Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Is there? What was the window dressing for overturning roe, which was a 50 year precedent and all those fucks swore under oath it was settled law?

Not trying to be snarky. If there is an internally consistent rationale I'd like to hear it. (I don't think "those decisions were all wrong" counts)

The majority opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization provides the argument for why the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. I've linked it below. Start on page 9 of the .pdf.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Genuinely, yeah. It's what made Roberts so effective as the sheparder / fig leaf guy - he would push right wing rulings in a manner designed to limit damage to the institution of the court, aware of the ultimate political limits of faith in the SCOTUS.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Is there? What was the window dressing for overturning roe, which was a 50 year precedent and all those fucks swore under oath it was settled law?

Not trying to be snarky. If there is an internally consistent rationale I'd like to hear it. (I don't think "those decisions were all wrong" counts)
What's funny Roe did have the fact that everyone agrees the actual decision was really wonky, and people also buy into rightwing propaganda and forget Roe itself was always a compromise with limits to abortion built into it. It in many ways set itself up for erosion and re-litigation. Like if Roe was overturned under Scalia, the guy did have some reasonable sounding arguments because the shaky ground of Roe made overturning it a bit of a layup. But instead the Dobbs decision is loving insane.

But to me the window dressing doesn't really matter. The court has an unreasonable opinion about abortion and did something unreasonable about it. The window dressing doesn't matter. They're just doing what they want. The court also has had some good LGTBQ decisions, but that's not because we tricked them into doing the right thing. It's just Gorsuch is a Libertarian nutball, and sometimes he has good opinions because of it.

I don't feel like it gets talked about enough, but please remember that 3 of the supreme court members were willing to completely override Biden's power as commander-in-chief. Like this isn't "Ah, sure it sucks but the Constitution says what it says" Originalism bullshit. It's just ignoring the Constitution.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 1, 2022

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1587450127945531398?t=ysJ_QEuLDDr4IGjlcDg5GQ&s=19

It was Roberts

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Is there anything these could show besides 1. Trump isn't as wealthy as he pretends to be and 2. He enriched himself on the public dime while President? Trump's team is acting like this is mycrimes.txt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Baronash posted:

Is there anything these could show besides 1. Trump isn't as wealthy as he pretends to be and 2. He enriched himself on the public dime while President? Trump's team is acting like this is mycrimes.txt.

Tax fraud and insurance fraud (specifically in regards to the case against him in New York where he put incomes and valuations for properties very differently than he did on the one page of tax returns that did leak).

Could also open him up to civil liability if he was knowingly giving false information to investors or partners.

Not really clear what the actual implications would be without knowing what is in it. But, it's not unreasonable for them to want to keep them private. The best case scenario is that he weakens his state case in NY and gives former partners and investors grounds to sue. No reason not to fight something that can literally only hurt you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baronash posted:

it could show business connections that are unsavory or would not play well in public even if not illegal

if he had large income from or debts to assorted russian enterprises or individuals, for example. or, like, with bill clinton or some other republican bugbear.

in reality though the most likely answer is it will make him look foolish and poor (compared to what he alleges his wealth is)

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The Supreme court has been illegitimate since George W Bush was president. Nothing we do now beyond impeaching and replacing the justices he installed as well as the justices McConnel blocked will change that. It is deeply disturbing that we have a court that is pretty much legislating from the bench and they are unelected as well as the fact they are going against the will of the plurality of the people.

The Constitution needs to be fixed up for the 21st century. Originalism is just so freaking stupid.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

ManBoyChef posted:

The Supreme court has been illegitimate since George W Bush was president. Nothing we do now beyond impeaching and replacing the justices he installed as well as the justices McConnel blocked will change that. It is deeply disturbing that we have a court that is pretty much legislating from the bench and they are unelected as well as the fact they are going against the will of the plurality of the people.

The Constitution needs to be fixed up for the 21st century. Originalism is just so freaking stupid.

Technically the Supreme Court has been illegitimate since the notorious Half-Breed RutherFRAUD B. Hayes appointed two justices.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

This is a pretty routine stay that isn't really indicative of anything, except that we'll have to wait another day or two.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Pretty sure it'll be a few weeks and after the midterms now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Baronash posted:

His entire brand is "rich guy" and his entire financial empire was built on lying about his wealth and the value of his properties.

