Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

Yeah all the young avengers had legacy names that didn't actually have anything to do with the originals

Hawkingbird should have been a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dawgstar posted:

Being delighted by Beast hanging out with Wonder Man feels like an eternity ago. Has Simon had much contact with ol' Hank 'War Crimes' McCoy, I wonder now.

thanks, now i'm gonna be super bummed when Hank doesn't debut in the Wonder Man TV show

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

OnimaruXLR posted:

thanks, now i'm gonna be super bummed when Hank doesn't debut in the Wonder Man TV show

I mean he still could though I guess. I'm not mad Wonderman is black so much as a little disappointed that Yahya was cast as him of all characters because it kinda seems like a waste of his talent/beauty. No offense, I like Wonderman and all but he's D tier and starting out on Disney+ so who knows what level of importance/effort he'll get. The dude could have been Reed or Cyclops or (insert 3rd important yet stuffy serious character that could benefit from an injection of charisma)

Of course I'll eat my words when Wonderman turns out to be some deep meta narrative breakdown of fame's toll on celebrity heroes or whatever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Opopanax posted:

Yeah all the young avengers had legacy names that didn't actually have anything to do with the originals
Honestly, Teddy is long overdue for another codename at this point :sweatdrop:

Though I think there are marketing and branding issues with character names, even when you actually own the character. Every time a superhero adopts a new identity you need to do extra licensing stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Like is it really a big deal if they just don’t call him Hulking? I can’t figure if that would piss people off or not. All things being even it seems like it makes more sense to just skip that whole thing since they’re probably not gonna copy the Young Avengers intro and it kind of makes more sense in the MCU to go the alien route right away. Or just have him hide that without hiding as a Hulk.

But like that would also seem like a pretty big change from the comics and I don’t know how that would go over.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just imagine the fraction of people who know who Teddy is and are dead set on needing that name has to be pretty tiny

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
watch them actually make him a Hulk.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I would be more sad if he wasn't named Teddy than if he wasn't named Hulkling

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

I would be more sad if he wasn't named Teddy than if he wasn't named Hulkling

his name is Dorrek VIII

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

his name is Dorrek VIII
:negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Cut to Vision complaining endlessly about the Letterboxd reviews.

What are reviews if not ONE BAD MOVIE THAT NO ONE WILL LET ME GO ABOUT persevering?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I mean he still could though I guess. I'm not mad Wonderman is black so much as a little disappointed that Yahya was cast as him of all characters because it kinda seems like a waste of his talent/beauty. No offense, I like Wonderman and all but he's D tier and starting out on Disney+ so who knows what level of importance/effort he'll get. The dude could have been Reed or Cyclops or (insert 3rd important yet stuffy serious character that could benefit from an injection of charisma)

Of course I'll eat my words when Wonderman turns out to be some deep meta narrative breakdown of fame's toll on celebrity heroes or whatever.

Iron Man was D Tier about 15 years ago so you never know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Opopanax posted:

I think he was a little higher in the years before the first movie, what with New Avengers and Civil War. Civil War especially was hyped like hell. Joe Quesada went on late night TV shows to promote it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the thing with Wonder Man is that he's been around a while but you can pretty much change him to fit the MCU without much problem.

You get a good actor and hopefully put him in a good show and suddenly Wonder Man is a big deal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Personally, I wouldn’t be mad if they skip Hulkling being Mar-Vell’s half Kree/half Skrull son, and just have Skaar be Hulk’s gay son.

Secret Invasion might be a good opening to introduce Teddy though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah Teddy has a cool story. And he's the Prince of Space. He's easy enough to fit in as well.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Opopanax posted:

He really wasn't though. People have been saying that for years but if you remove Spider-Man and the X-Men he easily slots in Marvel's A tier.

It's always been:
X-Men, Spider-Man, maybe Hulk
Captain America, Iron Man, Thor
Wasp, Hawkeye, Widow
Vision, Wonderman, Falcon
Sleepwalker

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was a good Uncanny Avengers where Grim Reaper attacked a news conferance and Rogue took "some" of Simons power to fight him and ended up killing Grim Reaper in a single hit and was "oh poo poo I didn't realize you were that strong". So I hope we get a good Rogue eventually.

I'd certainly see them having people call Teddy Hulkling and him hating it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

He really wasn't though. People have been saying that for years but if you remove Spider-Man and the X-Men he easily slots in Marvel's A tier.

It's always been:
Wasp, Hawkeye, Widow
Sleepwalker

Nah, I'd argue it was more like:

X-Men, Spider-Man
Hulk, Thor, the FF
Daredevil, Punisher, Iron Man, Cap

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody in the Avengers was that popular. That's why they were in the Avengers, it was IP protection to keep characters that people weren't buying in print.

