Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked the idea someone I was talking to had where whenever they rolled they rolled the entire stat; so if you had 18 Strength you rolled 1d20+18. This made the difference between a Wizard with 8 strength and a fighter with nearly 20 more pronounced while before a wizard had a fairly decent chance at beating a fighter at a strength check.

The original method of "roll under your stat on a d20" has the same effect. Someone with 18 strength is basically superman, anything they try to do involving strength will most often succeed.

But this means natural 1s are good, so it feels weird to modern gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked the idea someone I was talking to had where whenever they rolled they rolled the entire stat; so if you had 18 Strength you rolled 1d20+18. This made the difference between a Wizard with 8 strength and a fighter with nearly 20 more pronounced while before a wizard had a fairly decent chance at beating a fighter at a strength check.

Con being separate presents possibilities like glass canon brawlers though, people who can punch good but tire out easily. Merging Con and Strength makes it more likely all strong people are also people with high stamina. For a Martial Arts focused campaign that's like all Monk party this isn't desirable I think.

Is there ever a time where being a glass cannon isn't a mistake? Especially with the low ceiling on point buy, it's hard to start with less than a +2 CON modifier, even if it is your third priority, and adding an entire 20-ish percent to your base health per modifier is a lot more valuable than what you can get from any other tertiary ability score. As for adding your entire score instead of just the modifier, the end result is that it makes the game more granular, which arguably isn't a bad thing, but also doesn't change the fundamental math much either.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Raenir Salazar posted:

Presumably from the hundreds of fantasy novels across the main settings; I think its basically assumed the pipeline goes from "Read the Crystal Shard" to "Wants to play D&D", at least for DMs and some players.

sure, historically. but nowadays, with d&d as a brand, and your stranger things, and your critical roles, etc? how many newer players know there are entire fantasy series with a d&d setting attached?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Salvatore is apparently still writing Drizzt books. I saw new ones in my local store, even. What does he do anymore? I know his friends all died of mostly being old but then reincarnated to hang out with him again.

I hope he still has the magic panther. She was cool.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

redleader posted:

sure, historically. but nowadays, with d&d as a brand, and your stranger things, and your critical roles, etc? how many newer players know there are entire fantasy series with a d&d setting attached?

I mean, I at least read some wiki articles after playing the BG3 early access to see where the modules I've played slot together timeline-wise (setting Rime before all of the others is very funny considering how big the stakes are, IMO)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caidin posted:

Salvatore is apparently still writing Drizzt books. I saw new ones in my local store, even. What does he do anymore? I know his friends all died of mostly being old but then reincarnated to hang out with him again.

ARe you talking about Salvatore in this post or Drizzt

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

salvatore based guenhwyvar off his own real life magic panther who tragically died of ligma in 1986, 2 years prior to the beginning of the equally beloved and hated-by-old-boomers drizzt saga

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ARe you talking about Salvatore in this post or Drizzt

We should all have magic panthers, HA. We all should...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

He’s finding secret good drow that totally always existed so WotC can pretend they’re not racist

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caidin posted:

We should all have magic panthers, HA. We all should...

https://images.app.goo.gl/cPyJrktBNibVGjXU6

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arivia posted:

He’s finding secret good drow that totally always existed so WotC can pretend they’re not racist

His friends were doing that. He was off learning Monk levels in Damara. And now they're teaming up with those secret good drow to fight slaad. Don't worry, though, slaad are still inherently chaotic and evil.

As the series has gone on, it's become much more of an ensemble book, sorta like if you were reading Iron Man comics and they slowly morphed into Avengers books where Iron Man drifts in and out and sometimes a book is really all about Cap or Thor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I will say that I'm really glad Drizzt doesn't show up in Frostmaiden. I don't think anyone I played it with would have cared or been wowed

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

neonchameleon posted:

Also there should be dex-free bulky medium and light armours. If Mage Armour was a flat AC 14, Padded a flat AC 12, Brigandine a flat AC 15, and Brigandine over Chain a flat AC 16 with Stealth disadvantage we'd stop seeing almost every non-dex based character having Dex 14
They should also get rid of scale mail and studded leather. For at least 2 editions now they've shown that they can't be trusted with them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

His friends were doing that. He was off learning Monk levels in Damara. And now they're teaming up with those secret good drow to fight slaad. Don't worry, though, slaad are still inherently chaotic and evil.

As the series has gone on, it's become much more of an ensemble book, sorta like if you were reading Iron Man comics and they slowly morphed into Avengers books where Iron Man drifts in and out and sometimes a book is really all about Cap or Thor.

Fighter, Ranger, a barbarian dip for an edgy berseker mode and now Monk?

I have serious concerns about Mr. Do'Urden's character sheet!

