Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I was talking to some friends last night about this dev and one of them described his games in probably the most accurate way possible.

Like, pretty much every game this dev makes is about horrors imposed on the working class by the rich in the form of the supernatural manifestation of the fear of immigrants, a demon summoned and sicced on a hospital by a rich dude because he had to pay a little more in taxes this year than before, a house haunted by a rich rear end in a top hat who hates miscegenation so much he kills his son's lover for being a different race from his son and now the movers have to put up with his ghost racism while they pack up all the stuff there, or a small shipping company incurring the wrath of Sekhmet and Thoth for unknowingly transporting some relics for some rich archaeologist thieves and the new security guard, fresh from losing her job as tech support for a hardware manufacturer that cut corners and ended up using poor materials that made their computer parts volatile and prone to catching fire, has to go find the relics that even the Egyptian gods admit they don't particularly care for, it's just the principle of the thing and they want an excuse to go to war with humanity. And the games have genuinely happy endings if you play them right, which itself is rare for horror games nowadays. No ending stinger of "and then they died anyway" or whatever.

But the games all look like this.

https://i.imgur.com/A9Eaz0N.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/y1hdSuJ.mp4

What the gently caress

He absolutely loves to jack off to overworked fat middle aged women. Very specific fetish but well, glad he made his dreams reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mix. posted:

well i guess a new bendy game just got announced

Maybe this one will be good (it won't be)

Idk guys maybe you should spend less time hiding things in corners for Game Theory videos and more time making a fun and interesting game, maybe then your plushies will sell better

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
more like bendy and the stink machine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lunatic Sledge posted:

more like bendy and the stink machine

That's right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know how the subgenre of "$10 Steam trash horror games for children but the children don't actually play the games they just watch 35-year old men scream along to it on twitch" became popular but I'm old now and I hate it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

RE2 is on there twice lmao

Particularly enjoyed BioShock being on there at 13.

System Shock 2, which I do think has legitimate horror chops, is like 60-something.

Told myself I wouldn’t get mad about this sort of poo poo but here we are. God dammit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you say that your favorite horror game is Silent Hill 3 you're wrong

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mines eternal darkness (masterpiece in spite of dennis dyack)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you say that your favorite horror game is Silent Hill 3 you're wrong

gently caress u

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“what’s your favorite horror game”
“silent hill 3”
“got it thanks” *writes down ‘silent hill 2 but lying’*

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

“what’s your favorite horror game”
“silent hill 3”
“got it thanks” *writes down ‘silent hill 2 but lying’*

I didn't come into this thread today to get personally attacked!!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Signalis having anime designs is funny because yeah it's anime but also it's an extention of the Sci fi tradition of "everyone speaks mandarin in The Future" and bringing it into "you know the first humanlike robots are going to be anime right"

Speaks Mandarin, Japanese keyboards, German everywhere else

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know how the subgenre of "$10 Steam trash horror games for children but the children don't actually play the games they just watch 35-year old men scream along to it on twitch" became popular but I'm old now and I hate it.

Five Nights at Freddy's is your answer. It's a game that's not very much fun to play except for people who enjoy that tension combined with plate spinning. So it becomes more fun to watch.

Enter the genre of games that are basically not fun enough to play, but can be made entertaining to watch by people commentating on them.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 1, 2022

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
2 and 3 are both amazing I love them equally.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

System shock 2 has the best sound design in gaming. It should be high

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've come around on bad Steam horror games, watching people suffer through them instead of scream at them is a form of entertainment that's preferential over grown men owning children in Fortnite or being borderline racist in Survival Sim #72.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
No Kuon representation on that IGN list? :colbert: Boo!

Does SA have a :hipster: smiley? Because we should.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Read After Burning posted:

No Kuon representation on that IGN list? :colbert: Boo!

Does SA have a :hipster: smiley? Because we should.

Given that Kuon costs like $500 for a legit copy, and that price is due to the low supply, it's no surprise that Kuon doesn't really have a large constituency.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

al-azad posted:

I've come around on bad Steam horror games, watching people suffer through them instead of scream at them is a form of entertainment that's preferential over grown men owning children in Fortnite or being borderline racist in Survival Sim #72.

I just can't watch people play period. I used to love YouTube let's plays but the whole twitch era has not been my jam

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pope Guilty posted:

Given that Kuon costs like $500 for a legit copy, and that price is due to the low supply, it's no surprise that Kuon doesn't really have a large constituency.