Avengers wasn't the Justice League, it was like a more upscale Suicide Squad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It's always been:
Wasp, Hawkeye, Widow
Sleepwalker

I would definitely put Hulk at the top tier of the list. The TV show boosted his profile a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This discussion of tiers never lays down any ground rules about what people are talking about. Like is it popularity and recognition among most people? Was it comic book sales? They're not necessarily the same. Someone like Hulk, I'm going to wager has never topped the sales charts when you factor in characters who support multiple titles at a time, but he was a bigger part of pop culture than his issue sales would have indicated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pretty sure anyone who read marvel comics would know who iron man is before the movies came out. There's enough crossovers that reading spiderman or xmen would give you at least knowledge of those characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The true recognition tier was:

-Every character who was in a scrolling beat-em-up arcade game
-Everyone else

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BrianWilly posted:

The true recognition tier was:

-Every character who was in a scrolling beat-em-up arcade game
-Everyone else

Does that mean Hawkeye was the highest tier since he was in two side scrolling beat em ups?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yes! You get it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Too Many Hulks! (Tooo many hulllks) Too Many Hulks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

Does that mean Hawkeye was the highest tier since he was in two side scrolling beat em ups?

Spider-Man: The Videogame had the weirdest roster. Hawkeye and Namor? I wasn't yet all that knowledgeable about Spider-Man at that point and even I knew those choices were way off. There's gotta be some story behind that, something weird about licensing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man: The Videogame had the weirdest roster. Hawkeye and Namor? I wasn't yet all that knowledgeable about Spider-Man at that point and even I knew those choices were way off. There's gotta be some story behind that, something weird about licensing.

Yeah I remember coming across it at a bowling alley and as a huge Spider-Man fan I hit start and was so confused. It's also awesome that the final boss is Kingpin while Green Goblin and Venom are the first two bosses.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Iron Man had his own cartoon and toyline in the 90s and was featured in multiple popular video games.

Thor was mentioned a lot in Adventures In
Babysitting?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Babysitting?

Thor was in one of the Incredible Hulk TV movies in a... kinda good portrayal, honestly speaking.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Thor was in one of the Incredible Hulk TV movies in a... kinda good portrayal, honestly speaking.

Thor and Daredevil were both done pretty well in my opinion

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Sleepwalker

lol

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Iron Man had his own cartoon and toyline in the 90s and was featured in multiple popular video games.

Babysitting?

That was a plot by kingpin

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Love the tier list being based on side scrollers just because it puts people like Nick Fury, Dazzler, and Vision into top tier. Silver Surfer too if we count side scrolling shooters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When people are talking about how Iron Man was a C Tier character or whatever I never took it to mean how recognizable he was to your average person. Truth is outside of a very few (Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America) very few were recognizable to your average person during that era. We're talking pre 2000 and the deluge of superhero media that came around then. I always took the C Tier mentions of Iron Man to being how important he was in universe. When big poo poo went down how big of a role did Iron Man play? How often did Iron Man guest in other people's books or interact with anyone outside of his title? Not much. And most times it was only through way of being one of the Avengers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

When people are talking about how Iron Man was a C Tier character or whatever I never took it to mean how recognizable he was to your average person. Truth is outside of a very few (Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America) very few were recognizable to your average person during that era. We're talking pre 2000 and the deluge of superhero media that came around then. I always took the C Tier mentions of Iron Man to being how important he was in universe. When big poo poo went down how big of a role did Iron Man play? How often did Iron Man guest in other people's books or interact with anyone outside of his title? Not much. And most times it was only through way of being one of the Avengers.

I am trying to remember if Civil War came out before the first Iron Man movie or after, because he played a huge roll in that.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Civil War was 2006-2007, Iron Man The Film was 2008

Notably while Civil War did elevate Iron Man's notoriety a bit it also kind of painted him as the bad guy for a chunk of it (mainly the tie-ins), and the whole series was controversial for inconsistent characterization (mostly in the tie-ins); it made me more aware of Iron Man but also made me less interested in reading about Iron Man

Small edit: Tony in the comics at that point was also, iirc, in a place where he really just... didn't do superhero poo poo anymore? As much? Extremis was like 05 - 06, by the time Civil War hit Iron Man had automated Iron Man armies and nanotech suits in his bloodstream and could hack with his mind and was dealing with global infrastructure crisises and political intrigue and poo poo, not the mainstream big bang boom whammo you buy a Hulk or a Wolverine book for. The end of Civil War came with some soft resets and addendums that put him closer to what would become Movie Iron Man, and then the movie incentivized that baselining even further. It hasn't always been "the same" Iron Man. I could be misremembering a lot of details, though, it's been like 15 years

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 2, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it is also perhaps folly to assume public opinions at large were in any way significantly impacted by what the comics were doing in 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Honestly Bendis is probably the one responsible for really pushing Iron Man to the top tier in universe by way of New Avengers. After that Tony was deeply involved in the larger goings on in universe. And by the time of Civil War they would have known about the movie being in the pipeline. That event was clearly what cemented him to be one of the most significant characters in the Marvel Universe.