Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

Since this guy's been head chef the restaurant can't retain a lot of staff. Most of the servers they hire for part time work leave after less than a month. I don't blame them at all. Why put up with this hard-on when you could get a similar job with similar pay and a huge decrease in abuse from a manchild with a hair trigger temper?

Does this guy actually produce food that gets repeat customers or a good reputation around town? That would go a long way toward explaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Super Waffle posted:

COO gave me an ultimatum last Tuesday regarding my hybrid wfh setup; either start coming into the office every day or give me your resignation date. I have until this Friday to decide. While I would have loved to quit on the spot, having a 4 month old means I don't have the luxury of impulsiveness. While I am of course looking for a new job (interview next Tuesday!), my wife has begged me not to quit until I have something lined up, which could take a while. that leaves me with two options:

1) suck it up until I find a new job, meanwhile my wife struggle at home alone all week with the baby
2) pretend to suck it up and ignore him until I find a new job or this goes away (hes only in the office every other week anyways)

Either way I am sending him an email asking (demanding) a review of my compensation, as I passed on a higher paying offer to take this job on the understanding that I would have a hybrid set up (I've got an hour commute each way).

Please ignore if you just wanted to vent instead of thoughts/advice:

Any exec that’s got enough time on their hands to be handing out personal ultimatums about WFH/hybrid work is probably going to try to catch you in a lie about #2. All it takes is him checking in with one sycophant.

Given that your wife (seems from the post, anyway) to prefer #1 as well, even understanding it will be more work for her, that’s what I’d go with.

Regarding your comp review, unless you’ve got something written into whatever you signed, I wouldn’t expect too much - especially since they’re clawing back something they “agreed” to already. It might be better to go into that looking for quality-of-life improvements related to the change (like flexible start/ends of your workday, transit passes, more PTO, more sick days, etc.) than cold hard cash (like “$10,000 to cover 15,000 miles committed annually” or something).

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

Does this guy actually produce food that gets repeat customers or a good reputation around town? That would go a long way toward explaining it.

I don't really know. We're in a pretty major city and as far as I can tell there's nothing that really makes our food stand out that much. I'm not saying that he's awful at the actual cooking part, and I'm no expert, but I don't really know that he goes that above and beyond. The restaurant is owned by a large restaurant management company who make a lot of menu decisions. He may have input on the final product, but I'm not sure. To his credit, he does put a big emphasis on cleanliness. As far as repeat customers, I don't know for sure but I don't think we get a ton of them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh my God we got an email from finance a few weeks ago wanting to know how on earth we managed to lose almost 100 gallons!!! of $80 per 750ml whiskey.

We ran it for a week straight producing thousands and thousands of cases and using up 10s of thousands of gallons of whiskey. :rolleyes:

Let me know when this guy learns about the angel's share during aging.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Humor me as a guy who knows nothing about brewing, where do all these losses come from in the bottling and canning process anyway?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Sapozhnik posted:

Humor me as a guy who knows nothing about brewing, where do all these losses come from in the bottling and canning process anyway?

Goblins

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Gremlins are notorious alcoholics

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's mostly brewers and distillery workers making up horseshit stories about "efficiency" and "real world conditions" and similar jumbo, all so they can get hammered on company property. Furthermore, I have an MBA in

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

You push beer with CO2 and more beer so once the tank is empty, you don't have a way to push beer out of the many hoses, valves, etc. in a way that would be able to be really bottled or canned.

Like when you turn off the spigot to a garden hose, you have a bunch of water left in the hose. You can drain it out using gravity, compressed gas, orwhatever, but it's not going to be coming out with the same uniformity it did with the force of the spigot behind it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cleaning the tap lines for my beers today, because if I don't nobody will. As I'm going down the lines I notice that one of the couplers is attached to an empty keg for a beer we sold out of recently. Motherfucking restaurant manager just sort of letvit be and didn't bother cleaning the loving line. At least he actually remembered to close the gas line to that tap. I asked him about it and his excuse was that it kicked on Friday or Saturday (he was busy, you see). I can at least sort of buy the putting off line cleaning because of a busy schedule meaning you don't have the time to run caustic far enough ahead of opening or staying late after close but that tap wasn't going to be used anymore. Just run caustic on Sunday afternoon or whatever! Whatever. If I don't do this little bit of work it won't get done and my beer is gonna taste like poo poo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also, with aged spirits like whiskey and bourbon, there's evaporation during the aging process.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Do all goons work in the brewing industry??