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

salvatore based guenhwyvar off his own real life magic panther who tragically died of ligma in 1986, 2 years prior to the beginning of the equally beloved and hated-by-old-boomers drizzt saga

What's a magic panther?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

change my name posted:

I will say that I'm really glad Drizzt doesn't show up in Frostmaiden. I don't think anyone I played it with would have cared or been wowed

Yeah, I love those dumb books and preorder the new ones, but I'm really glad they didn't try to force anymore of a tie-in than the Crystal Shard connection.

Rubberduke posted:

What's a magic panther?

Drizzt has a unique Figurine of Wondrous Power named after King Arthur's queen for some reason.

E: I got the joke two minutes after posting this :doh:

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 2, 2022

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Rubberduke posted:

What's a magic panther?

Small wooden artifact. 1/day: roll a d10, on a 6 or lower, it works every time.

Also known as a six panther.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember I got one of those that was a bird. The party was mad at me because they wanted to sell it. It wasn't even worth that much. I'm a ranger, I'm keeping the magic bird.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

jmzero posted:

Small wooden artifact. 1/day: roll a d10, on a 6 or lower, it works every time.

Also known as a six panther.

:mad:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rubberduke posted:

What's a magic panther?

nothing, whats a magic panther with you?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Rubberduke posted:

What's a magic panther?

Spheres of Ligma
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)
While holding this item, you can use an action to cast the Disintegrate spell from it. Instead of a Dexterity saving throw, the target make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check. A character who succeeds on this check cannot be targeted this way for 24 hours.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

nothing, whats a magic panther with you?

Magic panther? I barely know her!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Sit on my Jace posted:

Spheres of Ligma
While holding this item, you can use an action to cast the Disintegrate spell from it. Instead of a Dexterity saving throw, the target make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check. A character who succeeds on this check cannot be targeted this way for 24 hours.

This is too clever for its own good.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Ligma pussy.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Sit on my Jace posted:

Spheres of Ligma

I made a ligma joke to a friend and they just walked straight into it, apparently had never encountered it before, and I have never felt as dumb as having to actually complete the joke.
What I'm saying is this item should deal 1d4 psychic damage to the user.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sit on my Jace posted:

Spheres of Ligma

I proposed this to my players as a joke and now they want me to add it to the game.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My copy of the complete Grim Hollows set is available for pickup tomorrow :devil:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any good adventures that start around lvl 9? My crew is halfway through the Light of Xaryxis and if I'm gonna tie something in I want to make sure I can seed it. I was also considering just yanking stuff from yawning portal or radiant citadel

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

Any good adventures that start around lvl 9? My crew is halfway through the Light of Xaryxis and if I'm gonna tie something in I want to make sure I can seed it. I was also considering just yanking stuff from yawning portal or radiant citadel

I haven't run it, but I did do other parts of Yawning Portal leading up to it and Dead in Thay looks quite fun from my read if you want to add in a dungeon crawl. Everything in that book was great hack and slash fun if that's your party's bag.

I just finished running the Beyond the Dragons of Icespire Peak trilogy, which starts with Storm Lord's Wrath. It's a 7-9 module natively but it wouldn't be too bad to just upscale the encounters. The trilogy takes the party to level 13 on its own, but I'd bet you could use it as a solid framework to get them to 15.

It's a nice relatively on the rails story and has some pretty cool moments. It also didn't really require work out of the box for me to be fun, so that was a plus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elendil004 posted:

I'm running Dungeon Crawl Classics 17.5 War of the Witch Queen on Thursday. It's rated for level 7-9 and it's a creepy dungeon crawl through an extra-dimensional witches hut. Lots of good traps, and it's pretty short and generic. Should be easy to slot into any campaign around the correct level.

It's written for 3.5 edition so pay close attention to the monsters AC and attack bonuses, they are a bit high. Otherwise perfectly playable. It's for level 7+ so your level 9 party shouldn't have too much trouble.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

After years of playing D&D pretty much straight up, and being in a circle where people really liked pathos in their gaming, I've found that I like D&D so much more when we just embrace being Saturday morning cartoon characters.

My tabaxi Surfer Paladin, my buddies' eladrin Cleric of Chilling Out and Rude Shark Goblin With a Small Crab Mech doing gig app adventures together around the city while the four of us doing bits at each other is more fun than I've had in years playing this game.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wednesday Strixhaven Update: We had a boss battle where our B-Team of Strixhaven student friends were gathered together to rescue the main party who had been TPK'd earlier on and thus were captured. We delved deep into the dark dungeon and rescued our friends who had gone a week without sleep, tortured in an attempt to brainwash them; one of them, the War Mage fireballed us twice before we managed to subdue him and break him out of his stupor.

