Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, then I hope whoever played against the person in my pool drafting UB benefitted from me stealing the Nightvale Predator to deny it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

precision posted:

Legends predates the birth of Christ and the pyramids

The time between now and Arabian Nights is greater than the time between Arabian Nights and the Pyramids

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does anyone grind the Standard Bo1 events? Is it any harder than grinding Bo1 ladder? I actually really like this security bypass deck and it has ~70% winrate today after reset going from gold whatever to Plat 3. 5 wins gets you a positive exchange on gold->gems so I was maybe looking for an efficient way to try to get gems.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The ranked ladder is basically just playing for fun, winning net 24 games for a single extra pack at the end of the month has got to be the worst return on time investment possible.

I can't speak to how sweaty the events are or aren't though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MikeC posted:

Does anyone grind the Standard Bo1 events? Is it any harder than grinding Bo1 ladder? I actually really like this security bypass deck and it has ~70% winrate today after reset going from gold whatever to Plat 3. 5 wins gets you a positive exchange on gold->gems so I was maybe looking for an efficient way to try to get gems.

Don't grind. A few wins a day plus your dailies give you all the gold you need. Right now I'm sitting on 55K gold and a mountain of wildcards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i typically only spend money on Arena like, maybe ten bucks once per set or month, and i have literally 20 good decks. and i buy stupid cosmetics pretty often too lmao

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I am never buying any cosmetics cuz original card back supremacy, the alternate card arts make it more difficult to parse what is going on on the game board (especially on mobile) and i am never changing my big silver fridge karn av tyvm

I have like 220k gold and 20k gems lmao

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Back when events were 750 gold, it was somewhat easier than ladder.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

fridge corn posted:

I am never buying any cosmetics cuz original card back supremacy, the alternate card arts make it more difficult to parse what is going on on the game board (especially on mobile) and i am never changing my big silver fridge karn av tyvm

I have like 220k gold and 20k gems lmao

I thought the same until they did Johnny combo. I live and die for Johnny combo.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Feels good to bully gold opponents with the rank reset

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm abandoning the domain deck, I know people had easy times climbing the ranks with it but i lose with it constantly and I realize i don't like the play pattern anyway

maybe i'll just sit standard out until after the new set

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Tried a VOW QD. I actually did one before and just...forgot, I assumed it was MID instead, haha. So this isn't technically my first, did feel like it though! I read up on the format a little and used rankings, but that can only do so much of course.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1dc0379e7959473990ea4adacf28a50c

Ended up with this:

I had been warned that the commons are Not Good and boy did I feel it. Other colors (green, blue) than black to pair with my obvious main W did feel open from the quantity of cards, but I never saw a reason to pivot because the card quality was so low. Like, are Crushing Canopy, Dawnhart Disciple and Mulch (P1P12) there to tell me "hey green is open" or just "there were only dogshit green cards in these packs in the first place"?

P2P1 was Hallowed Haunting which I did hear was a possible buildaround, so I thought "let's try it", then I didn't get even close to enough enchantments - I think it's possible that I misunderstood and it's only a P1P1 buildaround AND you need to force UW to get the count of Enchantments + Spirits high enough. I don't even think it influenced too many "synergy" picks that ended up being complete duds because I took it out, but maybe.

What I ended up building from the rather headscratchingly shallow pool of actually playable cards I got is an aggro-ish deck with a minor lifegain theme that can hopefully get some growing Trainees out fast, generate value with Rutstein + the Purifiers, then win with a final push in the air or by making something unblockable, preferably the big huge human. Dunno if that's sensible, or if I should focus more on getting a minor blood theme going, discarding for the flip witch, and digging for my best cards. Thoughts on the build? I'd also be happy about hints where I might have drafted wrong, I like QDs, they're chill to me, so I might do another afterwards.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is a really good Standard deck full of strong cards that are fun to play and isn’t a three color greed pile. Combats Esper well because all of your cards are two or more cards.

I've been playing a mono-white version of this for a while and was quite impressed by someone playing the WR version. The lack of good white/red lands really puts me off but I'm probably being silly and should accept Fable is worth the taplands though.

Once Brothers is out and we get the painlands, I think it's going to be a deck to beat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My most successful decks right now are both based on getting 3 or 4 planeswalkers down and watching my opponent scoop. Esper and orzhov

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Death of Rats posted:

I've been playing a mono-white version of this for a while and was quite impressed by someone playing the WR version. The lack of good white/red lands really puts me off but I'm probably being silly and should accept Fable is worth the taplands though.