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I buy from them, so, technically: Yes.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

I buy from them, so, technically: Yes.

Buy my BEER! Buy my BEER! Buy my BEER!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Thesaurus posted:

our entire economy is centered around the brewing industry. you may work on a railroad or in a clean room manufacturing semi conductors. but if you follow the ownership chain all the way up you'll find we all work for big beer

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I occasionally do work for a brewery, and get paid mostly in beer, does that count?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Thesaurus posted:

No some of us work for distilleries.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I am a heavy and well-known hitter in the demand side of the business.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atticus_1354 posted:

No some of us work for distilleries.

AMA about winemaking.the managers suck. Probably.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

To his credit, he does put a big emphasis on cleanliness.

Cleaning the tap lines for my beers today, because if I don't nobody will. As I'm going down the lines I notice that one of the couplers is attached to an empty keg for a beer we sold out of recently. Motherfucking restaurant manager just sort of letvit be and didn't bother cleaning the loving line.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The head chef is clean. The restaurant manager is not.

Edit: To clarify, the restaurant manager is a mouth breathing idiot who is messy, the head chef is clean and decent enough at the actual doing his job part but has a hair trigger temper and is almost always yelling at someone.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 1, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

RocketMermaid posted:

(...) The brewing and restaurant industries are so similar, brewing just has more emphasis on being a factory environment and less emphasis on substance abuse (usually)...

Unless the brewers are alcoholics in which case

Car Hater posted:

Gremlins are notorious alcoholics

The head chef is clean. The restaurant manager is not.

Edit: To clarify, the restaurant manager is a mouth breathing idiot who is messy, the head chef is clean and decent enough at the actual doing his job part but has a hair trigger temper and is almost always yelling at someone.

I have a terrible idea: Hand the man a sword and tell him to either get on with it or shut up. Either the restaurant will be carved up or he will bend to your will

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

Glass bottles break. Sometimes it's bad glass from the glass supplier and they shatter in the capper. . Sometimes your packaging equipment gets out of time and it eats a bottle. Sometimes the robots do stupid poo poo like running into each other, making a whole pallet fall over.

Sometimes you're using a 50 year old vacuum filler that leaks like a seive because you cant afford the downtime to rebuild it.

And because there are forklifts on the premises, sometimes your poor bottles that survived all the above perils get run through.

Not to mention every time you change products, you have to wash your filler, and then get the wash material out of it by flushing it with product that goes straight down the drain.

Also I won't stop drinking it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Talking to the cook I was wrong. Head chef isn't clean. He just sometimes suddenly does deep cleans. Also his skills are adequate but basic. Like he can't do other styles of food. I was just taking my best guess as to why they put up with him when he keeps driving off staff based on my own detached view of things. I'm back to not knowing why.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

tactlessbastard posted:

Glass bottles break. Sometimes it's bad glass from the glass supplier and they shatter in the capper. . Sometimes your packaging equipment gets out of time and it eats a bottle. Sometimes the robots do stupid poo poo like running into each other, making a whole pallet fall over.

I saw a hilarious robot signal malfunction once: Picture in your minds eye a robot taking six packs of yogurt cups and place them on a pallet. When the pallet is full it signals "I'm full, wait until a new pallet is in place" but instead when full it signaled "I'm a brand new pallet stack from the bottom please!" and the robot complied. Cue 1 ton ABB robot arm smashing through a pallet of 'gurt. It made a wonderful, hilarious mess.

I say wonderful because I did not have to be involved in the cleaning of said robot.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Sometimes you're using a 50 year old vacuum filler that leaks like a seive because you cant afford the downtime to rebuild it.

And because there are forklifts on the premises, sometimes your poor bottles that survived all the above perils get run through.

Not to mention every time you change products, you have to wash your filler, and then get the wash material out of it by flushing it with product that goes straight down the drain.

Also I won't stop drinking it.

