Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AstroKatie/status/1587486886150512640?s=20&t=BtHdw_nnKwNNtHl_liJlYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Are you sure that that's not another Senior Engineer Ligma situation

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Main Paineframe posted:

ninety percent of the posts on SA are just twitter embeds or reposts from twitter. no one is going to flee from Twitter to here

I didn’t think so either but theres a thread with twitter refugees coming back here.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Zugzwang posted:

What’s a sane timeline for a new feature like this?

It could be done in a day but the way actual corporate software engineering works a month might be acceptable. Once we had a setback where like two weeks of work was totally hosed and I told my boss since it wasn’t going to hurt anything if there was a bug that I could write it in a day but wouldn’t be to work on friday or monday so i could have 4 days to recover. it would be up to the team to deal with it from there. Everyone seemed to think that was cool. I worked until like 2am and did it.

When I came back tuesday a bunch of pedantic fucks were arguing about poo poo that didnt matter and eventually we deployed like a month later.

Edit: By the time the new features were taking customer traffic whole microservices were dropped and deprecated including my all night coding session. The code ended up getting used in a bunch of unrelated projects that I had nothing to do with.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 1, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

External Organs posted:

Are you sure that that's not another Senior Engineer Ligma situation

Sarah Personette, CCO
https://web.archive.org/web/20221024145651/https://about.twitter.com/en/who-we-are/our-company

(that page has been removed from twitter's live website already lol)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Would the world be better off if Lowtax had 200 billion dollars to do with what he wished instead of Elon?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Doubtful.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Ror posted:

Would the world be better off if Lowtax had 200 billion dollars to do with what he wished instead of Elon?

It would have been great for sales of Mangosteen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AerinCloud/status/1587450505000730625?s=20&t=BtHdw_nnKwNNtHl_liJlYQ

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If Elon wants to be Lowtax he could purchase Gamespy and personally run Planet Quake.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ror posted:

I dont think a single man can consume 200 billion dollars worth of goldbelly cookies and mangosteen juice

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont think a single man can consume 200 billion dollars worth of goldbelly cookies and mangosteen juice

Not through the mouth anyhow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

You can, however, buy a lot of Nissan GT-Rs

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

CommieGIR posted:

Reminder that genius engineer thought moving all of Paypal's services from Windows Servers to Linux Servers would be easy.

He got fired for pushing it because it, shockingly, was not easy.

Again, he wanted to migrate from linux servers to windows servers. In like 2000.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't know why that one keeps getting remembered the wrong way, because the reality is actually funnier for once

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Xakura posted:

Again, he wanted to migrate from linux servers to windows servers. In like 2000.

Thanks for the correction, and it is indeed funnier that way.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587498907336118274?s=20&t=Ks961-cOsxs3uBvoE3LbbQ
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587500060853424129?s=20&t=XnVjRAVI45ia5ysbhLY9DQ

Now theres an idea!

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

I'm curious if the $8 dollars for half as many ads will actually cause Twitter to loose money on each verified user.

Who am I kidding, I'm sure this has gone through the long and through vetting process Musk is known for.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
If Elon knew about SA, he'd probably buy it from Joffrey for a billion.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

koshmar posted:

I'm curious if the $8 dollars for half as many ads will actually cause Twitter to loose money on each verified user.

Who am I kidding, I'm sure this has gone through the long and through vetting process Musk is known for.

Just double the base ad rate, bing bong, so simple

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Twice as targeted using your billing info.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Someone get Stephen King to say "gently caress you" again so he drops it to 3 dollars.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This sounds even less likely to be completed in a week

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Half as many ads piled high

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

DaveWoo posted:

Just double the base ad rate, bing bong, so simple

Wait, Elon?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If Elon really wants money from me, he'll start charging to link twitter accounts to stuff, the only actual reason it's useful for me is that it's by far the easiest way to offload video game captures from consoles to use elsewhere.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t get why he thinks this will do anything for spam

The vast majority of users are unverified this does nothing outside the very top end

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there an urgent need to post "long" audio and video on twitter?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

goatface posted:

Is there an urgent need to post "long" audio and video on twitter?

It will be necessary after he disables Youtube embeds.

Edit: I do really enjoy that each new stupid idea creates more problems that he's going to continue to correct for and so on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cool, now I'll get priority spam!

This is loving moronic.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1587517403696713729

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
lol

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

also even if he was, just lol @ 'my fail-proof system is that I bottleneck everything by hand-checking every line of code' sounds real efficient, and I'm sure you're checking it very thoroughly, good job bossman, no wonder Teslas are so 'well-designed'

everyone loves a car that you can easily burn to death in while trying to figure out the complex inner door mechanism, or that can't even be towed from a garage basement bc it can't properly connect to the internet to go into 'tow mode' lol
whenever elon talks about code he radiates crippling dosages of opinionated-junior-developer energy, I'd love to see one of his code reviews. Guaranteed it would be 99% low-hanging bike-shedding and nothing of substance.

also what is this https://eloncodereview.com

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I bet his genius idea was to leak the $20 a month price and the "spontaneously" drop it to $8 and thinks this will get people excited.

Elon spent $44 billion to make sure he was Twitter's main character every day.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
This just means that half the advertisers already pulled out.

Very convenient that we'll be coincidentally blessed with seeing half the ads thanks to the glorious Mr Musk.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1587511165168525312

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

It should cost $10 to search. Bing bong so simple

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
Brilliant! Nothing can go wrong!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
i wonder how much they actually earn from the average account in ad impressions and user data? it's gotta be a lot less than $8 per user per month, or their advertisers are getting seriously ripped off. i think their actual revenue is closer to $1 per "active daily user" each month.

anyway i could see a few bucks per month for completely ad free twitter and maybe some cosmetic extras (similar to discord nitro or something) catching on. the majority of users would stay free, but i dunno, i pay the extra $7 for ad free hulu and if i were a big twitter user i might consider doing the same. but half the ads is just insulting.

maybe he's just throwing out all these bad ideas so the mediocre one he eventually arrives at seems downright brilliant by comparison. he's not, he really is that dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t get why he thinks this will do anything for spam
he doesn't. he has never actually cared about spam/bots, and never will