Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bad posting itt about the GOAT TLoU2!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the medium would be in a better place if rockstar put hot coffee in the finished GTASA

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BurningBeard posted:

It’s not bad that it exists. It’s bad because of the rest of the game around it. Feels like something tossed in just because it would draw controversy. Like, most of the game feels that way. The marketing for the game told us everything we needed to know about ND’s intent, and it was to get people worked up.

They built the game around the sex scene? Lol

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BurningBeard posted:

Because I thought ND was courting controversy? Chill.

Seriously what am I missing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It didn't invert the gaming paradigm

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it pushed the medium alright... it pushed it into a trash can

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

People got mad and ND said gently caress off. That's all I remember. If people want to get mad about a jacked bird, their videogame dad getting killed or a trans character that feels like a user issue.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

acksplode posted:

This happened to me, it's because the little resistance spring snapped. Has nothing to do with the adaptive trigger stuff. Takes like 30 minutes to fix, you can get a pack of more replacements than you'll need for a few bucks.

Do you have a link to springs you would recommend so that it feels similar to the springs that come in the dual sense?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I love when people talk like that about TLOU2’s story like they usually just read Dovstoyesky and stuff but decided to lower themselves to the insipidness of a video game story

I would genuinely love to know all the superior media for intellectuals that's out and abundant because I dunno what any of it is aside from Rick & Morty. And even then that might just be a meme like the FFXIV copypasta or Morbius and they're all being ironic about it.

Because I didn't get a lot about TLoU 2 that stumbled people. Oh, people say their ally/pet's name after seeing their head explode or arm blown off when they line up with the barrel of your shotgun? Yeah, I've seen some action movies, that tends to happen in dramatic moments in scenes.

Hell, even Disney did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlPRKFb5cE

But I played the game curious about how it had insulted gamers as a whole and I was bored enough to play a another third-person crafting shooter so I was probably more charitable about the game than I should've given it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

It’s been a minute since I played through the game but remind me why this sex scene draws controversy?

It’s like the whole foundation of your post here and I remember it being pretty benign but I’m probably forgetting something.

I don’t particularly care that it’s in there. I just think it’s kinda telling what ND cared about, in terms of audience reaction. Truth told, the enduring dialogue about these games means they did something right. I just thought it was a little silly and pointless and transparently controversial. Kinda edgelord.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nah

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are the sex scenes in walking dead "edgelord"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

I don’t particularly care that it’s in there. I just think it’s kinda telling what ND cared about, in terms of audience reaction. Truth told, the enduring dialogue about these games means they did something right. I just thought it was a little silly and pointless and transparently controversial. Kinda edgelord.

I am legitimately trying to understand here. How is a normal sex scene "transparently controversial" or "edgelord" or demonstrating what ND cared about in terms of audience reaction.

I'm just legitimately confused.

I could get calling it done to death or unnecessary or a standard trope. But nothing in this post is making sense to me at all. It's just a sex scene.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
NGL considering I had a lot of other complaints about TLoU’s narrative, and also acknowledged enjoying the game kinda makes the everyone focusing on the sex scene sorta weird. Lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mikeraskol posted:

I could get calling it done to death or unnecessary or a standard trope. But nothing in this post is making sense to me at all. It's just a sex scene.

Criticising it for slavishly aping prestige television would be fair enough.

BurningBeard posted:

NGL considering I had a lot of other complaints about TLoU’s narrative, and also acknowledged enjoying the game kinda makes the everyone focusing on the sex scene sorta weird. Lol.

You were talking about it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They're cowards for panning away before the cumshot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BurningBeard posted:

:chloe:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RareAcumen posted:

They're cowards for panning away before the cumshot

yeah

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

So I went into an electronics store that was closing, and they did 80% of on anything. Found an Elden Ring PS5 Launch Edition and paid 14€ instead of 70.

I did play soem Dark Souls, some Demon Souls, but always bounced of. Not be aus eof "hard" but mostly because of the storytelling. The way they tell their stories just doesn't work for me.

Is it worth trying ER anyway? And if so is there a beginners guide how stats affect things etc?