Tax documents hurt both of those.

Also he's a fragile baby.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

His entire brand is "rich guy" and his entire financial empire was built on lying about his wealth and the value of his properties.

Tax documents hurt both of those.

Also he's a fragile baby.

Yaah its mostly this. it'll show he was a mere millionaire and not a billionaire and he cannot have that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It has been less than a week and Elon already fired the COO of Twitter (who he originally said needed to stay on because she was critical to maintaining the business).

He is also already telling banks that he won't be able to pay them back on the original schedule he promised and the banks are now expecting to be stuck with the debt and eventually take a huge loss on it.

The people who bought the debt say that nobody wants to invest in it because there isn't a "clear" business plan and they don't expect one for at least a year, but they are holding out hope that Elon somehow has a brilliant idea to make Twitter incredibly profitable in the next year.

Pretty normal first four days.

https://twitter.com/Kantrowitz/status/1587462729266257923
https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1587453231529353219

Elon also sent out a letter begging advertisers not to leave by promising that Twitter won't turn into "a hellscape" and is now advertising that anyone can get verified, but it costs $8 a month starting next week.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587498907336118274
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587500060853424129

The paid version still has ads and will prioritize everyone else's searches to paid accounts.

Twitter, Elon, a bunch of banks, some innocent people, and Saudi Arabia might all take huge loses from this. So, maybe Elon actually did the world a favor by self-destructing and taking some of the worst people down with him?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

brb, spending $8 to make a crypto scam account indistinguishable from actual verified Twitter user Elon Musk

I give it 1 month until they bring back a way to differentiate "real" verified users

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He is also already telling banks that he won't be able to pay them back on the original schedule he promised

I have not seen this anywhere (this is not what "take a haircut" means on trading debt) - do you have a link?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's funny Roe did have the fact that everyone agrees the actual decision was really wonky, and people also buy into rightwing propaganda and forget Roe itself was always a compromise with limits to abortion built into it. It in many ways set itself up for erosion and re-litigation. Like if Roe was overturned under Scalia, the guy did have some reasonable sounding arguments because the shaky ground of Roe made overturning it a bit of a layup. But instead the Dobbs decision is loving insane.

I could be way off here because this is from memory, secondhand and also I am not a lawyer so anyone feel free to correct me:

As it was explained to me, Roe did make sense constitutionally and has a basis in case law. It's just that there was not much case law about abortion specifically (maybe also medical privacy?), nor it being protected by the law.

Essentially, the first clause of 14th amendment guarantees due process but unwritten is the right to privacy and this was established in case law.

From there, there is a right to medical privacy from the government so the government doesn't have the power to invade that privacy nor dictate medical decisions with respect to a person's pregnancy* because otherwise they would be violating medical privacy and thus due process.

*the medical decision can be limited by state law based on viability and some wonky legal test

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 1, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cranappleberry posted:

I could be way off here because this is from memory, secondhand and also I am not a lawyer so anyone feel free to correct me:

As it was explained to me, Roe did make sense constitutionally and has a basis in case law. It's just that there was not much case law about abortion specifically (maybe also medical privacy?), nor it being protected by the law.

Essentially, the first clause of 14th amendment guarantees due process but unwritten is the right to privacy and this was established in case law.

From there, there is a right to medical privacy from the government so the government doesn't have the power to invade that privacy or dictate medical decisions with respect to a person's pregnancy*.

*though the medical decision can be limited by state law based on viability and some wonky legal test

The right to privacy is implicit in almost every single aspect of the bill of rights. But it's not *technically* in the constitution so the "originalists" can pretend it's not there.

It's not as strong a justification for abortion being legal as the equal protection argument for abortion rights.

I'm sure a lawyer will give a longer answer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

I have not seen this anywhere (this is not what "take a haircut" means on trading debt) - do you have a link?

WSJ article saying that banks had intended to fund the lending by selling debt to third-party investors right away, but rising interest rates and other problems with Twitter have made third-party buyers skittish of investing in Twitter's debt. During the April deal when they finalized financing, they provided an estimate that they would unload all of the debt onto third-party buyers by the time the sale was finalized. Now, they have to keep all the debt on their books for at least a year (which freezes out their ability to invest elsewhere) because if they sold now, it would be for a huge loss and is well below the estimate they had in April.

