Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Thanks all, I am recommending that she get a ergonomic type office chair in the sub-$400 budget and then just buy or crochet a pink cover for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

isndl posted:

Hey now, the Logitech gaming chair was a legitimate Embody!

it is also loving amazing

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also refurbished chairs are in the ~$300 range as well for all sort of pro-tier models

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Got a refurbished Haworth for $175 cash. Wish the back would adjust higher but so far it has great support. I'll know for sure in 2 weeks.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it is also loving amazing

It seems like a deal*, all the base embody features for $100 less than the base model.

*for a chair you’re going to keep for decades — that costs less per year than any other office chair over it’s 12 year warranty if you plan on keeping it until the heat death of the universe

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

mobby_6kl posted:

Also refurbished chairs are in the ~$300 range as well for all sort of pro-tier models

Where are you finding these $300 miracles, and what Herman Miller models are my best bet if I want to get the best bang for buck I can in a used chair?

Between the new lines like the Embody and all the Aeron revisions over the years, I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at when I scan used chair sites :ohdear:

I just know that I've had hand-me-down Aerons for all of my adult life, and now I need a breezy mesh hammock under my butt.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Mirra 2 is a great chair, I prefer it to the Aeron and it doesn't have the same iconic status so people don't ask for stupid money for one. I prefer the plastic back over the mesh.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I hate my chair, and I need a second one anyway. I sit in a chair the whole day, so I want it to be comfortable.
Is this a good chair? https://www.chairholder.de/shop/pro...J0aAmrLEALw_wcB
I don't want to buy a chair and then discover it sucks (like this last one).
I'm only living here 2~4 more years and I won't be able to take it with me, so not sure how much I want to spend.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Anyone know a solution for protecting my carpet and being able to roll around more easily
This place is a rental and has quite thick nice carpet and I had one of those plastic square things which worked great but is all shattered and breaking apart now after only a year and I was wondering if there's a different solution that would be more hard-wearing and maybe a bit nicer looking?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cretin90 posted:

Wife wants a cute gaming chair, is looking at the $500 Secretlab Titan EVO 2022 series in pink. She’s 5’6”.
do not get a gaming race car chair unless you secretly hate your wife

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Kullik posted:

Anyone know a solution for protecting my carpet and being able to roll around more easily
This place is a rental and has quite thick nice carpet and I had one of those plastic square things which worked great but is all shattered and breaking apart now after only a year and I was wondering if there's a different solution that would be more hard-wearing and maybe a bit nicer looking?
Maybe one of those wood/bamboo floor mats would work? I've never used one myself, but they are A Thing.
ex. https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/996380/Anji-Mountain-Bamboo-Roll-Up-Chair/

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
mods change thread title to “go into credit card debt for a Herman Miller Embody with the Balance Fabric Upgrade or Your Wife WILL Leave You”

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Are gas springs all standardized? I have a Think v2 that randomly loses about half an inch of height at a time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kullik posted:

I hate chair mats and think they are useless.

Giant casters are a better solution for carpet, but they won't keep thick/deep carpet pristine.
If you care about that then you should be able to get a offcut of lowpile carpet pretty cheap and use that as a "mat".

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Happiness Commando posted:

Are gas springs all standardized? I have a Think v2 that randomly loses about half an inch of height at a time
no, but they are pretty easy to find for major brands/models.

installing them is another story

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got a fancy chair (Embody - white/graphite base with "Nightfall" upholstry - looks really great IMO, particularly the white; I don't really like the look of all-black chairs/furniture). Finally decided to go through with it, since I'm working from home almost all the time now.

It is so nice. It has this perfect level of "firmness" where it's not quite as firm as other high-end chairs I've tried (which are sometimes too firm for my taste; the Aeron didn't seem like it'd be as comfortable for long periods of use) but still firm enough that it keeps my posture good.

Back when I was still in the office, I got a sort of "mid-end" $300 chair that work paid for and was generally disappointed with it, so it's nice to just have something that feels great and has a long warranty (so ideally I can use it indefinitely).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

I got a fancy chair (Embody - white/graphite base with "Nightfall" upholstry - looks really great IMO, particularly the white; I don't really like the look of all-black chairs/furniture). Finally decided to go through with it, since I'm working from home almost all the time now.

It is so nice. It has this perfect level of "firmness" where it's not quite as firm as other high-end chairs I've tried (which are sometimes too firm for my taste; the Aeron didn't seem like it'd be as comfortable for long periods of use) but still firm enough that it keeps my posture good.

Back when I was still in the office, I got a sort of "mid-end" $300 chair that work paid for and was generally disappointed with it, so it's nice to just have something that feels great and has a long warranty (so ideally I can use it indefinitely).

Welcome to the fancy chair club :toot:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ytlaya posted:

my hat is off to you for being brave enough to spend ~$1300 on a white fabric desk chair

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TenementFunster posted:

my hat is off to you for being brave enough to spend ~$1300 on a white fabric desk chair

That’s how I read it at first too, but I think he got the white *base* and the seat is midnight.

I almost got the white base too but let’s be real, I’m a goon and that poo poo is gonna be covered in cum, tears and cheeto dust in a week and I’d rather only have to clean it when the filth gains sentience (again)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tehinternet posted:

I’d rather only have to clean it when the filth gains sentience

New thread title

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

please dont doxx me

mods

stump collector
May 28, 2007
backbone of a good poo poo up

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I need to get an embody. If I have trouble finding a furniture dealer, should I just order it from the HM website or am I getting hugely gouged that way

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you have to order it from their site, wait until their next 15% off deal. It'll probably begin some time this month.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Inept posted:

If you have to order it from their site, wait until their next 15% off deal. It'll probably begin some time this month.

