Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh I thought about it. I remember thinking the 'snake alien' doesn't even really make sense either.

I thought most of the xeno toys were gimmick stuff but really wanted some of the USCM figures. Never found them anywhere as a kid.

Now this sits to the right of my desk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Two of the best things Neca made ever

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Finally watched Prey (Comanche dub) tonight and really enjoyed it.

The biggest thing I was consistently impressed by was the cinematography and art direction. Not just for shots of Alberta, which is gorgeous, but the general look and the way the whole thing was filmed: Night scenes are actually dark and torchlit, instead of random blue moonlight coming from nowhere. Awesome tracking shots & wide shots for a lot of the hunt scenes. Fantastic crane shots for overhead views. Great use of colors and contrasts that pop against the backgrounds. You rarely see that in sci-fi in general, let alone a franchise that's gone to some very goofy places in the past - I could barely believe it was a Predator movie. It's a cinematically great looking film.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is the Commanche dub supposed to have subtitles?

From what I've read here it is supposed to have subtitles, but I can't get any to show up:

It just says "SUBTITLES: Unavailable" and never displays any, no matter where I skip to in the movie.

Meanwhile this is what the regular version looks like, giving me the options of English subtitles, Spanish subtitles, or none:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If you're on Hulu, the Comanche dub should be another tab that's listed as a whole different movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yes, I found it under Extras, along with the trailer. I am able to play it, but there are no subtitles visible, and no subtitles are selectable to turn on (see above pictures). Did you have subtitles when you played it?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
On disney + the comanche dub has subtitles even more descriptive than the standard english one(some part of the french talk is translated).

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I had a Scorpion Alien action figure when I was little and it had a little button at the base of its spine that, when pressed, would make it's whole upper body explode into separate chunks, including a bit connected to the head piece that was its organs.

Aside from my giant, inflatable Godzilla, that was my favorite toy.

Also had loads of Robocop and Terminator stuff.

More R-rated movie toys for children, please.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
lol

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/alien-resurrection-interview-joss-whedon-jean-pierre-jeunet-b2212720.html

Some highlights:

quote:

Jeunet flew out to meet Sigourney Weaver. He jokes that he would have hijacked the plane if he could – a drastic means of escaping the film. But Jeunet found support from Weaver, whom he calls his “accomplice”. When Jeunet suggested switching some of Whedon’s generic action for something “arty”, Sigourney replied: “You are my hero!”

Jeunet received a warning about the dangers of Alien: a call from Alien 3 director David Fincher. “When I arrived, David called me and said, ‘Give up! Go back to Paris! Alien 3 was a nightmare!’” laughs Jeunet. But the studio was supportive. Jeunet was able to bring his own French crew onboard, rewrite scenes, and spend two months storyboarding. “I had almost total freedom,” says Jeunet. “Can you believe it? Today it wouldn’t be possible.”

“I know Joss Whedon said some bad things about me,” says Jeunet. “I don’t care. I know if Joss Whedon had made the film himself, it probably would have been a big success. He’s very good at making films for American geeks – something for morons. Because he’s very good at making Marvel films. I hate this kind of movie. It’s so silly, so stupid.” About the changes he made to Whedon’s script, Jeunet jokes: “Too bad, Joss Whedon!”

“People said why make another sequel?” recalls Jeunet. “Probably they were right.” Jeunet recently watched a 35mm print of Alien Resurrection. “I was a little bit concerned to watch my film – maybe I won’t like it?” he says. “No, it was great! I have a lot of shots that I love. For the people who don’t like it, I can say, ‘f*** you!’”

The whole article is great, go read it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress yourself independent

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This idiot should never write again!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't a lot of people dislike them or at least find the prequels disappointing? That was always my impression.

I can see why someone would hate Alien 3 more than Resurrection, though.

quote:

The general mess of Alien 3 stained the series, though it’s easier to disassociate Alien Resurrection from the Alien canon. Alien Resurrection is often pegged wrongly: less a sequel than it is a comic book-like “what if?” – a standalone adventure from an alternative Alien-verse, one that imagines what could happen in the more excessive corners of Alien lore

Alien 3 killed Newt. Alien Resurrection did nothing to Ripley - Ripley is dead. You can ignore this as simply as you ignore All-Star Batman or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im glad Newt died.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Calling Alien 3 the worst alien movie, even with all its issues, is really wild in a world with AVP 1. Even after everything Alien 3 deserves respect for doing its own thing and having a vision, however watered down by typical blockbuster executive meddling.

