Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
(Oh jesus what a page snipe!!! I'm sorry.)

I finished reading Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction. Please excuse me for posting a giant CIA document with my thoughts. I've been reading this manga off-and-on for years since it launched, and it's probably my favorite manga next to Houseki no Kuni and Qualia the Purple.

I'm still processing the ending, but my working conception of this story is that you have to treat it like metafiction to make sense. There's obviously metafictional elements of it, but I mean specifically that it's almost like If on a winter's night a traveler. The manga is almost like a grab-bag of different genre stories.
1. The "prime" story is about Ontan and Kadode's life in a late capitalist dystopia where a mothership is suspended over Tokyo.
2. Every volume is sandwiched between a manga-inside-a-manga, Isobeyan, which reflects the themes and events of the prime story.
3. Around 65% into the story, we jump world-lines and see a world where Kadode kills herself. The shift in tone is jarring and horrifying, even compared to the "prime" story's depictions of genocide. Mostly, though, the substory about Kadode's suicide is self-contained and feels like a different genre.
4. 8/31 happens and we are given an entire chapter depicting an apocalypse, akin to the extended apocalyptic sequences of Akira or End of Evangelion or Bokurano.
5. After 8/3, we once again leave the "prime" story, and we're taken to another story about Kadode's father waking up in a postapocalyptic landscape where an app rules human behavior and decaying hunter robots kill people on sight. The tech from the "prime" story becomes elevated to an almost unrecognizable degree, and we very clearly step foot into an elevated sci-fi mecha world. This is technically the same reality and timeline as the "prime" story, but by introducing the disorienting PoV change and never returning to the "prime" story, it effectively functions as a kind of self-contained substory.
6. Finally, we end up in one last secondary world, where the characters have grown up and have workaday lives. This is another recognizable genre ending that you see in lots of manga and anime stories.

The meta element carries through to the finale, where adult Ontan and Kadode hear each other's voices from another timeline, which emphasizes the unreality of the final chapter. What I mean by unreality is specifically the "story" quality of what we're witnessing. We're not supposed to sink into the world of the manga and accept it as true. It's the opposite--we're supposed to be startled and recognize that what we're seeing is a story. Which is why there is literally a giant multidimensional hand of god that points at things in the final few volumes. I think a lot of what we see in Dededede is like, "possibilities." The alien technology and government conspiracies are just vehicles to transport us to these different possibilities.

The throughline is Ontan, who is Absolute. In different timelines, her big brother is a fat internet troll or a jaded prodigy. In different timelines, earth is invaded or not invaded. But in the original timeline where Kadode and Ontan become friends, Ontan discovers love. I think her love for Kadode becomes an anchor for meaning. Because she loves Kadode, she can find value in life. And by having Ontan in her life, Kadode is able to keep going no matter how crummy and worthless the state of human existence is.

The finale of Dededede is extremely similar to the finale of one of Inio Asano's earlier works, Nijigahara Holograph. Holograph is very similar to the story of Kadode's suicide, as it's about capturing the subjective despair of being a child in an abusive household and an uncaring school system. There's almost word-for-word dialogue and imagery that carries over, down to an announcement about laundry weather while the sky is blotted out by the apocalypse. It ends the same way as Dededede, with the characters encountering an adult version of themselves.

One of the last lines of Holograph is "No matter how unfair or cruel the world may seem, you must keep a strong will. You are allowed to choose the way your life goes." This is mirrored in Dededede: "That was the day humanity ended. But I'm still alive. And I'm going to keep on living as long as you're by my side."

So I think Dededede is sort of a natural evolution from Holograph. I think the difference between the two stories is love. In Holograph, the main character is completely unloved, and he can only replay the hatred and anguish in his life. When he becomes an adult, he is bitter and bewildered by the world around him. Dededede shows how much your life can change if you find someone who truly loves you. Even if the world falls apart, if you're not alone, you can find a way to keep on living.