My copy (that I bought in like 2011 for $60 used, and THAT felt crazy to me) is one of my most prized possessions, and probably one of the most valuable things I own. :ohdear:

Hopefully, if my house ever gets broken into, it won't be by nerds...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just don't think Kuon is a very good game. Now Echo Night, that's the progenitor to the modern indie horror. Turn on the lights to dispel ghosts, no weapons, running and hiding. It even has a great jump scare where you're being chased by a ghost and you start a generator only for it to short circuit a little while after turning it on and you're just face to face with the ghost chasing you.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I just can't watch people play period. I used to love YouTube let's plays but the whole twitch era has not been my jam

On the youtube side I can recommend CJUgames and manlybadasshero, both are cam-less with pleasant voices and calm demeanors. Mrkravin is also fun because he's a big gay bear that is easily spooked but also sassy as gently caress.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

kuon isnt very good but it is interesting, much like a lot of the fromsoft games of the time

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I think it'd be bad even if we weren't old.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FNaF is almost solely responsible for the "what if a child's thing but hosed Up" trend in horror games due to it being an absolute smash success made on a shoestring budget that was pushed primarily by the pewdiepies and markipliers of the world

poppy playtime is what i hope to be the nadir of this trend, which is a game that's just short enough per "episode" to be streamable and priced just low enough for kids to buy after, and whose whole presentation and underpinnings are microscopically calculated to give lore youtubers something to chew on and spit out between releases. it's utterly exhausting by every metric

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
drat don't do markiplier dirty by mentioning him in the same breath as pewdiepie

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Most of my horror gaming these days is consumed by watching ManlyBadassHero and occasionally just downloading a game based on the premise if I think it sounds neat. Most of them are free itch.io games anyway and I'm usually down to waste 20 minutes on that poo poo. Actual budget horror games rarely get my attention anymore. I'm only now getting around to actually playing all the way through Alien: Isolation and that game is definitely too long for its own good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wake me up the next time when the next Devotion-level experience comes out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Glagha posted:

I'm only now getting around to actually playing all the way through Alien: Isolation and that game is definitely too long for its own good.

Oh yeah, I am perpetually meaning and forgetting to give Alien Isolation another try. I loved the atmosphere but bailed somewhere along the way on account of getting tired of human baddies rather than alien ones. I'm not even sure how far along the way that was.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

At this point in the game I feel like human enemies barely exist because any time I DO run into humans like half the time I only need to wait like 30 seconds and the alien will helpfully show up and just murder every living thing in the room for me without me really needing to do anything other than not get caught in the crossfire.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I described Isolation to a friend as being like the Alien franchise itself: it starts strong, but it just keeps on going long after it should've been over, with each new bit being weaker than the last.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Then, just when you think it's over for good, a Predator shows up :aaaaa:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Honestly I think that Alien Isolation gets better a little after the beginning sections. I feel like the first time you encounter humans and like, the medbay section are just rough. Not bad but you don't have the tools to deal with the threats presented to you and I feel like dodging the Alien feels like trial and error and luck when it's just like, powerwalking down hallways always transparently hovering around your location. You have to make a move but because it moves so drat fast and sees you so quickly and hears everything it feels like you just have to chance sneaking down a hallway hoping that it doesn't pick this exact moment to just turn around and instakill you with no way to avoid it. You have distractions but they feel iffy sometimes. Later as you get more tools and have a backup "wait wait redo redo" button with the flamethrower it feels a little better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's good Isolation is 25 hours long because were never getting another

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Vermain posted:

FNaF is almost solely responsible for the "what if a child's thing but hosed Up" trend in horror games due to it being an absolute smash success made on a shoestring budget that was pushed primarily by the pewdiepies and markipliers of the world

poppy playtime is what i hope to be the nadir of this trend, which is a game that's just short enough per "episode" to be streamable and priced just low enough for kids to buy after, and whose whole presentation and underpinnings are microscopically calculated to give lore youtubers something to chew on and spit out between releases. it's utterly exhausting by every metric

someone on YouTube used the phrase "Mascot Horror" and it has saved me a lot of words ever since

