Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Lone Badger posted:

Those are incandescents. You can even see the filaments glowing as they cool down after the power is cut.

they make led bulbs that have "filaments" like old incandescents now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_filament?wprov=sfti1

https://www.amazon.com/Ascher-Equiv...ps%2C241&sr=8-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Lone Badger posted:

Those are incandescents. You can even see the filaments glowing as they cool down after the power is cut.

They look like led filaments to me? Incandescent filaments aren't orange when switched off lol

The afterglow is from the capacitor in the bulb power supply discharging.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jabor posted:

They look like led filaments to me? Incandescent filaments aren't orange when switched off lol

Please tell me they do this to appease idiot boomers who complained about incandescents being phased out. Well at least until the next republican president.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

(added audio starts after a couple seconds)
https://i.imgur.com/VJfV5Cc.mp4

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 2, 2022

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Jabor posted:

Either that or it's due to the phosphorescent material they use to make white light LEDs:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mustached Demon posted:

Please tell me they do this to appease idiot boomers who complained about incandescents being phased out.

led filament bulbs are created to look visually similar to incandescent bulbs when switched on, yes

The fadeout from the capacitor is mostly an engineering thing - AC power inherently "switches off" several times a second, but you don't want your leds to be doing that and acting like a strobe light. You have a capacitor in the power supply so that if the power is still on, the led stays on until the next AC peak arrives.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i like the filament aesthetic, honestly

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

what the gently caress
why

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
They're pretty. Why are you angry at light bulbs lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Light bulbs shot his dog.:dogcited:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

The Lone Badger posted:

what the gently caress
why

Among other reasons, you can put enough diodes in series to run it straight off line voltage.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hopefully, they'll find a way to rectify the issue.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Unperson_47 posted:

Hopefully, they'll find a way to rectify the issue.

There's certainly potential. Engineers are constantly improving current technology.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

SuddenCactus posted:

Why do we not have drones that can do this yet?

I imagine the sloshing of a liquid payload would make it difficult to stay level.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SuddenCactus posted:

Why do we not have drones that can do this yet?

A drone platform that can carry enough weight to be useful for the job would cost quite a bit before you even started building the actual drone and testing it, and you'd still have to pay someone to operate it, probably more than you'd pay the painter. It would also likely malfunction at some point and cause expensive damage coming down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Greatest Living Man posted:

There's certainly potential. Engineers are constantly improving current technology.

As an engineer, I like using proven technologies and resist change.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mustached Demon posted:

Please tell me they do this to appease idiot boomers who complained about incandescents being phased out. Well at least until the next republican president.

It's because they look nice

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Fix It posted:

i like the filament aesthetic, honestly

Yeah same. Also theyre much less directional than SMD LED bulbs which is a really nice thing.

The dubai/long life versions are also very nice, roughly 1.5x the number of filaments running at a lower voltage so they last longer, and they produce a very even spread of light.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 2, 2022

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

PainterofCrap posted:

It defies belief, how quickly a pine tree goes up and the sheer volume of radiant heat it produces in the process. Room was demolished in under 3-minutes.

Was it a dry tree? Or do those burn just as fast as one that's been soaking up water from the tray thing?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Nenonen posted:

A drone platform that can carry enough weight to be useful for the job would cost quite a bit before you even started building the actual drone and testing it, and you'd still have to pay someone to operate it, probably more than you'd pay the painter. It would also likely malfunction at some point and cause expensive damage coming down.

