Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God that's probably still the best way to play DK64 huh? I was having plenty of fun with it until I hit the level where emulation issues prevented a golden banana from spawning entirely without downgrading to a previous version of the emulator that makes everything look and sound like poo poo, and the next level I'd have to visit is entirely plagued with emulation issues so I might not go back to it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

On the whole this game is really rank; it's a small mercy they let you play as a tank

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I had to check the price tag on the boxed Banjo-Tooie cartridge, manual included, that I picked up at a local used game store years ago. $24.99. I guess I lucked out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think it might've also been a sealed copy? I can't remember anymore, but it was definitely the kind of thing I'd feel pretty lovely about throwing a couple hundred at to open up and play.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Grunty's beaten, to her shame. Next time play a better game!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Defeating grunty must have been such a chore
How many tries did you take to beat this bore?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Watching it back, the Mecha grunty fight has some big K. Rool energy, it's a who's who of all his worst attacks. :v:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Congratulations on beating this one.
Can't say I'm sad to see it gone.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Well, that was a game. A shame it wasn't good, but this will make Tooie a good contrast (whenever that happens).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would've liked to see you get that last Jiggy in the Bad Magic Bayou since that's the last time you use the tank form, but it's probably not worth booting up the game again.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'm just glad that checkpointing your way through the whole game did the trick. Hopefully when you do Tooie I won't decide to do another posting gimmick!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

It looks like Rare did try their best,
But GR stinks next to the rest!
Another Banjo down, Argate,
Don't worry, Tooie's really great!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright friends, gather round and let Uncle Artix tell you about the time they made Banjo into a weird car game that wants to have its cake and eat it too.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was released on the 360 back in 2008 and got...well, we will politely call it a "mixed reception". Nuts and Bolts, while still very similar to Kazooie and Tooie in its overall structure, leans heavily into the new gameplay mechanic of letting the player build their own vehicles to tackle the game's challenges. And credit where it's due, the game's physics are surprisingly robust and nuanced, capable of handling just about anything you can throw at it. It is genuinely fun to build and tweak your own vehicular abominations until you embarass the game's difficulty.

What is is not, however, is a Banjo game. Or at least, not a very good one. Given the emphasis on vehicles, Banjo's actual moveset has been more or less completely erased, reduced to a simple jump and Kazooie being able to swing her wrench around as an attack. The challenges broadly lack variety (there is only so many ways you can dress up "bring me a thing/take this somewhere" or "race me/go somewhere"), and the game has a pretty major tonal problem, opting to open the first game in almost a decade with what essentially boils down to "Those games were terrible. Why did you ever like them? Why do you even want another one?" This is made worse by the fact that the worlds they build are really good, and have that classic Banjo charm. Showdown Town is a great hub, with goodies hidden around every corner, and the each of the game's six main levels look gorgeous. They're huge, far too big to be reasonably traversed on foot (which is arguably the reason for the vehicles' inclusion), but if they had been scaled down by 25%, there is absolutely no reason that it wouldn't pass as a new Banjo game.

We will not be playing all of this game, because to be frank I do not like it. In fact, unless something has gone horribly wrong, we'll be done after I post Part 2 on Thursday. But it would be a shame to not show it at all, given that we played through the entirety of goddamn Grunty's Revenge.

:siren: Part 1: Lord of Games :siren:

seriously argate go buy a loving copy of Tooie

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2022

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There are so many things with N&B that you could tweak and refine to have a game that might actually be pretty solid in its own right, but maaaan everything this game puts forth just leaves a real weird taste in your mouth.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

The hunt goes on to find someone who LP's this game and actually likes it. :negative:

I'd honestly put it in my top 3 games on the xbox but it was my introduction to BK and so I obviously avoided the problems with it messing with a beloved franchise.

To add evidence to the glasses shaped venn diagram of players, I doubt I'd enjoy playing the original games too much but at least N&B has improved my enjoyment of the other LPs so far. Thanks! and sorry this game isn't what you wanted!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The vehicle building makes me think of gummi ships from Kingdom Hearts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you want to play Nuts and Bolts, just go play Robocraft instead.