I think one of the really ambitious things that the manga does is use its "visionary" meta style to drive home its themes. By "visionary" I mean the glimpses into different "stories" that I talked about earlier--literally giving the reader visions of different possibilities. When the final volume opens with Kadode's dad, we are given a vision of a world where humankind has fallen to nonstop, ever-escalating violence, ruled by the guiding principle of xenophobia. The US fights China fights Japan, and all of them want to conquer the invaders' homeworld. The hunter bots kill anything they don't recognize as "belonging." In other words, we're given a vision of the natural conclusion of the logic we see in Kadode's childhood--the human tendency to label the Other as a Demon. The thing that is so striking to me about this awful post-apocalypse is how boring it is. It's just endless machinations by heartless monsters. We're teased and teased to see what's happened to Kadode and Ontan. In other words, by indulging in a vision of what this timeline is like, the manga is able to drive home its theme--"xenophobia begets violence and war. War is horrible and meaningless, and it converts everything around it to the logic of war. It robs life of its most meaningful elements, which are human connection and relationships." It does this really seamlessly by going on about factional warfare when all we want is to see Ontan and Kadode smooch again.

I think that's why it ends the way it does. It gives a vision of a world that's more-or-less okay, comparatively. It shows how peace is genuinely more compelling than violence. But the manga also recognizes that a tidy, happy ending like that isn't always possible, which is why it's just a vision of a possible timeline. It's not the end of the story, because Ontan and Kadode will find a way to live no matter what world they're in. And it's saying the same thing to the reader, too: these are all possibilities, and it might be out of our own power to choose which timeline we end up in. But we need to choose love and peace over hatred and xenophobia.

All of this is to say, Ontan is the best disaster-bi I've ever seen in all of fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Two new Mr. Villains Day Off.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Shimeji Simulation

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shadows House 141

lol at Shaun doing the fist pose too

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Cephas posted:

(Oh jesus what a page snipe!!! I'm sorry.)

I finished reading Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction. Please excuse me for posting a giant CIA document with my thoughts. I've been reading this manga off-and-on for years since it launched, and it's probably my favorite manga next to Houseki no Kuni and Qualia the Purple.

Thanks, long enough; read it all!

I'll probably re-read it from the start eventually as with just monthly updates you'll end up missing lots of details, I'll make sure to re-read holograph first

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of shadow house, theres a one shot crossover between that and the authors earlier work, Kuro.

:catte:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Honestly I'm still expecting the reveal that they take place in the same world somehow

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RatHat posted:

Honestly I'm still expecting the reveal that they take place in the same world somehow

The author's tweet about the crossover said they were in different worlds.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
In which the Princess learns a valuable lesson.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

As someone who has purchases and consumes those novelty sodas at the truck stops like "Dill Pickle" and "ranch dressing". The Hell Lord gets me.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

The Hell Lord continues to be the best character of the series.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Huzzah! posted:

The Hell Lord continues to be the best character of the series.

The Hell Lord is someone we should all look up to.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Interrogation Princess
:sun:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shadows House 142

Big if true

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New interrogation princess
:sparkles:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Soara and the Monsters House

Finally, face to face with the Dark Lord.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

New Soara and the Monsters House

Finally, face to face with the Dark Lord.

I don't know what I expected given the cliffhanger from the previous chapter. But A chill country-like dude handing out rice balls was only towards the middle of my list. I also like how the artist can contrast the past and present Demon lord mostly through hatching on his features, it's something they did a lot in Marry Grave to convey intensity and I like it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Shimeji Simulation

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Shimeji simulation is starting to give me anxious feelings. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

and then I finished reading the chapter and that certainly seems like a shoe

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
A new chapter of Shadows House is out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Found a cute series called Gyaru and Cthulhu which once again proves that gyaru can make any concept wholesome as gently caress. Just an up and coming idol and her pet lovecraftian horror.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Brought To You By posted:

Found a cute series called Gyaru and Cthulhu which once again proves that gyaru can make any concept wholesome as gently caress. Just an up and coming idol and her pet lovecraftian horror.

these are in fact live-translated over in the comic strips thread on these very forums, which includes webmanga sometimes

honestly a great thread to follow because of the old-timey newspaper scans too, jokes from a hundred years ago are so incomprehensible they wrap back around to being hilarious

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 14, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

high recommendation for uramachi sakaba, also translated and posted by giant ethicist in the comic strip thread and now on the 'dex

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Hey, hi, those are me! (Hopefully I'm not doing something weird Manga-dex-culturally in basically dumping two or three years' worth of built-up translations over the course of a few days.)

