Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's not a very good testing average. What's stopping the janky piece of poo poo component from failing again at the customer?

I don't understand what you're talking about. We tested it and it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Salami Surgeon posted:

I don't understand what you're talking about. We tested it and it works.

intermittent failure is scarier than definite failure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

If you aim high and miss it it just looks bad it's because you're under staffed/funded and need more funding. If you aim low and exceed it, you now have an aggressive year on year improvement goal to keep up with need more funding to retain the staff who exceeded expectations.

If you're exactly on budget you need more money to account for inflation and improvements.

:colbert:

LOL

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Good general plan but capital intensive manufacturing budget and staffing are 1-3 levels above the decision making level of an operations and maintenance engineering stable and their immediate bosses. The budget and staffing were set 3 years ago after piloting; you get $5000, a copy of Minitab and a McMaster Carr catalogue and your SMART goal is to save 3x your salary annually compared to that predetermined budget. We might think about a bonus if you hit 5x.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tarkus posted:

intermittent failure is scarier than definite failure.

:thejoke:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have been requested to host more parties on company money because we have too much party budget going unspent.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I have been requested to host more parties on company money because we have too much party budget going unspent.

Party at Barudak's place! I'll bring the beer! Sounds like a few more of you will too!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Barudak posted:

I dunno, a party sounds an awful lot like a sales event. What if someone walks into one of these parties and asks you if they can buy your product? Are you sure that's a risk you can take?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Probably figure out a way to steal or directly benefit from the party budget

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Start a party hosting company?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

tactlessbastard posted:

Two weeks ago the palletizer was drat sure it had a pallet with 1 tier of liquor on it so when it indexed into the position to catch tier 2, it annihilated the three tiers that were on the pallet.

And I think it was in this thread where I previously described an IT update that physically crashed a crane that was carrying a whole pallet of gin.

Can only imagine this was the response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhI5cQJD4m8

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

A case of expensive whiskey, $10 cake in the breakroom, the whisky is not served. Invoice states 'staff appreciation'.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Thats just smart thinkin.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

God. Hand labeling is the worst!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Escape From Noise posted:

Real ultimate power!!!

I want to buy this shirt and wear it to a forklift training class.

My shirt has people asking a lot of questions about what I had been doing before forklift training class.

E: To be clear, I have never knocked a lathe off its stand by backing into it with a forklift. I don’t drive the forklift at work. Do the math on that one, thread.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 2, 2022

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Escape From Noise posted:

I do get the impression that running a small restaurant or bar here in Japan is maybe not quite as difficult as it is in the US. I think there are some small places available to rent on the first floor of apartment buildings and stuff, depending on the neighborhood. There are definitely a few places around me that are just kind of open whenever the owner feels like it and they aren't run by super wealthy people as far as I can tell. That said I absolutely have no interest in opening a restaurant.

Japan has better laws regarding real estate and rental that incentivize owners to either make use of their property or rent to someone who will. In the US, everything's owned by gigantic real estate corporations and developers who purposefully squeeze the market because they're able to use even vacant real estate as an investment in a way that wouldn't be profitable elsewhere.

The costs get passed on to their tenants, who have to operate on extremely tight margins due outrageous property values and higher food prices. This keeps restaurant prices high so people don't eat out as often here, and that only exacerbates the problem. We still have casual little places like you described, but at least in my city they've been disappearing for the past fifteen years at a steadily increasing rate.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 2, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

worm girl posted:

Japan has better laws regarding real estate and rental that incentivize owners to either make use of their property or rent to someone who will. In the US, everything's owned by gigantic real estate corporations and developers who purposefully squeeze the market because they're able to use even vacant real estate as an investment in a way that wouldn't be profitable elsewhere.

The costs get passed on to their tenants, who have to operate on extremely tight margins due outrageous property values and higher food prices. This keeps restaurant prices high so people don't eat out as often here, and that only exacerbates the problem. We still have casual little places like you described, but at least in my city they've been disappearing for the past fifteen years at a steadily increasing rate.

I think getting your liquor serving license here is also super easy. I know a couple who own a small coffee rosters. They were saying that when they were getting their licensing to serve coffee and pastries the guy doing their paperwork asked them if they wanted a liquor serving license and they said they were thinking they'd get it later. He advised them to apply at the beginning because it'd be easier and was something like less than a hundred bucks if I remember correctly. It was definitely cheap. I was surprised but it made sense when I thought about it because there are TONS of tiny restaurant/bars around this country run by some old couple or just one person that are just maybe a counter with maybe 10 seats, a few burners or griddles, and maybe a karaoke machine and they always serve beer and whiskey at least. A lot of times it's draught beer too.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
It is much easier to maintain a stable middle class if you make it affordable for normal people to do business. My partner and I have been dreaming about moving out there just because it'd be nice to go somewhere that didn't feel like loving Robocop.

edit: and just to head it off at the pass: no this isnt some weeb poo poo, we have professional connections and speak the language.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 2, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

https://www.ezcater.com/

I do catering for the classes I teach. And I use that site, which gives me kickbacks in the form of Amazon gift cards.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Me by email: Hey, I can’t complete this process because this small section is out of compliance. Here’s the new policy - if you can give it a quick rewrite I can get it fixed before the deadline.

