Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Lyrans do have an ability like that (+1 weight on random rolls) but what it ended up meaning was that there's at least a dozen different regiments whose ability is just "ignore that rule, we do something different." It's not something that really works because they don't generalize an entire faction into one fighting style, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, the most you'll see between factions is on the MUL Tables and who gets what, or things like the MAD-3L vs the MAD-3D vs the MAD-3M

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i like it better this way because it let's us build mech companies out of whatever tf we want. we have like 60+ mechs now in 4 paint schemes and our selection is based entirely on whimsy and what looks cool

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Really, it boils down to the different mindsets of various games. BattleTech players are just excited by the prospect of having someone new to roll dice with, so they don't want to scare you away by telling you that the 1st Sword of Light don't usually paint their 'Mechs canary yellow with purple hazard stripes.

You say that, but the gate-keeping from a large part of the community regarding clans is pretty bad

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech is weird about weight class and 'Mech availability, primarily because the line developers have, with rare exceptions (Barber's Marauder IIs), never defined which 'Mechs are in which regiments at any given time. If you're lucky the unit you want to make may list a commander and if you're exceptionally lucky it may even say what that commander rides around in but otherwise it's a blank slate for you to create your own story with. So as long as you get the commander right? You get an A+ for historical accuracy. That's why my Vau Galaxy Falcons have a Hellbringer, because that was Star Colonel Kristen Redmond's ride of choice.

A lack of definite "this unit has four Atlases and thirteen Archers" is only half of the reason. The other half is that there have been monumental shifts in what constitutes a "lightweight unit" over the history of the Inner Sphere. During the 1st succession war a "lightweight unit" might be just a 'Mech regiment without any armor regiments or supporting infantry; and by 3025 a "lightweight unit" might be a normal 'Mech regiment with a two normal battalions and a third made up entirely of Wasps and Stingers.

Prior to 3048 (most of) the Inner Sphere used light 'Mechs as scouts and raiders; mediums as front-line troops; heavies were primarily cavalry and fire support; and assaults were the spearhead unit for frontal assaults. The Dracs were an outlier with their trooper lights but as a general rule everyone operated pretty much the same way. There're a few exceptions, and some are truly exceptional 'Mechs like the Guillotine and Thunderbolt which I'd call heavy troopers, a few are notoriously bad like the Cicada and Charger, and most just aren't "better enough" to replace the 'Mechs that conform to the paradigm like the Longbow when compared to the Archer.

Then the Clans showed up, and their paradigm was wildly different: light 'Mechs were trainers, support units, or 'headhunter' assassination units; mediums were scouts, raiders, and the tip of the proverbial spear; heavies were line troops; and assaults were fire support. There're a few 'Mechs that break the mold here too (like the Mad Dog, which is ultimately just a lighter Archer IIC), but 'Mechs like the Summoner and Hellbringer make a lot more sense once you realize that the Summoner is the Clan version of the Wolverine/Griffin and the Hellbringer is not so much a small Warhammer as it is secretly the front-line Clan version of the Shadow Hawk.

So after 3050 the Inner Sphere swerved hard. They didn't understand the Clan paradigm but accepted doctrine became "if you don't outweigh your Clan opponent by at least 15 tons you're going to lose;" so the states that are front-line with the Clans hard-shift into a Trooper Assault paradigm which pretty much makes their neighbors (the Capellans and Free Worlders) Very Concerned (tm) that everyone else is cramming as many heavy and assault 'Mechs into their militaries as they can. Eventually they scale back to something similar to the Clan paradigm as they figure out what works for them and what doesn't, but the Free Worlders never really get the memo despite their best efforts (Albatross lol) and the Capellans eventually say "gently caress this, we're making our own paradigm rather than trying to keep up with the rest of you idiots."