People got weird about Prometheus and woof that was a tough CD thread. But I think it's better-liked today than at the time. Covenant I can't say if that will recover in the same way. I personally don't like it as much, but mainly because I think the last act kinda stinks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think all alien movies are good

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

This idiot should never write again!

When you're right, you're right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Alien 3 continued the "let's gently caress with Ripley" theme from 2.

"You've been in hypersleep for 60 years. Everyone you love is dead lol. Also you're crazy no way the planet you talked about is bad we have people there now"

To

"Your adopted family is dead. Everything you know is gone. You're not supposed to be here. The thing that's ruined your life is in you and will kill you"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

People got weird about Prometheus and woof that was a tough CD thread. But I think it's better-liked today than at the time.

I lold pretty good when someone said they were a biologist and would totally try to touch the space snake while wearing the space suits they had on while other posters kept hammering on about how unrealistic it was for a biologist to touch the space snake.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've never met a single person IRL who likes Alien 3. And I've met a lot of people since that movie came out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've never met a single person IRL who likes Alien 3. And I've met a lot of people since that movie came out.
'Like' is probably a term rarely applied to Alien 3. It's a film that some might respect, especially the Assembly Cut, but it's so relentlessly, grindingly unpleasant and nihilistic that there's not a great deal of pleasure to be had from it beyond the interest of it being a great modern director's first movie (on which he had an utterly miserable time).

Obviously in this thread, mind, somebody's bound to chip in saying that it's their top choice for a fun beer 'n' pretzels movie night.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm just saying that it's very odd to be shocked by somebody not liking Alien 3 and acting like their opinion is suspect. "I don't like Alien 3" is one of the least interesting film opinions that someone could have. I don't like Alien 3 at all but you'll never hear me say anything about it (other than right now as an illustration) because it's so widespread and it's all the same reasons that everybody else dislikes it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My credit card got charged for my NERF LMTD ALIENS M41-A Blaster https://hasbropulse.com/products/nerf-lmtd-aliens-m41-a-blaster :woop:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just saying that it's very odd to be shocked by somebody not liking Alien 3 and acting like their opinion is suspect. "I don't like Alien 3" is one of the least interesting film opinions that someone could have. I don't like Alien 3 at all but you'll never hear me say anything about it (other than right now as an illustration) because it's so widespread and it's all the same reasons that everybody else dislikes it.

I’ve always loved Alien 3 and more so now with the AC. I’ve always been annoyed when people hate it even if it’s the consensus. Same with Prometheus and Covenant. Adore them both

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think the issue is the people hyperbole up opinions based on consensus. When people think k there are things you aren't *supposed* to like because of reaching consensus, it's no longer that they don't care for it, it's that this thing sucks/is terrible/etc. I see that from a lot of people that don't really have much of their own opinions and go alo g with consensus.

Anything that goes against expectation is going to fall prey to this, too. Alien 3 original cut was very mixed quality and dour, but even when I was 12 or whatever and a huge Aliens family that hated how they killed the survivors; I still saw good things about it/sensed a lot of quality behind it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have a hearing test for everyone here:

https://youtu.be/ILYdzvSICes

2:26

What does Hudson say? Fill in the blank:

“We’re in some real ___________ poo poo now”

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"pretty"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Honest to god, from my first viewing of the movie up until right now, I have (and still do) hear “fruity”.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Xenomrph posted:

I have a hearing test for everyone here:

https://youtu.be/ILYdzvSICes

2:26

What does Hudson say? Fill in the blank:

“We’re in some real ___________ poo poo now”

"pretty" pronounced as "purty" is how I always heard it.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

MacheteZombie posted:

I lold pretty good when someone said they were a biologist and would totally try to touch the space snake while wearing the space suits they had on while other posters kept hammering on about how unrealistic it was for a biologist to touch the space snake.

I swear like 70% of the discourse around that movie when it came out was about the 2 idiots getting lost(with one of them playing with the snake) and Charlize Theron not running sideways. Yes that poo poo was dumb and could've been written better, but to think its the worst thing ever and compare it to The Phantom Menace because of that? Gtfo of here. In 2012 people still had their rock hard hate-boners for Damon Lindelof over the LOST ending and had their knives sharpened beforehand.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve maintained for years that Prometheus is a great sci-fi horror movie but a bad Alien movie, and would have been served better if it was totally divorced from the Alien franchise and Ridley Scott had just been let off the chain to do whatever he wanted.