I was vaguely shocked to find that literally nobody else has apparently shared any Q-Rais at all (on that site anyway), so look forward to some surreal 4-koma bullshit once my new title submission for Chako goes through. Also check out Monya, it's one of my favorite comics ever but as a finished title with an unusual art style it's probably destined to sink like a stone over there.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Hey, hi, those are me! (Hopefully I'm not doing something weird Manga-dex-culturally in basically dumping two or three years' worth of built-up translations over the course of a few days.)

I was vaguely shocked to find that literally nobody else has apparently shared any Q-Rais at all (on that site anyway), so look forward to some surreal 4-koma bullshit once my new title submission for Chako goes through. Also check out Monya, it's one of my favorite comics ever but as a finished title with an unusual art style it's probably destined to sink like a stone over there.

badass. thanks for the tl and upload; it's a cute little comic

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao hamstur

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks for the TL, it actually stuck out to me scrolling through the MD updates because I'd find multiple chapters of the gyaru series in a row so I hopped on.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Giant Ethicist posted:

Gyaru manga ftw so thank you

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
New Soara and the Monster's House.
The architect really took one look at the Demon Lord, went "I can fix him build him a house" and then did just that. Absolute legend :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

New Soara and the Monster's House.
The architect really took one look at the Demon Lord, went "I can fix him build him a house" and then did just that. Absolute legend :allears:

This man basically suplexed a twister. Our Main character was supposed to fight that...jesus christ.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Brought To You By posted:

This man basically suplexed a twister. Our Main character was supposed to fight that...jesus christ.

Correction: He suplexed the entire monsoon season

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Both the architect lady and the Demon Lord are great. This is great. :allears:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

high recommendation for uramachi sakaba, also translated and posted by giant ethicist in the comic strip thread and now on the 'dex

This is basically Midnight Diner with cyborgs, so 100% my poo poo

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

This is basically Midnight Diner with cyborgs, so 100% my poo poo
I'm also translating the same artist's Haraiso Days, which is almost exactly the same premise but with longer-form stories.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yo, these rule and you rule for translating them.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Yo, these rule and you rule for translating them.
Thanks, I like them a lot and I'm glad other people do too! Part of me is vaguely disappointed that Cthulhu and Girl, which is sort of a bubblegum comic I started translating up on a whim after a quick google to see if I could find something cringeworthy to share in the comics thread (I couldn't and found something fun and cute instead), is turning out to be so much more popular than Maruoka's comics, which I think are at least as good, but what are you gonna do?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/hirakeidayoo/status/1586584438317588480?s=46&t=FiUTbTktuTu6vKYY8fGOmA

Happy Halloween

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Anyone else reading Usuzumi no hate? It's a post apocalyptic series about an android tasked with retrieving and disposing of the crystalized bodies of humans in populated areas following an alien invasion. It's about what you can expect from a story about a lone traveler picking through the remains of human civilization but still enjoyable. And not without some interactions with other sentient figures

I always like the idea of the film buff getting time to finally watch through a catalogue of films. Something I wish I had more time to do myself, just without the whole dying and horror part.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

This owns. Because BLAME! owns and it's basically that.
Pity the magazine it's in publishes ten issues per year :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ottoman the series has ended serialization but the translation still have a couple volumes to go. And as far as ways to access powerups goes. Holding congress is one way for sure.

sinky posted:

Pity the magazine it's in publishes ten issues per year :negative:
It is the price we pay so that Harta will continue this level of quality series.