Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna need a heckuva lot of alot Legal research on this one

E: worst snype for baddest poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It sounds like this is a service that only has to be accessed once a year or so and probably slipped under the radar when you were departing as such. While I completely support saying "gently caress you" to former employers, it sounds like they've tried to work with you as much as possible before they had to escalate it to a VP who threw a subtle threat of legal action (justified or not) your way because that's the only thing that they could think to do.

If you decide to go full "gently caress you" and refuse to work with them, they're going to do what they need to do to get access to their service. My recommendation is to just text the dude the 2fa code when it comes through so you don't have to deal with any further headache.

Also there is a legal questions thread in ask/tell that would be a better place to ask and I'd give you this exact answer there. Note, I am no longer a lawyer and am giving my recommendation as a person navigating life. Is it really worth potentially spending money to fight this battle?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Being a dick about it will cost you lots of money and time when they come after you. Then you’ll wind up having to fix the 2FA issue anyway.

Getting a lawyer preemptively to figure out how to try to gently caress them will cost you lots of money and time. Then you’ll wind up having to fix the 2FA issue anyway.

You almost certainly have free text messaging. Spend the 10 minutes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Although only marginally relevant, I helped with a situation where a service provider refused to give up admin credentials to critical computing equipment at a client site. The equipment was essentially bricked without those credentials. The client ended up filing a TRO, rolling into that a preliminary injunction, and then sought damages. In addition to the breach of contract claim, I think we argued conversion and/or trespass to chattels.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah bear in mind the company's thought process is going to be "well we have these expensive lawyers who we'd rather not pay, but we tried that and it didn't work, and we'd rather pay the lawyers than lose our system for good"

when you're writing checks to your lawyers to deal with this situation of the company suing you to get their systems back, bear in mind what is going to happen is the judge is going to read all this, realize you are a complete loving rear end wasting his time, insist that you be present at court for a hearing (with the company's VP) and just tell you to do it then and there because that makes this big headache of his go away

he will probably call you a moron on the record, but at least those records aren't commonly publicly available

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

yeah bear in mind the company's thought process is going to be "well we have these expensive lawyers who we'd rather not pay, but we tried that and it didn't work, and we'd rather pay the lawyers than lose our system for good"

when you're writing checks to your lawyers to deal with this situation of the company suing you to get their systems back, bear in mind what is going to happen is the judge is going to read all this, realize you are a complete loving rear end wasting his time, insist that you be present at court for a hearing (with the company's VP) and just tell you to do it then and there because that makes this big headache of his go away

he will probably call you a moron on the record, but at least those records aren't commonly publicly available

In other words, your former company doesn't need to be "right" in order to "win," when "losing" for you is retaining a lawyer for hundreds or thousands of dollars and hours/days of your life and stress when a few phone calls and an hour of your time will solve their problem. And I don't know (and it doesn't really matter) whose "fault" this is.

Whatever happens, keep records of your communications with the former company.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 18, 2022

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

my billable rate is $1000 an hour. how many hours at $1000 an hour do you think it will take me to "solve" this for good, and how much would you need to work to replace that money compared to just spending the half hour fixing it yourself.
Someone's not a partner at a top law firm.

(seriously I want to vomit when I look at my billing rate)

e: also to the OP you are a moron help them fix 2FA.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 18, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gvibes posted:

(seriously I want to vomit when I look at my billing rate)

Sometimes I think about what rate I'd be billing if I were working for profit. I don't think about it long because it makes me want to turn Republican.

I used to do ten or fifteen bond settings in an afternoon. Private attorneys would show up and do one and bill $2500 for it.

About a year ago our office got a COVID funding allocation to deal with the case backlog. At the time I had roughly five hundred pending cases -- all magistrate cases but still, 1st offense dui's and misdemeanor DV's were in that mix, it was a lot.
They reassigned me to a different caseload and used the backlog funding to hire five separate private attorneys, give them each a fifth of my caseload, and pay each of them something like $500 - $1000 per case.

Meanwhile the county caps our salaries at 75k/year maximum -- which is better than the average lawyer salary in our state, but still
This is why it's hard to hire public defenders!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Glad to see the PD system is just as hosed ip as it ever was

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Love all the advice to just text Authenticator codes to the random "new VP" already. This is a social engineering attack, even if it's being perpetrated by authorized employees of the account owner. The employer should absolutely not being putting some dude who has been out of the picture for a year in the position of validating whether it's legit. Further, since "everybody knows" OP is the problem here, he is cover for the next guy if it turns out that he's malicious (or just super dumb and breaks everything but talks a good game). Then he gets to inconvenience himself AND pay for a lawyer.

