Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Pobrecito posted:

e: also a big gently caress you to the CFP committee for ranking TCU #7 behind Alabama. They're clearly setting it up to screw TCU a la 2014.

Pays to be Bama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Clemson over TCU and Michigan is pretty bad

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I still can't believe the P5 conferences agreed to a system where at least 1 champ was guaranteed to be left out and possibly more depending on ND and multiple SEC teams

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha I just noticed K State at 13 in the playoff poll.

They have basically no shot with two losses unless things get extremely silly, but win out and beat a theoretically undefeated TCU in the conference title game and you've got the smallest of chances!

e: oh poo poo I think I've been had by a fake tweet was my first reaction here, but somehow I wasn't.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2022

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I still can't believe the P5 conferences agreed to a system where at least 1 champ was guaranteed to be left out and possibly more depending on ND and multiple SEC teams

Naw it's totally believable. Every commissioner knew someone would get left out, they just thought it wouldn't be their conference. It would be those other suckers in (insert non-SEC conference here).

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm beginning to think that Dillon Gabriel was the problem with Heup's offense at UCF. That and the fact that he just decided to not recruit around the Orlando area and basically ceded that to UF.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
tbf if you lived in Orlando would you wanna stay there?

Or if you lived anywhere else would you wanna go there for that matter?

Orlando sucks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i'm gonna watch cadillac williams beat the poo poo out of alabama in person at bryant denny and i'm gonna laugh my rear end off

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm beginning to think that Dillon Gabriel was the problem with Heup's offense at UCF. That and the fact that he just decided to not recruit around the Orlando area and basically ceded that to UF.

i mean in a scheme that bone simple you need a guy who's gonna make the throws so if it's not the receivers,

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all ready to feel old because I remember every one of these

https://www.wbir.com/article/sports...66-fb9547a42b3c

quote:

This is what the world was like the last time the Tennessee Vols were No. 1

►Head Coach Josh Heupel was wearing Oklahoma Crimson and Cream instead of Tennessee Orange and White.
►QB Hendon Hooker had only just entered the world in January 1998. He was literally born into a world of Tennessee Football greatness

►Blockbuster Video was still in business and renting out video tapes across the U.S., including the much-anticipated 1998 home rental release of James Cameron's megahit 'Titanic' once it finally left theaters. Be kind and rewind before you slide it in the drop box!

►Armageddon and Saving Private Ryan were doing numbers at the box office in 1998 -- but still not nearly enough to beat Titanic's record-shattering popularity. Few might also remember this the year of movies such as Patch Adams, Air Bud: Golden Receiver, and the U.S. release of Spice World.

► The WWF's Attitude Era was in full force at this point, and a certain Knox County mayor who was known by most as Kane at the time would also emerge a champion this year after taking down Stone Cold Steve Austin in the main event at King of the Ring. But don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1998, the Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell in a Cell, who plummeted 16 feet through an announcer's table.

► Steve Jobs and Apple had just released the iMac computer, which paved the way for iPods, iPhones, and other iDevices.

► People magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" was Harrison Ford, beating the likes of Leonardo Dicaprio and Brad Pitt.

► Several of the most acclaimed video games of all time were released around the same time, including The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, and Half-Life. Pokémania also began this year in the U.S. with the North American release of Pokémon Red and Blue for the Gameboy.

►Google had only just been created before the year's end, and even then -- nobody knew about it yet. People were still dialing into AOL and typing in keywords to find stuff, and search engines like Yahoo!, AltaVista and Excite.

►The person writing this was a 13-year-old at the time obsessed with the Beastie Boys' summer album, 'Hello Nasty.' It made its way onto Billboard's No. 1 spot for a few weeks, but the best-performing album of the year by far was the Titanic soundtrack, which stayed at number one for 16 weeks before being dethroned by Dave Matthews Band's new album, 'Before These Crowded Streets.'

►'Seinfeld' finished out a legendary TV run this year after nine seasons. But seriously, what's the deal with lampshades?

►The massively-successful "Harry Potter" series finally came to the U.S. a year after J.K. Rowling wrote the first book.

►Did you think we would forget about Smokey? Smokey VIII reigned as UT's live mascot during this time, and he infamously helped lead the Vols to victory in the national championship despite having secretly eaten a hotel washcloth before the game. What a champ.

My favorite is that Hooker was born in '98

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Ha I just noticed K State at 13 in the playoff poll.

They have basically no shot with two losses unless things get extremely silly, but win out and beat a theoretically undefeated TCU in the conference title game and you've got the smallest of chances!

e: oh poo poo I think I've been had by a fake tweet was my first reaction here, but somehow I wasn't.

Tulane transitive national champs because the cowards at the CFP won't put Tulane in the playoffs.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Declan MacManus posted:

i'm gonna watch cadillac williams beat the poo poo out of alabama in person at bryant denny and i'm gonna laugh my rear end off

i mean in a scheme that bone simple you need a guy who's gonna make the throws so if it's not the receivers,

The weird thing is that the offense did work really well... For the first 2 quarters or so. Then corners would start playing the screens more and the safeties would move back to cover for the deep shot plays and the offense died. Meanwhile the defense would always get completely gassed because our drives always lasted a minute whether we scored a touchdown or went three and out. That's why I've always been so down on heupel, it seems like his game plan was doomed to pummel his own defense to where by the end of the game they could barely stand.