last I looked into it, the whole thing had become a kind of hosed up marketing oroboros--there's streamers that didn't really want to touch Poppy (or Hello Neighbor, or etc) but got paid big to do so, which in turn made "regular" streamers go "oh hey it's popular I better stream it" so then the non-streamers that just talk about lore and poo poo gotta talk about it because that's all everyone's streaming and at this point you can just throw money at Twitch to tell kids what FunkoPops they really want this Christmas (and even if you don't have a FunkoPop deal for your franchise yet, don't worry, you'll have one soon because look at all these streamers playing your game hell yeah)

which I guess isn't really all that different from the thirty minute toy commercials we had when I was growing up, but I guess the real horror is how much things have changed without ever really changing at all; capitalism just evolves and adapts and even if you make it to outer space it just comes back as a cyborg or something

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

which I guess isn't really all that different from the thirty minute toy commercials we had when I was growing up, but I guess the real horror is how much things have changed without ever really changing at all; capitalism just evolves and adapts and even if you make it to outer space it just comes back as a cyborg or something

i think what's remarkable about it is that it's occurring in a marketing demographic that no one on god's green earth would've tried to sell you on with a straight face 10 years back. horror, especially actual-for-real "trying to make someone piss themselves" horror has not traditionally been the realm of, like, kids 8-14, but that's explicitly the demographic security breach seems to be aiming for. it's like beast wars if megatron had popped up to scream at the camera every second episode

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
It's been a while since I've played it but I remember the pacing in Amnesia Dark Decent being really on point - quiet periods were never long enough to make you bored, while the scary segments went just long enough to make you unsettled and really welcoming any sense of safety again. Meanwhile, the lore keeps unravelling at a pace to keep you interested. 6-10 hours is a perfect horror game length.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Vermain posted:

horror, especially actual-for-real "trying to make someone piss themselves" horror has not traditionally been the realm of, like, kids 8-14, but that's explicitly the demographic security breach seems to be aiming for.

Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark predate all that though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Incorrect Username posted:

It's been a while since I've played it but I remember the pacing in Amnesia Dark Decent being really on point - quiet periods were never long enough to make you bored, while the scary segments went just long enough to make you unsettled and really welcoming any sense of safety again. Meanwhile, the lore keeps unravelling at a pace to keep you interested. 6-10 hours is a perfect horror game length.

Amnesia does a smart thing where it clearly telegraphs where the spookies are (unnatural darkness!) but it forces you into those rooms to get items you need to solve a centralized puzzle. It's practically an adventure game with maybe a dozen monster encounters total.

Vermain posted:

i think what's remarkable about it is that it's occurring in a marketing demographic that no one on god's green earth would've tried to sell you on with a straight face 10 years back. horror, especially actual-for-real "trying to make someone piss themselves" horror has not traditionally been the realm of, like, kids 8-14, but that's explicitly the demographic security breach seems to be aiming for. it's like beast wars if megatron had popped up to scream at the camera every second episode

I guess the definition of "piss themselves" horror is up for debate but horror has always been appealing to kids and that's how you get child murderer/sexual assaulter Freddy Krueger becoming a corporate mascot despite no movie ever being softer than R. Heavily censored TV edits and cheap Joe Bob variety hours have kept horror in the zeitgeist throughout the 80s and 90s and now FNAF has brought it screaming into the teens.

Out of all of them Poppy is the worst. The actual developers seem cool but the corporate entity behind it are cyberbullies who made a fortune off Minecraft-aesthetic FNAF fan videos, bullying other (mostly underage) creators into self harm, and just nakedly hopping on the NFT and merchandising bandwagon.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Vermain posted:

not horror per se but definitely in the realm of poo poo it's hard to believe they sold to kids, Beetlejuice not only had a pretty drat good cartoon but that cartoon got Burger King Kid's Meal toys

I also owned three (3) action figures based on Toxic Crusaders, the brightly colored fun cartoon version of The Toxic Avenger

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark predate all that though

that's a fair point, and i'm fully willing to admit my recollection of both is hazy enough that i probably unknowingly dumped them in the "more creepy than horrifying" category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Vermain posted:

that's a fair point, and i'm fully willing to admit my recollection of both is hazy enough that i probably unknowingly dumped them in the "more creepy than horrifying" category

Goosebumps was mostly just goofy weird spoooooky but AYAOTD was nightmare fuel. Dead Man's Float scared the hell out of me.