Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I suppose, but GALAX HOF boards are like EVGA Kingpin boards: Meant for overclocking to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
It still surprises me that companies keep making these boards. How many could they possibly sell?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's also the best deal because it has the lowest cost per power pin of any 4090!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

funkymonks posted:

It still surprises me that companies keep making these boards. How many could they possibly sell?

Since I already made a comparison to motorsports, that isn’t necessarily the point. The question is how much are you willing to pay to be most of the entries in the 3dmark hall of fame? That becomes a marketing expense.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Counter evidence to this theory night be the big sales and plenty of stock of 6000 series still going. There was a $530 6800XT sold by Newegg earlier, and 6650XTs for $280 and 6700XT for $340 up right now. Those are all more than $100 off MSRP, and deeper price cuts than the 3000 series parts they compete against. Some good values in there for sure.

it's really really really hard to extrapolate "is it afraid" from pricing. AMD could be feeling the pulse of the average buyer in the market and about to gently caress poo poo up on pricing, or maybe purging the last of their old inventory and intends to do none of that at all. Clearing old inventory is a broad directive that can obey a lot of tactical masters so to speak. I think it's tough to say whether they're going high or low just from clearance pricing - that used to be normal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 2, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

repiv posted:

we know almost nothing about RDNA3 and adored just posted a 35 minute video declaring victory for AMD this generation

time is a flat circle

we at least have specs (https://www.angstronomics.com/p/amds-rdna-3-graphics) and some recent claims about the 7900xtx being 2x navi 21 in some synthetic benchmarks. not as much detail as the 40 series leaks but we still have a fair idea of what we should be getting.

unanswered questions are power draw (though it's going to be a fair bit better than nvidia no question so not too important), raytracing performance, and of course pricing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
raytracing is a big enough thing at this point that any card i'd buy is going to have to have good performance in it, if the 7900xtx or w/e has 2x the 3090 in raster but only equivalent to in RT performance, yet lacking DLSS, absolutely no way am i buying it even if it uses 100 less watts

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The 4080 will certainly melt fewer adapter cables by virtue of using less power, at least

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Shipon posted:

raytracing is a big enough thing at this point that any card i'd buy is going to have to have good performance in it, if the 7900xtx or w/e has 2x the 3090 in raster but only equivalent to in RT performance, yet lacking DLSS, absolutely no way am i buying it even if it uses 100 less watts

I’d take a card with raster performance over RT performance. Meaningful RT in a majority of games still seems at least 5 years out.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Inept posted:

I’d take a card with raster performance over RT performance. Meaningful RT in a majority of games still seems at least 5 years out.

I'd take a card with both.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cantide posted:

I'd take a card with both.

Ok but it also catches fire

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shipon posted:

raytracing is a big enough thing at this point

Hmm I don't feel the same way. With consoles continuing to be the baseline and the barrier to entry still being so high in terms of price and performance, it will never take off in a meaningful way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hmm I don't feel the same way. With consoles continuing to be the baseline and the barrier to entry still being so high in terms of price and performance, it will never take off in a meaningful way.

Quoting for posterity, but also because I feel like raytracing is indeed creeping in more steadily, but it might be because it favors the type of games I tend to play - i.e., first-person shooters.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shipon posted:

I just got Spider-Man Remastered in the recent sale and gotta agree, at 3440x1440 it looks gorgeous with reflections maxed but it does make my 3080 chug a bit :ohdear:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Most FPS players value frames too much for that poo poo. I've been on the "RT is a gimmick" train for a long while, but I have turned on RTX in Fortnite and been impressed at the RT lighting in some building interiors. But it hurts too much to leave on when playing to win, a feature best left to Creative mode.

It's not the next Doom that sells raytracing. It's the next SimCity or Minecraft.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just a one-off as is the case with Mac gaming but still very good performance

https://twitter.com/tomsguide/status/1585888775833542657?s=20&t=uTJDd2ggflMjUiaMCugrHQ

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

funkymonks posted:

I bought a 980 Ti HOF just because it was white and I was building a white themed PC.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think it's been pretty well established before that the arm macs could be pretty good at gaming, just they need ports, which largely don't get made because apple has actively refused to care about games in the past so there's not much of a market. i guess they are dipping their toes in the water now though if they funded an re8 port - capcom surely didn't decide to do that on their own?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I’m pretty sure it was paid for to be a showcase for Mac gaming frameworks. Since it uses both Metal 3 and Apple’s upscaler to hit 1080p on the base M1 models. Both are pretty good but even as a Mac user I’m not expecting this to lead to anything because who would trust that THIS TIME Apple is serious even if they have the hardware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

it uses both Metal 3 and Apple’s upscaler to hit 1080p on the base M1 models.

