Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wouldn't say it's a distraction - they need to clear all the soldiers out of the area so they can do whatever it is they need to do with the hub. They waited until the Coppers showed up and did their dammakhert nonsense, since they presumably need it to be hooked up for their plan, and now the Black Tongues are going to go in there and use it. The soldiers would probably object to them doing that.

The Crescian battlewright's words might be revealing here - maybe they're going to prevent Alds from harming Crescians or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
That's also presumably why they're prioritizing the plats - plat child soldier artillery are the only thing the depleted Grenzlan garrison has in quantity that has the range to potentially inconvenience the strike force going for the hub. you know, what with practically all their vliegeng flying off to kill the Queen

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
All right, so I remember that Bell got nommed by Ruck. I know efheby poison can steal memories. But it looks like what also happened is that some compulsion was put into Bell's mind? Is that new or

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

All right, so I remember that Bell got nommed by Ruck. I know efheby poison can steal memories. But it looks like what also happened is that some compulsion was put into Bell's mind? Is that new or

Yeah I think this is the first time we've seen something like this?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, if this is something paranormal it's definitely new.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think it's just a visual metaphor for bell's fanaticism, under all his pomp he's an egomaniac who thinks he's been divinely ordained to take the throne and ruck's tender ministrations in yerta cosplay haven't helped any

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It seems like an actual hallucination to me, but I don't think Ruck's in control of it. Just Bell's mind starting to be swiss cheese.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Both strong possibilities, yeah.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ruckmearkha got to Bell by pretending to be Yerta. How much of that is Ruck actually plotting something and how much of that is him just loving around is an unresolved question.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chea's smile is absolutely adorable.

Hey, Ruck, here's Karl!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Would Chea have been found out already if she didn’t have green shoes and a golden color at the hem of the skirt? She really seems to have lucked out for kinda blending in despite the poor hiding strategy.

quote:

Au contraire. As a stealth game aficionado I give Chea perfect marks for avoiding the light and the sweeping cone of the patrolling guards. If Karl had just passed a hair slower, she would have shanked him from behind directly through his carotid artery and windpipe, then dragged him into the nearest air duct with not a drop spilt.

we were robbed

habeasdorkus posted:

Chea's smile is absolutely adorable.

Hey, Ruck, here's Karl!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_56.html

Ufal makes sense, speaks truth, and is probably digging his own grave by doing so, both because he probably isn't making any friends here with all the schemers, and because Ash likes to kill likeable characters. Unlikeable ones too, of course, but I think the general reaction to Ufal is "so, this guy actually seems alright in a sea of extremely flawed characters".

Writing flawed but believable characters is one of Ash's strong points, so it's almost a rarity in this world to see someone who seems like a fairly salt of the earth reasonable type. I guess Mrs. Ripa ended up relatively fine though, one of the few (not extremely minor) generally wholesome characters that first come to mind whose story in the comic has reportedly come to an end. Matty probably still ranks high in the death pool though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
My take is Ufal's flaw is that despite the minimal power officially granted by his title he actually enjoys exceptional potential to exert political influence, but throughout the story he's only ever opened his mouth to point out things everyone already knows, and even that he's only done very sparing out of apparent dread to rock the boat.

So while him being an honest man just doing his job is a correct read, we know he has the cunning to see through the intrigue yet opts to largely keep his distance out of some mix of cowardice and willful naivete.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

This could mean nothing, but from the Q&A tumblr, considered not reposting, but spoilered for sure at least. It might not be a spoiler because Ash typically doesn't give anything plot wise in the future away on there, and occasionally does some lighthearted trolling of the fans, but :siren:if in doubt do not read:siren:.

Ashley posted:

quote:

It means I give all the characters I love best the most interesting and best deaths. Who will eat Matty, I wonder?

Anonymous asked:

quote:

"Who will eat Matty, I wonder?" please do not let that adorable little baby get eaten, ashley, that's just mean.

Ashley responded:

quote:

You’re not gonna like what’s on the horizon, fam.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ashley has teased Matty’s death for years, he’s just exceptionally eat-able at the moment

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Exactly. The moment he was introduced it was like 'boy I can't wait to see how he's gruesomely killed next page!' And so forth.

Now if Ash starts talking about Matty ever telling his own son anything, THEN he's a goner.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Misplacing Ruckmearkha is probably not good.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Plot twist, he ran off to go look for Karl. Not realizing that Karl was right there with the nobles all along.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I look forward to seeing how everything goes wrong for everyone except him

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Runa posted:

I look forward to seeing how everything goes wrong for everyone except him

Whatever happens to everyone, himself included: "It is fine."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i like that maur puts a brave face on it and good ol Darkest just skips immediately to "well, gently caress"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't make men and thieves and murder and money!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
creature of misery and violence incarnate left conflicted after encountering world’s most killable child

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

We are dying

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_62.html

Duane getting a chance to be cool and showy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cmon, boo, get your poo poo together

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Previous page, Duane looking like a badass.

Next, current page, Duane looking like a goof.

It's the law of Duane.

Sometimes one or the other lasts longer or shorter, but the cycle always repeats itself, lol.