For the final battle we fought my character, who in a great campaign moment, was made to be subordinate to the Steel Defender, who had been dipped in Phyrexian goo and turned into an alien machine lifeform; mechanically my character who we were fighting would act as the "pet" for the Steel Defender BEEG; with the BattleSmith Artificer mechanics being swapped between them. It was honestly pretty awesome because we had a running ongoing joke about how the steel defender was a bigger contributor to the party than my artificer :D

We succeeded in rescuing our characters and cleared the dungeon!

Session 0 for my new Saturday D&D campaign with me as DM! Chaos! Lovely awesome chaos! As we were all using Foundry basically for the first time, I had went through some tutorials and knew some of the basics so we basically spend the entire session making our characters in Foundry and learning the UI, it was pretty fun. We went over some homebrew I was interested in having; we agreed on having everyone start with 1 inspiration a session and 1 bonus feat at level 1; and of course I introduced the Tension Pool which I am very excited about.

We also agreed to do the Spooky one shot, I didn't mention the source book but its from the Questonomicon by Ghostfire Games/XP to Level 3; particularly Escape from Old Redwick!

I'll also be needing to dig through modules and finding out how to import non-srd content into Foundry; I read something about importing from D&DBeyond, so I imagine I might have to buy content like the PHB to import it into Foundry?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

My 2022 creative project has been drawing the Outer Planes of the Great Wheel cosmology and thought I'd share a couple of the latest:

The Gray Wastes of Hades

The Wilderness of the Beastlands

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wednesday Strixhaven Update: We had a boss battle where our B-Team of Strixhaven student friends were gathered together to rescue the main party who had been TPK'd earlier on and thus were captured. We delved deep into the dark dungeon and rescued our friends who had gone a week without sleep, tortured in an attempt to brainwash them; one of them, the War Mage fireballed us twice before we managed to subdue him and break him out of his stupor.

For the final battle we fought my character, who in a great campaign moment, was made to be subordinate to the Steel Defender, who had been dipped in Phyrexian goo and turned into an alien machine lifeform; mechanically my character who we were fighting would act as the "pet" for the Steel Defender BEEG; with the BattleSmith Artificer mechanics being swapped between them. It was honestly pretty awesome because we had a running ongoing joke about how the steel defender was a bigger contributor to the party than my artificer :D

We succeeded in rescuing our characters and cleared the dungeon!

Session 0 for my new Saturday D&D campaign with me as DM! Chaos! Lovely awesome chaos! As we were all using Foundry basically for the first time, I had went through some tutorials and knew some of the basics so we basically spend the entire session making our characters in Foundry and learning the UI, it was pretty fun. We went over some homebrew I was interested in having; we agreed on having everyone start with 1 inspiration a session and 1 bonus feat at level 1; and of course I introduced the Tension Pool which I am very excited about.

We also agreed to do the Spooky one shot, I didn't mention the source book but its from the Questonomicon by Ghostfire Games/XP to Level 3; particularly Escape from Old Redwick!

I'll also be needing to dig through modules and finding out how to import non-srd content into Foundry; I read something about importing from D&DBeyond, so I imagine I might have to buy content like the PHB to import it into Foundry?

You could use the Plutonium module, but that borders on piracy. That's why it is not on the foundry site. Just google it. If you support the maker on Patreon, you also get access to the charactermancer. A quick and easy way to make characters in foundry.

Baileywiki on youtube has great tutorials for foundry and recommended modules. Foundry is great but can be a bit arcane at times, so best of luck.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Total Party Kill posted:

My 2022 creative project has been drawing the Outer Planes of the Great Wheel cosmology and thought I'd share a couple of the latest:

The Gray Wastes of Hades

oh, those are really pretty and cool!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Total Party Kill posted:

The Gray Wastes of Hades

:eyepop:
I love it! Are you doing The Outlands too?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

We'll see how long my ADHD hyperfixation lasts. Toying with a Bytopia map next.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Those drawings are badass. Incredible work!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rubberduke posted:

You could use the Plutonium module, but that borders on piracy. That's why it is not on the foundry site. Just google it. If you support the maker on Patreon, you also get access to the charactermancer. A quick and easy way to make characters in foundry.

Baileywiki on youtube has great tutorials for foundry and recommended modules. Foundry is great but can be a bit arcane at times, so best of luck.

Wish I knew this before spending 100$ on D&DBeyond :(

But yeah I'm slowly going through tutorials, I am hoping that with the macros and automation features it will let me do more complicated things that would otherwise slow down the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Total Party Kill posted:

The Gray Wastes of Hades

These look amazing but the Gray Waste one awakened my pedantry cause the Wasting Tower of Khin-Oin is missing.