Other person: *IMMEDIATE PHONE CALL AND IM* HEY DO YOU HAVE A SECOND

I HATE people who call me out of the blue after I send them an email. I’m doing my job by telling you this is WRONG, and you can reply via email telling me and your boss if you don’t care, but I’m not publishing completely wrong information without a paper trail.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 2, 2022

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

ChickenDoodle posted:

Me by email: Hey, I can’t complete this process because this small section is out of compliance. Here’s the new policy - if you can give it a quick rewrite I can get it fixed before the deadline.

Other person: *IMMEDIATE PHONE CALL AND IM* HEY DO YOU HAVE A SECOND

I HATE people who call me out of the blue after I send them an email. I’m doing my job by telling you this is WRONG, and you can reply via email telling me and your boss if you don’t care, but I’m not publishing completely wrong information without a paper trail.

I hate coworkers who can't get anything done without a meeting. I always give them a "Sure! How's tomorrow at 3pm for you?" and inevitably it gets resolved before then anyway

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Them: Hi.

Me: Hello.

Them: *almost ten minutes of typing what they need me for, interspersed with long periods of no activity.*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Them: *almost ten minutes of typing what they need me for, interspersed with long periods of no activity.*

:bang:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The ONLY reason I call people instead of email them is because people are morons or have bad reading comprehension skill or both and inevitably a simple email will get a totally unrelated answer.

For example, this recent email exchange.

Me: hey, billing department, this stuff was billed wrong. Can you fix it or is there a special process for government customers?

Billing: these are all denied, we don’t re-bill item XXXXX.

Me: hey billing department, I know you don’t rebill item XXXXX, the list i sent is all item YYYYY. Please look at the properly formatted excel spreadsheet I sent. And again - is there a special rebill process for government customers?

Billing: As stated prior, none of these were rebilled, we don’t rebill item XXXXX. To make a rebill request for government customers please email: governmentrebill@company.com.

Like, poo poo - if I had a phone number to call I could have gotten that answer instead of taking five business days of back and forth for an (incorrect) answer.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

See that makes sense. But I’m the one who has to double check that documents are correct and within policy, so when I tell you this, you better have a drat good reason for not updating it. And that reason should be written down.

I also just hate it when people call me period but it’s worse when it’s immediately after an email - it’s always because they don’t like what I have to say but they want it off record. No. All I want is a simple “ok here it is” or a “no please bypass and we’ll fix later”.

Breetai posted:

Also the worst. Get on with it!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Breetai posted:

Big key here is to not reply at all until they send a proper message.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

withoutclass posted:

Or just keep doing what you were doing until they send a proper message?

You don't have to sit there waiting for the whole.message to come through.

The real pro move is to wait a few moments and then ask how they are. You might be able to get them to delete their whole message and then they have to re-type it, wasting minutes on both ends of the conversation

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The ultimate “hello” move is to send it to someone with a 12 hour time difference. It’s 3 in the morning here my dude, my computer ain’t even on.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

Or just keep doing what you were doing until they send a proper message?

You don't have to sit there waiting for the whole.message to come through.

The real pro move is to wait a few moments and then ask how they are. You might be able to get them to delete their whole message and then they have to re-type it, wasting minutes on both ends of the conversation

Ah yea that's what I meant to imply. Not that you'd actively wait for them to send another one hah.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't always mind meetings or direct phone calls and tend to look at those as the next logical step when poo poo gets too complicated and convoluted to really resolve with text messages and emails, which happens.

Like, even just in my day to day life when I start getting into 10+ long text or email conversations that are paragraphs long and my phone explodes, often I realize that a simple actual conversation could clear it up easier. Same with a meeting when there's just too much cross talk and CC'ing everybody with attachments and links flying all over the place. Sometimes it's more efficient to get all those folks in one room and discuss things verbally.

Stuff can get distorted and miscommunicated easily when you've got 10 or 15 people trying to figure poo poo out and, like someone else pointed out, for as much as we like texts and emails, many MANY people are really loving terrible writers and also obviously don't proof read what they send either.

I've been amazed throughout my career how many people made it to upper management who lack very basic grammar skills and cannot articulate themselves at all with the written word. Often, it makes thing worse when they try.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Like, poo poo - if I had a phone number to call I could have gotten that answer instead of taking five business days of back and forth for an (incorrect) answer.

I usually hate making phone calls but but if a five minute call can head off a never ending parade of “as per my last email” yeah I’m picking up the phone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
*As per my next email*

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Outrail posted:

*As per my next email*

angrily shouted down the phone at whoever was unlucky enough to answer

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Them: "Hi"
Me: *set status to Appear Away*

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Them: Hi
You: Okay, can you action that by EOD?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Every "Hi" I get, I just Hide it in Teams without even getting it registered as read because A) Just loving say what you want, this isn't an actual conversation, and B) 90% of the time, it's someone asking for help on something they didn't put in a ticket for and are just trying to shortcut the process.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dumb poo poo you just did at work: Forgot to translate radius->diameter on one line of CNC code. Instead of sending the tool .025” away from the workpiece, I sent it .125” toward the center. At 100 inches per minute.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Something something screw-up

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Sales person: I'm trying to edit a contact in crm and it isn't saving, thanks!

Me: please let me know which account, which contact and what data you're trying to enter, thanks.

Sales person: I'm just trying to change a field and it doesn't save!!

Me: yes I understand. please give me the requested detail so I can troubleshoot.

Sales person manager: she can't save a contact, thanks.

Me: (deletes email chain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gently caress da CRM

That would suck working anywhere with such a sophisticated CRM there's dedicated computer janitors for it. Do they get to use the same facilities as the sales people?

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 3, 2022