This is all compounded even more in Rasalhague because they barely had time to establish any doctrines at all before the Clans smashed them and by 3150 they just use the Ghost Bear doctrines (heavy and assault troopers with light assassins and medium scouts) almost 1:1

On the plus side? By 3150, every successor state and Inner Sphere Clan have their own unique doctrinal twists which help give their forces a lot more personality: like the Draconis Combine's shift to a Light + Heavy trooper combo or the Capellan light fire support units and headhunter assassins and their choice to eschew troopers almost entirely in favor of heavy raiders.

sorry (novice here). this is fascinating. is there a primer on what makes a trooper vs a raider?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's more like the intended role. A 'Mech that's intended to stay in formation and get shot is a trooper. They're usually tough but inexpensive. We're talking things like the Panther, the Clint, the Watchman, the Vindicator, the Wolverine (to an extent, the Wolverine's a command 'Mech first and foremost), the Thunderbolt, and etc. 'Mechs that aren't the most powerful individually but work well when you field multiple of them in the same formation. Panthers are pretty notorious for getting inordinately dangerous the more of them you have (and the less frequently they have to maneuver).

Raiders can do front line work but they often sacrifice armor for weaponry and speed because their goal is to hit something and GTFO before they get outnumbered or hard-countered. The Jenner is the archetypal light raider, but in the Republic era the Capellans have their 65 ton Vandal OmniMech which is already pretty speedy but also packs a non-Omni supercharger in all configurations so it can make quick escapes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I can't stress to you how unfair it felt at the beginning of the Clan era to have to figure out how to fight forces that didn't have to make compromises on the light/medium side. Anything from 3025 and even 3045-ish tech was a compromise- armor, guns, speed, pick two. But you'd face light/medium Omnis with max armor, Stinger/Locust level speed, and more or harder-hitting guns than many IS heavies.

I know we had a no-Masakari rule that practically got turned into a no-CERPPC rule.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That was 30 years ago. Since then we've had two versions of battle value to balance it.

I see old grogs getting pissy at people that weren't even alive when the clan invasion happened because they want to bring a Timber Wolf or Mad Dog to a pickup game. A lot of new people coming in are picking up the Catalyst mechs, which notably half the packs are Clan mechs. When an old player won't play with anything past 3025 and constantly poo poo-talks the new players that want to, it doesn't exactly lead to the community growing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Floppychop posted:

That was 30 years ago. Since then we've had two versions of battle value to balance it.

Oh yeah it was very much just a "we had no loving idea" anecdote, not a jab at players today.

I've never actually played a TT game with 3100s tech. The list of equipment and weapons got so huge since then I wouldn't be worth a poo poo unless someone was holding my hand.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Most of the equipment in 3150 isn’t hard. At all. There’s no new tactics to use any of the weapons with. Just get them in range where they do (the most) damage and shoot them. Or in the case of armor, just remember that it exists.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Floppychop posted:

I see old grogs getting pissy at people that weren't even alive when the clan invasion happened because they want to bring a Timber Wolf or Mad Dog to a pickup game. A lot of new people coming in are picking up the Catalyst mechs, which notably half the packs are Clan mechs. When an old player won't play with anything past 3025 and constantly poo poo-talks the new players that want to, it doesn't exactly lead to the community growing.

A point balance system doesn't address the core problem that the design philosophy of Clantech was to remove downsides rather than accentuate strengths. It's the same reason I don't have customs at my table, it's boring.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
New (really most post-3050) Clantech is cool. ilClan debuted some mechs that were meant to be the sort of acme or epitome of various factions' design philosophies, and it's neat how different they are. None of them are munched out PPC or pulse laser or LRM boats.

Taerkar posted:

Which made the Clan Wolf and Falcon books so abnormal with the entire touman breakdown.

This reminds me: what the gently caress is a Vau Galaxy? Was there a guy named Vau? Did someone get lost on the way to the Greek letter store?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

This reminds me: what the gently caress is a Vau Galaxy? Was there a guy named Vau? Did someone get lost on the way to the Greek letter store?