Attach the hose to the drone and keep the paint elsewhere. Hell, you can probably even use the same system with a platform hanging off a pulley that the drone can move with. You could probably set up a system where you can control the drone and raise/lower the platform with the same interface. It’ll be more expensive than just hiring a person to do it, but you won’t need to have some dipshit hanging 200 feet above certain death

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kit Walker posted:

Attach the hose to the drone and keep the paint elsewhere. Hell, you can probably even use the same system with a platform hanging off a pulley that the drone can move with. You could probably set up a system where you can control the drone and raise/lower the platform with the same interface. It’ll be more expensive than just hiring a person to do it, but you won’t need to have some dipshit hanging 200 feet above certain death

That's going to be vastly more expensive and far less versatile. It's literally inventing a drone solution to a problem that doesn't exist - if you don't want to pay someone to hang off a roof, get a skylift that can reach it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Lone Badger posted:

Those yellow filaments are LEDs

Efb

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Imagine getting mad that a light bulb looks too nice

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
WHY YOU USE BULB AND NOT OPEN FLAME IN SKULL OF ENEMY?!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kit Walker posted:

If I'm reading this right you're basically asking for a curtain sprayer that elevators down the side of the building less than a quadcopter attached to a tip of a hose in which case curtain sprayers barely work to quality standards on well controlled repetitive assembly lines let alone outside in the weather. Paint is a key weatherproofing step that remains highly skill based in it's application so a dumb one size fits all robot sprayer is not just going to cost more for the automation platform, but also because you are making yourself preventative maintenance headaches cause the sprayer plugged or a wind gust caused a spotty application and now you have a flaky bit or an ingress point for weather.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Fill one of those firefighting planes they use for forest fires with paint and just splash the entire building from the sky.

It's the only way to be sure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

holtemon posted:

Was it a dry tree? Or do those burn just as fast as one that's been soaking up water from the tray thing?

Oh, it was an old dry tree.

Fresh, well-watered trees are still loaded with dry pine needles; once they ignite & start cooking the ‘fresh’ needles (that are loaded with sap) the sap starts boiling & once that lights, it’s a hotter, more durable fire than a dried-out tree.

I still use a live tree.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Use a drone as a spotter for a mortar that launches balloons filled with paint.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Imagine getting mad that a light bulb looks too nice

CFL bulbs are praxis, comrade.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Boy am I glad that the CFL era is over. Those things sucked total rear end.

I like the vintage style yellow filament LED bulbs a lot. I have several of them in lamps that I use at night when I want the light to be gentle and calming. They aren't great for when you need bright crisp lighting for detailed work, but for that I have some daylight tone 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs in task lamps.

LEDs are great.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I really miss HPS lights...they are appealing to me for no good reason and I miss them being everywhere at night and turning everything monochrome.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I like my led bulbs like my fluorescent tubes, blindingly ultralight blue with clinical feel. gently caress that "warm yellow" poo poo, it can eat my logs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I really miss HPS lights...they are appealing to me for no good reason and I miss them being everywhere at night and turning everything monochrome.

Me too. Orange light bouncing off the snow at night is absolutely magical.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

:sickos:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/caindotudo/status/1587814870468251648

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Drone_Fragger posted:

I like my led bulbs like my fluorescent tubes, blindingly ultralight blue with clinical feel. gently caress that "warm yellow" poo poo, it can eat my logs.

I'm working in a new ultra-modern factory, and it has both blinding blue LEDs, and light tubes to let sunlight in, which are filtered to he the same stark blue-white.

Sagebrush posted:

Boy am I glad that the CFL era is over. Those things sucked total rear end.

I like the vintage style yellow filament LED bulbs a lot. I have several of them in lamps that I use at night when I want the light to be gentle and calming. They aren't great for when you need bright crisp lighting for detailed work, but for that I have some daylight tone 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs in task lamps.

LEDs are great.

Amen, "dimmable" CFLs were also complete bullshit, they never worked right. Also the less mercury in my lightbulbs the better, from an OSHA perspective.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I'd go the opposite direction, I don't like that clinical blue-light in my home lighting at all. I've vastly preferred the softer LED bulbs, including the fake filament ones.

Also blue light is bad for your circadian rhythm at night.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

For me the nostalgia comes from mercury vapor lamps. Where I grew up and in more rural areas in general you'd always find these lights dominating for some reason, then in more urban areas the lamps would turn orange. I think there are still a lot of mercury vapor lamps around here and there, they have the same light profile and aren't LEDs.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All this has taught me is that Tesla AI can place in NASCAR today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Never forget the glorious AI performance during Roborace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4fdUx6d4QM