Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Gamerofthegame posted:

belatedly, the whole invention of communism and stuff happens by event mostly when you get that far in the tech tree and you can convert IG leaders into be radical or etc that'd be on board with it

until then it's just a bunch of lads who want worker rights

Even that might not help because radical IG leaders don't have an opinion about the council republic law. It's actually kind of infuriating!

vvv yeah, that's why it's dumb that the "I want communist IG leaders" decision gives you those

No Pants fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

radicals are libertarians, not leftists. you want vanguardists for communism

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think a good addition to this game (even if it was switched off for the AI) would be if I am a vassal or client state of a bigger country, I should be allowed to pay my boss money or obligations or something, in order to annex their other client states, or move from puppet to dominion and get more autonomy, or this kind of thing. Just turning the existing federate Australia and Canada journals into a dedicated mechanical system.

I really like that becoming a client state is a totally valid option for a small African or Asian country in this game, and it'd be nice to see the range of things you can do as a client state to be broadened further.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re uprisings and their goals, the one that bugs me is that the Indian rebellion always seems to be led by someone called e.g. “Reginald Smythe-Reginald-Featherstonehaugh” when you’d think it would be, y’know, Nana Sahib or someone.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
one thing that I've not seen people talk about is your military leaders - you want to get ones from factions you like and with personal ideologies you want, and then promote them to level 5. doesn't even matter if they have troops to command. they are very likely to end up as party leaders and its one great way to do poo poo like make the intellectuals, army, rural folk, and labor unions all run by communists, feminists, and nihilists so you can slam down the landlords faster.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Re uprisings and their goals, the one that bugs me is that the Indian rebellion always seems to be led by someone called e.g. “Reginald Smythe-Reginald-Featherstonehaugh” when you’d think it would be, y’know, Nana Sahib or someone.

there is a difference ingame between a secessionist movement and an ideological tussle between the ruling classes.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
A minor patch just dropped https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-4.1553580/

quote:

###################
# Game Balance
###################
# Economy
- Petit-Bourgeoisie now also care about government wages
- Slashing government wages will now reduce prestige
- Slashing military wages will now reduce training rate
- Debt slavery can now enslave pops up to wealth level 9, in reduced numbers for each point
of wealth
- Reduce the max number of pops enslaved each week by debt slavery from 5% to 0.5% of
state population
- Debt slavery will no longer enslave additional pops when slaves is 20% or more of the state
population
- Tweak subsistence production in decentralized nations so African pops don't start at
starvation levels
# Politics
- Increased the chance of progressive political movements appearing over the course of the
game
- Movements to Preserve now have a larger effect on the chance for a law to stall, making it
harder to pass laws opposed by powerful groups
- Political Movements for or against changes in Slavery and Government principles laws will
now be more radical
- Reduced base effect of Propagandists Intelligentsia trait from 50% to 25%
- Reduced effect of guaranteed liberties on loyalists and radicals growth
# Colonization
- Native Uprisings now get a significant bonus to their combat capabilities, mainly on the
defensive
- Reduced the chance of Native Uprisings occuring when provinces are colonized
###################
# AI
###################
# Diplomacy
- AI is now a bit less likely to back down in diplomatic plays
- AI is now a bit more likely to get involved in diplomatic plays
- Make the AI more keen on swaying countries to its side if outmatched in a diplomatic play
# War
- AI is now a lot more focused on taking land-adjacent states and conquering contiguous land
areas in general
- Increase AI aggression against Unrecognized countries after unlocking Civilizing Mission
# Colonization
- Increased AI tendency to get involved in Native Uprisings slightly
###################
# Interface
###################
# Tooltips
- Improve revenue predictions when constructing buildings to show more accurate and useful
data
###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Fixed a bug where capitulating in one war could cause your generals in another war to
standby
- Added additional check to prevent monuments from being targeted in tutorial
- Added a check to the Declare Interest Tutorial that was miscounting the maximum amount of
Declared Interests possible.
- Fix issue where Investment Pool could be used for disallowed building types
- Fix issue where predicted price for goods after goods substitution would sometimes show the
wrong value
- Political movements can now start organizing a revolution at 50 radicalism rather than 100
(100 is needed for the revolution to actually begin though)
- Fixed typos in several defines
- Fix pop attraction reasons tooltip CTD in Asian languages
- Fixed a CTD caused by trying to create a shipping lane between two market areas with at
least one of them being only nominally coastal due to the entire coast being impassable
- Fixed a CTD that could be triggered when clicking on the "mobilize all" button"
- Fixed late game CTD when transferring troops
- Fix CTD when hovering sell orders after having country join your market (__chkstk
(chkstk.asm: 109))
- Fix CTD in NPdxParticle2Internal::SParticlePool::GetActive
- Fix CTD in CJominiSplineNetworkGraphics::GetStripLengthInternal

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder if any of that fixes battles involving way too few regiments.