Banks are now planning on ways to cut the debt and bonds up into smaller and less profitable chunks to be able to unload it since the original timeline for the sale of debt and recapitalization is completely blown now.

quote:

Banks that committed to help finance Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter Inc. plan to hold all $13 billion of debt backing the deal rather than sell it, according to people familiar with the matter, in another blow to a market that serves as a crucial source of corporate funding.

The banks decided to park the debt on their balance sheets to avoid selling it at a loss to bond and loan fund managers, who have grown increasingly skittish amid rising market turmoil, the people said.

Twitter could have the dubious distinction of being the biggest so-called hung deal of all time, surpassing a crop of them in the global financial crisis, when banks were stuck with around $300 billion of committed debt they struggled to sell to investors.

The Twitter move threatens to bring the faltering leveraged-buyout pipeline to a standstill by tying up capital that Wall Street could otherwise use to back new deals.

The $44 billion Twitter takeover is backed by banks including Morgan Stanley, Bank of America Corp. and Barclays PLC, which signed agreements in April to provide Mr. Musk with the debt financing he needed to buy the company. They had originally intended to find third-party investors, such as loan asset managers and mutual funds, who would ultimately lend the money as is customary in leveraged buyouts.

But rising interest rates and growing concerns about a recession have cooled investors’ appetite for risky loans and bonds. Mr. Musk’s past criticism of Twitter’s alleged misrepresentation of the condition of its business and the number of fake accounts on the platform aren’t helping either—nor is a deterioration in Twitter’s business, the people added.

Banks also face a timing problem: Mr. Musk and Twitter have until Oct. 28 to close his planned purchase, and there is still no guarantee the unpredictable billionaire will follow through or some other trouble won’t arise. (If the deal doesn’t close by that time, the two parties will go to court in November.) That means the banks wouldn’t have enough time to market the debt to third-party investors, a process that normally takes weeks, even if they wanted to sell it now.

Assuming the deal closes, banks hope to be able to sell some of Twitter’s debt by early next year, should market conditions improve by then, some of the people said. Twitter’s banks are discussing how to potentially slice up the debt into different pieces that could be easier for hedge-fund investors or direct lenders to swallow, one of these people said.

The banks have good reason to want to hold the debt for as short a time period as possible.

Holding loans and bonds can force them to set more capital aside to meet regulatory requirements, limiting the credit banks are able to provide to others. Banks also face year-end stress tests, and they will want to limit their exposure to risky corporate debts before regulators evaluate the soundness of their balance sheets.

So far this year, banks have already taken hundreds of millions of dollars worth of losses and been forced to hold a growing amount of buyout debt.

Twitter’s debt, including $6.5 billion of term loans and $6 billion of bonds, would add to the increasing pile banks eventually intend to syndicate, recently estimated by Goldman Sachs at around $45 billion.

Banks’ third-quarter earnings showed a steep drop-off in revenue tied to deal-making. Goldman’s debt-underwriting revenue dropped to $328 million in the third quarter from $726 million a year earlier.

Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman said recently that his bank has been “quite cautious in the leveraged-finance arena” for new deals, while Bank of America’s Brian Moynihan said “there’s been a natural retrenching” in the leveraged-loan market and the bank “was working to get through the pipeline” of existing deals.

Private-equity firms, which rely heavily on debt to fund their buyouts, have increasingly turned to private-credit providers such as Blackstone Credit and Blue Owl Capital Inc. These firms don’t have to split up and sell debt and can provide funding from investment vehicles established to do so. Although it is more expensive and harder to come by than earlier this year, private-credit providers have been the main source of buyout financing recently.

To deal with debts they have already committed to, banks have gotten increasingly creative.