Once Brothers is out and we get the painlands, I think it's going to be a deck to beat.

I had avoided the Invoke Justice archetype before to go rogue because i was facing a lot of graveyard hate but i have to admit the t3 fable t4 9/9 double shield warden is too good to pass up

edit: of course i immediately queue into dennick pious apprentice, gently caress off lol

2-5 just trying to do my loving dailies

edit 2: well complaining on the internet saved me, 3-4 which i guess sounds more reasonable

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2022

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

back to explorer gandalf for the next couple weeks but im excited af for this new set. seems like this standard run was really short but overall i enjoyed it

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Hey all, need some cuts and critiques. I had previously accidentally purchased a traditional draft and decided to give it a whirl tonight. I was torn between making a Balmor Deck and a Domain deck but never decided on one and feel like I built a poor hybrid version.

Draft
https://www.17lands.com/draft/154ab029eb344bf88dd2f861af8ae427

Pool
https://www.17lands.com/pool/154ab029eb344bf88dd2f861af8ae427

Deck
https://www.17lands.com/deck/154ab029eb344bf88dd2f861af8ae427

1/1: other option is Tori maybe? what good targets for golden argosy should I look out for besides outrider and any etb token makers. picked up an aether channeler, so maybe that'll be good if I can protect it. Can Radha crew and plus the argosy?

1/6 Whats the consensus on threats undetected?

1/8 not sure if impede momentum over codex. Need instants for terror and djinn

2/4 maybe vineshaper prodigy over baloth since I already have a couple fatties.

2/5 took land over essence scatter and deathbloom. Phasing of Zhafir seems strong but has low ratings.

2/7 Is The World Spell too slow in general?
2/8 I coulda Impulse'd for academy walls and terrors
2/10 Forgot the painlands don't count as basics, shoulda taken bog
2/11 Misclick. Not sure if I woulda played the slimefoot survey anyway though
3/4 Didn't even think about splashing a couple black for Bortuk Bonerattle or if it is powerful enough to justify
3/7 No clue why I took monstrosity over sojourner
3/10 Not sure what I should've taken

I'm guessing Phoenix chick and monstrosity go. Not sure on my other red spells. I like the idea of hero's heirloom with balmor, nael, and radha. Doubt I'll be attacking with Tatyova unless the coast is super clear.

How much practice drafts do you guys do either on something like Draftsim or alt accounts?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

odinson posted:

Hey all, need some cuts and critiques. I had previously accidentally purchased a traditional draft and decided to give it a whirl tonight. I was torn between making a Balmor Deck and a Domain deck but never decided on one and feel like I built a poor hybrid version.
I'm not that great at drafting but I would cut all artifacts and the djinns and the wall. 7 spells with none of them being cantrips isn't ideal, but it's still the best you can do when you have 3 spells matter payoffs. Also you can try to live the dream of like ghitu -> pump -> turn3 monstrosity I guess.

I'd also like to again thank whoever mentioned doing trad drafts lol, the combination of not rare drafting and the weaker competition means my record so far is 3-0, 1-2, and 3-0. The 1-2 also had at least one game I threw with a terrible misplay (I had lethal but overpaid on a kicker lol) so it really does seem to be much better value than premier.

Algid fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 2, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

odinson posted:

Hey all, need some cuts and critiques.
Disclaimer: I'm not the greatest drafter, but I love thinking about it.

P1P1: Argosy is actually quite bad. Best it can do it, like, help Argivian Cavalier make another token, or draw another card with Phyrexian Rager. Its ideal inclusion would be in the Defender deck, where you can crew it with Wingmantle Chaplain + Shield-Wall Sentinel (yes, you can overcrew with a 0 power creature) and search for more walls + make a bunch of birds every turn. However, the Defender deck really doesn't need this to win. This is simply not the format for Argosy.

I'd have taken Battle-Hymn, it's very relevant removal for a lot of threats (e.g. the 4/4 with reach, the Phalanx [4/4 vigilance], lots of legends you want gone immediately) and the kicker is not necessary for it to be good, so it can go into a deck that doesn't have white at all, and red only as a splash. Basically, it keep you open and is always useful. Another argument would be for Tribute to Urborg, which is a big overperformer, also bolstered by the strength of Blue.
RW aggro is a strong deck, if you had more experience with the format and it, you could take Tori to force it, but she's not actually THAT good imo.

