Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
If you look at the days of the week in French then some become more obvious:

Lundi (monday) - lunar day
Mardi (Tuesday) - mars
Mercredi (Wednesday) - mercury
Jeudi (Thursday) - Jupiter
Vendredi (Friday) - Venus
Samedi (Saturday) - Saturn
Dimanche (Sunday) - it roughly means lord day in French, but Sun day also appkies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If you look at the days of the week in French then some become more obvious:

Lundi (monday) - lunar day
Mardi (Tuesday) - mars
Mercredi (Wednesday) - mercury
Jeudi (Thursday) - Jupiter
Vendredi (Friday) - Venus
Samedi (Saturday) - Saturn
Dimanche (Sunday) - it roughly means lord day in French, but Sun day also appkies
And in Japanese, which uses the same characters for the days of the week as for the celestial bodies. Or possibly vice-versa!

Portuguese, though, counts from Sunday, the "fair". So you get "second-fair" all the way through "sixth-fair," then Saturday (sábado) and Sunday (domingo), which are more like the other Romance languages.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like Hebrew's no nonsense approach of:

First Day
Second Day
Third Day
Fourth Day
Fifth Day
Sixth Day
Rest Day

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
That Hasbulla "kid" I keep seeing everywhere is a 20-year-old man.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Splendid posted:

Holy poo poo yeah I didn't know either

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Splendid posted:

Who was it who hated him and wanted to punt him. Someone super obnoxious I want to say

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was it who hated him and wanted to punt him. Someone super obnoxious I want to say

Conor Mcgregor

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Milo and POTUS posted:

Me

gently caress that fascist midget

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

verbal enema posted:

Me

gently caress that fascist midget

hey, that word is generally considered to be an offensive slur by the people to whom it refers. i have no idea who this guy is or whether he's a fascist or not but you still probably shouldn't use a slur to refer to him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DontMockMySmock posted:

hey, that word is generally considered to be an offensive slur by the people to whom it refers. i have no idea who this guy is or whether he's a fascist or not but you still probably shouldn't use a slur to refer to him.

I was gonna mock your dwarf activism a bit, but a quick google turned up multiple statements from little people's associations supporting it, so yeah, I guess maybe we should avoid it.

Especially actively using it as an insult

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RFC2324 posted:

I was gonna mock your dwarf activism a bit, but a quick google turned up multiple statements from little people's associations supporting it, so yeah, I guess maybe we should avoid it.

Especially actively using it as an insult

Not to poo poo on your moment of personal growth, but that feels pretty on-topic for this thread because I feel like that's clearly been an insult since the 90s (?). I'm not American though so might have been different over there

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not to poo poo on your moment of personal growth, but that feels pretty on-topic for this thread because I feel like that's clearly been an insult since the 90s (?). I'm not American though so might have been different over there

They also use ‘gypped’ still.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah that's a big yikes, I like that that slur is the bowdlerized version of an even-worse (or maybe just equally -bad) anti-Semitic slur

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Torquemada posted:

They also use ‘gypped’ still.

That's a weird one because, as far as I can tell, tons of people (me included) grew up with it just being a verb to use without having a clue that there was any particular etymology or context to even worry about. Fortunately, I do think there's been a lot more awareness of that over the years, and I don't remember the last time I heard it come up outside of discussions why it and its related ethnic term are hateful.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Failed Imagineer posted:

There is a difference between an insult and a slur. I was aware of it as an insult, but not as an actual slur in any active way.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's a weird one because, as far as I can tell, tons of people (me included) grew up with it just being a verb to use without having a clue that there was any particular etymology or context to even worry about. Fortunately, I do think there's been a lot more awareness of that over the years, and I don't remember the last time I heard it come up outside of discussions why it and its related ethnic term are hateful.