I've always just assumed this was the other Clans mocking them. While all the other Clans were designating their galaxies with the Greek alphabet, the Jade Falcons were naming theirs after birds. Internally, the Falcons call this one Peregrine Galaxy.

Also, this looks like a really stylized 'V' (even though it isn't the galaxy's actual symbol)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Did some quick googling and it might be a reference to this ancient greek letter that isn't really used any more. A lot of Clan stuff seems like history nerd hyper-references (kind of like Caesar in New Vegas) so it would fit.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

FishFood posted:

Did some quick googling and it might be a reference to this ancient greek letter that isn't really used any more. A lot of Clan stuff seems like history nerd hyper-references (kind of like Caesar in New Vegas) so it would fit.

It's even more ironic since technically the Clans are anti-history, owning non-Clan approved books can get you declared dezgra. They study military tactics galore, not necessarily ancient language or cultures.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There's an Alpha Strike event happening next weekend in Winston-Salem, NC. Is anyone else going? I'm taking my energetic band of mercs (Canopian Cocaine Collectors, inc; aka C3i :dadjoke: ).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

General Battuta posted:

New (really most post-3050) Clantech is cool. ilClan debuted some mechs that were meant to be the sort of acme or epitome of various factions' design philosophies, and it's neat how different they are. None of them are munched out PPC or pulse laser or LRM boats.

Can you tell me what the different factions acme or epitome actually is? Or a link to where I can read it.

I got the impression that the Wolves one is "Plot Armour" but it hard to tell.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Got started on painting my first mech yesterday. It's a grasshopper, and no poo poo I realized today that I completely misunderstood what part of the head was supposed to be the canopy. But then doing an image search, it seems I'm not the only one.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

There’s a comprehensive cockpit guide floating around the net if you need it, it’s by one of the people who’ve designed the new mechs. I can’t find a link online right now but I have it in my files so if you need it, hit me up

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

There’s a comprehensive cockpit guide floating around the net if you need it, it’s by one of the people who’ve designed the new mechs. I can’t find a link online right now but I have it in my files so if you need it, hit me up

I want this, but I don’t want to find out how badly I might’ve missed on some of my mechs :laffo:

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

lilljonas posted:

Got started on painting my first mech yesterday. It's a grasshopper, and no poo poo I realized today that I completely misunderstood what part of the head was supposed to be the canopy. But then doing an image search, it seems I'm not the only one.

When I first saw the TRO:3025 drawing of the Victor, my brain told me it had a long beaked face pointing to the left with a Geordi La Forge-like visor, and that firmly stuck. I wondered why they had changed the head so drastically in TRO:3050.

Decades later, it's still hard to see the TRO:3025 drawing as having a flat face pointing to the right and rear-tapering 'helmet' the way it was evidently intended.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I want this, but I don’t want to find out how badly I might’ve missed on some of my mechs :laffo:

OTOH, I'd imagine in universe it'd be a great camouflage idea to paint your thickest bit of head armour to look like a canopy. :P

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

When I first saw the TRO:3025 drawing of the Victor, my brain told me it had a long beaked face pointing to the left with a Geordi La Forge-like visor, and that firmly stuck. I wondered why they had changed the head so drastically in TRO:3050.

Decades later, it's still hard to see the TRO:3025 drawing as having a flat face pointing to the right and rear-tapering 'helmet' the way it was evidently intended.

Did you know the Commando's head is actually turned to the side, that the black stripe is the canopy, and that it's looking over its left shoulder? The little bulb on front is a join connected to its neck and is not, in fact, a tiny viewing port for the pilot to look out of.

No?

That's ok, neither did anyone else.

That's why the 4th edition redesign will always be my favorite.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

I dunno, I am fond of the jaunty little crooked helmet

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Now is the notoriously cramped assassin cockpit the humongous bowl canopy on top that takes the majority of the upper torso or the tiny little window on its "nose"?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did you know the Commando's head is actually turned to the side, that the black stripe is the canopy, and that it's looking over its left shoulder? The little bulb on front is a join connected to its neck and is not, in fact, a tiny viewing port for the pilot to look out of.

