Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

socialsecurity posted:

If they want more variety in teams they went the wrong direction, should be 10 vs 10 not 5 vs 5.

Just make a Battlefield sized Overwatch. 32 vs 32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the coaches just play the meta they can blame the players for poor execution. If they want to try to innovate or get cute, they'll take the blame if things go poorly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
These playoffs are an extremely narrow meta and the meta wasn’t like this before the latest nerfs. Maps had set metas, but they did vary a bit from map to map.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 1, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Designing a hero based game for esports without being given the time and manpower to give a poo poo means you can either balance things for exactly one setup or pull a League of Legends and say “lol gently caress it” and let the hosed up nightmare meta that happens at the worldwide majors set the tone for reactionary balance for the next nine months

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
it just makes it kind of boring to watch. figure it out blizz, we want slightly more variety than tf2 comp

e: idea: hotfixes during sets. new patch is locked for us plebs at the end of a week of matches.

e2: junkertown defence... mein gott

attack?!!?

Quotey fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 1, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Which new map was this actually broken on, because she's been doing that as long as the game has existed.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bagrada posted:

Which new map was this actually broken on, because she's been doing that as long as the game has existed.

They did a bad job of describing the bug.

The bug is that in certain conditions, you can walk into the wall and warp to the top of it, it has been around since the ow2 beta so it's weird that it took them THIS long to fix it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bottom Liner posted:

What do you expect, it’s a brand new game there are going to be unexpected bugs

Lmao :golfclap:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Gotcha, should have figured since there's several flyers and physics abusers that would break things harder than her wall if it was a map issue.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder what it's like to play winston and not have your barrier instantly broken and then to be instantly shot to death.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i have the awesome white yeti winston skin so im always the center of attention

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
commentator just called esperanca spanish which has destroyed the chat feat tay zonday?!?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
They're gonna take away my sweet Mei-Mei for 2 weeks?

seriously what the gently caress blizzard

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Man it sucks to play this game and I'm trying to learn how to tank after mostly playing support. In more than half the games I play someone hurls all sorts of abuse at me even in unranked play. I am a garbage tank, but I'm trying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rosalind posted:

Man it sucks to play this game and I'm trying to learn how to tank after mostly playing support. In more than half the games I play someone hurls all sorts of abuse at me even in unranked play. I am a garbage tank, but I'm trying.

Hide. Chat. Mute. Voice. For some people being nice and decent is super loving hard, and you can't help that.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

You can hide chat???

I muted voice already after someone was just saying the n-word over and over the other day.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rosalind posted:

You can hide chat???

I muted voice already after someone was just saying the n-word over and over the other day.

ctrl+shift+c hides the chat window.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

teagone posted:

ctrl+shift+c hides the chat window.

This, and also command /hidechat

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My first game is always really laggy, like to the point I can't even see my teammates or the enemy, just red or blue lights on the screen. Usually by my 5th death or so, everything clears up. No idea why, but I know some people probably use lagging as an excuse, tonight I actually had a few people ask me if I was all right because my diva was literally standing there firing at a wall for a good 30 seconds.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cowslips Warren posted:

My first game is always really laggy, like to the point I can't even see my teammates or the enemy, just red or blue lights on the screen. Usually by my 5th death or so, everything clears up. No idea why, but I know some people probably use lagging as an excuse, tonight I actually had a few people ask me if I was all right because my diva was literally standing there firing at a wall for a good 30 seconds.

does it do that if you pop into any match? what if you went to the firing range?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, Widow is incredibly insufferable to deal with on certain map variations, like Busan. Teammates keep running out in a conga line to areas with long sightlines only to get headshot constantly by the Widow, and our tank doesn't think to switch to Winston to dive her, so it becomes a matter of suffering through it to hopefully get an enemy team without a Widow in the next match.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

same thing happens to me. i assume it's just some weird poo poo with how it has to load in the shader cache, but who knows

hanging out in the firing range for like 5 minutes seems to do the trick

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Man, Widow is incredibly insufferable to deal with on certain map variations, like Busan. Teammates keep running out in a conga line to areas with long sightlines only to get headshot constantly by the Widow, and our tank doesn't think to switch to Winston to dive her, so it becomes a matter of suffering through it to hopefully get an enemy team without a Widow in the next match.

I had an Ilios match where we held the zone 99-90. they had a good widow on their team. I told my team "they're gonna rush to recontest so make sure you put a wall between you and the widow"

our lucio crouched, unmoving, in the open. he got headshot before the fight started. we lost.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

On PC? What processor do you have? I was experiencing similar issues when I was running the betas on my old i7-4770, 16GB DDR3 RAM hardware. Once I swapped out those components and upgraded to an i5-12400 and 16GB of DDR4 on a new motherboard (kept my 1660 Ti), the game has run perfectly since launch.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even in gm people are gonna look at widows for almost no reasonable gain, they just do it less

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

comedyblissoption posted:

even in gm people are gonna look at widows for almost no reasonable gain, they just do it less

I had a guy on Colosseo today as Soldier peek a widow and a hanzo about 10 seconds before the rest of us could leave spawn

he gets headshot

"soldier could you not peek double sniper"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO SIT IN SPAWN ALL GAME"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

he's absolutely right it requires immense self discipline not to put yourself in a terrible position by doing...nothing

which is why regrouping is such an arduous task for most players

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Proven posted:

