Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I had never engaged with the actual Royalty side of that DLC at all, I think this time I might actually take the Royalty win condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hail, Stink!!!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is that a towel rack in Stink's bathroom?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, Faster Wound Recovery is incredibly strong. Pawns are back on their feet in no time at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dandywalken posted:

Hail, Stink!!!

Grand Matriarch of the Stenk Clan :kimchi:

Cool Dad posted:

Is that a towel rack in Stink's bathroom?

yes, made of gold
jade smart toilet and matching basin, silver hot tub/silver power shower

e: something weird went on in my current game and everyone has unreasonably high animal, cooking and art skills and I have no idea why :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Love when one of my pawns throws a tantrum and proceeds to punch our entire medicine stack into oblivion during year 1.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait until they punch a stack of incendiary shells

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's great when a pawn is like gently caress YOU ANTIGRAIN WARHEAD

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone know of a mod that will reduce random family members spawning for your colonists? I used to use HAR for this but it isn't working too well with Biotech, and the only other mod I could find got rid of all random relationships. I still want some relationships among raiders and non-player factions, but I don't want all of my pawn's grandmas showing up regularly in raids.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Popete posted:

Love when one of my pawns throws a tantrum and proceeds to punch our entire medicine stack into oblivion during year 1.

Yeah like I get that its part of the games charm, but poo poo like that just makes me reload

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Two of my tribespeople got into a social fight. White Dog insulted Brom's clothing, so Brom punched his loving leg off.

While tending to White Dog's missing leg and the resulting infection, Saga keeps having to stop to throw up and then starts over. She has morning sickness.

After this she went to attend her wedding ceremony, but it was called off because she started a fight with her fiance's husband. My pawns are a big queer polycule and a bunch of messy bitches and it's hilarious.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

It's great when a pawn is like gently caress YOU ANTIGRAIN WARHEAD

You won't get our corn this time!!!

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

If anyone is looking for a way to find more mods that isn't just scrolling through popular over and over I recommend scrolling through some collections.

I found a lot of mods from Mr. Samuel Streamer's (Rimworld youtuber) collections. He usually puts out a themed "modpack" every few months to go along with his videos. I don't recommend the headache that comes with installing the entire collection but you can find some neat stuff scrolling through the list.

His first 1.4 collection is more "vanilla" but it still contains 261 mods and its worth a scroll to see if you spot anything new and interesting.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882586370

Its the way I've discovered a ton of new mods to use.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so stupid problem, I have the kitchen setup how I like with shelves making everything super sick. still using rimfridge so I can have distant fridges for things without having to think about cooling to super cold temps. I also have a wall fridge right behind the kitchen setup to the dining room so people can grab meals fast.

when I have it set to "drop on floor", the guy just keeps churning out meals past what I want, because there's no stockpile there. when I have a stockpile there with a lower priority than the fridge, pawns walk into the kitchen to grab from there first. what can I do to make this better/easier?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tatsuta Age posted:

so stupid problem, I have the kitchen setup how I like with shelves making everything super sick. still using rimfridge so I can have distant fridges for things without having to think about cooling to super cold temps. I also have a wall fridge right behind the kitchen setup to the dining room so people can grab meals fast.

when I have it set to "drop on floor", the guy just keeps churning out meals past what I want, because there's no stockpile there. when I have a stockpile there with a lower priority than the fridge, pawns walk into the kitchen to grab from there first. what can I do to make this better/easier?

Make a stockpile but set it to the lowest priority, have your freezer set to a higher priority is the best you're going to get, sounds like you need more pawns focused in hauling things faster

Although with rimfridge specifically you could set up the kitchen right behind the dining room and just have your pawn put it directly in the wall fridge right next to the stove

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 1, 2022

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Omnicarus posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that will reduce random family members spawning for your colonists? I used to use HAR for this but it isn't working too well with Biotech, and the only other mod I could find got rid of all random relationships. I still want some relationships among raiders and non-player factions, but I don't want all of my pawn's grandmas showing up regularly in raids.

I had a run in 1.3 where one of my initial colonists had the largest, most sprawling family tree I've ever seen. Every single trade caravan and raid had at least one relative in them, and going into lategame the whole game was struggling to keep track of her ungodly fertile family briarbush. I finally had to go in with Character Editor and remove her relationship to her parents so it would stop giving her more and more kin. When I did, the framerate improved by about 10 FPS.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I had never engaged with the actual Royalty side of that DLC at all, I think this time I might actually take the Royalty win condition

Hey just FYI, if you replace that door to the bathroom with a stall door, it doesn't divide the room and you can link the hygiene items to the bed, preventing random pawns from coming in and using the Jade Throne.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone found a 1.4 mod yet that let's you do customizations and set skills for pawns for a new campaign?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Piell posted:

Make a stockpile but set it to the lowest priority, have your freezer set to a higher priority is the best you're going to get, sounds like you need more pawns focused in hauling things faster

Although with rimfridge specifically you could set up the kitchen right behind the dining room and just have your pawn put it directly in the wall fridge right next to the stove

I get what you're saying and that's what I tried, but if the stockpile is set to lower priority, the pawns choose to get their meals there. It's kinda stupid.

