Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

kalel posted:

personally I think the fact that its only type is "urza's" is a major flavor fail. Lil Johnny MTG at the lgs will open it and go "... Urza's what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Looks like they are printing Power Plant, Tower, and Mine into Standard...

The workers, that is!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lil Johnny said "what?" a lot during timespiral block.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That sucks too!!! :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was kinda wondering and hoping we would get some gobbos in this set

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Black Donate:

quote:

Fateful Cooperation
3B
Sorcery
Target opponent gains control of target atrifact you control. Draw cards equal to its mana value.
"Give the Sylex to Urza at any cost. Tell him to fill it with the memory of that place."
- Ashnod, to Tawnos
Bronze Bombshell, your time is now!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sneak Attack, but for Artifacts

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This card looks broken.
Like a GY-safe murktide.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

This card looks broken.
Like a GY-safe murktide.

Artifacts are non creature spells (as long as they aren't creatures). This is going to be the bomb in limited

HootTheOwl posted:

Looks like they are printing Power Plant, Tower, and Mine into Standard...

The workers, that is!

Assuming the others are similarly costed, this is absolutely a trap in limited that people will fall for way too often

HootTheOwl posted:

Sneak Attack, but for Artifacts

It's blightsteel time motherfuckers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalel posted:

Artifacts are non creature spells (as long as they aren't creatures). This is going to be the bomb in limited

What are the noncreature artifacts below rare you're excited to play this with, in limited?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

What are the noncreature artifacts below rare you're excited to play this with, in limited?

well this one for sure, as well as this one

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the Worker cycle is gonna be unplayable or good in limited. It seems like powerstones are gonna be everywhere, but I'm not really sure how to evaluate that yet. There's so much big stuff around and high costing activated abilities in this set that it feels like the powerstones are not going to be wanting for things to do, so I don't know if I'd want to spend it on the workers to pump them up. That said, they're not too crazy expensive with so many powerstones around so maybe they end up feeling cheaper on the whole than they are

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Sneak Attack was relevant because it cost one to activate, 5 mana wins. This costs either 8 or a turn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This card exists because his original avenger had banding.
And also is explicitly called out in the flavor text.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Sneak Attack was relevant because it cost one to activate, 5 mana wins. This costs either 8 or a turn.

I think a limited archetype is going to be this plus all the fat prototype cards.

One of the usual downsides to cramming your deck full of fatties to enable this sort of thing is that you have a hand full of unplayably-expensive cards in the games where you don't find the way to cheat them out. The prototype mechanic neatly dodges that problem.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Would have been funny if they'd had the Contraption mechanic from Unstable in this set.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Wittgen posted:

But I want Elesh Norn.

You'll get her in the New Phyrexia set. Probably.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

This card looks broken.
Like a GY-safe murktide.

Lol not even close. Myth Realized was barely playable.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does Echo Chamber get around Hexproof effects?

It doesn't target the opponent; can I select an opponent with Leyline of Sanctity?

It doesn't have me making any selections; can it target Slippery Bogle (since 'an opponent' is making the choice)?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

Does Echo Chamber get around Hexproof effects?

It doesn't target the opponent; can I select an opponent with Leyline of Sanctity?

It doesn't have me making any selections; can it target Slippery Bogle (since 'an opponent' is making the choice)?

Choices aren't targets. Hexproof only stops the word 'target'.
You still control the ability, even if your op choose the target for it. Hexproof only cares about that first part.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shrecknet posted:

It has been erratad to not targeting a player, so yes you can choose a Leyline player.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
e:nvm

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Choices aren't targets. Hexproof only stops the word 'target'.
You still control the ability, even if your op choose the target for it. Hexproof only cares about that first part.

Toshimo posted:

It has been erratad to not targeting a player, so yes you can choose a Leyline player.
so yes I can select a Hexproof opponent, but they are not allowed to target a Hexproof creature they control?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

so yes I can select a Hexproof opponent, but they are not allowed to target a Hexproof creature they control?

Correct

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1587855623462522882

I think this is pretty good in the current standard format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This card might be totally bonkers in standard or total garbage. Wild.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

mcmagic posted:

Uhh this looks pretty good. The versatility is pretty bonkers

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CEDH Winota might play that Grand Abolisher.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A 3CMC flying human that shits out more tokens and draws cards?

Wtf?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What am I missing because this looks incredibly underwhelming for constructed?

These on the other hand are great, Skystrike Officer in particular kicks rear end.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

It's kind of wild that there's already quite a few soldiers seeing play in standard, that the tribe is getting more power in BRO, and that if a soldier deck were to come together there's a chance that Vailant Veteran wouldn't even make the cut.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

A 3CMC flying human that shits out more tokens and draws cards?

Wtf?

yeah but it's under rate stats so it's fine

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

holy moly there's the powerstone payoff I've been looking for

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

What am I missing because this looks incredibly underwhelming for constructed?

These on the other hand are great, Skystrike Officer in particular kicks rear end.

Cast it using all black with Sheoldred on the board to make your opponent draw a bunch of cards and lose a bunch * 2 life is one thing.

Edit. NVM. I'm dumb.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 2, 2022

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I feel like people are seeing things with this set I’m not seeing. It looks, on the whole, pretty bad to me.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

Cast it using all black with Sheoldred on the board to make your opponent draw a bunch of cards and lose a bunch * 2 life is one thing.

BB makes all opponents discard not draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Eight-Six posted:

BB makes all opponents discard not draw

Ah, drat it. Got mixed up. Thanks.