Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

he was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

S.J. posted:

he was right

Yeah, I'm not seeing the controversy here.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We had a cool thing a decade ago called Citizens United.

Citizens United Explained

Here's some fun stuff about it!

:shepface:

I also just saw that the Supreme Court will take another look at affirmative action.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, I'm not seeing the controversy here.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I also just saw that the Supreme Court will take another look at affirmative action.

The overturning of Roe set precedent for every instance of “settled law” to be re-litigated and overturned, as intended, with the bonus of continuing to erode public faith in government.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I saw yet another story about people sneaking expensive drugs into Halloween candy. On the news report the anchor very quickly said "There has never been a report of this happening in Rhode Island but..." then they cut to a cop saying how totally dangerous it is and that people buy edibles that come in packages that look like regular candy. Said cop also added it's highly unlikely BUT YOU SHOULD TOTALLY WATCH OUT THEY WANT TO GIVE YOUR KIDS FENTANYL. It reminds me of when the DARE officer use to tell us that drug dealers totally give out free samples to get you hooked on drugs.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

They're just using all the same dipshit arguments about it being "unfair" for decades. To everyone's shock and surprise.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah there's basically no other reason than to keep people afraid. I mean, I don't think it's some conspiracy or anything, just that people are incredibly stupid and reactionary. Also it gets views.

It's very unlikely that you'll die by a semi-truck hitting you while roller skating naked down I-94 the wrong way... but you need to remain alert.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah there's basically no other reason than to keep people afraid. I mean, I don't think it's some conspiracy or anything, just that people are incredibly stupid and reactionary. Also it gets views.

It's very unlikely that you'll die by a semi-truck hitting you while roller skating naked down I-94 the wrong way... but you need to remain alert.

Perhaps we should get ahead of the curve and ban the I-94, just in case

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

sebmojo posted:

Perhaps we should get ahead of the curve and ban the I-94, just in case

No. That literally divides my city from the county. Once you pass under the interstate it's loving farms and chud country almost immediately.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
I know I’m a couple pages late, but this poo poo is so in keeping with this thread.

Wikipedia posted:

SFGH is rare in that its emergency rooms do not have agreements in place with private health care insurance providers. Until 2019, privately insured patients were often billed the balance of their care, which could be sizable. This practice was changed after media attention regarding the hospital's billing practices.

Through early 2019, SFGH did not participate in any private health insurance networks and practiced balance billing. A Vox analysis (derived from a database of more than a thousand emergency room bills) characterized the hospital's billing practices as "aggressive" and "surprising": one privately insured patient arriving at the hospital after a bicycle accident was billed more than $20,000 for diagnostic scans and treatment for a broken arm; the bill was 12 times the Medicare billing rate.
Good god is it’s name on point…

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT_bNKBcalI The whole video is a roller coaster because of the grandma.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not going to watch that video but the comments are inspiring. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I'm not going to watch that video but the comments are inspiring. :)

Yeah it is actually worth a watch. The kids a hero and grannie seems delusional. https://mobile.twitter.com/makhno_fan/status/1586695131222122496

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 1, 2022

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

I saw yet another story about people sneaking expensive drugs into Halloween candy. On the news report the anchor very quickly said "There has never been a report of this happening in Rhode Island but..." then they cut to a cop saying how totally dangerous it is and that people buy edibles that come in packages that look like regular candy. Said cop also added it's highly unlikely BUT YOU SHOULD TOTALLY WATCH OUT THEY WANT TO GIVE YOUR KIDS FENTANYL. It reminds me of when the DARE officer use to tell us that drug dealers totally give out free samples to get you hooked on drugs.

They're just using all the same dipshit arguments about it being "unfair" for decades. To everyone's shock and surprise.

Ah good throwback thought to the DARE cop who showed us boards with all the different drugs taped to them, for easier identification, and how fun some were.

Then the firearms demonstration. Here is how you load and disarm a handgun. Managed not to shoot himself in the leg at least. But cool, now I know how to use a gun and what the best drugs are.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah it is actually worth a watch. The kids a hero and grannie seems delusional. https://mobile.twitter.com/makhno_fan/status/1586695131222122496

Too bad this wasn't Florida. The kid could have just said he was standing his ground.

The Butcher posted:

Ah good throwback thought to the DARE cop who showed us boards with all the different drugs taped to them, for easier identification, and how fun some were.

Then the firearms demonstration. Here is how you load and disarm a handgun. Managed not to shoot himself in the leg at least. But cool, now I know how to use a gun and what the best drugs are.

Was your DARE officer Nicholas Cage from Port of Call New Orleans?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Trenton represent!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That mother's a bitch for snitching on her kid. If my son ever my murders me , that's between my son and me. No one's talking to cops.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
you guys saw the behavioral problems, right? the fire lighting? kicked out of school?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

you guys saw the behavioral problems, right? the fire lighting? kicked out of school?

If I had to guess, being raised by a physically abusive Nazi is likely to make a kid have behavioral and emotional problems.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't read the article but the headline is super :911:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1587550146488844288

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

About two hours earlier, a 21-year-old man was blasted in the buttocks

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the article keeps calling the shootings being "blasted"? "he was blasted in the head" "he was blasted in the buttocks".

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

InsertPotPun posted:

the article keeps calling the shootings being "blasted"? "he was blasted in the head" "he was blasted in the buttocks".

