Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
the real problem with the last of us 1 and 2 is that every faction is named like 'the fireflies' or 'the rattlers' or 'the wolves' or 'da piggies'. how am i supposed to take them seriously when a faction that sounds like a division 2 college football team says they can do neuro surgery and invent a cure for zombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What would you prefer that they be called?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

imhotep posted:

the real problem with the last of us 1 and 2 is that every faction is named like 'the fireflies' or 'the rattlers' or 'the wolves' or 'da piggies'. how am i supposed to take them seriously when a faction that sounds like a division 2 college football team says they can do neuro surgery and invent a cure for zombies

Godamnnit I deliberately changed the conversation away from tloutakes with my own hot tskes and you snipe a page with this smh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tbh most games have this issue with factions and the complaint comes up a bit. Idk what you'd do though. If I was a faction and could come up with my own name I'd definitely go with something like The Bigdogs.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Silver Snakes, Blue Barracudas, Red Jaguars

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There should be a faction called The Zombies in every zombie game where they otherwise completely avoid using the word to describe actual zombies.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

imhotep posted:

As mentioned above, you're not wrong, but this is exactly what people would do. Even the smart humans are really stupid. We'd probably see that sort of naming a lot more often now if there wasn't a bureaucratic body saying you couldn't or shouldn't.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No game is ever going to compete with the irl mob's assassination arm naming itself Murder Incorporated anyway

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

whatever

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So many different videogame enemies named "Juggernaut", "Leviathan", "Brute", "Heavy", "Predator", "Wraith", etc.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
im not sure i understand the disagreement about tlou's ending, some people think they did have a cure (arist?) and other people think they didnt and they were just a bunch of clumsy assholes, like the burglars in home alone (beanpole)? i'm not trying to bring up the argument again, i just legitimately don't know what the beef is. i only ask because i guess it's relevant to what i was going to ask in an earlier post, but i didn't for whatever reason, but: what is tlou3 going to be about? have naughty dog or neil hinted at anything? i suppose they didnt say anything about tlou 2's plot, and that's why people reacted the way they did to leaks

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The beef is... *veeg voice* ..beefy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I felt the same way about "Diamond Dogs", just sounded too cheesy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

imhotep posted:

im not sure i understand the disagreement about tlou's ending, some people think they did have a cure (arist?) and other people think they didnt and they were just a bunch of clumsy assholes, like the burglars in home alone (beanpole)? i'm not trying to bring up the argument again, i just legitimately don't know what the beef is.

For me, it’s anyone who says they definitely did or didn’t have a cure vs that we’re not meant to know. It’s taking one of my favourite shades of grey endings from any piece of media and trying to make it black and white. Thankfully it is not something I feel strongly about to actually argue over

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think you're supposed to believe they can do it, but whatever, it's not super important to me. However, thinking they absolutely can't do it (an argument fairly often born from misinterpreting or straight-up inventing supporting evidence found nowhere in the game) just turns it from a moral quandary into "good guy kills the bad guys."

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Arist posted:

I think you're supposed to believe they can do it, but whatever, it's not super important to me. However, thinking they absolutely can't do it (an argument fairly often born from misinterpreting or straight-up inventing supporting evidence found nowhere in the game) just turns it from a moral quandary into "good guy kills the bad guys."

yeah i agree, especially after playing tlou2, abby's dad seems like a legitimately good guy, from what little you see him. but also reading the notes in the first game also makes it clear that they at least feel confident that they're close to finding a cure, or know what they need to do.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Part of faction names being what they are may be because you don' want to bring actual real world stuff/politics/religion into the games.

Yeah they ar enot super great, with animal names etc. But what would you call them?
The Scientists? The Marauders? Not much better tbh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://youtu.be/tQH0YK1rGVc

Uh

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i guess i don’t understand why you can’t take factions with dii team names seriously? tons of military subgroups/squadrons/units do this.

and…what’s the alternative? some bureaucratic initialism or acronym? numbers? do they make up a word like they’re a new country? hipster band name?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I dunno how you can't relate to Kratos. Do none of you parents also tear villains in half and stomp their heads in while going out with your kid? If not what's wrong with you?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cool Badass Murder Squad #1-4

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

haveblue posted:

Cool Badass Murder Squad #1-4

yes, or band names or something. or like the real life inspiration for godspeed you black emperor, the japanese bike gang called the black emperors.

but also, just like don't have faction names, we're all human beings maan. work together and maybe without silly team names there might be less hostility.

that was pretty cute, ngl. ben stiller is cool

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 1, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

John Travolta looks awful with a shaved head wow

hope he's not battling cancer or something like that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think he’s just old and bald now OP

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Lmao who is this commercial even aimed at? Gamer dads that would be buying God of War anyway?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sony should have just paid the Plays God of War Once guy to make another youtube video. Probably would have been way funnier + cheaper.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He’s been bald for years. His hairpieces were so lame. Love the bald look.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I fully support Sony going back to the nonsensical PlayStation ads they always used to make

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are the kid and the lady famous people

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh it’s their actual kids

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
they should have given lebron his kid from space jam 2

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I felt bad for Lebron’s kids, their acting was somehow deemed too bad for Space Jam 2

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I felt bad for Lebron’s kids, their acting was somehow deemed too bad for Space Jam 2

Yeah nah, other way around

Everyone involved in Space Jam 2 should feel bad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Space jam 2 was a movie where LeBron slam dunked Don Cheadle so hard he became an NFT

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hot take incoming: They should have just invested that 1/3rd of the budget into the actual game or to pay their workers more.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Was it ever confirmed what contribution grrm actually made to elden ring? I remember loads of marketing at the time, but now I'm playing it there seem to be no traces of his influence at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

imhotep posted:

im not sure i understand the disagreement about tlou's ending, some people think they did have a cure (arist?) and other people think they didnt and they were just a bunch of clumsy assholes, like the burglars in home alone (beanpole)? i'm not trying to bring up the argument again, i just legitimately don't know what the beef is. i only ask because i guess it's relevant to what i was going to ask in an earlier post, but i didn't for whatever reason, but: what is tlou3 going to be about? have naughty dog or neil hinted at anything? i suppose they didnt say anything about tlou 2's plot, and that's why people reacted the way they did to leaks

The zombies are gonna mutate yet again and it's gonna be Evil Dead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Was it ever confirmed what contribution grrm actually made to elden ring? I remember loads of marketing at the time, but now I'm playing it there seem to be no traces of his influence at all.

according to From he wrote all the complex background lore and family intrigue and then From took it and went “ok now it’s years later and everyone’s dead”

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowman posted:

John Travolta looks awful with a shaved head wow

hope he's not battling cancer or something like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAyojcayxFw&t=133s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

imhotep posted:

Yeah this isn't the 80's anymore, you can't be calling yourself the War Pups or Bullet Farmers or The Wretched and expect anyone to take their story seriously. They'd be too seriously looking at the camera saying that's a ridiculous name and then get an arrow in the throat.