In a take-private of Citrix Systems Inc., banks agreed to turn some $6 billion of syndicated term loans into a more traditional bank loan that they chose to keep on their balance sheets, but they sold around $8 billion of bonds and loans at a loss of more than $500 million, the Journal reported. There was also a revision in the financing structure of the Nielsen Holdings PLC take-private, with $3 billion in unsecured bonds becoming a junior secured loan that private-credit provider Ares Capital Corp. agreed to lead. The banks held the remainder of Nielsen’s roughly $9 billion of debt on their balance sheets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musks-twitter-takeover-debt-to-be-held-by-banks-amid-turbulent-markets-11666377716

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Devor posted:

I give it 1 month until they bring back a way to differentiate "real" verified users

An addition cost of $12/month for super verification

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The largest advertising manager of Twitter ads for major corporations is now recommending all of its clients suspend their advertising on Twitter. Another major source of revenue completely dried up for an unknown amount of time - and possibly permanently.

https://twitter.com/Ryanbarwick/status/1587430944448864258
https://twitter.com/followtheh/status/1587456947820941313

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That RvW is actually a "bad decision " that "everyone agrees is bad" is actually just more right wing propaganda that some people have accidentally consumed and now regurgitate.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Yawgmoft posted:

That RvW is actually a "bad decision " that "everyone agrees is bad" is actually just more right wing propaganda that some people have accidentally consumed and now regurgitate.

That's very true. Propaganda works on everyone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Following the IPG announcement that they will recommend all of their clients suspend marketing on Twitter, Musk is calling an emergency meeting with Twitter advertisers.

If every IPG client pulls out of Twitter, then they will lose about 70% of their total revenue.

Last year, 89% of the company's revenue came from ads and 11% came from data licensing and all other sources combined.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1587471957565612035

quote:

Twitter’s ad leaders and its new owner Elon Musk are meeting with agencies and brands to try to attempt to smooth over any uncertainty about the future of the service, as some advertisers start to back away from the platform.

Advertising industry insiders told Ad Age that Musk was arranging meetings with marketers in New York to try to sure up their support. At the same time, leaders at ad agencies were meeting with Twitter advertising reps, who promised that moderation policies would remain in place to prevent the site from turning into a cesspit. And early today, Musk tweeted that “Twitter cannot rely entirely on advertisers.”

“They’re not saying it’s business as usual,” said one ad agency executive, who spoke with Twitter reps on Monday. “But they are reiterating that content moderation policies have not changed.”

Musk was in New York on Monday to hold talks with advertisers, whom the billionaire needs to keep Twitter afloat while he works on longer-term plans. There are “some high-level conversations with him that are being organized,” said the agency exec, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Twitter did not return a request for comment about Musk’s itinerary. There were signs, however, that the billionaire was in New York. Jason Calacanis, a prominent Silicon Valley investor who is a close confidant of Musk, tweeted: “We’re having a very productive day meeting with the marketing and advertising community here in New York.”

But today, in what could be another blow to advertiser confidence, Twitter's Chief Customer Officer Sarah Personette announced she had left the company and her work access was "officially cut off last night." In recent days, Personette had been one of the Twitter holdovers pre-Musk who had been communicating with agencies and brand leaders, according to advertising executives. Personette also publicly supported Musk's tweet last week that signaled support for Twitter's brand safety policies and partnerships with the industry.

One top marketing executive, who sits on Twitter’s Influencer Council, a group of advertisers that are close to the company and represent big-spending brands, expressed concern over Musk’s leadership so far. The exec, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said it seemed like Musk was surrounding himself with few voices that would take advertiser concerns seriously. “The people I’ve cultivated a relationship with are no longer in the room,” the marketing exec said.

The marketing leader said that Musk does not appear to appreciate the level of work Twitter has done with advertisers. “It’s easier to send a rocket into space than it is to manage Twitter,” the exec said, alluding to Musk’s SpaceX.

Last week, Musk closed his deal to buy Twitter for $44 billion, a takeover that rattled the nerves of advertisers, who spent $4.5 billion with the platform in 2021. Advertising revenue topped $1 billion in the second quarter of this year, rising 2% from a year earlier. But Musk has been considered a liability in the brand world after he promised to reinstate banned Twitter accounts and promote more permissive attitudes about speech. For advertisers, Musk’s plan sounded like he would unwind safety guardrails.

Until now, Twitter has been a signatory to agreements in the ad industry to apply restrictions on misinformation, hate speech, harassment and violent rhetoric. Advertisers have been uncertain if that would still be the case under Musk’s policies.

Musk’s stewardship has already been rocky: Over the weekend, NBA star LeBron James tweeted about concerns over a rising trend among trolls using racist slurs on Twitter. James, who has 52.3 million followers on the platform, called it “scary AF.”

