Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Scorn is so weird lol

I think I like it, but if I don't finish it during a second session I dunno if I'll be able to keep going. It's so weird because it's like, not actually a horror game; you mostly get to wander around and freely explore. It's just the grossest puzzle game ever created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Commander Keen Dreams was just released on Xbox last week and I'm torn. Commander Keen was a huge part of my childhood and have very fond memories of playing those games with my sibling.

However, the current owner of Keen Dreams is a gigantic racist cockwomble and I really don't want to give him my money. :(

At least he doesn't own the other Commander Keen games that were a lot better quality.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, turns out he had a connection to the owners of Softdisk and bought the rights to some of their old games for a pittance - he crowdfunded it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Commander Keen Dreams was just released on Xbox last week and I'm torn. Commander Keen was a huge part of my childhood and have very fond memories of playing those games with my sibling.

However, the current owner of Keen Dreams is a gigantic racist cockwomble and I really don't want to give him my money. :(

At least he doesn't own the other Commander Keen games that were a lot better quality.

Dreams is the worst one anyway

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
For however this guy looks on the outside, he's about 10 times worse to actually deal with directly and the whole reason why we had to remove the title from Steam. I can't fathom why anyone else would willingly choose to work with him outside of being complicit.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I guess I'll just pirate it and play it for a bit, or watch a LP on YouTube.

e: wait, you work at Valve? Am i misreading that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nightdive

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Ye, Nightdive. We tried relaunching it briefly after it was initially removed, but things fell apart with the license holder.

I guess I'll just pirate it and play it for a bit, or watch a LP on YouTube.

So funny thing about Keen Dreams, the Shareware version that was released is actually already the full game, and the registration was just pretty much advertisement for Softdisk. You can play the whole game in DOSBOX guilt free: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Keen_Dreams_Versions

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 1, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Persona seems cool. Quick resume means I can just come and go whenever I have time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Martman posted:

Scorn is so weird lol

I think I like it, but if I don't finish it during a second session I dunno if I'll be able to keep going. It's so weird because it's like, not actually a horror game; you mostly get to wander around and freely explore. It's just the grossest puzzle game ever created.

It goes downhill pretty hard once it starts throwing combat into the mix.

The combat's just miserably bad.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It goes downhill pretty hard once it starts throwing combat into the mix.

The combat's just miserably bad.

I saw a review that said if you just wait and let the enemies walk by you can avoid most of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

priznat posted:

Wasn’t there a star control game just put out recently? And the original rights holders hadn’t really been properly notified or whatever but they worked it out amicably? I have been meaning to try it out.

PC only I think

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it was by stardock and the guy that runs stardock sucks poo poo and kinda weaseled the rights to star control from the original guys so i did not and will not play it

priznat posted:

Yeah I heard they were cool with it in the end I’m not entirely sure why they would forgo getting royalties or whatever though.
Stardock and the original Star Control creators were set to go to court about an assortment of issues (like credit for who created the franchise, who owns the alien species from the original games etc.), but they were ultimately settled amicably out of court with an exchange of mead and honey instead of cash and legal bills.

The long and short of it is that Stardock has the Star Control name and their own little universe that they started with their own game (Star Control Origins), while the original creators are taking the original universe and aliens and making their own sequel, called The Ur-Quan Masters 2.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

He made a game where you kill refugees? Sick gently caress. Anyway, why doesn't Microsoft release the Keen games on Xbox now that they own them?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Anyway, why doesn't Microsoft release the Keen games on Xbox now that they own them?

They are currently stuck on DOS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lammasu posted:

I saw a review that said if you just wait and let the enemies walk by you can avoid most of it.

They do not just walk by, they're all aggressive on-sight and your ammo and health restocks are always meagre as gently caress too. Best you can manage is just to eat a few hits running past them and hope for the best, because they're always in narrow corridors.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Rocket Pan posted:

They are currently stuck on DOS.
They can get Doom to run on a pregnancy test, but they can't get Commander Keen to run on Xbox?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
More people want to play doom on a pregnancy test.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lammasu posted:

They can get Doom to run on a pregnancy test, but they can't get Commander Keen to run on Xbox?

Doom has been getting ported to different platforms for years, and evidently it was designed to be portable from the start with no clever hardware tricks and very abstract input requirements.

Keen meanwhile was built entirely around Carmack showing off this neat trick he found on how to do a fast side-scrolling renderer using EGA buffer offsets and adaptive partial redrawing, and has never left its original DOS version since.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1587429736963194881

Game of the Year 2022 Vampire Survivors coming to Xbox this month.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Return to Monkey Island is great too, I don't regret having bought that on Switch already, if you have any love for that series make sure to check it out.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
drat I'm excited for a bunch of these. Maybe there's no AAA games this holiday but our cups runneth over with AA.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zerot posted:

Fantastic haul! I was just about to buy the new Monkey Island for PC too but now I don't have to.

Which one of these should I play before they're gone?

Leaving November 15

Art of Rally (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Fae Tactics (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Next Space Rebel (Cloud, Console, and PC)
One Step from Eden (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Supraland (Cloud, Console, and PC)

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 1, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

External Organs posted:

our cups runneth over with AA.

