Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Intruder posted:

e: nvm was remembering wrong

There was a case where someone got caught cause he tried to gather his bat pieces instead of running it out but that wasn't Sammy, can't remember who it was

Sammy did cork his bat though and blamed it on it being the wrong bat, claimed it was a BP bat that he used to hit long homeruns for the fans

That was Wilton Guerrero wasn’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
For me no one will ever beat Greg Nettles' bat filled with super balls in terms of actual offense

The Albert Belle incident of course tops everyone because of the post-confiscation chicanery

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Despite all the dingers Sammy hit, he has less bWar than Bobby Abreu which I find hilarious

Sosa has 609 HRs and 58.6 bWar. That has to be one of the lowest war per dinger

I am too lazy to learn how to check that kind of thing but my first guess for lowest bWAR/HR ratio (with some minimums in place) is Ryan Howard.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Despite all the dingers Sammy hit, he has less bWar than Bobby Abreu which I find hilarious

Sosa has 609 HRs and 58.6 bWar. That has to be one of the lowest war per dinger

To be fair, Bobby Abreu was really, really good

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Red posted:

To be fair, Bobby Abreu was really, really good

Yeah and very under appreciated

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I loved Abreu back in the day, but in the case of two all-bat RF, the fact that the WAR algorithm says the guy who hit 600 dingers is less valuable sure is something

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

davecrazy posted:

Aparently the Mets are making their RF Aaron Judge friendly.

going all out to court the little league stadium home run king wow

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Good Dog posted:

I am too lazy to learn how to check that kind of thing but my first guess for lowest bWAR/HR ratio (with some minimums in place) is Ryan Howard.

Quick check and Howard wrecks Sosa for lower bWAR/HR

14.7 / 382

Adam Dunn at a nearly equal but ever so slightly better 17.9 / 462

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

maffew buildings posted:

going all out to court the little league stadium home run king wow

Of all the things I hate the Wilpons about, the orginal dimensions of Citi Field are right up there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I loved Abreu back in the day, but in the case of two all-bat RF, the fact that the WAR algorithm says the guy who hit 600 dingers is less valuable sure is something

Abreu was a much better hitter except at hitting dingers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tony Phillips posted:

14.7 / 382

Mark Reynolds: 6.8/298

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Mark Reynolds: 6.8/298

Ouch. No way that's being beat.

edit: or not.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 31, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Dante Bichette is at 5.7/274

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jose Guillen 6.4/214
Deron Johnson 6.3/245
Dante Bichette: 5.7/274

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Dawning on me that there's plenty of players with a negative WAR, so there's gotta be some HR minimum I think.

There's probably someone even more terrible with more HRs, but Mariners legend Danny Meyer is sitting at -6.5 with 86 HR.

Good ol' worst hitter ever Bill Bergen is at -6.9 WAR with 2 HRs which might be the worst ever if ignoring any minimums.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I expected Neifi Perez to have a negative WAR and surprisingly he does not

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I expected Neifi Perez to have a negative WAR and surprisingly he does not

Playing in Colorado made his offensive numbers not awful, and he was always slightly above average at defense, apparently. That's super confusing, because I remember him being terrible at every facet of baseball.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
corked bats are especially funny because the science suggests they don't actually help at all

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Red posted:

Playing in Colorado made his offensive numbers not awful, and he was always slightly above average at defense, apparently. That's super confusing, because I remember him being terrible at every facet of baseball.

He was terrible. He barely hit in one of the greatest offensive environments ever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2EwY93ID30

Corked bat exit velo was higher.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Did not expect to be come at that aggressively from a YouTube tutorial

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Those guys were crushing baseballs at 95-97mph exit velo with the normal bat and it really puts into perspective that Kyle Schwarber nuked one at 120 mph. :stare:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Those guys were crushing baseballs at 95-97mph exit velo with the normal bat and it really puts into perspective that Kyle Schwarber nuked one at 120 mph. :stare:

If he were alive 100 years ago, he'd be the farm kid that beat up the circus strongman

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Those guys are really good hitters, former D1 college/pro ball players and some minor league guys but occasionally they get a top prospect like Adley Rutschman has been on a few times and MLB level talent is just so good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

by about 3 MPH at max exit velo wow god drat

e: to be clear, because this is the internet, that is a sincere reaction not a sarcastic one

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Tony Phillips posted:

Dawning on me that there's plenty of players with a negative WAR, so there's gotta be some HR minimum I think.

