Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PS+ has always been well worth it for me. Premium was more than worth it for me but I don’t know if I’ll stay at this tier for more than a year or two once I get through the games I want to play on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Space jam 2 was a movie where LeBron slam dunked Don Cheadle so hard he became an NFT

I thought he was just an algorithm

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: there was a POST here, it’s gone now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dim Ryan needs to start spending some more money on marketing if the Sony faithful of the thread have turned their backs on PS+ !

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spent it all on that god of war ad

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m actually surprised Gamepass is profitable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure that it is

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Arist posted:

I'm not sure that it is
https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/26/23425029/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-profitable-revenues

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, then I agree that it doesn't make sense

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Gamepass is profitable having made 1/4 of the cost of Bethesda in a year.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Man, Echoes of the Eye is really loving boring. Just not feeling it at all compared to the base game. Tedious to the extreme.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How far did you get in it? A lot of people got rubbed the wrong way by the late-stage NPC stealth challenges but the initial bit with discovering and exploring the ringworld is pretty universally beloved

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

How far did you get in it? A lot of people got rubbed the wrong way by the late-stage NPC stealth challenges but the initial bit with discovering and exploring the ringworld is pretty universally beloved

Yeah the initial exploration was great. Now I'm just skulking around in the dream(?) places, not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm supposed to be going and I can't really be bothered to continue. I had to look up how to even get to that point because I mistakenly came to the initial conclusion that I needed to explore the ringworld to find pieces to make my own special lantern.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The question will always remain is it profitable because of some Silicon Valley accounting bullshit where the column in the C-suite slide deck labelled “Game Pass Revenue” is taller than the column labelled “Game Pass Expenses” and there’s a third mystery column labelled “Definitely Not Game Pass Expenses Ignore This Column” that towers over them both, or is it actually profitable.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have PS+ poor tier until June 2023 from cheap sub cards. Haven't bought one this summer of play and don't plan to. Too many games I already don't play on there.

My time is limited, if I want to play something, I just buy it.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 2, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
TLoU II suffers from being:

1. A triple A production with a profound insecurity about the fact that it is a game.

2. Existing as a vehicle for controversy.

3. Aiming far higher than its writing chops and saying nothing profound as a result.

Great game, good combat, a trailblazer in accessibility, extremely pointed attention to detail, good voice acting, and a load of fun to play moment to moment.

But hamstrung and failing, when all is said and done, to drive the medium forward in any meaningful way. That wouldn’t matter, except that ND clearly wanted it to be exemplary.

People bending themselves into knots to be validated about the value of TLoU II give me a real chuckle, because it’s little better than a grim splatfest straining to be profound with every ounce of its weight. That self-consciousness is evident in the statement, restatement, re-restatement of its themes, in the hilarious flailing attempts at profundity with NPCs and their dogs, with an “edgy” oh wait, “realistic” sex scene that didn’t need to be there, with a bait and switch that people love to argue about, but which, while cool, was only meant to pad playtime—successfully and enjoyably, mind—with the dumbest characters imaginable flinging themselves harder and harder at revenge long after we got the point, with a humiliatingly idiotic final act that pretends it’s not a murder playground when it most assuredly is, and with a “redemption” displayed in such gratuitous detail after the fact. Who honestly believes there’s anything of value in that finale? Pulling the rug out and leaving it open to interpretation, twice over I might add, serves only to allow ND to abdicate any narrative responsibility, in short, to have something definitive to say. It’s a lot of smoke and well-polished mirrors so we can all argue. Meanwhile, here comes the TV show. Lol.

And I still loved every second of it, fwiw.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bows1 posted:

I thought he was just an algorithm

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

TLoU II suffers from being:

1. A triple A production with a profound insecurity about the fact that it is a game.

2. Existing as a vehicle for controversy.

3. Aiming far higher than its writing chops and saying nothing profound as a result.

Great game, good combat, a trailblazer in accessibility, extremely pointed attention to detail, good voice acting, and a load of fun to play moment to moment.

But hamstrung and failing, when all is said and done, to drive the medium forward in any meaningful way. That wouldn’t matter, except that ND clearly wanted it to be exemplary.

People bending themselves into knots to be validated about the value of TLoU II give me a real chuckle, because it’s little better than a grim splatfest straining to be profound with every ounce of its weight. That self-consciousness is evident in the statement, restatement, re-restatement of its themes, in the hilarious flailing attempts at profundity with NPCs and their dogs, with an “edgy” oh wait, “realistic” sex scene that didn’t need to be there, with a bait and switch that people love to argue about, but which, while cool, was only meant to pad playtime—successfully and enjoyably, mind—with the dumbest characters imaginable flinging themselves harder and harder at revenge long after we got the point, with a humiliatingly idiotic final act that pretends it’s not a murder playground when it most assuredly is, and with a “redemption” displayed in such gratuitous detail after the fact. Who honestly believes there’s anything of value in that finale? Pulling the rug out and leaving it open to interpretation, twice over I might add, serves only to allow ND to abdicate any narrative responsibility, in short, to have something definitive to say. It’s a lot of smoke and well-polished mirrors so we can all argue. Meanwhile, here comes the TV show. Lol.