Elden Ring is probably the easiest of all soulsbournes because if you hit a roadblock, you can just go in another direction. If you want a decent idea of what stats work in what way I'd suggest looking at the fextralife starter builds. They are not super optimal but they are flavorful and fun to build towards.

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds

You don't need an optimal build in ER as you can generally just bypass major challenges and come back to them later. Even the first boss and his castle you can just go around the side, cut though the backyard and come out on the other side in another zone having skipped the whole thing and then come back and spank him later.

I also suggest getting a summon bell early, it's a minor spoiler but having summons is a huge help and while some call it 'cheating' or 'a crutch' it was put in the game for a reason. ER is all about gaining tools and knowledge over stats and summons are another tool in your tool belt to help you explore the world.

As far as storytelling, the world is the story and without going into it in too much detail, the narrative is what you do in the world, not what the world does to you. The NPCs and such are all just bit players in your narrative. Why are you here, what's your goal? To explore and see the sights and kill monsters. If you want more story it's there and you will find it so don't stress it.

The game is great, don't sleep on it just because dark souls didn't click.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

I am legitimately trying to understand here. How is a normal sex scene "transparently controversial" or "edgelord" or demonstrating what ND cared about in terms of audience reaction.

I'm just legitimately confused.

When a game features someone’s arms being broken by a hammer, and when that scene is featured in the pre-release marketing for a game, I think it’s pretty clear what ND intended. You don’t market something in a vacuum. Unnecessary is probably the best complaint. But I think it’s also kinda… what… reactionary? Like legit, I have no interest in that particular thing about TLoU II. I think what’s most interesting about TLoU II as a product is that it was trying something, and in my opinion, it failed while being hilariously transparent about how intense and profound it was. The sex scene is just a part of that funny little tapestry, imho.

Anyhoo, I know a bunch of people don’t share my opinion, so I’m gonna dip out. I thought there was an interesting conversation about the game itself and how it did or did not fail in here. Nope. Her her sex scene. Cool cool.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Do you have a link to springs you would recommend so that it feels similar to the springs that come in the dual sense?

I actually salvaged my replacement spring from another dualsense with stick drift that I forgot to return, so I don't have any experience with third-party replacements. But it's an incredibly simple little spring, I don't think there's much room for variation. You'll see if you google "dualsense trigger spring replacement", anything that shows up is probably suitable. And in any case they're very cheap.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you that the game is profound. It's a good zombie tv show game. That's why people like it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you that the game is profound. It's a good zombie tv show game. That's why people like it.

I didn’t think that anyone was trying to argue with me about that. I just think it’s an interesting failure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TLoU2 was profound and very effective for me. I still think about it all the time. Nothing’s hit me nearly as hard since. It’s a top tier work of art from an unbelievably talented team of people.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

TLoU2 was profound and very effective for me. I still think about it all the time. Nothing’s hit me nearly as hard since. It’s a top tier work of art from an unbelievably talented team of people.

I would legitimately be interested in your perspective on that if you want to expand.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

When a game features someone’s arms being broken by a hammer, and when that scene is featured in the pre-release marketing for a game, I think it’s pretty clear what ND intended. You don’t market something in a vacuum. Unnecessary is probably the best complaint. But I think it’s also kinda… what… reactionary? Like legit, I have no interest in that particular thing about TLoU II. I think what’s most interesting about TLoU II as a product is that it was trying something, and in my opinion, it failed while being hilariously transparent about how intense and profound it was. The sex scene is just a part of that funny little tapestry, imho.

I think I sort of get what you're trying to say, although it feels like you've programmed an AI to try and mimic human internet forum posting to make the point for you and there are just random weird words inserted all over the place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the other hand, what I like about TLOU as a franchise would not be things that make it "profound," because I don't think it honestly has that much to say intellectually. That's not a complaint, because I think what it's trying to do instead is create complex emotional reactions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What I liked about TLOU is how I thought I hated it at the start and then next thing I know I finished TLOU 1 and instabought TLOU 2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TLOU to me definitely has more emotional intelligence than cerebral but it’s about mushroom zombies so that’s fine

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I mostly played TLoU because the reviews spoke about cordyceps and I'd heard that word in a David Attenborough documentary

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BurningBeard posted:

I would legitimately be interested in your perspective on that if you want to expand.