To add to this you will also run a small amount of product through the hoses and the filling heads down the drain to purge the lines of oxygen and remaining sanitizer. If you're canning partially filled cans cannot be sold and count as loss. With beer at least low filled bottles get dumped and if undamaged, get rinsed and put back on the line. As mentioned you lose a certain percentage of your beer to yeast in suspension, because you don't want that in the packaged product. You lose more if you add dry hop and/or fruit as well. You lose the least amount of beer kegging, usually because it's a pretty simple, closed system that is very reliable. Especially if you do it by hand, which I do. Just a liquid in and a gas out valve with CO2 pushing from the tank. For a 500 liter batch of something simple like a non dry hopped saison I'll probably only get 50-100 liters of loss for a 500 liter batch. An APA with a moderate dry hop gets 100-150 liters of loss, usually. The double dry hopped (although a relatively small amount) and fruited smoothie sour IPA disaster ends up with 150-200 liters of loss because all of the hops and fruit puree in the suspension.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

To add to this you will also run a small amount of product through the hoses and the filling heads down the drain to purge the lines of oxygen and remaining sanitizer. If you're canning partially filled cans cannot be sold and count as loss. With beer at least low filled bottles get dumped and if undamaged, get rinsed and put back on the line. As mentioned you lose a certain percentage of your beer to yeast in suspension, because you don't want that in the packaged product. You lose more if you add dry hop and/or fruit as well. You lose the least amount of beer kegging, usually because it's a pretty simple, closed system that is very reliable. Especially if you do it by hand, which I do. Just a liquid in and a gas out valve with CO2 pushing from the tank. For a 500 liter batch of something simple like a non dry hopped saison I'll probably only get 50-100 liters of loss for a 500 liter batch. An APA with a moderate dry hop gets 100-150 liters of loss, usually. The double dry hopped (although a relatively small amount) and fruited smoothie sour IPA disaster ends up with 150-200 liters of loss because all of the hops and fruit puree in the suspension.

I thought loss was gonna be a couple of percent but this is uhh, oh boy

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

I thought loss was gonna be a couple of percent but this is uhh, oh boy

I could be wrong but I think your loss percentage also goes down as you get bigger. Small scale there's a lot of loss.

Edit: I might also be an idiot dumping beer down the drain where it could have been avoided.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 1, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I could be wrong but I think your loss percentage also goes down as you get bigger. Small scale there's a lot of loss.

Edit: I might also be an idiot dumping beer down the drain where it could have been avoided.

in the world of dairy you're a hero if you can save .01% of something, so there might be somewhere to save.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

in the world of dairy you're a hero if you can save .01% of something, so there might be somewhere to save.

For the companies truly at scale, small improvements can be nuts. Its how the FAANGs can pay engineers $200+k. One of my mentors was an executive at continental can company's canning division in the 1970s. As I recall he got to be an executive because in the 60s he led a successful process improvement that saved 10 cents per 1000 cans (~55 cents/1000 cans in 2022 dollars). This would probably create about $100M in savings in 2022 dollars.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Larger breweries can reduce a lot of loss with things like centrifuges and filters.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I saw a hilarious robot signal malfunction once: Picture in your minds eye a robot taking six packs of yogurt cups and place them on a pallet. When the pallet is full it signals "I'm full, wait until a new pallet is in place" but instead when full it signaled "I'm a brand new pallet stack from the bottom please!" and the robot complied. Cue 1 ton ABB robot arm smashing through a pallet of 'gurt. It made a wonderful, hilarious mess.

I say wonderful because I did not have to be involved in the cleaning of said robot.

Two weeks ago the palletizer was drat sure it had a pallet with 1 tier of liquor on it so when it indexed into the position to catch tier 2, it annihilated the three tiers that were on the pallet.

And I think it was in this thread where I previously described an IT update that physically crashed a crane that was carrying a whole pallet of gin.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CarForumPoster posted:

For the companies truly at scale, small improvements can be nuts. Its how the FAANGs can pay engineers $200+k. One of my mentors was an executive at continental can company's canning division in the 1970s. As I recall he got to be an executive because in the 60s he led a successful process improvement that saved 10 cents per 1000 cans (~55 cents/1000 cans in 2022 dollars). This would probably create about $100M in savings in 2022 dollars.