There’s also been a flurry of misinformation on Twitter, with people spreading conspiracy theories about the attack on Nancy Pelosi’s home, which hospitalized her husband, Paul Pelosi. Musk even retweeted a suspicious headline about the attack. Musk later deleted his retweet and comment about it.

Advertisers told Ad Age that it is tough to square Musk’s public comments about keeping Twitter secure with his public behavior.

Brands and ad agencies are talking behind the scenes about contingency plans should they have to shift advertising away from Twitter. Most brands that Ad Age reached out to said they were watching the situation closely. “We’re keeping our eyes on it,” said Kohl's Chief Marketing Officer Christie Raymond. “It’s a small part of our spend, so we’re going to keep our eyes on it, and obviously be smart with our investments there.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this may all come crashing down faster than we thought, especially if the bulk of advertisers decide to bail

It would probably help things if Musk could shut the gently caress up for even 24 hours

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm kinda starting to think that spending 44 billion dollars while neglecting to thoroughly understand the item you're buying, indeed signing a contract to the effect that you will make no effort to do that, is a bad idea

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this may all come crashing down faster than we thought, especially if the bulk of advertisers decide to bail

It would probably help things if Musk could shut the gently caress up for even 24 hours

It will depend on how many actually end up following the recommendation to bail or this emergency meeting does somehow smooth things over.

Or... if every active Twitter user decides to subscribe to the new verified plan, then he will make nearly $43 billion, earn back all of the money he spent in a single year, increase Twitter's profitability by about 230x, and make everyone else look silly for doubting him.

Both are technically possible.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
He's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Advertisers will tell him he needs moderation and to get rid of bots & nazis yelling slurs.

If he does that, he's going to piss off the chuds, who will say he got beaten by the deep state.

So he is choosing between losing a shitload of money, or a lot of attention and adulation from chuds.

lol

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Will this head of lettuce outlast Twitter?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Verifying everyone on Twitter as an actual person and instituting a program to promote those who verify isn't actually a bad idea, 10 years ago.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So in theory @Elonmuskhemorrhoids could be a blue mark account, or does it still need to be verified despite paying the 20......er....8 dollars?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587498907336118274
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587500060853424129

The paid version still has ads and will prioritize everyone else's searches to paid accounts.

Twitter, Elon, a bunch of banks, some innocent people, and Saudi Arabia might all take huge loses from this. So, maybe Elon actually did the world a favor by self-destructing and taking some of the worst people down with him?

Wait, so I only have to pay $8 a month to give my spam account top priority in responses? That's SEO you normally can't even pay for!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Madkal posted:

So in theory @Elonmuskhemorrhoids could be a verified account. What a world

Literally any account can be next week. Honestly, I think it is going to become a badge to alert everyone that you are a sucker at that point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

I'm kinda starting to think that spending 44 billion dollars while neglecting to thoroughly understand the item you're buying, indeed signing a contract to the effect that you will make no effort to do that, is a bad idea

Musk is starting to lay the groundwork for an "actually, everything fell apart because I was scammed" defense.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586885887341645824

This is probably just him doing some Twitter shitposting and deflecting and not something he is really considering acting on. But, hilarious that he has owned it for less than a week and is already claiming he was set up to fail.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Good luck to the team that has until the 7th to put this out, complete. Hope they're following him on Twitter so they can see the most recent required specs

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't know if that's true, but it is irrelevant because the Dobbs decision is insane and is driven by a desire to ban abortion, not if Roe was imperfect.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hollywood Reporter says that Twitter is in danger of losing the 89% of its revenue that comes from organized ad buyers and "devolving into another Truth Social or Parler" that "may be stuck cutting deals with MyPillow and collectible gold coin sellers, a visible reminder of $44 billion washed away."

Most of the major advertisers on Twitter have committed to a pause in advertising, but are willing to come back if they don't think it will damage their brand or there is a demonstration that it is profitable to advertise there. So, it's not sunk yet. But, if most of the advertisers stay out and the new verified subscription plan doesn't pan out, then Twitter is going to need drastic changes right away to maintain operating costs.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1587499785912610816

quote:

Ad Buyers In Wait-And-See Mode As Twitter Chaos Erupts In Elon Musk Era

On May 4, 2022, the week after Twitter’s board of directors unanimously approved Elon Musk’s takeover offer, Sarah Personette, Twitter’s chief customer officer and its liaison to the advertising community, hopped on a stage in a glass-encased room at New York’s South Street Seaport to tell the audience of dozens of media buyers and major ad partners that she was filled with “gratitude.”