This, and also command /hidechat

You can toggle them from the game settings too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

One of the big questions going into OW2 was 'can blizzard figure out at all how to balance their game'

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

One of the big questions going into OW2 was 'can blizzard figure out at all how to balance their game'

"So long as everyone plays the same set of exactly 5 heroes, yes"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

comedyblissoption posted:

he's absolutely right it requires immense self discipline not to put yourself in a terrible position by doing...nothing

which is why regrouping is such an arduous task for most players

what do you call 5 golds who use team work

diamonds

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"So long as everyone plays the same set of exactly 5 heroes, yes"

it's funny cuz it's what no one wants, but also when ow has historically had zero meta diversity you do get an interesting and kind of more conventional sports situation that comes down to individual skill differences in the mirror matchups. On the other hand, then you have another goats situation

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 1, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's beginning to look like the game fundamentally might be unfixable.

You have something that essentially plays like Dota or League, but with FPS mechanics mixed in. However, both of those games have well over 100 characters you can choose from as well as draft mechanics with bans in competitive play, which keeps the meta diverse enough that there are always 20-30 picks that can be considered top meta, and just as many that are in the 'workable as meta' category. Even the ones that don't fit in those 2 categories are mostly still usable as niche or strategy-specific heroes. In the case of Overwatch, there just isn't enough going on with ~30 picks when the roles are way more strict, and the game itself is in denial of what genre of game it actually is. With all the changes to try and make OW2 feel more like a shooter and less like a MOBA, it doesn't feel any different when everything is so formulaic. The biggest mistake is trying to make the game LESS about counterpicks, even with the smaller hero pool, rather than more about counterpicks and niches. The less counterplay there is is, the more the game comes down to Most Effective Tactics Available, just based on simple math and convenience. All this on top of a playerbase who is mostly unwilling to coordinate and comminicate with their teams, and just wants to go brr brr boom boom I kill u in an environment where that type of play is severely punished.

So what happens? The same thing as with OW1. People huff their "hey Overwatch is ACTUALLY better than it has ever been before" copium and play for a few seasons, then lose interest just like they did with OW1 as it slowly becomes apparent that the game is not what they think it is. There needs to be much more impactful changes to character kits themselves and probably quite a few more new heroes in a much tighter deadline than Blizzard seems capable of committing to if they want to fix this. It would probably help to have offensive damage characters and defensive damage characters, but they've said they couldn't figure this out in the past. Possibly because they are idiotic and didn't explore it enough.

I think they are well aware of all this, though. This is why there are poo poo rewards, and exorbitantly priced cosmetics. They want to milk it for the first few months when people will actually be playing the game, and make their payday in the first 6-9 months so they can let it fade into low priority just like OW1 did.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think it's because you have to practice SOMETHING ahead of time, so coaches converge on mirror strategies to avoid embarrassment. Unfortunately the optimal play is to go all in on 1 comp and 1 hero no matter what it is for months before the match. You can't just change unless you put effort into 2 different comps, which is sub-optimal.

I had this idea in the OW1 esports thread that if there were some kind of randomized, mirrored hero bans that were core to the game of overwatch, you would get more interesting play. If people had to be generalists, they wouldn't all fine-tune the same comp. (everyone told me to gtfo)

headcase fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 1, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

headcase posted:

I think it's because you have to practice SOMETHING ahead of time, so coaches converge on mirror strategies to avoid embarrassment. Unfortunately the optimal play is to go all in on 1 comp and 1 hero no matter what it is for months before the match. You can't just change unless you put effort into 2 different comps, which is sub-optimal.

I had this idea in the OW1 esports thread that if there were some kind of randomized, mirrored hero bans that were core to the game of overwatch, you would get more interesting play. If people had to be generalists, they wouldn't all fine-tune the same comp. (everyone told me to gtfo)

Why not just have a curated team for every season? If there's any anxiety about things getting stale, divide a season into quarters and rotate a unit or two out every Q.

New season, entirely new picks that saw no use last season.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just run comp on a role queue version of Mystery Heroes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Randomized hero bans for OWL would be hilarious. I'd love it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

Randomized hero bans for OWL would be hilarious. I'd love it.

Agreed. The pro mentality naturally takes you to honing 1 thing. If the game were inherently mastering many heros and being flexible (like it is on ladder), you would get a different pool of players.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

just from my experience playing gold/plat, the majority of players are "mains" who either never switch or only switch to abuse certain map features. so just do it LoL style completely and implement bans AND picks

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

bagrada posted:

What I think contributed was Mei being able to get partially inside geometry due to how ice wall now interacts with her, and then Kiriko could teleport to her and end up fully inside map geo and be able to throw kunai with impunity. I know it was possible on Paradiso, and likely other maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

so just do it LoL style completely and implement bans AND picks

the big issue here is that this would require blizzard to properly balance out existing heroes (re: no more pharmercy requiring specific team compositions to actually deal with them, roadhog not feeling 2x harder to kill without an ana counter) and require them to add in enough echo fighters that mains wouldn't feel stuffed if their very specific playstyle got banned or picked away

if you're playing league and your yasuo onetrick gets picked away, you can fall back on yone or irelia and not miss too many beats if you've had some practice time with them. comparatively, there's no one in OW who replicates the feeling of genji or mei or torbjorn or junkrat, so your only option if those get banned/picked away is to pick something completely outside your chosen playstyle, which is irksome to the extreme