I still think the recruiting was a major misstep. We had high School from coaches from all around Orlando complaining that UCF just ignored local recruiting while Josh was coaching. Maybe he just came in with one foot out the door.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pobrecito posted:

e: also a big gently caress you to the CFP committee for ranking TCU #7 behind Alabama. They're clearly setting it up to screw TCU a la 2014.

None of these rankings mean anything before the last one, don’t be a mark.

If TCU goes undefeated they’re in, but I wouldn’t worry about ever finding out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PostNouveau posted:

Tulane transitive national champs because the cowards at the CFP won't put Tulane in the playoffs.

the current state of the world has made me pretty stoked for 12 team playoff

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was 26 in 98, Urg I’m old. I did get to go to Tennessee’s first game as number 1 that year and it was the famous Arkansas game.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
1998 was my freshman year of high school. good times. all the ladies loved a Big Orange Man back then

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

1998 was when I fell in love with the sport. I already casually identified with the Aggies because of my dad, and it was the year they had the big comeback 2OT win over Kansas State in the Big 12 Title game, denying KSU a spot in the BCS Championship.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

1998 was when I fell in love with the sport. I already casually identified with the Aggies because of my dad, and it was the year they had the big comeback 2OT win over Kansas State in the Big 12 Title game, denying KSU a spot in the BCS Championship.

Ah yes, the Tulane National Championship year. Good year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hooker is 24 years old? I'm getting some Brandon Whedon vibes. Also 1998 sucked rear end for me.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Back in '98 I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hooker is 24 years old? I'm getting some Brandon Whedon vibes. Also 1998 sucked rear end for me.

Stetson is 25.

North Texas's QB is 29 lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Stetson is 25.

North Texas's QB is 29 lol

Oklahoma State has a 32-year-old punter

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm a fan of the 30-something Aussies who all seem to be really tatted up just deciding 'oh hey, sure I'll go to the states for a bit and get some schooling and kick a ball now and then' trend.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Not anymore, he just announced that he's done for the season

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not anymore, he just announced that he's done for the season

:rip: dying of old age

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Someone just needs to do a whole team of olds and weirdos like the Scott Bakula/Robert Loggia/Sinbad vehicle Necessary Roughness

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

:rip: dying of old age

It's because he got injured making a tackle on a punt return. I can't find video of it but it doesn't matter because i'm just imagining it being him running someone out of bounds, maybe giving them a light shove and then pulling something in his back. Even made funnier by the pictures I did find were him walking off the field on crutches.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's because he got injured making a tackle on a punt return. I can't find video of it but it doesn't matter because i'm just imagining it being him running someone out of bounds, maybe giving them a light shove and then pulling something in his back. Even made funnier by the pictures I did find were him walking off the field on crutches.

I'm trying to imagine myself, at 40, on the punt coverage team, getting chipped lightly and all four limbs just exploding off my body

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Someone just needs to do a whole team of olds and weirdos

Good news, BYU exists

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

General Dog posted:

None of these rankings mean anything before the last one, don’t be a mark.

If TCU goes undefeated they’re in, but I wouldn’t worry about ever finding out.

I completely agree. I also think TCU won’t make the playoff because their defense is poop and they will lose a game because of it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Soul Glo posted:

Someone just needs to do a whole team of olds and weirdos like the Scott Bakula/Robert Loggia/Sinbad vehicle Necessary Roughness

https://youtu.be/AosjFZ6Pauo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

And then they were offered an out and rejected it again, having to finally be forced to go to 12 teams by their own bosses who can do math

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Making fun of Sinbad is fine but Andy Dick should be legally barred from mocking anyone

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Yeah, the whole idea of a 4 team Playoff and Five power Conferences was set up
to create controversy. Also, every 5 years Notre Dame goes 12-1 and makes some noise and then makes a fart in the playoffs.

Oh, and maybe Boise State or Georgia Southern runs the table and makes noise.

That’s why I love and hate college football.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

quote:

►QB Hendon Hooker had only just entered the world in January 1998. He was literally born into a world of Tennessee Michigan/Nebraska Football greatness

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wrestling could never top Undertaker throwing Mankind off of the top of the Cell.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

mdemone posted:

I'm trying to imagine myself, at 40, on the punt coverage team, getting chipped lightly and all four limbs just exploding off my body
:lol: like those old Power Rangers toys where pressing the Z on the Putty dude would make him explode

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

fast cars loose anus posted:

And then they were offered an out and rejected it again, having to finally be forced to go to 12 teams by their own bosses who can do math

This is my favorite bit. The tweed jacket and bow tie set saw the financials and told the AD's to pull their heads out of their asses and get it done. Just amazing own goal by the AD's.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Bird in a Blender posted:

*Weeden, not related to the creepy movie and TV man

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mdemone posted:

I saw a play last year where reciever goes up to grab a pass, gets upended in mid air, and lands on his head. The dude bounces like a loving pogo stick. He lands in a heap, then jumps up and runs off.

I'd have died. Like actually be dead on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is my favorite bit. The tweed jacket and bow tie set saw the financials and told the AD's to pull their heads out of their asses and get it done. Just amazing own goal by the AD's.

The proximate cause of all the anger was of course Texas and OU leaving and I wonder if they feel a little dumb now given they've made themselves some money but also a massively more difficult road to the playoffs than being kings of the Big 12 would be.

Then the "alliance" that formed from that was destroyed when the Big 10 raided the Pac whatever they are now. A cavalcade of people who don't know what time it is.