I honestly think that the House episode that used the word brought the fact that it's a slur to a lot of Americans who didn't know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I didn't know for a long time because I was introduced to the term from a 1001 Jokes style book, "what did the pharaoh say when the master mason overcharged for a pyramid? Aegyptus" which is just tortured, not nearly as good as the toot in common joke

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

I’m not even sure how much we really understood the idea of a “gypsy” as an ethnic group really. I mean obviously even in our pop culture they had darker complexions and sometimes accents and stuff, but they were almost more a lifestyle you could run away and join and not like a real ethnic group or anything like that. Or even something from a fairy tale type of thing

Like there was this vague notion of the Roma but also not really.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I didn't know for a long time because I was introduced to the term from a 1001 Jokes style book, "what did the pharaoh say when the master mason overcharged for a pyramid? Aegyptus" which is just tortured, not nearly as good as the toot in common joke

Weirdly the word g*psy comes from the misconception that the people it refers to originate from Egypt, so that joke isn't even really making a pun, it's just going back to the origin of the word.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well that's cool, etymologically speaking

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I’m not even sure how much we really understood the idea of a “gypsy” as an ethnic group really. I mean obviously even in our pop culture they had darker complexions and sometimes accents and stuff, but they were almost more a lifestyle you could run away and join and not like a real ethnic group or anything like that. Or even something from a fairy tale type of thing

Like there was this vague notion of the Roma but also not really.

It's when Stevie Nicks wears a shawl and spins in a circle.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I learned from Cher that gypsies are just marginalized people trying to get by.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Brawnfire posted:

Incidentally, that's where the word comes from.

They thought they were Egyptian.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well that's cool, etymologically speaking.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They’re all Greek to me

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

They’re all Greek to me

I hate this post.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

When I first read about Roma I thought someone hosed up spellcheck on Roman :shobon:

I was very confused

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

christmas boots posted:

I’m not even sure how much we really understood the idea of a “gypsy” as an ethnic group really. I mean obviously even in our pop culture they had darker complexions and sometimes accents and stuff, but they were almost more a lifestyle you could run away and join and not like a real ethnic group or anything like that.

Boy do I got news for you about what "ethnicity" means.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's when Stevie Nicks wears a shawl and spins in a circle.

Yeah, growing up in my part of 1970's/80's US, the word meant "people from Somewhere in Europe that travel around in wagons, usually to carnivals, dressed like hippies/peasants. There's an old woman who will tell your fortune and/or put a curse on you. She's got heavy makeup, a beauty mark, and big gold hoop earrings."

And, yes, that was my totally"innocent" Halloween costume when I was like 7 or 8. Ugh. It was quick and easy, my mom just made me up and threw some of her vast collection of old hippie clothes/scarves/jewelry on me. But that's not a pic I'm throwing online.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Garrand posted:

I honestly think that the House episode that used the word brought the fact that it's a slur to a lot of Americans who didn't know.

That episode of House was my first time hearing the word at all. I have no idea how, since it seems to be in pretty common usage now that I pay attention.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

Well that's cool, etymologically speaking.

Another bit of cool etymology relates to the origins of that name; it was believed they came from Egypt originally.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Well that's cool, egyptologically speaking.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Incidentally, Roma were called tater (pl. tatere) in Danish until the 19th century because they were believed to come from Tatarstan. Also sigøjner from German zigeuner, ultimately from Greek Αθίγγανος "untouchable", originally used for members of a Christian Melchizedekian sect.

Basically, people just gave them any random origin.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Nov 2, 2022

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
That's what I get for not refreshing for 10 minutes :negative:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, don't worry, you're just in time for some rad etymology facts!

e: exactly how bad could things get as a result of getting etymology mixed up with entomology?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tree Bucket posted:

e: exactly how bad could things get as a result of getting etymology mixed up with entomology?

It would bug a lot of people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tree Bucket posted:

That's none of your beesiness! :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Basically, people just gave them any random origin.
See also turkey, the bird, which the French (among others, including the Turkish) thought came from India (dinde) and the Portuguese thought came from Peru (peru), while the English figured it came from Turkey. It's native to North America. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, growing up in my part of 1970's/80's US, the word meant "people from Somewhere in Europe that travel around in wagons, usually to carnivals, dressed like hippies/peasants. There's an old woman who will tell your fortune and/or put a curse on you. She's got heavy makeup, a beauty mark, and big gold hoop earrings."

The Dark Carnies