You'll need those to keep the controller going.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I was waiting for Return to Monkey Island to hit GOG before I bought it. I’ll gladly take the game pass release too!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Woah, the new Monkey Island. That's really nice.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

404notfound posted:

My interest in the Bethesda formula was already tapering off by the time Skyrim came out, and Fallout 4 confirmed that I'm pretty much done with it. Fortunately, Game Pass makes it very frictionless to try the game out, so I'll still give it a spin

That's kind of interesting because Fallout 4 is a massive re-jiggering of the formula. It adds far more emphasis on exploration by hiding necessary loots and stuff to environments. Honestly I bounce off the game after about 8 hours every time because on paper it sounds rad as gently caress:
- areas respawn with stronger enemies and better loot
- legendary enemies with legendary loot
- game is about scrounging for stuff to macguyver yourself better guns and stuff
- enemy AI is massively improved, and are much more fun to fight
- power armor is more lore-correct and feels like something special
- essentially an Infinite Fallout Adventure Simulator, and also you can rebuild civilization so it doesn't remain a static shithole for 200 hours.
on and on and on, there's more but drat, it sounds so good, but I really don't like it even acknowledging the differences. Shoot a deathclaw in new vegas with a sniper rifle and watch it run over six landmines in a straight line to get you. wee....but also, since Fallout 4 came out, I've put an additional 90 hours into New Vegas on top of my previous 200. So I kept going back. 60% of my fallout 4 adventuring time is just me trying to make mods work and launching the game over and over.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gently caress starfield, do a modern take on star control 2 imo

It feels at times like it could be, though. I have a strong feeling Space Combat will be in little instanced areas, and resources won't be lander based but you will laser them off walls. The modules and such as well. But there's obviously gonna be more land-based focus on everything compared to Star Control's space based stuff.

Oh I hope some of those planets are wacky bullshit like Star Control II's were, with gold planets and giant gems in space etc.

The Kins posted:

Stardock and the original Star Control creators were set to go to court about an assortment of issues (like credit for who created the franchise, who owns the alien species from the original games etc.), but they were ultimately settled amicably out of court with an exchange of mead and honey instead of cash and legal bills.

The long and short of it is that Stardock has the Star Control name and their own little universe that they started with their own game (Star Control Origins), while the original creators are taking the original universe and aliens and making their own sequel, called The Ur-Quan Masters 2.

Yeah, Stardock bought the trademark and kind of just went ahead using everything else. It was very much in ways Star Control 2, more or less. It's a fine little game but it's not meant to have any of the survival aspects, you can, as a newbie with no idea whats going on, get crazy amounts of fuel and shitloads of landers etc. The 3D planets are okay but iirc Stardock considered them to be kind of a mistake and future installments will probably involve some kind of on-foot adventuring and not so much zooming around in a lander collecting resource orbs. Lots of the new aliens are fine but not amazing. Nothing in there comes close to the Orz, the Spathi or the Ur-Quan.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Lammasu posted:

He made a game where you kill refugees? Sick gently caress. Anyway, why doesn't Microsoft release the Keen games on Xbox now that they own them?

Didn't Softdisk and Apogee publish all of the Keen games?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

welcome posted:

Didn't Softdisk and Apogee publish all of the Keen games?
Softdisk published Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter as part of various contractual obligations (Id was formed by Softdisk employees while they were on the clock using company equipment, so they had to make a deal to do some stuff for their old bosses to avoid legal trouble), while Apogee published the rest. Id owns the rights to the Apogee Keen games, but whoever owned the Softdisk stuff was apparently asking for get-outta-town money for those two games back in 2007 or whatever. Thus, the current mess.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Ah, cool. Then I agree with the OP, where the Keen games at?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zerot posted:

Hmmm. Ghost Song. You know, I'm starting to think that Game Pass is functioning as a Kick Starter game saver. Something similar happen with Scorn. Any other examples anyone can think of?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'd never heard of Ghost Song but that sure is a Metroid game right there. Not even a Vania, looks like.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

Softdisk published Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter as part of various contractual obligations (Id was formed by Softdisk employees while they were on the clock using company equipment, so they had to make a deal to do some stuff for their old bosses to avoid legal trouble), while Apogee published the rest. Id owns the rights to the Apogee Keen games, but whoever owned the Softdisk stuff was apparently asking for get-outta-town money for those two games back in 2007 or whatever. Thus, the current mess.
Keen 6 (Aliens Ate My Babysitter) was published by FormGen, not Softdisk. It seems like maybe Atari owns it now?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Oh man Art of Rally is leaving. That's been my jam for a few months of quick racing

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Persona 5 is fun but it seems very long and is already getting kind of samey and I'm just past the 3rd castle. It's also very talk heavy for something that's a pretty simple concept.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

drat I'm excited for a bunch of these. Maybe there's no AAA games this holiday but our cups runneth over with AA.

Callisto Protocol is gonna be awesome.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Now that’s something I haven’t thought about in a minute

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Iirc some dude is trying to solo-revive Apogee as an indie publisher. Nothing too promising looking but I do remember seeing him float the idea of releasing/remastering Raptor which I’d be all about.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

American McGay posted:

Iirc some dude is trying to solo-revive Apogee as an indie publisher. Nothing too promising looking but I do remember seeing him float the idea of releasing/remastering Raptor which I’d be all about.
if we're wishing for '90s shmup remasters give me a new tyrian and not one that has the pretzel pete bullshit

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

It's being headed up by the original founder, IIRC. They generally do Steam stuff like Turbo Overkill, but they're involved with that Rise of the Triad port Night Dive's doing, so this is still somehow relevant to the Xbox thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

butt dickus posted:

if we're wishing for '90s shmup remasters give me a new tyrian and not one that has the pretzel pete bullshit
The OG Tyrian sans the 2000 Pretzel Pete stuff is free and has a full-on port to modern platforms. Dunno if there's a XB1/Series port yet, though.