You can't set a fridge as a dropoff location in Rimfridge, unfortunately. If I do set the cook to put them in the best stockpile, sometimes they'll run all over the base to deliver 4 meals to one of the remote fridges (like at the jail).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Back Hack posted:

Anyone found a 1.4 mod yet that let's you do customizations and set skills for pawns for a new campaign?

I believe the effect can be achieved by picking whichever then using the character editor mod, which does work for 1.4.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

This is a good mod for cleaning up world pawns that aren't really relevant anymore, its more of a performance mod so I don't think you have much control of what it cleans up. I don't think it would help with relationships being generated but once they are off the map for awhile they should get cleaned up and removed from the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2559582557&searchtext=RuntimeGC

Back Hack posted:

I think this is what you're asking for: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1874644848&searchtext=Character

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tatsuta Age posted:

Pawns are grabbing from the floor because it's closer to them than the fridge (in an absolute sense, not by pathing distance). I'm guessing your kitchen is in between the dining room and where everyone sleeps or works?

Your options are basically as follows: rethinking how your meals are prepared/distributed (limit prisoners to simple meals and you won't have your cook deliver lavish meals there), redesigning your base to make specific stockpiles closer to hungry pawns, zoning to control either who is allowed in the kitchen or where the cook is allowed to deliver meals, a dedicated hauler whose sole purpose in life is to live in the kitchen/freezer and move meals to the fridge (you could use trained animals for this), or trying to fix things with more mods.

Room Food encourages pawns to prioritize eating meals in the dining room, but I don't know if it's working with the 1.4 update. I'm sure I've seen mods to allow delivering to fridges before but I don't remember any names offhand.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

Guess I'm back to post another of Uuugggg's mods again, I use Room Food to fix this, which has pawns find the table they want to eat at and then check to see if there's any food in that room already. I do the same thing you do with wall fridges, this should make pawns come pull a meal out there before they check other rooms for available food. As an added bonus, if you just keep things like Packaged Survival Meals elsewhere this will pretty effectively keep people from eating them randomly, without having to mess with changing around food restrictions.

Basically everything this guy makes is great, and just a small QoL fix. If you've been sorting the workshop list by Most Subscribed you probably have a few already, the full list is worth a look. Everything in this collection has been updated to 1.4 except "Fuel Economy" and "Ground Scanner Redesign [1.0-only]", it's worth taking a look through the collection of Uuugggg's RimWorld mods

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

You could move the stove so that the pawn is standing next to the fridge, that way it's the same amount of work to "take to best stockpile" as it is to drop on the floor.

The reason that your pawns are fetching meals from your low priority stockpile in the kitchen is that it's technically closer for them than the fridge, so you can also try to fix that. Pawns are lazy and will grab the highest quality meal that's closest to them. Make it easier to get meals from the fridge. Make it harder to get meals from the kitchen. Here's how I'm setting up in my newest colony:

On the right side we have an arterial hallway, so lots of foot traffic there. There are bedrooms all along that hallway, and the base entrance is actually to the north, so pawns are often going to be closer to the freezer and kitchen rooms than they are to the rec room. We also keep meals in the freezer and the rec room, or sometimes the kitchen floor. If each room in this screenshot was joined to the arterial hallway with a simple door then pawns would just go directly to the freezer or kitchen to fetch food, which is not what we want; we want pawns to always get meals from the rec room. Ignore for a moment that there are fine meals in this screen shot, this setup has been working with all-simple meals for a long time (this is a cold map and we just got hydroponics going after a long all-meat winter).

From top to bottom, that's
1. Butchery. Doesn't have to be fancy, just needs to be next to the freezer.
2. Freezer. Corpses go next to the butchery door. Food goes everywhere else. On the right side, I use a curved hallway entrance to artificially increase the distance it takes to get into the freezer from the main artery of my base. Meals are allowed only on the shelves furthest from the hallway, so that they're more inconvenient to access.
3. Kitchen, with an airlock to the freezer. The shelves in here are only allowed to hold vegetables, because there's often no point in freezing them and that reduces haul time for cooking. This room does not have an entrance to the hallway. With this setup a cook will enter through the rec room if cooking with rice, or the freezer if cooking with meat - again you can see how the pathing distance creates this behavior, it's harder to get to the meat but easy to get to the rice. Pawns never grab meals from here because they'd need to go through the rec room (where closer meals already exist) or the freezer (for which we made access inconvenient).
4. Rec room, simple door to the kitchen with a meal shelf next to the arterial door. We want to minimize the distance to these meals, so that shelf goes next to the door, and the door goes on the side of the room that's closest to bedrooms and workspaces. Pawns don't grab meals from the kitchen or freezer because that's less convenient.