P1P2: Nael is fine, but pigeonholes you into a Domain build, which you might not want to commit to this early. It's okay to take her now, just to have her, and basically stay open for other lanes, then don't play her if you instead get e.g. a nice RW aggro deck. My pick would be Destroy Evil here, which is extremely strong in the format, again splashable, which gives it the edge over Extinguish, which you can't splash.

P1P3: Terror is one of the all-star commons in the format, it's a great pick to see third, definitely something to watch out for being open now.

P1P4: Considering you just got a Terror, I'd probably take Scatter here, as that pairs super well with it. Bite Down is defensible, tho.

P1P5: Balmor is a great pick here. With it and Terror having been open, I'd definitely consider going heavy into UR spells, and ignoring Nael. My path would have given you an excellent red spell already, and you can now consider splashing Destroy Evil (again, my pick) while also keeping the Kicker on Battle-Hymn available. These kinds of thoughts are what you need to have in DMU, and now you are going to value RW or UW dual lands higher!

P1P6: as other have said, Djinn looks good but just isn't (too expensive, too clunky, not big enough on its own, not splashable...). For UR spells, consider the Academy Wall. For Domain, this is a perfect pack to just snatch up a land, you need a lot of those and they are in high demand.

P1P7: This is where I notice that UR spells is drying up a little. Negate is not actually bad, however I'd take the land; if the UR spells plan does not ultimately work out, it gives me the highest flexibility down the line.

P1P8: Twinferno is a cute "oh I just win right now" card especially with Balmor, of course. I'd take that here. For a Domain deck, the Codex is fine.

P1P9: Land here, Scout is actually quite bad. Domain really only loses if it gets overwhelmed before it gets to the "I'll just play huge stupid poo poo in any color I want to and kick everything" phase, so you really don't want to tap out on Turn 3 for a land, or - worse - sorcery speed tap out on turn 5.

P1P10: Still slim-ish pickings for the spells deck. I'd take Bellow, which isn't great, but IS a spell.

P1P11: sure

P1P12: Librarian is pretty good in this format - it smooths draws that, were they unsmoothed, might lead you to losing (see above: re the one weakness Domain has). It also blocks really well, lots of things hate attacking into 3 disposable power in DMU.

I quickly looked through P2, and UR spells is getting HOSED here, nothing really jumps out as "hell yeah". Of course, that might also be due to other people down the line picking that up, so impossible to say how the draft would have gone for me and my choices. However, something I did note:
- Prayer of Binding
- Keldon Strike Team
- Argivian Cavalier
- Phalanx x2
- Steelcrusher/RW land
- Heroic Charge

RW might have been open to force.

Now, comments on your actual choices as your deck is locked into UG Domain starting P3:
P1: second Nael is not the best. I'd consider splashing Lightning Strike. Or take a land
P2: Tatty is a gift
P3: imo Channeler is very mediocre. Just take another Strike!
P4: Bortuk is insane and exactly what Domain wants to do. Shore Up is good, but not nearly as strong
P5: you're not really the blue spells deck anymore, so Terror is less attractive. Probably still the best card here, though.
P7: Sojourner is the way better Affinity creature for you
P8: You're pivoting into UR way too late. Take Domain payoffs now, or stuff in your main colors (which are still UG). Illusionist is not the best, but could do wonders in your at this point kinda weak deck

In the end, I think your mistake was not knowing your archetypes well enough, and not sticking to one - it's key in DMU to first keep your options open and take cards that are good in more than one kind of deck (one of Terror's big advantages is that it's good in ANY blue deck except maybe for Gu Domain), then when you see a lane open, you slam that and commit to it. UR was having a tough time of it in P2, but P3 actually gave it two Lightning Strikes, multiple Shore Ups, Timely Interference, second Terror, all you want. If you had stuck to it, it might have rewarded you in a huge way.

As for build advice, Chick is indeed horrible in this. Remove the Adarkar Wastes - it's not a Plains! It does nothing for you! The other red cards are fine - you don't have too much to replace them. I'd also remove at least one of the Djinns. Negate is maindeckable, you can also play Meteorite, it's not great at all but sometimes just what you need.