Which is kind of what he did anyway, the links to Alien are tenuous and benefit neither Prometheus nor Alien.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve maintained for years that Prometheus is a great sci-fi horror movie but a bad Alien movie, and would have been served better if it was totally divorced from the Alien franchise and Ridley Scott had just been let off the chain to do whatever he wanted.

Which is kind of what he did anyway, the links to Alien are tenuous and benefit neither Prometheus nor Alien.

100% correct take, but be careful. People ITT who can't read will jump all over you for this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can read I just don’t agree at all in anyway. Prometheus is what I want alien films to be like. Weird stories in that universe using those designs and having fun with the creature. It’s perfect.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:same:

CelticPredator posted:

I can read I just don’t agree at all in anyway. Prometheus is what I want alien films to be like. Weird stories in that universe using those designs and having fun with the creature. It’s perfect.

That's a pretty good take.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think one of the reasons why Prometheus works so well is precisely because it's such a disappointing prequel to Alien. "Woohoo, we're gonna get some answers to our burning origin questions! Wait? What the gently caress? Those aren't answers!"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well if the studio hadn’t mandated it be connected, nobody would have a problem with it. Well except their hang ups on how stupid the scientists were being (let’s not take a look at the real world here).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterWeller posted:

I think one of the reasons why Prometheus works so well is precisely because it's such a disappointing prequel to Alien. "Woohoo, we're gonna get some answers to our burning origin questions! Wait? What the gently caress? Those aren't answers!"

The trailer said "Questions will be answered" and people didn't realize that was meant as "violently retaliated against" despite the trailer being just Shaw screaming "we were so wrong" etc. havoc going on.

The hang-up people had about it being unrealistic that scientists could be stupid though was crazy though.

Same with the hangup about them not running perpendicular to the engineer ship that's hurtling towards them to crash, because they literally attempt that when they see it's coming straight at them. It doesn't work because it's a gigantic ship crashing onto a planet, like it's not something a human being successfully avoids if they're already in its path.

IIRC Del Toro stopped working on at the Mountains of Madness because Prometheus covered a lot of that ground in its own way, but I think audiences in general see the shiny uniforms and the sci-fi setting and don't associate that as readily with situations the characters never totally master (even though Alien itself started out that way).

I still think it was lame that Shaw was dealt with offscreen in between movies though. I wasn't a fan of how Covenant and Blade Runner 2049 both had those extra scenes that weren't ever meant to be in the movie but also where a lot of context was added to some stuff. Felt like stuff that would have been worth the effort to work into the movies proper.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 1, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gresh posted:

I swear like 70% of the discourse around that movie when it came out was about the 2 idiots getting lost(with one of them playing with the snake) and Charlize Theron not running sideways. Yes that poo poo was dumb and could've been written better, but to think its the worst thing ever and compare it to The Phantom Menace because of that? Gtfo of here. In 2012 people still had their rock hard hate-boners for Damon Lindelof over the LOST ending and had their knives sharpened beforehand.

It was written fine. She did run sideways immediately; stuff fell right in front of her when she tried (because the falling ship was the only thing blocking the debris), she changed direction/died because of that.

People are just blind at seeing what is right in front of their face and parrot other people's opinions instead of thinking for themselves.

edit: whoops, beaten

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 1, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Well if the studio hadn’t mandated it be connected, nobody would have a problem with it. Well except their hang ups on how stupid the scientists were being (let’s not take a look at the real world here).

Ridley and co. unconnected it. The original script had it directly connected to the original movie with people turning into actual xenomorphs due to the goo, them being on LV426, and an Engineer crashing the ship and getting chestbursted. All that stuff got (thankfully) removed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterWeller posted:

There were a lot of people who didn’t want the questions answered, though. Also some of the “answers” were lovely retcons that undermined ‘Alien’ and would have been better served in a movie unconnected to ‘Alien’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No other movie in a franchise can ever ruin another movie for me. I used to think this with like the Star Wars prequels or whatever…but you can you know, not think about them and just enjoy the movie you like.