Here’s a rambly post I made back in January after beating it. I think it expands on my reaction well enough.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about tlou2 and it’s still lingering in my head. At the very end when you find Abby and Lev strung up it’s just so genuinely upsetting. Like, just pathetic. It’s gross. Your prey is absolutely mentally and physically destroyed and hung up for you. No challenge. There’s no catharsis, there’s barely even a struggle apparent even though Abby is ready to fight until the very end. You (as Ellie) get to experience threatening Lev who absolutely deserves none of this in the slightest capacity. It’s so intense, and I really loved (hated? lol) how you have to do multiple very brutal close shot square mashing moments to “achieve” something that feels so awful. And then the moment when Ellie realizes how pointless it is and makes the “right” choice, it’s just as painful. It’s almost pointless but not quite, everything is hosed. The only thing that she succeeds with is internal, inside her. It’s unfortunately one of the most realistically human “victories” I’ve seen in a game. And then of course that return home. Family gone, her main physical and mental connection to Joel, her guitar playing, forever tarnished and linked to her own hatred and desire for revenge.

The most painful part is that you still have to realize that Ellie is a complex human being born into a horrible world and dealt a deck of suffering in so many ways. How do you respond to that? In all the right ways or in an imperfect way on the fly that leads to another flawed reaction and another and another until you’ve lost everything in haze of barely even knowing who you are?

Seriously a beautiful game. It’s one of the most grim, brutal experiences I’ve ever had. But it’s also one of the most honestly human stories in the medium. It’s not a pitch black story of hate and suffering, it’s only that dark and effective because the game knows the importance of love, life and humanity. The game wouldn’t be so effective if it didn’t explore and display why it’s so terrible and terrifying that these things, mentally physically and spiritually can happen to us while we’re all in pursuit of the very simple core things that make life so good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I bought the remaster when it came out on PS4 and played an hour or two before getting fed up because resource scarcity and sneaking around isn’t very fun to me.

If I wanted to spend my free time scavenging to survive and hiding from murderous inhuman monsters all I have to do is wait like 6 months for society to collapse entirely on this lovely island rather than spend £70.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BurningBeard, how did you feel about the late game reveal that Joel and Ellie were achingly close to reconciliation after years of being apart, meaning Ellie was not only mourning the friend she had once had, but the friend she was just about to get back? That one really got to me. And how about the museum flashback?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"the last of us"???? is this a zombie game or a game about playstation plus subscribers?????

lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

BurningBeard, how did you feel about the late game reveal that Joel and Ellie were achingly close to reconciliation after years of being apart, meaning Ellie was not only mourning the friend she had once had, but the friend she was just about to get back? That one really got to me. And how about the museum flashback?

That first part was just :cry: ahhhhhhhhh

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

loving incredible reveal. Adding a crucial bit of emotional nuance to situation I thought I had fully understood a dozen hours prior. Magnifique

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Legitimately, I could complain about TLOU2. I think it's probably too long and overall too dour in a way that has prevented me from going back to it, and I've beaten the first game like six or seven times, several of those on Grounded. The Ellie story in particular kind of drags by the end. The Abby stuff had me riveted the whole way through though, I think it's easily the better half of that game.

That said, the ultimate motivation for the revenge mission being the pain of averted catharsis was really compelling and exactly what I mean when I say the game is more about the emotions at play. I'm even just now noticing the connection that Ellie flashes back to that scene when she is again denied true catharsis in nearly killing a broken Abby at the end.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 1, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Augus posted:

it’s time we reevaluated god of war’s sex scenes and admit to ourselves that Kratos getting a bunch of red orbs from nutting was actually extremely funny and it was all downhill from there

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

call me crazy, but i tried tlou and bounced off it after like 2hr. the controls were...bad, to put it best. but ultimately, it sits right at the bottom of the uncanny valley for me. like, i can easily attach to a 16-bit rpg or totally alien/monster experience. the veneer where it's trying to present as human or real isn't there. but tlou...and a lot of modern games, really. they just lose me and i can't connect whatsoever.

but clearly i am in the minority with this...whatever it is. just a total mental block, i guess.