The other thing that bugs me is how all the leaders live to extreme old age.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Gort posted:

The other thing that bugs me is how all the leaders live to extreme old age.

now requires import of adrenochrome

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The standard interest groups won't prefer something as extreme as that, you need a vanguardist leader for the group and then they will support it

Gamerofthegame posted:

belatedly, the whole invention of communism and stuff happens by event mostly when you get that far in the tech tree and you can convert IG leaders into be radical or etc that'd be on board with it

until then it's just a bunch of lads who want worker rights

Thanks fellas, I guess I need to wait then.

Am I crazy or does the state of Santa Cruz in South America have a bonus to iron mines but no ability to build iron mines?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So with the AI defines fix hopefully producing stronger AI economies, and with there apparently being a bug with decentralised subsistence farmers constantly starving, this might reduce migration a bit as well. I guess that explains why Africans were so keen on moving to basically anywhere else.

It's good to see that they're aggressively tweaking the balance of politics as the current implementation is just too easy for the player to work with most of the time.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Pakled posted:

I succeeded in an American West expedition, and then my general got stuck as "busy" for the rest of his life and couln't be mobilized, so I just had a bunch of my divisions permanently unusable until the guy died. I couldn't even use the console to kill him.

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, I've been save-editing to fix this but it's a pain.

Mister Bates posted:

and I’m losing a war because one of my generals has been ‘busy’ for over ten years after failing a Congo expedition, without an option to fire him or reassign his troops

I ended up with THREE generals/admirals stuck on expeditions in the American West, so I dug through the files and tested a bunch of events to try and fix it through the console.

If you trigger an expedition failure event with "event expedition_events.205" it will bring home a "busy" leader, even if you have no current expedition. Unfortunately, you'll eat the penalty for a failed expedition, which is like 10% authority and I think prestige? Not optimal but you'll have your mil leader(s) back

Hope this helps anyone currently stuck waiting for their general to die.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Well that's a very minor patch if it both makes rebellions more likely to happen and doesn't fix the thing where revolutions produce infamy and victorious rebels can't be targeted in diplomacy (even leaving alone the party where revolutionary states just change the one law that triggered things). That aspect of the game is probably the most broken and I can't imagine any of those fixes are very difficult, so color me somewhat disappointed.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Well, first impression in a fresh game is positive. Ottomans even managed to win their first war against Egypt.

I'm not optimistic about making the AI more likely to intervene in plays and less likely to back down though. Nations were already too eager to jump into hellwars for no reason. Now a GB play to annex #201 ranked unrecognized minor Kazembe has resulted in France joining the other side, mobilizing, and invading Britain, taking half a million casualties so far. Great use of both nations' time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Did a 30 year hands-off run. Prussia was extremely aggro, starting plays typically no less than three months after the last one ended. They were in a state of constant warfare against either france, austria, or russia, often only to conquer some random OPM. It was kind of ridiculous. They may have formed the NGF if given enough time, though it would've been a very drawn-out and bloody path to doing so.

The liberal uprisings seem a little stronger in Europe now. Prussia was faced with revolution and was forced to enact a few law changes, though nothing seriously consequential.

America was inches away from civil war from... the industrialists who wanted to repeal child labor laws. There was still no real drama over slavery, with no attempts to ban it.

Japan failed to build any heavy industry in those 30 years. I wasn't expecting much here since nothing in the changelogs indicated a change, but yeah, the AI still doesn't know how to industrialize a country that starts with practically nothing.