Back in 2009 the company I was working for was taking their test stand product and turning it into the final design and had to figure out how to implement a fluid connection that didn't use lockwire. For bolts we had a self locking solution we had convinced ourselves would work, but there were no really good secondary retention options for connectors at the time. We assigned two engineers to this thing and gave them budget to add a contractor to help organize (me) and prototyping/testing money. I left after the first preliminary design review for a different job, but learned from someone else that it was a two year study and that the program was a success. All that to pull around 100 pounds of weight off a 5000 lb. product. The weight reduction let them put on another cooler without going over the weight budget and so it was considered extremely worth it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Engineering at scale is an art. A particularly brutal art.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Forklifts aren't an issue in of themselves, the problem with forklifts is they attract the sort of people who drive forklifts

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Forklifts aren't an issue in of themselves, the problem with forklifts is they attract the sort of people who drive forklifts

Real ultimate power!!!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Sapozhnik posted:

First you have to account for losses during fermentation and aging - all the fermentables that get turned into yeast biomass, the trub that drops out of solution, a few gallons here and there below the racking arm or in a hose. You typically lose around 5-10% of your beer volume to that. If you're dry-hopping your beer, like when you're brewing an IPA, you can count on far more loss in the fermenter as hops absorb a ton of liquid during the process.

Kegging beer is relatively efficient, but bottling or canning introduces a huge amount of loss. You have to dump the fermenter or brite tank to make sure you get clear beer, then purge the lines going to the packaging equipment (to eliminate sanitizer and O2 content), then prime the packaging equipment and make sure the equipment gets cold enough that you're not filling your equipment with pure foam. Then during packaging, a tiny fraction frequently escapes the top of cans because of the way the dip tubes are designed, and if you have a jetter for bottling that'll introduce a small amount of loss too.

But the worst losses are when your equipment is old or lovely and unreliable, which means you'll get short fills every so often. If your equipment is having a really off day, you might have a shitload of short fills until you figure out what the problem is, especially if your beer is highly carbonated and you have a hard time controlling foam. If you're working small scale instead of large scale, your losses become more statistically substantial and you can expect the kind of losses Escape From Noise mentioned.

At my current employer, we typically have a 9BBL yield in the kettle after boil. After knockout into the fermenter, which leaves a huge amount of protein trub and hop material in the kettle, that goes down to 7.5BBL. For our regular beers, fermentation brings that down to 6.5-7BBL in the brite tank; dry-hopped beers drop that down to 6-5.5BBL. If we're kegging we get 95% of that since we lose a bit to the portion below the racking arm, but the times we've gone through a mobile canner we've lost a full 1BBL from that volume.

Good managers understand how and why those differences in yield happen and work to account for it; lovely managers just yell at people because anything less than 100% efficiency means "yOu'Re nOt dOiNg yOuR jOb!1".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The trick is to start inventing new types of effectiveness or yield measurements and pretend like they've always existed. By the time they figure out its not an industry standard measurement you've either had some incremental improvements to appease with instead or they've just moved on with the normal goldfish memory of a manager.

Only partly kidding. I once got to help set OEE for a new chemical unit as a junior engineer and the senior engineers explained the psychology in juicing the numbers one way or the other. If you aim high and miss it it just looks bad. If you aim low and exceed it, you now have an aggressive year on year improvement goal to keep up with.

The only winning move is not to play which is why I'm in IT consulting now and the metrics are entirely imaginary instead of mostly.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
We're trying to test some janky piece of poo poo component that really isn't the right technology for this application. OK, whatever, not my call. I get the component ready for test, meticulously set it up correctly, reinforce it so that it won't break under test and will survive shipping and installation at the customer for their testing.

Test doesn't work. Hmm what could be the problem? "Take it apart so that we know you set it up correctly."

Pull it all apart. Verify everything is 100% correct. Change nothing. Test it again.

"Wow it works this time! Oh also between the time it failed test and when you took it apart, we tested it again and it operated correctly but we just didn't bother to look at the results until now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Salami Surgeon posted:

We're trying to test some janky piece of poo poo component that really isn't the right technology for this application. OK, whatever, not my call. I get the component ready for test, meticulously set it up correctly, reinforce it so that it won't break under test and will survive shipping and installation at the customer for their testing.

Test doesn't work. Hmm what could be the problem? "Take it apart so that we know you set it up correctly."

Pull it all apart. Verify everything is 100% correct. Change nothing. Test it again.

"Wow it works this time! Oh also between the time it failed test and when you took it apart, we tested it again and it operated correctly but we just didn't bother to look at the results until now."

That's not a very good testing average. What's stopping the janky piece of poo poo component from failing again at the customer?