-diminishing returns.

Virtually any mainstream record within the last 30 years is going to have been mastered from a digital source so you're better off just getting the lossless/high-res downloads from your favorite site if you really care. There's a tiny amount of the older stuff that hasn't been transferred to digital, at least for the market that cares about truly high quality reproduction (or was recorded in a way where it would matter).

It's mainly for old jazz and classical albums and a few novelty albums of my favourite artists because I like the large format album art.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jazz is the only genre where surface noise and pops really don’t bother me that much. It just kind of fits, especially with stuff from the 50s and earlier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

qirex posted:

The thing is you could spend a lot of time and energy explaining how packet data works to the kinds of people who buy this stuff but in the end they just shrug and go "look, I listened to it at my dealer/an audio show and totally heard a difference! Trust your ears, bro."
But don't trust them TOO much, double blind testing is right out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheMadMilkman posted:

Jazz is the only genre where surface noise and pops really don’t bother me that much. It just kind of fits, especially with stuff from the 50s and earlier.

Glitch hop, and lo-fi beats my brother

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You need to sample those pops and crackles from the leading grooves on old blues records; Ableton's 'vinyl distortion' device just isn't the same.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh crud I forgot about lo-fi hip hop. I’ll definitely modify my earlier statement, because late night lo-fi definitely hits the spot sometimes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

You need to sample those pops and crackles from the leading grooves on old blues records; Ableton's 'vinyl distortion' device just isn't the same.

This stock device has made me paranoid that any vinyl sound is just Ableton chicanery.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mister Facetious posted:

Man, I really miss the lo-fi rock that was big a few years ago. Such a great sound.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What equipment should I use for the best quality for chiptunes. Should I be looking for something that squares the sonic stage and eliminate temporal timing phases?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

When I worked at a record store we got a big collection from a university professor who was a hardcore audiophile during that time (like $10k+ ribbon speakers, the whole works) and some of those Living Stereo records sold for absolutely wacko amounts of money. Someone could make a loving killing taking the tapes for those from the RCA vault and reissuing them in high-res digital, or something really crazy like 10" half-track reel to reel tape

oh they constantly get reissued, in SACD no less. I think pretty much all RCA exists for as a brand anymore is for Living Stereo box sets reissued by Sony

i kinda want one of the RCA LSC classical boxes but they're expensive used and classical stuff goes out of print immediately

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ftr they really sound great but one of the big reasons that there was a massive boom in RCA Living Stereo record values in the 80s or so was when The Absolute Sound declared that the Carl Reiner/CSO recording of Pictures at an Exhibition was the greatest sounding record ever made or something, and a single publication could still have that kind of impact

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m pretty sure a lot of that stuff’s available on Tidal and in FLAC/etc if you want it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

Someone could make a loving killing taking the tapes for those from the RCA vault and reissuing them in high-res digital, or something really crazy like 10" half-track reel to reel tape

lol speak of the devil

i mean i get it, reel-to-reel is just kinda cool

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol speak of the devil

i mean i get it, reel-to-reel is just kinda cool

ULTRA-TAPE—for his pleasure

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that reissue costs $450 btw. vinyl is just not expensive and impractical enough

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmao my god

at that point just buy a $20 reel and rip the FLAC if you want it on tape so bad

90% of the fun of tape is the diy anyway

like laugh at vinyl all you want but $450 can get you a lot of records

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure a lot of that stuff’s available on Tidal and in FLAC/etc if you want it
Yup

Thread cred protection note: I have MQA disabled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really do love the sound of those 50s/60s stereo classical recordings, by the way. The Absolute Sound might be full of BS, and I don't think they're the greatest records ever pressed or whatever the hell they said, but they're great performances, especially the Munch/Boston stuff

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

What equipment should I use for the best quality for chiptunes. Should I be looking for something that squares the sonic stage and eliminate temporal timing phases?