Overall, it's an improvement, though not a very big one. I think Prussia being so aggro all the time is going to make playing in Europe a bit of a pain.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
gdi i binged this game yesterday to be done with it

why do i want to play it more

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

gdi i binged this game yesterday to be done with it

why do i want to play it more

I'm trying to hold myself back from playing because it's clearly going to be a much better experience after some patching but equally game is still fun

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like it's good that this is being addressed because multicultralism is pretty much a no-brainer right now and way too easy to get passed super early, but I do feel like racism should be a stick rather than a carrot. Like I think the issue with multiculturalism is it's kind of a silly "racism is over" button where all discrimination stops because it's against the law. It strikes me as the sort of thing where discrimination is an element that is always present, but some kind of institution exists that mitigates them, with higher levels of religious/cultural tolerance laws unlocking higher levels of the institution. Then you'd have to actually commit resources to that institution because you can take racism out of official policy by just passing the law, but you can't stop your people from being racist unless you take an active effort to enforce protection of minorities (and I feel like even at maximum level it should never reduce it to zero, this is the 19th century and even in the 21st century we very much have not solved that problem).

This would also play nicely with colonialism because institutions don't apply in unincorporated states, and it is a bit weird and ahistorical that you have countries carving up Africa and none of those native Africans want independence because oh well, it's a multicultural nation, they aren't being discriminated against. Hell even with colonial exploitation on it's easy to end up with less radicalism in Africa than in your own home states.

Some other random thoughts on this that don't really fit into my main point:

-discrimination could also be mitigated by the clout of interest groups, with those that favour more multicultural policies leading to lower effects from discrimination the more power they have and vice versa for those that favour ethnocentric policies. This would open up the door to social engineering as a way to deal with discrimination rather than making it purely a factor of investment. The idea here being that by cultivating a population that genuinely believes in multiculturalism and religious tolerance, you don't need to expend as much top down effort to enforce it.

-the existing "cultural traits" system for determining who is/isn't discriminated against could still work and I think it makes sense, I just think it should be less of a binary thing. Like maybe how much discrimination a pop experiences is modified by the "cultural distance" from the primary culture(s)/state religion.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The idea that you can just press a button and now intolerance is over is real dumb. Like, the game already takes into consideration that the state cannot impose its will in other regards, but apparently racism can be solved with the stroke of a pen?

Something like "You get 25% of the benefit right away, but the remaining 75% is scaled by how much political support it actually has." would make a lot more sense.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I dunno that I agree. Like, the authority penalty for multiculti/church and state/democracy etc is already enough to give me pause. Loyalist/radicals penalties on top of that and I don't know if I'd ever take those laws unless I was roleplaying. Or trying to set up a migration cheese strat, but I've yet to have a game where I'm really hurting for labour.
I feel like with the ostensible point of the game being tending to your little garden in a very roleplay sort of way, it actually makes a lot of sense to make a truly tolerant society an extremely hard to achieve capstone to your campaign. Like, the major challenge of the game is creating an actually nice society for everyone you have dominion over, with imperialism and intolerance being the tools players end up resorting to for lack of viable alternatives for their current position/abilities.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Stuff definitely seems to kick off more. Loaded up my 1896 Belgium game and within 5 years the UK, France and Austria all had proletarian uprisings. Austria also had some national uprisings. Might be a coincidence but probably not.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Either the game massively overuses the bandit trait or the career transition from literal highwayman ro politician or general was very common in 19th century Australia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MinistryofLard posted:

Either the game massively overuses the bandit trait or the career transition from literal highwayman ro politician or general was very common in 19th century Australia.
Did you know, Australia used to be a penal colony?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I did... what's the opposite of an imperialism?

Near the end there I was building like a madman to reach 1.0 billion GDP, I did it in the nick of time, it was awesome. Also, a pretty good society without going full communism. Never even thought of going bothering other people in far-away lands (which meant no rubber or oil for me, but I just had to build more, MORE, MORE buildings with non-oil and non-rubber using production methods). This is an Italy I'd like to live in :italy:

e: how does one go about retaking the northern italian lands? Everytime I even thought about doing that, everyone would pile up on me in the diplomatic play because grabbing Lombardy would be like +20 infamy and that by itself makes other great powers in Europe support your enemy, even if that enemy is big-rear end-Austria...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 2, 2022

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did you know, Australia used to be a penal colony?

I mean when you put it like that it makes sense.

Also my other weird frustration is that revolts aren't sufficiently different from their parent nation politically. In this game North German Radicals have started a civil war over the principle of having a National Guard, I guess?