E: LOG's design bothers me cause it looks like the pong ball should be his mouth, but it's the speaker grille underneath

Dabir fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You were serious. Oh, oh no :magical:

E: I actually found the comparison to SFA:DP interesting because I would argue that they suffer the same way for a completely different reason, namely that a lot of the world thinks they would be all right games on their own merits without the brand attached scorn they recieved; nuts and bolts does this thing that is an unforgivable sin in a creative game by taking away creative control from the player on a regular basis. And star fox adventures was just.... not a good Zelda game. At all. There's been repeated lps of people going in remembering it fondly where you can watch their happy childhood memories die in real time.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 1, 2022

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm surprised no one's modded Nuts and Bolts to be more playable. Or maybe someone did and I never bothered to learn about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All you'd have to do is delete L.O.G's dialogue and you're halfway there

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
nuts and bolts was the game that convinced me that rare has never made a game that was actually funny, because a company that can make dialogue so utterly devoid of humor as the entirety of nuts and bolts is clearly a black hole. game's conceptually neat but it takes away control from the player in the campaign too often for it to live up to what it has

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FoolyCharged posted:

You were serious. Oh, oh no :magical:

E: I actually found the comparison to SFA:DP interesting because I would argue that they suffer the same way for a completely different reason, namely that a lot of the world thinks they would be all right games on their own merits without the brand attached scorn they recieved; nuts and bolts does this thing that is an unforgivable sin in a creative game by taking away creative control from the player on a regular basis. And star fox adventures was just.... not a good Zelda game. At all. There's been repeated lps of people going in remembering it fondly where you can watch their happy childhood memories die in real time.

See this is very funny to me because the comparison I desperately want to make but am legally not allowed to is Breath of the Wild. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh yeah this game is kinda like breath of the wild in several ways isn't it

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This game makes me sad in a way that's weird to describe. I can't even bother keeping up the rhyming bit for it.

It definitely made me realize that Rare was dead. Shortly after it was released they also went all weird with their logo, turning it into the most hypergeneric stylized R imaginable for a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Never seen this game in action, but I've always hated the way Banjo looks in this game just from the box art and promo renders. It's like they tried to 90s attitude/edgy with the higher fidelity of the mid-00s. Maybe the whole art style just sucks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Quote is not edit!

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
The game just seems incredibly mean spirited, both towards the characters and the player.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Making Gummi ships into a game wasn't a bad idea, but why did it have to be Banjo?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Mr. Vile posted:

The game just seems incredibly mean spirited, both towards the characters and the player.

That's a good way of putting what feels so offputting about the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a game mock both its own franchise and the player like this before.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

The gameplay itself I'd say is good in a vacuum, but things don't quite work together right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Vile posted:

This. Banjo was always a bit self-aware and cynical, but this game felt like none of the characters were having fun and the game was actively mocking them and you the player for hoping for a more traditional sequel.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fwoderwick posted:

The hunt goes on to find someone who LP's this game and actually likes it. :negative:

Rooreelooo had a good time, until he didn't.

https://twitter.com/Rooreelooo/status/1567275086494814208

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I was gonna link that later today but yeah if you do want to see Nuts and Bolts beyond the first stage then definitely check out Rooreloo's LP, even though it isn't done, it's super good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watching the video now and I love the implication that (Argate don't read this) after playing hackey-sack with Grunty's skull for a while the gang from Tooie just kind of...left her lying around somewhere. They were nice enough to pop her eye back in its socket at least!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Artix posted:

I was gonna link that later today but yeah if you do want to see Nuts and Bolts beyond the first stage then definitely check out Rooreloo's LP, even though it isn't done, it's super good.

Especially the Kinetikos, that tweet doesn't lie.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 2: Nutty Acres :siren:

It turns out that when LOG shuts the gently caress up and goes away, Nuts and Bolts is...fine? Like it's not an incredible gaming experience or anything but it mostly works. I just wish it had a whole lot less of...that.

Anyway god willing we will begin Tooie soon. If not we'll see you in the LOGBOX 720. :shepface:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How much of the target audience would even get the Dallas reference in the intro?

And like y'all mentioned, the worlds are actually really nice and thematic and it somehow just makes everything worse with the hostility it shows itself, because you can see the other game they're mocking underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shei-kun posted:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a game mock both its own franchise and the player like this before.

yeah this combined with the fact that it was cars and not a proper collectathon platformer killed all interest for me.