Am I wrong that that sounds underwhelming (whatever the frame rate)? I may have had the wrong expectations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it is a low power laptop with only an igpu, op

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah a fanless laptop with an iGPU. Though the gameplay videos I’ve seen show it struggling and getting real hot when a lot of things are happening. It still has its limits but running there for me is way more interesting than running on the full beef Mac Studios.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Craptacular! posted:

Most FPS players value frames too much for that poo poo. I've been on the "RT is a gimmick" train for a long while, but I have turned on RTX in Fortnite and been impressed at the RT lighting in some building interiors. But it hurts too much to leave on when playing to win, a feature best left to Creative mode.

It's not the next Doom that sells raytracing. It's the next SimCity or Minecraft.

Not all FPS players are frame-chasing competitive multiplayer people. IMO it's pretty telling that one of the earlier implementations of decent RT - Metro Exodus - was a single player FPS. You've also got your coop stuff where it's technically multiplayer but you're not worried about millisecond differences - e.g. Borderlands.

Then you've also got an entire sea of fairly casual multiplayer FPS gamers who want the eye candy. An old college buddy who I game with quite a bit (and myself tbh) is in this boat specifically because, as he puts it, "every time I'm playing this I'm drinking beer and it's not the graphics that are going to slow me down."

I don't have anything but my gut on this, but I suspect that for every person playing fortnite at 1024 with lowest settings for maximum frames there's a dozen people with poo poo cranked up because they just don't take it that seriously.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I keep saying this, but it all hinges on how widespread adoption of UE5 and specifically Lumen will be. So far, I believe the only announced game confirmed to use Lumen is the Silent Hill remake. That will presumably be a ray-tracing-only game like Metro Exodus EE (yes, even on console). How many more of those we'll see and how soon we'll see them remains to be seen, but I have a feeling that "meaningful ray tracing" is happening much sooner than five years from now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I mean, poo poo, I'm the guy who just bought a used 2080 to replace a 1070 and the first thing I did was install Metro EE and Control just to go "oooh pretty." I'm also gaming at 1440.

Not everyone is pushing a 4k display or three. RT is resource intensive, but between 1080/1440, DLSS, and people who are OK with 30-60fps there's a lot of room out there for developers to implement it even today. And, again, a ton of more casual gamers who specifically want the pretty pictures because they just want to flop on their couch for an hour or two in the evening with a beer or a bong and go "oooohh."

I remember the reviews when Metro: E first launched and everyone gushing over the RT shadows but also pointing out that you really needed a top-of-the-line system (high end 20-series card at the time) to make it worth while. The cards that were expensive halo products three years ago are now on eBay for a couple hundred bucks, and anything modern that is even remotely mid-tier (so excluding poo poo like the 3050) at least matches the performance. Importantly even consoles have basic RT capabilities now.

Now think of what that landscape looks like in another couple of years when we're gossiping about the latest catastrafuck in the 5090 launch and 30 series are the two-gen old cheap card on ebay.

We're very quickly getting to a point where for devs RT isn't going to be an interesting flourish aimed at the top of the market, but something that's accessible to the unwashed gaming masses. At that point it makes sense for it to be another included feature.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 2, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
There are certainly limits on how widely RT will be used on games, but from the other angle gamers can also make a choice.