Put together, you can see how this layout has made the rec room meals the easiest to obtain, so that's where pawns consistently go.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Goddammit this is supposed to be my vanilla run with minimum mods and I'm already up to 250.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think I've ever gone beyond 50 mods and even then like 20 I kept disabled (some stuff like rimworld of magic I'd just enable for specific runs)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Owlcasters got a claim on me in the form of at least a dozen mods, and that's without even leaving SA.

I haven't even gotten to the Overpowered mods part of the adding mod cycle yet.

Edit: I may have misattributed some mods.

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 1, 2022

Griz
May 21, 2001

Geomancing posted:

I had a run in 1.3 where one of my initial colonists had the largest, most sprawling family tree I've ever seen. Every single trade caravan and raid had at least one relative in them, and going into lategame the whole game was struggling to keep track of her ungodly fertile family briarbush. I finally had to go in with Character Editor and remove her relationship to her parents so it would stop giving her more and more kin. When I did, the framerate improved by about 10 FPS.

it's doing this now with my starter builder/miner/shooter. I don't recall any relationships on the prepare screen, but her brother was one of my first drop pod crash new recruits, then her "lover" showed up a year later but I had to convert him to allow them to sleep together before marriage. now they're married and their baby's social tab is how I found out the game just stops tracking relationships after a point and just labels them all as "kin"

those two "kin" are the mother's great-grandmother and granduncle who have never actually shown up anywhere besides the social tab. that's also how I found out my faction leader is engaged to some waster gently caress so now he's gonna show up eventually and I'll have to deal with the inevitable month of terrible mood when he gets headshot

also an empire quest has given me possibly the most useless pawn ever - a nonviolent lazy gourmand hussar. the "no work" is because he's a guest but even without that, why would anyone ever want a nonviolent hussar?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't know how people keep track of that many mods and what is doing what.

I tend to try and keep things short, it makes it easier to narrow down when I inevitably lose a few weeks of my life playing the multiplayer mod till it becomes unplayable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as a vanilla only player that seems wild to me. How do you even get 250 mods to not stomp all over each other?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I guess a picture will help to illustrate that the stockpile is not closer than the fridge is

no matter whether the stockpile is one of those shelves, or or the space the chair is on, or directly underneath it, the pawns will choose that over the fridge 100% of the time. which doesn't matter that much because generally a hauler will get there soon enough and fix it, but very annoying still!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
For players with more than 150 mods, most of those mods are more than likely quality of life stuff. It's easy to balloon mod lists when you want to change specific things. Most generally affect a single thing that no other mods touch. So they all work well together because no one mod, besides stuff in the VE suite, is touching everything.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

For players with more than 150 mods, most of those mods are more than likely quality of life stuff. It's easy to balloon mod lists when you want to change specific things. Most generally affect a single thing that no other mods touch. So they all work well together because no one mod, besides stuff in the VE suite, is touching everything.

Yeah, most of them are on offs that touch one thing. It is admitadly fairly bloated and needs a trimming.

Honestly tho, if it wasnt for RimPY I probably wouldnt go to these levels.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah I couldn't imagine rolling without Wall Lights, the most important mod in the game, for example.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Popete posted:

Yeah as a vanilla only player that seems wild to me. How do you even get 250 mods to not stomp all over each other?

You'd be surprised how many mods add like 5 hats and well if you like those 5 might as well get the rest of the mod authors collection.

edit: and with the more complicated mod lists RimPy (mod manager) does a good job with auto - sort and error messages so you can organize things appropriately.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Giddy-Up is like 6 separate mods for some reason, too. Plus you need to get hugslib and jectools or whatever, and if you grab one vanilla expanded mod why not grab 30 more, they're all very specific. And if you grab Vanilla Animals - Tundra, why not grab one of the thousand others specific to each biome?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have played 120+ hours of Rimworld completely vanilla. I'm waiting to actually win a game before I dive into modding but I'm also slightly afraid that once I start I'll fall down a well of needing specific mods to play the game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's wrong with that? It's all handled through workshop and the modders seem to be more industrious than the dev.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I've played 340 hours of Rimworld and have never even gotten close to winning so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I don't know how people keep track of that many mods and what is doing what.

Believe it or not, there's a mod for that.

oops

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 1, 2022