You can only say "shot by gun" so many times before you decide to start spicing it up.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

InsertPotPun posted:

:colbert:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

classic trolley problem

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

classic trolley problem

Except the trolley tracks have been torn out and replaced by another lane for lifted pickup trucks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CPL593H posted:

There has only ever been one recorded case in the history of the entire US of a child being harmed by Halloween candy that was tampered with. His own dad laced his pixie stix with cyanide to collect a life insurance policy. There has never once, ever, in the entire country, been a report of a child being harmed by candy that a stranger tampered with, lmao.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

InsertPotPun posted:

It's the NY Post. I don't know much about them but I'm pretty sure they are basically a right wing tabloid. Not very credible or good journalism.

Any time I can re-post Danny Devito I will.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

deep dish peat moss posted:

There has only ever been one recorded case in the history of the entire US of a child being harmed by Halloween candy that was tampered with. His own dad laced his pixie stix with cyanide to collect a life insurance policy. There has never once, ever, in the entire country, been a report of a child being harmed by candy that a stranger tampered with, lmao.

Which in its own way is pretty fantastical. Not a single looney has decided to give this thing they keep talking about a try.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

CPL593H posted:

All the people who run the country are bought and sold by corporate interests who also hire a bunch of people to scream fascist talking points at deliberately uneducated and willfully ignorant audiences all day.

Why you trying to remind me of highschool.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

deep dish peat moss posted:

Im pretty sure the dad was also on meth. I remember reading about this when I wanted to dig deeper into this phenomena. I have always wondered if this wasn't a diliberate attack on parents making candies, popcorn balls, and brownies and whatnot in order for candy companies to sell more candy. I used to really favor a popcorn ball on halloween.

waiit there was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ThFpK92qI

and then this

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/galion-father-charged-after-child-tests-positive-for-methamphetamine

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 2, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Deliberate propaganda to make fun sized candy acceptable

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't want to read the article because I want to maintain my mental image of the cops chasing him on bikes while dual wielding pistols like the lady at the end of Hot Fuzz.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Deliberate propaganda to make fun sized candy acceptable

I always thought calling tiny candy bars "Fun Sized" is bullshit. Fun sized would be if it was unusually large. That's much more of a novelty than just giving someone a third of a candy bar.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Big load of :smith: here...some more 911 calls from Uvalde have been released.

CNN posted:

CNN obtained the calls from a source and is using excerpts with the approval of Khloie’s parents. CNN also informed families who lost people in the massacre that this story was coming.

“Please get help. I don’t wanna die. My teacher is dead. Oh, my God.”

The dispatcher sends out the message to the dozens, soon to be hundreds of law enforcement officers swarming to the school in Uvalde, Texas.

It’s more than 30 minutes since the teenager entered the school and shot his way into classrooms 111 and 112.

And it takes 40 more minutes from Khloie giving details to authorities until a strike team burst into the room, challenging the gunman at 12:50 p.m.

“I need help … please. Have y’all captured the person?” the fourth grader asks at 12:12 p.m.
And a few minutes later, “You want me to open the door now?”

Time and again Khloie is told by the dispatcher to stay quiet, to keep her terrified and injured friends quiet, and to wait.

“I’m telling everyone to be quiet but nobody is listening to me,” she tells the operator. “I understand what to do in these situations. My dad taught me when I was a little girl. Send help.” She tells the 911 operator that her teacher – Eva Mireles – is alive but has been shot and asks for an ambulance at 12:15 p.m.

Outside, a final total of 376 armed law enforcement personnel are gathering.

Inside the classroom, Khloie starts her third call to 911.

“Can you tell the police to come to my room?” she asks. And again, minutes later, “Can you send a policeman in now, please?” She is told to stay quiet, to keep her classmates – some apparently moaning in pain – quiet, and wait. She said to the dispatcher she thought she heard police in the hallway and was again advised to stay quiet.

Later, Khloie tells police how she was using her teacher’s phone, how she knew how to make the emergency call without having to unlock the phone as it was like her dad’s.

She also told of how she had time to try to help her friends while the gunman was in the adjoining classroom, where he killed all the students and wounded the teacher.
“I stood up to look for Band-Aids ‘cause my friend had a big cut.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/us/uvalde-911-classroom-call-delay

naem
May 29, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Big load of :smith: here...some more 911 calls from Uvalde have been released.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/us/uvalde-911-classroom-call-delay

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Then you can just ggiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt out! There's the door!

Oh wait, you're not from here? well GOOD! We don't want no liberal foreigners here anyway!

I'm an American and I left 5 years ago to go live abroad for the long-term in a different country. Every time people ask me why I haven't been back to visit all this time or if I miss not being in America, I just ask them back "Why would I? Every time I turn around, there's just another reason not to go back."

The half of states allowing for permitless carry thing is utter insanity to me. :psyduck:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I voted yesterday and "Do you want Wisconsin to be a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State?" was on the ballot.

Not excited to see how that one goes.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

"Do you want Wisconsin to be a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State?"

What the gently caress does that even mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bondematt posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean

I didn't know what it was but I assumed it was some dumb gun protection bullshit. I looked it up now.

It is.

quote:

Second Amendment sanctuary, also known as a gun sanctuary, refers to states, counties, or localities in the United States that have adopted laws or resolutions to prohibit or impede the enforcement of certain gun control measures which are perceived to violate the Second Amendment, such as universal gun background checks, high capacity magazine bans, assault weapon bans, red flag laws, etc.[1][2]

That's not good.

At all.