Also on another note, interesting to see that these two-toes have a beef specifically with Cresce, and tell the Ald to get out of there. I mean it makes sense considering that it's been stated that they are pretty rare up north in Alderode, and Cresce is the primary nation that has exploited them and is now rounding them up into internment camps and slaughtering many of them. I just find it interesting that at least some of them have a distinct (even if perhaps to a small extent) difference of opinion between "Crescians" and "All The drat Humans".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah the days of Alderode messing with the two toes are largely in the distant past

If they knew what Shaensigin knows they would probably be more unhappy with Alderode, but even then Cresce is the immediate problem and threatening the Queen into treating them better is the (practically questionable) immediate plan for the non-Prakhuta lizards

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

Previous page, Duane looking like a badass.

Next, current page, Duane looking like a goof.

It's the law of Duane.

Sometimes one or the other lasts longer or shorter, but the cycle always repeats itself, lol.

Also on another note, interesting to see that these two-toes have a beef specifically with Cresce, and tell the Ald to get out of there. I mean it makes sense considering that it's been stated that they are pretty rare up north in Alderode, and Cresce is the primary nation that has exploited them and is now rounding them up into internment camps and slaughtering many of them. I just find it interesting that at least some of them have a distinct (even if perhaps to a small extent) difference of opinion between "Crescians" and "All The drat Humans".

There are parallels to be made with the Haitian revolution. In its darkest days, if you were French, no matter if you man, woman, or child, you were kill on sight. However, if you were a non-francophone European or better yet, Polish, you were safe.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wait, I thought the Alds genocided the two-toes. There's a whole population of them living up in Alderode?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My understanding is: literally everyone genocided the two-toes, alderode just didn't end up with a surface population when the dust settled because the surface is too cold there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

There have never been Inak in Alderode. Besides the tribe Shaensigin took with her in the flashback chapter it's likely either there just aren't any or that they exist in too few numbers and/or in such remote (deep) locations they simply never had contact with humans in the North.

Inak genocide and enslavement, at least within recorded history, is a sin exclusive to the rest of the continent.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's kinda nice that Elka is to all intents and purposes treating Duane like a person now. This might admittedly be because she has about fifty bigger problems in any given five minute span and is a practical woman.

also lol at duane explicitly calling prakhuta's monologue a 'crazy villain speech'

A.o.D. posted:

There are parallels to be made with the Haitian revolution. In its darkest days, if you were French, no matter if you man, woman, or child, you were kill on sight. However, if you were a non-francophone European or better yet, Polish, you were safe.

a troubling and essentially perfect analogy

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That was Toma speaking in the last panel.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Conspiratiorist posted:

There have never been Inak in Alderode. Besides the tribe Shaensigin took with her in the flashback chapter it's likely either there just aren't any or that they exist in too few numbers and/or in such remote (deep) locations they simply never had contact with humans in the North.

Inak genocide and enslavement, at least within recorded history, is a sin exclusive to the rest of the continent.

Then what was Shaensigin talking about when he said Alderode took away their sky?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Staltran posted:

Then what was Shaensigin talking about when he said Alderode took away their sky?

Insofar as I have a leading theory on this, it's Ssael making the dammakhert or something, collapsing the bulk of near surface first materials and the entire ecosystem the inak were living in. There USED to be inak in Alderode. Just not within the living memory of the oldest weirdest coppers (probably).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So what do you think the Inaks want with the Dammakhert node? I'm thinking either they want to give themselves souls (unlikely since Cutter regards it as torture) or they want to take the souls away from the humans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's not a dammakhert node, it's a regular crescian khert node, albeit a pretty fancy / advanced / high capacity one. I think it's plausible the non-Prakhuta inaks are being pretty upfront and accurate about their desires: they don't really care about the node, they want to coerce Maha into giving them rights.

Prakhuta is almost certainly Up To Something, and he's definitely expressed a desire to do serious damage to the khert as an endgoal in itself. And Ana would like to make it safe to die.

Does Sessine want the same thing at this specific time? ...eh, maybe? if the silver weapon can actually break the khert, this is a great proof of concept before she guides it into Alderode for whatever monstrous big picture scheme she's got goin'

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Insofar as I have a leading theory on this, it's Ssael making the dammakhert or something, collapsing the bulk of near surface first materials and the entire ecosystem the inak were living in. There USED to be inak in Alderode. Just not within the living memory of the oldest weirdest coppers (probably).

Yeah, hence my pointing out "within recorded history"; the origin of the Dammakhert is far enough back in time it's become shrouded in myth and mystery, which is in no doubt aided by a bit of conspiracy, but an established and oft-enough repeated worldbuilding element is that Alderode lacks the largesse of First Materials its southern neighbors enjoy, and when someone connected those two dots posing a question on tumblr to the effect of whether the initial deployment of the Dammakhert could've had an effect similar to the First World -> Second World transition, Cope's response was to play coy :)

Regardless, Shaensigin certainly acted like she had some point of contact with the ancient Rortidian composer-equivalents, and it stands to reason that at the time she also had a cohort of Inak, so something must've happened that drove her and her children from the North even if it's a history no one but her remembers.

Tangentially, I wonder if the Tain's development of pymary and the Inak's deceptively high proficiency in natural sciences are connected in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Double update tonight.

Guard your heart, Captain. The dead are here. And they are armed.

hot on the heels of the core silver weapon, and Prakhuta, and Starfish 2.0

and while Elka is obnoxious that can be a plus