Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Lammasu posted:

I am convinced CR is still coked up and firmly in charge. No one else would suggest RPG stats after saying it will all be player skill based for 10 years.

How fast did the community whiplash from RPG STATS BAD to RPG STATS GOOD after the announcement?

Wasn't that a big selling point? No dumb stats, just you?

E: Ah gently caress, taxxe time, my catte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wait they added stats?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CrispScalyHumpbackwhale-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
It was a big selling point. In fact if I recall it was a major one for Chris where he specifically indicated that highly skilled players in less capable ships/equipped would be able to beat a lesser skilled player with better equipment or space ships.

The switch to a skill system for any pieces of the game removes the whole "dark souls" element, which was also a selling point, and slowly begins the migration towards a more generic experience.

It's possible that after all these years of failure, certain people know that the best way to run an mmo is to have it be dice/skill based so the servers can just roll a dice to see if you hit your target instead of doing these complicated physics math to determine hits on a bunch of fast moving entities across the internet all fighting each other at different latency and lag amounts.

Plus how do you be a better doctor? Or miner? Is it fair to just play the golf game and a stupid newbie pops in and can excavate the same ore from a rock that somebody dedicating decades of their life, 8 hours a day, should?

The best way to make sure that you have "better" player characters is to give them skills so they can get more numbers out of whatever they are doing than a new player.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The lack of a skill system was also justification for the "pay to win" system for why players could buy whatever ships they wanted.

The people who were hammering arena commander 24/7 were determined to make their mediocre purchase be better, and that their massive skills would overtake the whales easily. It was their Han Solo dream.

Having skills will effectively erase that possibility. Your higher skilled player with worse stats will never beat a better ship and a worse player with the same or better stats.

Once cig inevitably starts to sell "skill packs", it will be an amazing day for all the dreamboat Han Solo types who dreamed of taking on the imperial army and riding through fire like experts, because now it will be a dice roll and maybe a modifier based on how close you are when you hit fire and the ship you're shooting is under the reticle by some percentage.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wait they added stats?

This is Star Citizen, pal. Nothing has or will be added, it's all just announcements of intentions of intermediate steps towards plans for adding things; actually doing things is honestly more than the engine can support at this point.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mellow_ posted:

How fast did the community whiplash from RPG STATS BAD to RPG STATS GOOD after the announcement?

Stats like an RPG was always the plan, Chris obviously coded for this from the very inception of the project; any information you’ve heard to the contrary is refundian fudster white noise directed by the goons and butthurt snowflakes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

The more Kickstarters I see the more I think stretch goals are a negative feature. I've bought books on Kickstarter and they arrive surrounded by a pile of crap I never asked for (stickers, badges, pins etc) that just goes straight in the bin. I've seen Kickstarter creators completely screw over themselves, their project and their backers by getting excited and making a stretch goal that makes the entire project unprofitable. (EG: Oh wow, people love my book! I'll make a stretch goal to make it a hardcover instead of a softcover! Oh no! Now shipping costs twice as much and what was a profitable project is now hosed into a cocked hat!)

I don't think anyone buys or increases their pledge for stretch goals, I think they're just this weird minefield that people feel obliged to tiptoe around. The smart thing to do is to not use it, or only to make "stretch goals" - goals you were always gonna do anyway and are confident you can hit the numbers to fulfil, in order to satisfy a hypothetical person who demands stretch goals.

Sometimes the stretch goals are "we would need this much more to be financially able to make a DLC." That seems to work out alright. I loved Zubmariner in Sunless Sea.

Actually, I suppose that could work fine for extra game features too, but you'd have to know how much you need to finance what you're making. When you're just making poo poo up, it's really different.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Give them some credit for hitting the most important stretch goals .....