Also, having been through this on the other side after dear leader axed all the people from a recent acquisition, there are very few services the employer can't get switched over with proof of ownership and some patience. I absolutely do not understand why they seem to feel here that it's more convenient to threaten this dude than call customer service and follow the voice prompts. Given that OP is a goon I assume it's something "hard" like DNS or hosting, but for gently caress's sake.

Anyway, OP should help if he feels like it, but he should absolutely not text 2FA codes to some guy he's never met. Email to company address or go to the office and do it live.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 18, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Bright side is I get a lot of pot charges thrown out which is a great feeling each time

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Love all the advice to just text Authenticator codes to the random "new VP" already. This is a social engineering attack, even if it's being perpetrated by authorized employees of the account owner. The employer should absolutely not being putting some dude who has been out of the picture for a year in the position of validating whether it's legit. Further, since "everybody knows" OP is the problem here, he is cover for the next guy if it turns out that he's malicious (or just super dumb and breaks everything but talks a good game). Then he gets to inconvenience himself AND pay for a lawyer.

Also, having been through this on the other side after dear leader axed all the people from a recent acquisition, there are very few services the employer can't get switched over with proof of ownership and some patience. I absolutely do not understand why they seem to feel here that it's more convenient to threaten this dude than call customer service and follow the voice prompts. Given that OP is a goon I assume it's something "hard" like DNS or hosting, but for gently caress's sake.

Anyway, OP should help if he feels like it, but he should absolutely not text 2FA codes to some guy he's never met. Email to company address or go to the office and do it live.

Did you ever end up getting a lawyer job?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you ever end up getting a lawyer job?

My friend, I didn't even look for a lawyer job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pinky Artichoke posted:

the description of what happened has virtually no reason to suspect "social engineering attack" and entirely "the poster has just refused all efforts to deal with the problem because :effort: despite spending more effort to not deal with the problem, now with the plan of also spending money"

he can do whatever he wants to verify who he is talking to but it obviously didn't start out with the "text me the code" thing, that's just the latest thing the latest guy has tried as the absolute lowest-effort thing that they can find

basically, this is a dumb problem he has created himself and what he will do by hiring a lawyer is to make it more expensive for himself, to no additional good

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Another thread success!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sometimes I think about what rate I'd be billing if I were working for profit. I don't think about it long because it makes me want to turn Republican.

I used to do ten or fifteen bond settings in an afternoon. Private attorneys would show up and do one and bill $2500 for it.

About a year ago our office got a COVID funding allocation to deal with the case backlog. At the time I had roughly five hundred pending cases -- all magistrate cases but still, 1st offense dui's and misdemeanor DV's were in that mix, it was a lot.
They reassigned me to a different caseload and used the backlog funding to hire five separate private attorneys, give them each a fifth of my caseload, and pay each of them something like $500 - $1000 per case.

Meanwhile the county caps our salaries at 75k/year maximum -- which is better than the average lawyer salary in our state, but still
This is why it's hard to hire public defenders!

Again, please more to California. Sacramento Public Defender is drat near $200k max (non-supervisor), other pay more, others pay less.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

King

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Queen, I believe

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nm posted:

Again, please more to California. Sacramento Public Defender is drat near $200k max (non-supervisor), other pay more, others pay less.

King

I don't want to retake the bar after fifteen years practicing. I'd fail the secured transactions section or some poo poo.

The salary is decent actually given my state's cost of living. It's getting that salary while doing the work of five experienced professional attorneys, literally, that grates.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My hero.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pinky Artichoke posted:

New IK? Most sensible poster in the thread here.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

we did it folks, we saved one

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Round of applause for us, everyone.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I don't want to retake the bar after fifteen years practicing. I'd fail the secured transactions section or some poo poo.

The salary is decent actually given my state's cost of living. It's getting that salary while doing the work of five experienced professional attorneys, literally, that grates.

PDs wouldn't hire me back after I took a year off to take care of my son, so I took a civil litigation government job which is way more chill and pays more. I thought I would be lost in the weeds with the subject matter, but it makes way more intuitive sense now than it did in law school (also helps that I'm not getting loaded every night like I did back then).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

drunk mutt posted:

Have a question that this seems like might be the right place to ask? If not, and there is a better place, please direct me or just tell me to gently caress off.