For some reason I never had a problem seeing that one, which is strange given that it's a similar pose to the Victor.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked the art style in the 4E box set even though the cardboard standees weren't as cool as minis.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Now is the notoriously cramped assassin cockpit the humongous bowl canopy on top that takes the majority of the upper torso or the tiny little window on its "nose"?

It also provides another reason for Mechwarriors to hate it (anything that penetrates the front armor is penetrating the Mechwarrior too)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Comstar posted:

Can you tell me what the different factions acme or epitome actually is? Or a link to where I can read it.

I got the impression that the Wolves one is "Plot Armour" but it hard to tell.

It's funny that you mention that, because the Wolf 'epitome mech' in ilClan is the Alpha Wolf, a fastish stealth armor assault Timber Wolf.

Jade Falcon gets the Jade Phoenix, an incredibly mobile jumpy assault that's described as a 'workhorse' in the fluff and by several people who know the game better than me as 'possibly the single best mech in the game, period'.

Ghost Bear gets the Mastadon, actually a pretty sharp departure from some of their tactics earlier in the setting. It's just really hard to kill.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rorahusky posted:

I dunno, I am fond of the jaunty little crooked helmet

Agreed. Young me figured that was the source of its name.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Jade Falcon gets the Jade Phoenix, an incredibly mobile jumpy assault that's described as a 'workhorse' in the fluff and by several people who know the game better than me as 'possibly the single best mech in the game, period'.

Most of the Jade Phoenix configs are quite solid, but in a world where a Dire Wolf Prime is 500 BV less than a JP Prime it's hard to see it as "possibly the single best mech in the game, period."

DrPop fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 2, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I won't say no the the Prime but I'd rather have the A for the lower BV that it costs

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I won't say no the the Prime but I'd rather have the A for the lower BV that it costs

That's a capable one, too, it just certainly has a lot less Gun than other mechs in its class and BV range.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This is because it jumps 7. The Jade Phoenix A is a killer of men and mechs and there is no mech in the game that can reliably 1v1 it regardless of BV. If the skills are BV matched there might be two mechs in the game that even fight it to a standstill.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Strobe posted:

This is because it jumps 7. The Jade Phoenix A is a killer of men and mechs and there is no mech in the game that can reliably 1v1 it regardless of BV. If the skills are BV matched there might be two mechs in the game that even fight it to a standstill.

I understand that it jumps 7. Jumping for a +4 does not make you invulnerable.

I think you could probably handle it pretty easily with a Clan mech in a comparable weight and BV class. I started listing potentials but got bored

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think the deal with the A is it just always gets to decide whether you get to shoot it. In a 1v1 if it loses initiative it just goes somewhere incredibly obnoxious to hit. If it wins it teleports behind you. And it’s an assault mech so it’s going to unload and maybe kick you.

I don’t actually know the game that well but this is my guess from reading a lot of analysis of the JP over on the Battletech forums.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This could of course be solved in a circle of equals :nicolai:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DrPop posted:

I understand that it jumps 7. Jumping for a +4 does not make you invulnerable.

I think you could probably handle it pretty easily with a Clan mech in a comparable weight and BV class. I started listing potentials but got bored

It doesn't have to be invulnerable, it is harder enough to hit than its target that it wins at the margins, because even when you do hit it its a max armor 85 ton mech with a Clan XL.

The two mechs that can reasonably fight it to a standstill are the Osteon D and at least one, maybe two configs of the Mastodon.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Lmao I never noticed that the Osteon has ferro-lamellor AND reinforced structure in addition to the torso cockpit. And the Archangel called itself a zombie! Pretender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there an official model for the Jade Phoenix? I can't even find a derpy IWM model.