I own Control on both Steam and PS Plus, but the PS version will not be run. Even on PC side I waited close to a year after purchase until I upgraded to 3-series before installing it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I turn on RT for Fortnite because it also has DLSS and I'm only pushing 1080p 75hz lol

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

I used RT on Control and that is the extent for my RT usage. I was more amazed at the tech the developers used for the environmental destruction. RT is starting to feel like the gimmick that TV Makers were using in the early 2000s when flat tv sales slumped. 3D TV is cool and all, but it is not worth the tax to get it over the normal version of the same TV and they perform the same. DLSS is a game changer and the fact that I have AAA games that are still getting close to 120-130FPS on a 3070 at 1440p is stopping me from getting a new video card for a long time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Termyie posted:

I used RT on Control and that is the extent for my RT usage. I was more amazed at the tech the developers used for the environmental destruction. RT is starting to feel like the gimmick that TV Makers were using in the early 2000s when flat tv sales slumped. 3D TV is cool and all, but it is not worth the tax to get it over the normal version of the same TV and they perform the same. DLSS is a game changer and the fact that I have AAA games that are still getting close to 120-130FPS on a 3070 at 1440p is stopping me from getting a new video card for a long time.

RT is good at ruining other non RT games. After playing Control with full reflections I really notice “cheating” on reflections, missing reflections, semitransparent materials and other real world stuff I guess my mind just sorted away as not in video games.

Like, in Control you can walk up to a sign behind some glass and see a partial reflection of Jesse and scene behind you as well. That’s the way glass normally works in the real world and I don’t think I’ve seen another game so it properly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there was a good example of that doing the rounds the other day

a mostly great looking clip from the new COD, which is betrayed by hideous SSR artifacts

https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1583412762176524288

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

repiv posted:

there was a good example of that doing the rounds the other day

a mostly great looking clip from the new COD, which is betrayed by hideous SSR artifacts

https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1583412762176524288

Yeah, it’s COD, but holy gently caress if they didn’t kill it graphics wise with MW and MW2. The usage of light is incredible. The facial animations are just god tier too. The sound design is also goddamn solid. There’s a surprising amount to appreciate in a COD game, surprisingly.

(Or unsurprisingly given the budget these games have)

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

As far as Mac games go, I'm way more excited to check out the No Man's Sky port and see how it looks on a "retina" display.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Call of Duty Vanguard was a mess, but Cold War before it was good, and Modern Warfare 2022 is excellent. People shouldn't thumb their nose at it just because it's the BROZONE HOORAH AGITPROP extravaganza (which it is, though)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah don’t think I’m taking advice from the publication that gave us “Just Buy It”

Edit: and Tom’s Guide is supposed to be the “sleazier, clickbait” division of Tom’s Hardware, yikes

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 2, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I will say that Shadow of the Tomb Raider runs great on my M2 Macbook (at 1080p med/high, it's stuck at about 30 FPSish at native res)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I game on a mac occasionally, when it works it works really well for a fanless, gpu-less machine. But there's lots of stuff that doesn't work at all and some things that are pretty hit or miss. I wouldn't ever suggest a Mac as a "Gaming Machine" but if you have one anyway I think the experience is a lot better than most people assume.

The Macbook Air is a banger laptop for around $800 in general though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The Mac thing is genuinely impressive, but if anyone is now "a mac gamer" because of it, as opposed to "Oh cool, I can now buy one less device", then I've got a bridge to sell them.

Used to be that I was the one that was playing games whose hardware was woefully underpowered and couldn't reasonably be expected to hold 30 FPS, let alone 60. I cleared ICC10 at 5 FPS, on a T-bird clocking at 1.6 because the KT333 I was on wouldn't allow for anything beyond stock, and an MX440.

I will never willingly play games at < a locked 60 FPS again and will go at settings with a machete to achieve it, but I am always thinking about how this poo poo affects the kids out there that are where I was fifteen, twenty, twenty-five years ago.

Seriously, it's about goddamn time that we got iGPUs that can at least do what a 750ti can.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 2, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hearing positive Mac gaming feedback has me even more excited to see what they do with their upcoming headset. Rumor mill is that it'll have an M-chip in it.

The dogshit qualcomm chips are holding back other standalone headsets, so hopefully Apple can put out something truly next-gen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the monkeys paw curls and you get a headset that's ten times more powerful than the quest, but its app market follows the iOS/Android model so all of the games are glorified slot machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I cleared ICC10 at 5 FPS,

when my POS laptop was chugging while raiding SSC I'd just make the window smaller - as a pally tank I'd have the cooldown rotation memorized anyway so it's not like I needed to be able to read the UI at a quarter of the screen real-estate