Sandi's photo with real Hollywood actors ---- Check

Research trip around the Mediterranean on a yacht to inspire poc-gen landscapes ----- Check

4.1 million dollar house in Hollywood ---- Check

First class air travel so "the backers will never now" ----- Check

Becoming a vitamin enriched director of Hollywood talent ----- Check

Selling off share in a company that was made with backers money to enrich yourself ----- Check

Praying on gullible people to form your own cult ----- Check

Absolving oneself of any wrong doing ----- Check

LARPing a successful game designer with studios around the world ---- Check

Being named Something Awful's "Sexiest Bear of the Year" 3 years running ----- Check

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Kosumo posted:

Being named Something Awful's "Sexiest Bear of the Year" 3 years running ----- Check

Wait, why just three!? Who won the other years!?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

He’s been neck and neck with David Harbour for the past decade.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Sorry folks, I was bored soooo... here's my idea for Chris, Images are NSFW cuz I'm a degenerate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDRIS PES

The Idris PES (short for Penile Enhancement System) is only for true admirers of the BDSSE.
It forgoes the standard ship-to-ship gun to mount a larger than life embodiment of your pledge efforts, see below.

No matter what gameplay loop you love most, be it taking screenshots during a sunset, taking part in a ship meet with fellow investors or delivering transphobic insults to a needy user the Idris PES ensures you'll be doing it in style.
Idris PES owners know that a spaceship is more than a place, it is a statement of one's value in society both ingame and in real life: it's a tangible token of the self-made man you truly are.

And look at this beauty, isn't it perfect!? Can you hear the call? Will you answer it?!

Forget those colored alien ships, the Idris PES is a symbol of racial purity that few can truly appreciate, and that makes its owners members of a more exclusive klan.

Not enough for you? It comes with LTI and, for the first time ever in a ship, instant claim timer to ensure no propaganda spewing freak can ruin your day.
It also sports dozens of cutting edge AI blades so that you don't need a nosey crew around and a spacious cargo hold with 20 slaver pods ready to go: that way you can enjoy your hobbies right away once the game is released, no grinding needed, unless it's with your slaves!

Is this the biggest ship? No.
Is this the best ship? Absolutely!

But beware! The Idris PES will only be available in a VERY limited sale of 30 ships, all numbered from 1 to 30 and personally signed with a lipstick print by each member of the Chairman's Club Board of Trustees.
So hurry and take what is rightfully yours!

Be the BEST! :lesnick:
:lesnick: Buy a PES!

Disclamer. The Idris PES is in concept and thus being built and tested for implementation in-game. But you are not a quitter.
It also has no loaner, because you're not the kind of man that'd settle for less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 2, 2022

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

The Titanic posted:

It was a big selling point. In fact if I recall it was a major one for Chris where he specifically indicated that highly skilled players in less capable ships/equipped would be able to beat a lesser skilled player with better equipment or space ships.

The switch to a skill system for any pieces of the game removes the whole "dark souls" element, which was also a selling point, and slowly begins the migration towards a more generic experience.

It's possible that after all these years of failure, certain people know that the best way to run an mmo is to have it be dice/skill based so the servers can just roll a dice to see if you hit your target instead of doing these complicated physics math to determine hits on a bunch of fast moving entities across the internet all fighting each other at different latency and lag amounts.

Plus how do you be a better doctor? Or miner? Is it fair to just play the golf game and a stupid newbie pops in and can excavate the same ore from a rock that somebody dedicating decades of their life, 8 hours a day, should?

The best way to make sure that you have "better" player characters is to give them skills so they can get more numbers out of whatever they are doing than a new player.

It took them way longer to realize this than I thought it would. Being more skilled and thus better at X thing works in real life because..it's real. Nobody can make a game with (theoretically) 50 different professions and have them all be detailed enough that actual skill makes a significant impact after a certain point. You would somehow have to make it so that someone who has been playing the game and salvaging for 3 years can use their actual physical skills of being better at salvaging to get more salvage than someone who started a month ago. You can try and use equipment as a proxy for skill but this is easily upended by someone new being part of an org and getting handed the best gear at the beginning.

At best you make a little minigame that could take a few weeks to master and it will end up being some weird abstraction that depends on reaction time and physical ability. Not much fidelity there.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Trilobite posted:

This is Star Citizen, pal. Nothing has or will be added, it's all just announcements of intentions of intermediate steps towards plans for adding things; actually doing things is honestly more than the engine can support at this point.

In Star Citizen's case we can call this a (lack of) Xenos Paradox.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sorry folks, I was bored soooo... here's my idea for Chris, Images are NSFW cuz I'm a degenerate.