Concrete questions I hadn't adressed above:

1/6 Whats the consensus on threats undetected?
-> don't know about consensus (always tough with rares), I'd say it's a bit better than it seems at first glance, but I wouldn't have considered it at that point. It's a fine "get two cards into your hands" card, the P/T clause rarely matters in my experience. I played it in one Domain deck and was not disappointed.

1/8 not sure if impede momentum over codex. Need instants for terror and djinn
-> Impede sucks, never take it. The format is too slow for it to matter much, it doesn't really help the gameplan most blue decks have, and Geyser is a MUCH better tempo card

2/4 maybe vineshaper prodigy over baloth since I already have a couple fatties.
-> yes

2/5 took land over essence scatter and deathbloom. Phasing of Zhafir seems strong but has low ratings.
-> Phasing is unbelievably bad

2/7 Is The World Spell too slow in general?
-> yes, unless you have a deck that can REALLY clog up the early game

2/8 I coulda Impulse'd for academy walls and terrors
-> Impulse is strong!

3/4 Didn't even think about splashing a couple black for Bortuk Bonerattle or if it is powerful enough to justify
-> absolutely, this is also why Domain decks just pick up any land whatsoever, just so they can play whatever strong-rear end card comes in P3

3/10 Not sure what I should've taken
-> you got a shore up already to protect your beaters (and no Micromancer), so take Impulse

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

odinson posted:

1/1: other option is Tori maybe? what good targets for golden argosy should I look out for besides outrider and any etb token makers. picked up an aether channeler, so maybe that'll be good if I can protect it. Can Radha crew and plus the argosy?

My path through this one would've started with the hurloon battle hymn pack 1. Playable in basically any deck that touches red.
pick 2 Nael is taking your payoff for the deck you have no idea is open, so you're putting yourself in a corner very quickly, the pack is flat outside of War Leech and Extinguish the light, so if you're passing that much good black you should probably stay out of it, or move into it. Destroy Evil is slightly above replacement and should have a target fairly often.
pick 3 terror is absolutely correct
pick 4 should've been essence scatter to follow up on terror and put you solidly in blue
pick 7 beachfront over gaeas might. Blue's the main color with options of switching to any second main color. (this pick would later pay off to let you pick the prayer of binding p2p1)

other card evaluations: Djinn of the Fountain sucks. Costs too much for too small a body with no protection. Threat's undetected going around doesn't imply green is open, no good green cards in pack 5 and 6 should've sent you running. Vineshaper prodigy is a card you should avoid playing and picking. Argosy wants you to have etbs or etb triggers, the Wall deck is absolutely ridiculous with one. Other good cards for it are Frostfist Strider, Meria's Outrider, Micromancer.

Draft strategies: pick lands on your color that let you splash powerful rares/uncommons/kickers over middling cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

odinson posted:

Draft

Pool
https://www.17lands.com/pool/154ab029eb344bf88dd2f861af8ae427

Deck
https://www.17lands.com/deck/154ab029eb344bf88dd2f861af8ae427

1/1: other option is Tori maybe?

Battle Hymn or Tribute to Urborg should have been the pick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pick 2 should have been Destroy Evil or Extinguishe the Light

Removal is very good in DMU limited

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odinson posted:

Draft

How much practice drafts do you guys do either on something like Draftsim or alt accounts?

I took Tribute to Urborg p1 and was deeply entrenched in UB by the end of the pack 1.

I don't bother with practice drafts but I listen to a lot of podcasts about drafting, and watch a few streamers on twitch.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Lamo why is Mass Production 5W uncommon when Captain's Call wasn't amazing at 3W common? Is the artefact subtype that much more useful this set?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Lamo why is Mass Production 5W uncommon when Captain's Call wasn't amazing at 3W common? Is the artefact subtype that much more useful this set?