A former company of mine failed to take care of replacing my phone number as a 2FA requirement for an account that they use and have been harassing me for the last week to "just help them out". I haven't had time to take care of it during my normal work hours, and have just not placed it as a priority in my life to help them after hours.

Today, I received a voicemail from one of their new VPs which stated:
" I'm asking that you step up just a little bit here and coordinate with me so that when I try to gain access, you can text me the code. I will remind you that your exit agreement said you were going to turn over all IP, and this is apart of that"

I've been at a different company for over a year at this point, and do not feel that I need to "step up" for them. But want to just make sure that I'm not treading any muddy waters by just ignoring them.

I have reached out for some legal help to ensure I am represented in the event they push further, but wanted to see if there might be advice or information to gain prior to retaining representation.

This is the human condition.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Also this

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Will give an update.

First, I do appreciate y'all for your insights even though this might have been the wrong spot?

There was never me pulling a "gently caress you" moment, and yeah, I did not feel right just providing 2FA codes to some random person even if he is the VP of the company. So I was hesitant at first to even work with them, because surely someone at the VP level would know they could just file a support request to regain access over the account.

After their CEO reached out and asked me to help them, I did send a message to the VP stating a window that I had availability with no response.

Which lead to yesterday; I received an email from an ex-coworker that asked me about it and I asked them if they even attempted to reach out to support.

Turns out, they had not. I got a text this morning with the VP asking me about my personal account, which is the one they've apparently been trying to gain access into. Then shortly after a message indicating that they've figured it out from another ex-coworker.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

So I was hesitant at first to even work with them, because surely someone at the VP level would know they could just file a support request to regain access over the account

thats one is on you man

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bright side is I get a lot of pot charges thrown out which is a great feeling each time

Wild that I get to post it unironically, but thank you for your service. o7

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
absolutely do not text 2FA codes to anyone ever wtf.

you might be in an annoying situation of your own making, but do. not. do. that. ever.

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022
is it normal to be assigned a 2L as your neutral mediator in ADR

thats weird right

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

absolutely do not text 2FA codes to anyone ever wtf.

you might be in an annoying situation of your own making, but do. not. do. that. ever.

This thread is a preview why working law IT really really sucks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

animedatingsim posted:

thats weird right

Depends, are you mediating a dispute between college roommates?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

animedatingsim posted:

thats weird right

Probably as effective as most mediators

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

animedatingsim posted:

thats weird right

I did ADR 2L with some classmates and the double edged sword is that they care a lot more than a normal mediator about resolving

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022
drat, I should've kept with the mediation then. It was a higher level employment case with a federal employee. We backed out for other reasons. I'd think a 2L would get pushed around easily but its probably a 2L big law gunner

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Nm or other California guys, what is jury selection / voir dire like here? The last time I was called for jury duty was years ago when I lived in New York, and I was struck, I assume for being a lawyer. I normally wouldn’t actively try to dodge jury duty but I just had a baby. But I feel like a judge will think it’s a lame excuse that I want to be at home with my three month old son. Both his mom and I are on parental leave so it’s not really like he wouldn’t have another caretaker. I was originally called for a time right around his due date and got an extension of a few months. Is it likely I’ll get struck here too? I work for a nonprofit doing immigration defense and have co counseled cases with some PD’s offices if that is helpful info.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

The Dagda posted:

Nm or other California guys, what is jury selection / voir dire like here? The last time I was called for jury duty was years ago when I lived in New York, and I was struck, I assume for being a lawyer. I normally wouldn’t actively try to dodge jury duty but I just had a baby. But I feel like a judge will think it’s a lame excuse that I want to be at home with my three month old son. Both his mom and I are on parental leave so it’s not really like he wouldn’t have another caretaker. I was originally called for a time right around his due date and got an extension of a few months. Is it likely I’ll get struck here too? I work for a nonprofit doing immigration defense and have co counseled cases with some PD’s offices if that is helpful info.

I don't think a judge would have a problem with that excuse. There's also a good chance you don't even have to go in. At least in my county (Alameda) have you call in the night before and most times they tell you not to bother showing up.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Toona took the job I think, he took the job. I’m taking bets. O/U 5 months, -110

5 months and 5 days. Like a last minute pick six back door cover.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toona the Cat posted:

I took the job and if I don’t last six months, I will hand write letters on my letterhead to everyone who took the under, personally telling them they were right. :toxx:

Whitlam, could you please post your handwritten letter when you get it?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Clearly a scrivener's error. He was trying to say "sex months." This is axiomatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Whitlam, could you please post your handwritten letter when you get it?

lol there it is