I figure if a faction is starting a civil war it should take the opportunity to really rewrite their laws.

Despite being a coalition of the Trade Unions, Petit Bourgeois and the rural folk opposed to what is essentially the establishment, they're going to set up the exact same state when they win. So what's the point?

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

I did... what's the opposite of an imperialism?

Near the end there I was building like a madman to reach 1.0 billion GDP, I did it in the nick of time, it was awesome. Also, a pretty good society without going full communism. Never even thought of going bothering other people in far-away lands (which meant no rubber or oil for me, but I just had to build more, MORE, MORE buildings with non-oil and non-rubber using production methods). This is an Italy I'd like to live in :italy:

e: how does one go about retaking the northern italian lands? Everytime I even thought about doing that, everyone would pile up on me in the diplomatic play because grabbing Lombardy would be like +20 infamy and that by itself makes other great powers in Europe support your enemy, even if that enemy is big-rear end-Austria...

Ally with one or two other great powers in europe so they're guaranteed to join you. Try to get an obligation with another. You can't just start the play and hope nobody tries to stop you; you have to actively move people to your side.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Forget little tweaks here and there to colonization, this is the poo poo which bugs me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQ7gIiczrQ

Not really seen anyone mentioning how bad the HQ system actually is.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
all civil war factions are built up from distinct ideologies so all they really have to do is have them throw their own loved stuff on to top of whatever pet issue they're on about.

and I think there just needs to be a stronger distinction between mass revolts and when its royalists fighting reactionaries over who gets to eat the bread. revolution vs civil strife, I guess.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Another Person posted:

Forget little tweaks here and there to colonization, this is the poo poo which bugs me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQ7gIiczrQ

Not really seen anyone mentioning how bad the HQ system actually is.

i had the same poo poo happen, also had landings that succeed but nobody was actually on the front

i abused the poo poo out of the "teleport to the front" bug, lol

fronts should also not be limited to one battle at a time. it gets ridiculous where the ENTITE sino/russian border front gets entirely stuck to wait for a year long 2v1 fight to resolve. at least let some of the 300 units on both sides reinforce so you can get a long grinding ww1 front battle or something

e: oh yeah and agreed on the hq system, it's weird. just let me assign troops/fleets freely. also i can't remember the names or abilities of any of my generals so having a navy list six random names at me with no other info was misery. that and how bloated a lot of the military ui is so you have to scroll down a huge list to find unassigned generals, just misery.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 2, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The idea that you can just press a button and now intolerance is over is real dumb. Like, the game already takes into consideration that the state cannot impose its will in other regards, but apparently racism can be solved with the stroke of a pen?

Something like "You get 25% of the benefit right away, but the remaining 75% is scaled by how much political support it actually has." would make a lot more sense.

I feel like with the ostensible point of the game being tending to your little garden in a very roleplay sort of way, it actually makes a lot of sense to make a truly tolerant society an extremely hard to achieve capstone to your campaign. Like, the major challenge of the game is creating an actually nice society for everyone you have dominion over, with imperialism and intolerance being the tools players end up resorting to for lack of viable alternatives for their current position/abilities.

I think Law changes are supposed to be pretty abstract, reflecting both legal and cultural changes at a lot of levels and not like the executive dashing off a notice that incidentally slavery is banned now. Entrenched discrimination is reflected in the severe radicalization of pops that support slavery owing to the change, and also explicitly the category separation between the discrimination and slavery laws.

In Victoria 3 terms, I believe the ACW would go as follows: An election results in the new government starting a slavery ban law change leading to immediate radicalization, causing the Dixies to launch a secession movement that spirals into civil war. During the civil war the changed political environment leads to another law change, pushing the discrimination level down a notch or two. The government wins the civil war but the subsequent return of the dixies to government after the war leads to a successful political movement for ratcheting the discrimination law back to racial discrimination, where it would likely remain for the rest of the game.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 2, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they have a whole lens system to provide specific map ui that could give much better and precise contextual options and they're all worthless. alas.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
They just need to make multi-culturalism also exclusive with colonial policies in addition to slavery.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They just need to make multi-culturalism also exclusive with colonial policies in addition to slavery.

oh you can be a fairly multicultural society and still indulge in a lot of slavery and imperialism. but incompatible with legacy slavery would be coherent.

i think there could be room for having a sort of social strain/dissonance be recognized tho and result in popular movements against specific things, tho.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think Law changes are supposed to be pretty abstract, reflecting both legal and cultural changes at a lot of levels and not like the executive dashing off a notice that incidentally slavery is banned now. Entrenched discrimination is reflected in the severe radicalization of pops that support slavery owing to the change, and also explicitly the category separation between the discrimination and slavery laws.
To say that entrenched discrimination is reflected adequately by radicalized pro-slavery pops is to completely misunderstand what racism even is. Yes, the KKK wanting to re-institute slavery is obviously racist, but so is redlining and a thousand other "race-blind" practices that continue to this day in the US despite legal equality having been in place for half a century.