And I still loved every second of it, fwiw.
Yeah it kicks rear end. That big paragraph was a bit too long for me to bother but I'll assume it wasn't a bunch of garbage that could've been scraped off reddit

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
hmm i bought tlou over 4 years ago maybe i should get around to playing it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love when people talk like that about TLOU2’s story like they usually just read Dovstoyesky and stuff but decided to lower themselves to the insipidness of a video game story

It’s actually extremely good at telling the story it wants to tell, and has plenty of excellent writing and follows the theme well, but people pretend it’s dumb as a bag of rocks rather than a good depiction with a solid amount of nuance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Truly do not get complaining about the sex scene as some ridiculously indulgent thing. It cuts away in like two seconds.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

butt dickus posted:

hmm i bought tlou over 4 years ago maybe i should get around to playing it

It’s fun OP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't agree with a lot of that post but I do agree that the Rattlers segment feels like it belongs in a different and less pretentious game

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TLOU2 was a lengthy single player campaign with top of the genre gameplay and sick production value and a propulsive story that kept me engaged the entire time, but it failed to push the medium forward. Stop laughing, I'm watching the medium right now and it hasn't budged. I'm looking right at it. It's a wiggling a little, maybe it's looser, but it's still not moving.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Arist posted:

Truly do not get complaining about the sex scene as some ridiculously indulgent thing. It cuts away in like two seconds.

It’s not bad that it exists. It’s bad because of the rest of the game around it. Feels like something tossed in just because it would draw controversy. Like, most of the game feels that way. The marketing for the game told us everything we needed to know about ND’s intent, and it was to get people worked up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the final act only exists because of two extremely contrived events tommy walking off a headshot wound across multiple state lines and Ellie pinpointing a two-man sailboat on the entire California coastline and that annoys me more than anything else about it given how seriously the game takes itself otherwise

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

It’s not bad that it exists. It’s bad because of the rest of the game around it. Feels like something tossed in just because it would draw controversy. Like, most of the game feels that way. The marketing for the game told us everything we needed to know about ND’s intent, and it was to get people worked up.

You're getting worked up over a sex scene all by yourself and for some reason projecting that onto Naughty Dog. Seek therapy

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the final act only exists because of two extremely contrived events tommy walking off a headshot wound across multiple state lines and Ellie pinpointing a two-man sailboat on the entire California coastline and that annoys me more than anything else about it given how seriously the game takes itself otherwise

Yeah this annoyed the poo poo out of me, but honest it’s been long enough since I played it that I forgot about him having to walk that off. I was more annoyed about the sudden shift in his character from rational to vengeful. They were like k guess we need some reason to push her back out there how do we contrive it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Arist posted:

I don't really remember it except for when other people keep bringing it up :shrug:

Maybe it's because I missed the marketing or something but idk, it seems pretty forgettable

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are no good sex scenes in games, even the good games

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

You're getting worked up over a sex scene all by yourself and for some reason projecting that onto Naughty Dog. Seek therapy

I mean I’m just sharing my thoughts. But okay bud.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

:emptyquote:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

I mean I’m just sharing my thoughts. But okay bud.

Your thoughts are that Naughty Dog put in a sex scene to deliberately make you freak out online. No, they just put in a sex scene, and then you chose to freak out online over it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"the last of us"???? is this a zombie game or a game about playstation plus subscribers?????

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Last of Us (posting about a sex scene in a video game)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BurningBeard posted:

It’s been a minute since I played through the game but remind me why this sex scene draws controversy?

It’s like the whole foundation of your post here and I remember it being pretty benign but I’m probably forgetting something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I genuinely don't understand what people mean when they say "it didn't drive the medium forward".

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

Your thoughts are that Naughty Dog put in a sex scene to deliberately make you freak out online. No, they just put in a sex scene, and then you chose to freak out online over it.
Your definition of freaking out is really weird dude. Picking one comparatively minor part of that post and fixating on it kinda makes you look weird. Everyone was talking about the series, I think it’s a good game with some bone-headed narrative positions, and you’re freaking out why exactly? Because I thought ND was courting controversy? Chill.

Or keep tilting, but it kinda proves my point about people’s weird insecurity about the supposed validity of their favored entertainment medium.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

History Comes Inside! posted:

it’s time we reevaluated god of war’s sex scenes and admit to ourselves that Kratos getting a bunch of red orbs from nutting was actually extremely funny and it was all downhill from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Augus posted:

it’s time we reevaluated god of war’s sex scenes and admit to ourselves that Kratos getting a bunch of red orbs from nutting was actually extremely funny and it was all downhill from there

the medium would be in a better place if rockstar put hot coffee in the finished GTASA