I dunno about the sonic stage, but square wave synth signals do sound quite nice as a base for chiptunes :p:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The modern remasters of those old recordings are loving incredible. This one's my favourite

https://tidal.com/album/1390777

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is one of my favorites, there's an earlier recording and idk why Munch/BSO did it twice but I think this is just an incredibly exciting Fantastique

https://tidal.com/browse/album/66093167

I'm glad streaming services have it since it only shows up in complete Charles Munch box sets these days- the earlier recording is the one that gets reissued constantly

e) i always liked a joke from a classical record guide that the reason record companies made so many releases of Holst's "The Planets" was because hi-fi dealers loved using them to show off speakers to prospective customers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 1, 2022

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This counts as audiophile stuff, perhaps not for ridicule but it is adjacent and fun and it's Friday:

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

R2R tape was always really expensive. I just saw a pricelist for pre-recorded tapes on a major label from the late '50s the other week (can't remember where or I'd post it) and the prices were something like $6-12 depending on length, which is about $60-120 in today's money. And that's just for stock 7" home reels.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

The best selling record player in America is the one that looks like a suitcase and I assume comes with a needle made out of a roofing nail. People are actually buying $30 reissues and playing them on a $50 turntable, it’s amazing.

I'd never actually gotten my hands on one of those Crosley suitcases before but a few weeks ago my mom found a pristine quality one just sitting on the side of the road. Moving past the fact that someone either disliked or ignored it enough to just throw it away, the build quality was remarkably bad. Honestly no better than those ubiquitous beige Fisher Price turntables from when I was a kid. Crosley's genius is probably figuring out that they didn't have to market something like that to kids.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand why Crossley designs them in a way where they use an obscene amount of tracking force that'll grind away a record in no time. Is the platter really that out of flat?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

I just don't understand why Crossley designs them in a way where they use an obscene amount of tracking force that'll grind away a record in no time. Is the platter really that out of flat?

so these tables don’t sound good at all, but a lot of the “it’ll destroy your records!!1!1!” fear seems to be overblown. Stamped plastic is a fairly resilient material, even if you’re dragging a stylus across it at 4.5 grams or whatever those Crosleys are set at.

It’s probably more to do with the tonearm being so light and thin and plasticky, and with the expected user probably putting their suitcase table on top of a bed or other non-flat surfaces.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

so these tables don’t sound good at all, but a lot of the “it’ll destroy your records!!1!1!” fear seems to be overblown. Stamped plastic is a fairly resilient material, even if you’re dragging a stylus across it at 4.5 grams or whatever those Crosleys are set at.

It’s probably more to do with the tonearm being so light and thin and plasticky, and with the expected user probably putting their suitcase table on top of a bed or other non-flat surfaces.

Nah it's more like a crapshoot between 6-10 grams which is.. a lot with the pot metal stylii they use

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Nah it's more like a crapshoot between 6-10 grams which is.. a lot with the pot metal stylii they use

Either way, the admittedly not-all-that-scientific tests I’ve seen on the matter don’t really show much if any visible or audible wear. You’d have to play the record at 6-10 grams probably several hundred or even thousand times, which is a lot of times to play one record even when records were the de-facto way to listen to recorded music.

Plus you gotta keep in mind that if you’re playing a given record more than like 50 or 100 times then you’re probably at the stage where you’ve either already got a real turntable or are getting one.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

If I use one of my cartridges with a more advanced profile, I can 100% tell when a record has been played on one of those shitbox turntables. More pedestrian cartridges (eg vm95e, grado black) I can’t really tell a difference.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

If I use one of my cartridges with a more advanced profile, I can 100% tell when a record has been played on one of those shitbox turntables. More pedestrian cartridges (eg vm95e, grado black) I can’t really tell a difference.

I legitimately cannot tell if this is ironic (eg the thread title) or not

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

I legitimately cannot tell if this is ironic (eg the thread title) or not

Perfect

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
People love to poo poo on Le Crosley Record Killer Suitcases but honestly it's emblematic of a way bigger issue, the cheapsauce mechanism they're built around turns up in like 80% of non-music nerd turntables sold today. I found one of those 5-in-1 faux retro music players that has a CD player, a radio, a cassette deck, and a record player - exact same layout/controls as a Target suitcase. Granted, I may as well be King Idiot because my record player has a built-in speaker and runs off of D cells.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

A single tear runs down OP's cheek listening to a used Urban Outfitters exclusive red vinyl copy of Blurryface by 21 Pilots. "Who did this? Who hurt you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Either way, the admittedly not-all-that-scientific tests I’ve seen on the matter don’t really show much if any visible or audible wear. You’d have to play the record at 6-10 grams probably several hundred or even thousand times, which is a lot of times to play one record even when records were the de-facto way to listen to recorded music.

I easily did this with 45s when I was a kid, and arguably did so with a couple of my favorite LPs as well.