IDRIS PES

The Idris PES (short for Penile Enhancement System) is only for true admirers of the BDSSE.
It forgoes the standard ship-to-ship gun to mount a larger than life embodiment of your pledge efforts, see below.

No matter what gameplay loop you love most, be it taking screenshots during a sunset, taking part in a ship meet with fellow investors or delivering transphobic insults to a needy user the Idris PES ensures you'll be doing it in style.
Idris PES owners know that a spaceship is more than a place, it is a statement of one's value in society both ingame and in real life: it's a tangible token of the self-made man you truly are.

And look at this beauty, isn't it perfect!? Can you hear the call? Will you answer it?!

Forget those colored alien ships, the Idris PES is a symbol of racial purity that few can truly appreciate, and that makes its owners members of a more exclusive klan.

Not enough for you? It comes with LTI and, for the first time ever in a ship, instant claim timer to ensure no propaganda spewing freak can ruin your day.
It also sports dozens of cutting edge AI blades so that you don't need a nosey crew around and a spacious cargo hold with 20 slaver pods ready to go: that way you can enjoy your hobbies right away once the game is released, no grinding needed, unless it's with your slaves!

Is this the biggest ship? No.
Is this the best ship? Absolutely!

But beware! The Idris PES will only be available in a VERY limited sale of 30 ships, all numbered from 1 to 30 and personally signed with a lipstick print by each member of the Chairman's Club Board of Trustees.
So hurry and take what is rightfully yours!

Be the BEST! :lesnick:
:lesnick: Buy a PES!

Disclamer. The Idris PES is in concept and thus being built and tested for implementation in-game. But you are not a quitter.
It also has no loaner, because you're not the kind of man that'd settle for less.

:lol:

Buy one today from Space Bad Dragon industries, where our ships pound above their weight, according to our ceo Future Space Chuck Tingle.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
RSI (repetitive Splorch injury)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

It took them way longer to realize this than I thought it would. Being more skilled and thus better at X thing works in real life because..it's real. Nobody can make a game with (theoretically) 50 different professions and have them all be detailed enough that actual skill makes a significant impact after a certain point. You would somehow have to make it so that someone who has been playing the game and salvaging for 3 years can use their actual physical skills of being better at salvaging to get more salvage than someone who started a month ago. You can try and use equipment as a proxy for skill but this is easily upended by someone new being part of an org and getting handed the best gear at the beginning.

At best you make a little minigame that could take a few weeks to master and it will end up being some weird abstraction that depends on reaction time and physical ability. Not much fidelity there.

If me role playing a doctor doesn't make me any better than you role playing a marine because we both have a med pack and click "use" and it heals exactly the same... what's the point?

The only way for cig to do professions is to also do skills.

But it's all corny and dumb and goes against everything cig said they wanted to make since day 0. But who cares. This is Chris' favorite game he always wanted to play. Obviously he doesn't have a clue what that means. But somewhere in there just say "more deadly than cod" and "dark souls" somehow and I guess you're good to go. Maybe make a reminisce reminder of wing commander or something too.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 2, 2022

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Torquemada posted:

RSI (repetitive Splorch injury)

RSI

Rubes Splurging Income
or
Really Spending Irresponsibly

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Star Citizens: "keep your lovely rainbow ships away from our game!"

Also Star Citizens: "wow that new Xi'an flair armor looks great!"

The armor:

The helmet is an evolution of the bagman costume basically, it's fully fogged up!

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 2, 2022

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
:lol:

So corny and goofy.

Way to try to make dumb stuff that looks like it came out of a worse version of Dragon Age from 15 years ago. :dumb:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you're CIG why even announce you're going to do a stat system anyways? It's likely years away and will probably change or be dropped before it ever sees the light of day, so all they've done is kicked up a bunch of controversy over a very vague idea.

I guess they're really committed to the "most open development" thing, well except for like the other 90% of the time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

If you're CIG why even announce you're going to do a stat system anyways? It's likely years away and will probably change or be dropped before it ever sees the light of day, so all they've done is kicked up a bunch of controversy over a very vague idea.

I guess they're really committed to the "most open development" thing, well except for like the other 90% of the time.

Because it falls perfectly in line with how they do "development".

The majority of their updates are about what they're starting to think about considering maybe doing and how it's the groundwork for all these other critical path pieces.