To accept the above argument, and how Paradox presents it in terms of gameplay, is essentially agreeing with the people who claim that "racism is over" today. If you want to make multiculturalism actually represent a society where this sort of discrimination has been wholly or at least majorly excised, it should be something that takes a lot of work for the player to possibly achieve at the end of the game - and even then it would be a bone to throw to the "wild alternate history" enjoyers.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh you can be a fairly multicultural society and still indulge in a lot of slavery and imperialism. but incompatible with legacy slavery would be coherent.

i think there could be room for having a sort of social strain/dissonance be recognized tho and result in popular movements against specific things, tho.
Yeah. Any sort of "Equality in the metropole, but no equality between the metropole and its subjects" dissonance should result in independence movements there picking up a lot of steam, whether it's multiculturalism vs. harsh colonialism or communism vs. colonial exploitation.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mister Bates posted:

We fought like a five year long world war to win their independence and they just let the Dixie aristocrats keep all their political power

Well, not entirely unlike real life, then.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

e: nm

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Overall cultures need a lot more granularity. Right now it's just a binary system where they're either discriminated or not, so it not only doesn't differentiate between social and legal discrimination, it also fails to reflect any of the dynamics that shaped the arc of nationalism in the 19th century. Give your national minorities voting rights and technical legal equality and they won't want to secede any more, a thing that definitely works and that's why we still have Austria-Hungary!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kraftwerk posted:

If I'm some salt of the earth peasant, how on Earth do I suddenly become a machinist, capitalist, academic etc just because someone built a tool factory in my area?

Peasant just meant someone who isn't nobility, supposedly there were plenty of peasants who were wealthier than nobles in pre-revolution France for example.
It was a caste thing rather than an economic distinction, which I guess this game doesn't really emulate.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
username is communist thoughts, and yet didn't call the well off peasants kulaks. hmmm.

e: also in retrospect my plan to export huge amounts of cheap grain to raise world living standards resulting in the devastation of local agriculture economies as the governments fall into insolvency is a pretty common criticism of food aid programs. also hmmmm. all you need now is the IMF around to lock nations into debt traps and youre golden.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 2, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Peasant just meant someone who isn't nobility, supposedly there were plenty of peasants who were wealthier than nobles in pre-revolution France for example.
It was a caste thing rather than an economic distinction, which I guess this game doesn't really emulate.

also American history has an awful lot of stories of exactly this happening. you wander to the next town over and say 'actually I'm a doctor,' well, congrats, doctor, we needed one and being willing to do the job is very close to the only qualification.

this is the tiny nugget of a point buried in all the aristocratic whining about the uncivilized new money; if you could convincingly fake the ability to read there was money to be made, and being actually able to do the job was a welcome but unnecessary bonus

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
also king Leopold being thrown from the Belgian throne for passing women's rights legislation is extremely funny. it is unclear why this of all things was the last straw but the Congo no doubt rejoices.

shame about what's probably going to happen to the people in the sulfur mines of Belgian South America

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

e-dt posted:

Also, aside, but command economy seems to be pretty much always a terrible move right now...

Tomn posted:

...Wage discussion...

From what I understand, the main factor that determines wages is the wealth/standard of living of the pops working in the building as well as those available in the state. So with pop wealth, one can imagine every pop to have a wealth bar, similar to the cash reserve bar of buildings. The wealth bar fills up when they earn more than they spend on goods, and depletes when they earn less than they spend on goods. The amount of money stored in their wealth bar determines their standard of living level, which determines the selection/amount of goods they purchase. This wealth bar starts to deplete whenever they do not have enough income to cover the costs of the goods they purchase. As their wealth is depleted, their standards of living drops as well, until they reach a level with a selection/amount of gods cheap enough to be covered by their income.