4 creatures, artifacts and soldiers are both relevant creature types, and there are at least a few cards that care when artifacts or creatures enter play to do something like +1/+1 counters or give flying to your creatures per creature that came into play. I don't think it's something that most decks will want, but if you manage to grab a few of the (uncommon) payoffs for it I could see playing 1 of these

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

You're gonna be real mad when you compare Captain's Call to Raise the Alarm

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I had never heard of "Lil Giri", but 5 pretty cute sleeves for 1500g is hard to argue against. 1 day only!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I already have the best sleeve, the Serum Visions one

I also have the Slivers sleeve that looks like a metal album cover. For when they put a ton of new slivers into the game in Return to Ikoria: Whispers of the Hive (Q4 2024)

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 2, 2022

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Found my happy place for MWM alchemy singleton! Jund ramp/reanimation is pretty good and lets me do stuff with the more expensive cards in the Xander's Wake spellbook. I'm 13 and 5 with it and it's a ton of fun even if the mana can be dodgy. Any missing Alchemy rares/mythics are because I don't have them and am wildcard-poor. But I'd love to hear about any staple commons/uncommons I've overlooked.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/vo_MLLx2d0qcuSg_7Nh2lA

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
decided to do one last dom u premier draft, since i'd gotten 10k gold and hadn't drafted in a while. got a 7-1, which is I think my best trophy this set?

was mono-W until I got allenal and ojanen late in pack 2. my speculation into three shield-wall sentinels didn't work out, but sometimes you just don't get to vomit birds

highlights: take up the shield on salvaged manaworker twice to completely bust opponent opening tempo, living the dream and destroying evil on an opposing arrest to eat their attack. got to live the call -> call -> heroic charge to win my 7th game after the calls just not showing up the entire rest of the session

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is Bauble still the only Retro Artifact card NOT coming to Historic/Brawl?

https://scryfall.com/sets/brr?as=grid&order=set

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Huxley posted:

Is Bauble still the only Retro Artifact card NOT coming to Historic/Brawl?

https://scryfall.com/sets/brr?as=grid&order=set

yeah, they confirmed it was the only one coming in pre-banned to historic (but still gladiator legal, baby!!). we'll see if that sticks, but it's nice to see those cards getting added -- my emry hbrawl deck is going to need to get revamped entirely

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

palamedes posted:

Found my happy place for MWM alchemy singleton! Jund ramp/reanimation is pretty good and lets me do stuff with the more expensive cards in the Xander's Wake spellbook. I'm 13 and 5 with it and it's a ton of fun even if the mana can be dodgy. Any missing Alchemy rares/mythics are because I don't have them and am wildcard-poor. But I'd love to hear about any staple commons/uncommons I've overlooked.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/vo_MLLx2d0qcuSg_7Nh2lA

Thanks for this, this deck got 3 wins in rapid succession with only a couple mythic WCs used - and all on cards that were worth crafting anyway.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lone Goat posted:

I took Tribute to Urborg p1 and was deeply entrenched in UB by the end of the pack 1.

I don't bother with practice drafts but I listen to a lot of podcasts about drafting, and watch a few streamers on twitch.

That can't be right can it? It just requires so much for it to be a justifiable first pick over Hurloon. Hurloon is playable as a splash and has plenty of targets while Tribute requires you to have access to blue reliably to kick it AND have enough 2 spells paying 1 more mana before it will kill the same thing Hurloon does. If you don't end up there, it isn't great as a splash card either when you can't kick it for full value and you are left with a mediocre combat trick.

Argosi isn't great and I probably wouldn't first pick it either but can be a build-around with come-into-play effects at common like Cavalier, Rager, and Outrider and a few uncommon effects as well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MikeC posted:

That can't be right can it? It just requires so much for it to be a justifiable first pick over Hurloon. Hurloon is playable as a splash and has plenty of targets while Tribute requires you to have access to blue reliably to kick it AND have enough 2 spells paying 1 more mana before it will kill the same thing Hurloon does. If you don't end up there, it isn't great as a splash card either when you can't kick it for full value and you are left with a mediocre combat trick.

Argosi isn't great and I probably wouldn't first pick it either but can be a build-around with come-into-play effects at common like Cavalier, Rager, and Outrider and a few uncommon effects as well.

Oh I think when I looked at the post it was like 3am the day before and I was going by memory AND didn't notice the Hurloon lol. Looking back, I guess it goes Hurloon, Extinguish, Terror, Scatter, Balmor, and then p1p6 is between Academy Wall/Shadow Prophecy?, then 3 land

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm ready for Bro War, is this enough F2P gold? Also how does my vault progress look :five:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zero VGS posted:

I think I'm ready for Bro War, is this enough F2P gold? Also how does my vault progress look :five:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Must be fuckin nice

:negative:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah yeah still got more rare WC let’s be honest that’s the only currency that matters (as long as you don’t crack your vaults)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the most Rare WCs i've ever had at once was like, maybe 10? i am constantly making new stupid decks lmao