But then suddenly there's like 8 pages on bedsheet deformation or mess hall AI about how an npc can show upset when it watches another npc lose an arcade game.

It's all bone headed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The armor:

I don't hate this armor, at least it's an aesthetic. But it's not very high quality, and those are just lovely recolors.

like they (supposedly) put all this work into developing these alien cultures, if they're gonna do this poo poo they should be doing both visual and textual storytelling. 'this is Xi'an spacer armor, almost unchanged for centuries.' *slightly fancier armor with different color pattern* 'Xi'an veteran armor, also used by officers. ' *fancy armor with magnificent hat* 'Xi'an free captain armor. Free captains exist outside the usual charter system, but still must earn their armor by blah blah'

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It looks like three people playing the same class in Destiny 2

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The armor:

The helmet is an evolution of the bagman costume basically, it's fully fogged up!

Which ones are the Xi'an? The Chinese turtle people?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
CIG made more 3D models. Woop-de-fuckin-do

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Virtual Captain posted:

CIG made more 3D models. Woop-de-fuckin-do

‘Dance with the one that brung you’ is the expression that springs to mind.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
And why leave the visor foggy by default? We will miss all those glorious face movements brough by FOIP

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

That’s about how long ago pgabz suggested we start shooping bears with crobblers face on them and the meme was born

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Squadron 42 Monthly Report

Good news! CIG are taking concrete steps towards talking about doing something...

quote:

Finally, AI Features took the first steps towards implementing ‘buddy AI’ that will support gameplay where the player is accompanied by one or more characters. To begin with, they made a rapid prototype featuring some of the functionality that might be required to generate conversations about what the final form of this would be and how it will fit into gameplay.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m really worried that my next $1000 spaceship buying spree won’t conform to the lore.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The whole thing is mad as usual. Lots of talk about eating behaviours, box interactions, and SQ42 prototypes.

Sounds like they're going to mocap lots of new stuff for the new skill system too...

quote:

Finally, a three-day mocap shoot was done on the new Manchester stage focusing on stealth takedowns and mastery levels

I wonder which came first? The fabulous studio, or the fabulous feature creep?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just read through the sq54 update.

If they wanted to retain a shred of credibility that any of this nonsense was real they'd release some sort of teaser video.

But instead we get walls of pisscat vomit.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I’m really worried that my next $1000 spaceship buying spree won’t conform to the lore.

Let's see.

Cig makes money.

Cig conforms to "lore".

Cig makes money.

Cig conforms to "lore".

Gee I wonder which cig will pick.

Heck, why don't you go all out and wear the new cig "medieval warrior" armor and "zombie" or "hello Kitty" helmet with your super clever outfit.

Then you can bunny hop down the row of ships in your abandoned server while shouting "I oppose drake for being here!" in-lore to the two NPCs in the corner, one of whom is doing the "inspect this thing critically" to a blank wall while the other t-poses on the table she's standing on.

That'll really hit cig right in their lore heart and prove to them how good you are at being a shepherd of lore in a game where Chris Roberts self-inserted himself to discover faster than light travel or something, despite the real life version not even able to understand how gravity works.

You got this, star buddy. :j:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Pixelate posted:

Good news! CIG are taking concrete steps towards talking about doing something...

Early days!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

stats? 2077 better watch out this is the true cyberpunk experience.

https://i.imgur.com/IHunDUT.mp4

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Well previous to the last three years running that he's won he was considered in eligible due to his use of sex enhancing vitamins, it was the pointed out that the use of such vitamins is what makes a truly sexy sexy bear and the rule was changed to exclude those who where not using vitamins.:iiasb:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Pixelate posted:

What loving word salad did I just read?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dr.Smasher posted:

What loving word salad did I just read?
someone fed their AI some old SQ42-related texts and now it produces this every month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

quote:

Finally, AI Features took the first steps towards implementing ‘buddy AI’ that will support gameplay where the player is accompanied by one or more characters. To begin with, they made a rapid prototype featuring some of the functionality that might be required to generate conversations about what the final form of this would be and how it will fit into gameplay.

First steps!

code:

void BuddyAI() {
   // TODO
   // new Buddy() 
}