When you build a new building in a state (meaning you go from 0 of that type of building to 1), it sets its starting wages based on the average wage needed to sustain wealth level for each category of employee. So if your building needs laborers, and the needed wage to sustain wealth for laborers in the state is 15, it will start hiring laborers at 15. Even if there are peasants in your state that would work for a wage of 2 because their wealth level is very low. Now, how the wage ends up is determined by profitability of the business. If the building is in the red, it will try to lower wages to get in the green. So lets say that in order to be profitable, wages must go from 15 to 10. Then the business will fire the laborers it hired at a wage of 15, and try to hire laborers at a wage of 10. For the peasants willing to work for 2, this is still attractive so they will get hired at 10, establishing the wage for this building in this state at 10.

Now, if you increase the level of this building, it will keep hiring at this level of wage. So going from 1 to 2 building level, the new hires will receive the wage currently earned by the workers in the building. So a big part of the wage of any given building is the standard of living in the state at the time it was built. For example, if you start as a poor country with an iron mine in your capital, then the wage in this iron mine will be rock bottom, say 1. Now, as you grow your industry, the average wage needed to sustain wealth will go up as your population gets richer. As noted above, every new building line you build in the capital will start by offering this average in wages, and will keep paying that as long as it can do so while remaining in the green. However, as long as you have peasants available willing to work for 1, the wage of the iron mine will stay there. This iron mine will basically become the place that converts peasants into workers for the whole state. New industries will start hiring at average wage to sustain wealth for the state, which will cause workers working at the iron mine to quit and move jobs. The positions at the iron mine will then be filled by fresh peasants still willing to work for rock bottom wages. The iron mine wages will only start to rise when the wages needed to convert peasants start to climb, or when there are no peasants left.

This means that if you want to maximize profitability, you want to spread out your industries into different states. Or more generally speaking, you want to put new industries into states with very low standard of living, to lock in a low starting wage. This is also the reason for using colonial exploitation. A freshly colonized territory has rock bottom standard of living, so starting wages are low, and can be pushed even lower with colonial exploitation. So any industry you start there will be massively profitable due to rock bottom wages. So if you are looking to boost your investment fund, putting down industry in fresh colonies is absolutely massive.

For command economy, this has different implications. Wage subsidize will always pay the difference between the wage paid by the building and the average wage in the whole country. So if you have command economy and you put a new industry into a fresh colony, this industry will still hire at rock bottom wages and turn a massive profit. But you will pay the full difference between your states average wage and the rock bottom wage paid by your colonial industry. The wages paid by the industry will only go up if it has to.

This is also where the minimum wage becomes important. Lets say you switched to command economy, but still have colonial industry. Your average national wage is 20, but your colonial industry pays 2, while making massive profits. You now pay the difference, 18, for every worker, which hurts your treasury. The industry could easily raise wages while still maintaining profitability, but it does not need to as long as it can keep full employment. However, if you now switch on minimum wage laws, you force the industry to raise wages, which reduces your need to pay subsidies. Lets say you have minimum wages at +50%. That means you industry has to pay at least 50% of the national average, so at least 50% of 20 = 10. So now they pay their workers 10 instead of 2, with you paying the remaining 10 to get the workers wage up to the national average. If you raise minimum wages further to +100%, the industry will be forced to pay at least the national average. So now the same industry pays at least 100% of 20, bringing the wage of their workers up to the national average, meaning you no longer have to pay wage subsidies for this industry.

Ideally, your industries are profitable enough to be in the green while paying the national average. If not, you will still have to pay subsidies to make them profitable. However, these subsidies will now go towards lowering the price of the used input goods instead of wage subsidies, because the wages offered are high enough to attract workers. Worst case, the national average wage is not enough to attract workers in an industry that is unprofitable. Now you have to pay subsidies to increase wage above the national average AND pay subsidies to reduce the price of input goods.

So that's my base understanding of wages/subsidies and so on. I am sure there is more to it and could be wrong, still lots to learn about the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
does anything good ever happen to people? like 'had a nice summer, might get a dog.' or anything even vaguely positive. there's economic events, but beyond that it's all fire, famine, flood and I'm sure if I ever tried to colonize africa there'd be poo poo involving locusts. haven't even gotten the stupid comet and it's all become irritating.