“Your partnership makes us better each and every day, and we are exceptionally grateful for how you stand with us and how we work together to do incredible things,” she told the crowd for the advertising presentation, adding that Twitter was “committed to deepening the relationships with the top rightsholders and premium content publishers around the world and across this country.”

“This is extremely important to us because we know that it matters to connect your brands to the people that matter to you,” the Twitter executive added.

Five months and 22 days later on the evening of Oct. 26, Personette sat down to talk Twitter advertising again, this time for an audience of one: Elon Musk.

The result of that conversation, which emphasized the importance of brand safety to the platform, was Musk’s open letter to advertisers, which he tweeted on Oct. 27. “Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!” he wrote. “I also very much believe that advertising, when done right, can delight, entertain and inform you.”

It was a message meant to soothe wary marketers, unsure of what exactly Musk has in store for his powerful new toy.

Update 4:45 AM Nov. 1: Personette tweeted that she has resigned from Twitter.

Musk spent $44 billion on Twitter (he acknowledged overpaying on Tesla’s Q3 earnings call), and presumably wants to make money on the deal, or at least minimize his losses.

While he has other plans to make money, like charging for verified users to keep their blue checkmark badges, or reviving the Vine video platform that Twitter shut down in 2016 (“what could we do to make it better than TikTok?” he asked the popular YouTube creator MrBeast), there’s no ignoring that advertising is going to be a critical piece of the puzzle.

After all, ads made up 89 percent of Twitter’s 2021 revenue, according to its annual report.

But major advertisers, who have traditionally been small-c conservative when it comes to where they spend their dollars, are beginning to raise concerns.

General Motors, one of the largest ad buyers in the country, said that it is “temporarily pausing” its paid advertising on Twitter, adding that “we are engaging with Twitter to understand the direction of the platform under their new ownership.”

A source close to a major national ad buyer tells The Hollywood Reporter that for companies like GM, brand safety is paramount, with TV networks and streaming services like Hulu (not to mention social platforms like Snapchat) able to guarantee brand-safe environments around their ads.

Musk has promised to blow up Twitter, promising both unfettered free speech but also a “warm and welcoming” environment.

It’s a new vision for Twitter, which has made the centerpiece of its advertising pitch a platform where the world talks about what is happening, often built around more brand-safe events like the FIFA World Cup and the Emmys.

Musk’s open letter showed that he understands Twitter won’t be able to survive without advertising. But unfettered free speech without what he called a “free-for-all hellscape” is a mighty difficult ask, and other marketers are weighing whether to join GM in pausing or reevaluating their campaigns, the ad source said, though that could mean a reduction in ad spending, rather than an outright pause.

Brad Adgate, a media consultant and former executive at Horizon Media, says that “it will be a tall task to ease Madison Avenue,” but there are steps Musk can take to bolster the relationship, with recognizing the importance of brand safety being a top priority including “reinstate a Twitter board that includes marketing execs and agency personnel.”

He could also “stop posting controversial tweets,” Adgate adds, though Musk’s history on the platform suggests that move is unlikely.

However, in advertising, the money follows the audience. If Musk is successful in creating his “common digital town square,” where the world wants to share and discuss and debate ideas and what’s happening, or reviving Vine as a viable competitor to TikTok, the ad dollars will follow.

If it devolves into just another Truth Social or Parler, then it may be stuck cutting deals with MyPillow and collectible gold coin sellers, a visible reminder of $44 billion washed away.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only thing everyone agrees on is that abortion policy should be codified and not live as a string of court decisions forever

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Meatball posted:

An addition cost of $12/month for super verification

There's your Standard Verification which gets you the Official Blue Checkmark, then Verification+ which adds on the Ad-Free option, and then Premium Verification in which Elon will personally tweet @you to buy dogecoins directly from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

the_steve posted:

There's your Standard Verification which gets you the Official Blue Checkmark, then Verification+ which adds on the Ad-Free option, and then Premium Verification in which Elon will personally tweet @you to buy dogecoins directly from him.

The sad thing is that this is actually more generous than the real version. Even the premium version has ads. There will be no ad-free version of Twitter anymore after next week.