I just got a flyer in the mail yesterday advertising it, so it's happening very soon, yes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ffycchi posted:

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

Is this a newer version of the above? Avoid or go for it?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
On the topic of HM dealers, we just got one in town and I'm gonna pop over there sometime next week to take a look at an embody in person. What sort of discount will I typically see off a dealer or is that entirely variable depending on region?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

couldcareless posted:

On the topic of HM dealers, we just got one in town and I'm gonna pop over there sometime next week to take a look at an embody in person. What sort of discount will I typically see off a dealer or is that entirely variable depending on region?

Just with a quick Google for Embody pricing, I would expect that an authorized dealer should be able to get you down to 3 digits (Seems that most common pricing online is like $1100)

For reference, dealer + employee discount for my Cosm was probably around $950, give or take.

I'm asking a buddy that purchased an Embody from the same dealer with the same discount back in late 2020 or early 2021; will reply again when I have that info.

Whoever your salesperson is, be sure to ask them about possible discounts you are eligible for (maybe you work for a big employer in the area; maybe they have a WFH discount; maybe the sales guy has a random bullshit discount he can apply to your purchase because that's just how this poo poo works, idk but definitely worth asking)

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is this a newer version of the above? Avoid or go for it?

Looks like it. Looks fine tbh.

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the

Kullik posted:

I ordered one of these giant panes of glass, it weighs a ton but makes rolling so much nicer on the thick carpet. I’ve had it about a year and it makes people nervous to step on but I haven’t had any issues so far.

Lorell Tempered Glass Chairmat Chair Mat, 60", Clear https://a.co/d/509dhT7

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

theOctagon posted:

I ordered one of these giant panes of glass, it weighs a ton but makes rolling so much nicer on the thick carpet. I’ve had it about a year and it makes people nervous to step on but I haven’t had any issues so far.

Lorell Tempered Glass Chairmat Chair Mat, 60", Clear https://a.co/d/509dhT7

This seems sick but a bit outside my price range, I reckon I'm gonna just have to either look into better casters or buy some sort of rug or something.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
My gaming chair's mechanism broke, and I almost discarded the whole chair before I realized I could just replace the mechanism and cylinder. However, I haven't found any obvious recommendations for what kind of mechanism and cylinder I should get. Any suggestions? I'll consider any mechanism, but I don't need much in the way of options as long as I can move the chair up and down and tilt it if needed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

My gaming chair's mechanism broke, and I almost discarded the whole chair before I realized I could just replace the mechanism and cylinder. However, I haven't found any obvious recommendations for what kind of mechanism and cylinder I should get. Any suggestions? I'll consider any mechanism, but I don't need much in the way of options as long as I can move the chair up and down and tilt it if needed.

Throw the gaming chair away and get something without the word gaming in the name.

I am not trying to be rude or snarky. It probably just isn't worth it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Throw the gaming chair away and get something without the word gaming in the name.

I am not trying to be rude or snarky. It probably just isn't worth it.

Even so, I must ask why. What is it you know that makes you claim I'd be better off spending twice as much on a limited budget than just replacing some parts on an otherwise functional chair? What knowledge do I lack about the lack of worth of such chairs? Like you, no mockery intended, I'm legit asking.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Even so, I must ask why. What is it you know that makes you claim I'd be better off spending twice as much on a limited budget than just replacing some parts on an otherwise functional chair? What knowledge do I lack about the lack of worth of such chairs? Like you, no mockery intended, I'm legit asking.

In general, "gaming" chairs are just bad chairs with marketing. Throwing 100$ of replacement parts on an already broken bad chair isn't going to make it a good chair. You're better off taking that $100 and trying to find a used good chair from a local source. A used Steelcase leap v2 can be found for $300 or less. It will actually function as a chair, and not fall apart generally.

You can get a basic replacement cylinder on amazon for $30, if you also need a lever mechanism it will be another $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Office-Control-Mechanism-Mounting/dp/B072YFNQSR
https://www.amazon.com/Office-Chair-Cylinder-Replacement-Instructions/dp/B01FGLVD6M

those will get you through most likely. verify the mounting locations are the same, and that the height is correct.

I was not trying to be a dick, re-reading my post I sounded like a dick.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 21, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

If you want a more specific explanation of the why, more expensive chairs provide much better spine support than the "gamer" racing chair style, and they don't break on you like the chair you currently have has. The hand-me-down Herman Miller currently cradling my butt is almost as old as I am (no hyperbole) and it has yet to give out on me. In comparison, gaming chairs have an impressively unilateral legacy of producing "it broke, what do" posts just like yours.

I know people with too much disposable income like to tout "it will last forever" as though it's a key selling point on an item you would never in a million years actually keep for a decade+, and that can get annoying. But as a Certified Poor, I can tell you that office chair designs are much more timeless and you really will want to take a good one with you from house to house until you die.

And again, in this case you're not just paying for the longevity. They're also legitimately much better for you.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I plan to keep my aeron for a decade+.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I just got an email from Herman Miller for an additional 5% off on top of the 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Second hand Aerons and Mirras can be had in the 300$ range. HM seems really expensive but their 12 year warranty is hard to beat if you’re buying new and i’ve had cheap gaming chairs break within a year. herman Millers are pretty repairable and parts are available for them.

Had my second had Aeron for around a year with no issues.