There's probably someone even more terrible with more HRs, but Mariners legend Danny Meyer is sitting at -6.5 with 86 HR.

Good ol' worst hitter ever Bill Bergen is at -6.9 WAR with 2 HRs which might be the worst ever if ignoring any minimums.

Surprised to see Yuni was only at -2.4 bWAR.

All-time inverse correlation between quality of nickname and quality of player though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Here's when Chris Sabo was caught with a corked bat. Sabo claims he borrowed it from a teammate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft-pWVaRnQ8

Billy Hatcher's corked bat. It wasn't his. Hilariously, it belonged to pitcher Dave Smith. Or at least, it had Smith's number on the handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75KwmNDJy7Q

Others caught with cork:
Graig Nettles in 1974
Albert Belle in 1994 (the one Jason Grimsley Mission Impossible'd from the umpires room)
Wilton Guerrero in 1997
Sosa in 2003

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tony Phillips posted:

14.7 / 382

By the metric of bWAR/HR, the greatest player of all time is Bartolo Colon

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

By the metric of bWAR/HR, the greatest player of all time is Bartolo Colon

It would be Clemens if he ever hit a home run, but it's actually Randy Johnson.

(It's absolutely Bartolo if you're ranking (bWAR/HR)*howawsomeitwas)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

TIL both Tom Seaver and Greg Maddux hit 5 HR somehow :psypop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

Bartolo actually has a negative modifier for stealing Johan's Cy Young

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

TIL both Tom Seaver and Greg Maddux hit 5 HR somehow :psypop:

Zach Greinke has 9 career HRs which is extremely impressive considering he spent more than half of his career playing with the DH

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Shohei Ohtani has 127

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Here's when Chris Sabo was caught with a corked bat. Sabo claims he borrowed it from a teammate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft-pWVaRnQ8

Billy Hatcher's corked bat. It wasn't his. Hilariously, it belonged to pitcher Dave Smith. Or at least, it had Smith's number on the handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75KwmNDJy7Q

Others caught with cork:
Graig Nettles in 1974
Albert Belle in 1994 (the one Jason Grimsley Mission Impossible'd from the umpires room)
Wilton Guerrero in 1997
Sosa in 2003

I think you’re forgetting the all time greatest corked bat aftermath

In 2000, card company Pacific put out a product called Invincible that included game used bat cards - they obtained gamers from players, cut them up into slices, and inserted them into cards that were hella hard to find and really well-designed. Well whoops, turns out the gamer they got from Manny was corked and it made it into some of the cards CORK INTACT

Pacific hit the panic button after the card was released and purchased a SECOND bat to cut up and insert into a different product to make good. Except…. That one turned out to be corked too. Manny being Manny on a whole ‘nother level

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My favorite part about the Albert Belle corked bat is when Grimsley broke into the office to replace it with an uncorked bat he used a Paul Sorrento bat. When asked why, he said because Belle didn't have any uncorked bats

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Popete posted:

Shohei Ohtani has 127

Only 5 in games he pitched in :colbert:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GPTribefan posted:

I think you’re forgetting the all time greatest corked bat aftermath

In 2000, card company Pacific put out a product called Invincible that included game used bat cards - they obtained gamers from players, cut them up into slices, and inserted them into cards that were hella hard to find and really well-designed. Well whoops, turns out the gamer they got from Manny was corked and it made it into some of the cards CORK INTACT

Pacific hit the panic button after the card was released and purchased a SECOND bat to cut up and insert into a different product to make good. Except…. That one turned out to be corked too. Manny being Manny on a whole ‘nother level

This is awesome. I have $50 paypal burning a hole in my pocket and I'm distraught there aren't any on ebay. I wonder how much they go for!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess those sell for a lot more than $50.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Popete posted:

I'm going to guess those sell for a lot more than $50.

lol ya this. That's a card that could go for serious $$$$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Google says it was listed for like $5k last time it was on ebay