Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
But it will look good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

mr cameron sir? we've been uh, auditioning women for this role for seven hours now, perhaps we should move on. the character only appears in the background, doesn't even have any lines....

[james cameron resetting stopwatch] dunk her again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Never bet against cameron

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Avatar 2 is gonna be fuckin awesome. I did not think so until I went to a rerelease of the first one and they showed a clip at the end. The amount of which those few minutes totally poo poo all over the nearly 3 hours we had watched previously was ludicrous

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Witchfinder General James Cameron

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That DICK! posted:

mr cameron sir? we've been uh, auditioning women for this role for seven hours now, perhaps we should move on. the character only appears in the background, doesn't even have any lines....

[james cameron resetting stopwatch] dunk her again.

That’s how he almost killed Ed Harris, and why Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio hasn’t spoken to him for 20 years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That’s how he almost killed Ed Harris, and why Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio hasn’t spoken to him for 20 years.

For real?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

First I’m hearing about this, you got a link

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Listen you can’t make an omelet with out breaking some eggs. You also can’t make an amazing movie without nearly killing some actors.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've never seen the abyss, is it any good?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

abyss mal!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

External Organs posted:

I've never seen the abyss, is it any good?

It's alright, it's not "Kill some absolutely first rate actors" good though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
the extended edition is the best

Michael Biehn is fantastic in it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

First I’m hearing about this, you got a link

god i cant tell what's a legitimate site or not anymore but here's a site with a general write-up about the shitshow and it has links to other sources. moreso about Mary Elizabeth's stuff thna almost killing ed Harris
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...ous-scene.html/

https://ew.com/article/2016/11/29/ed-harris-movies/

quote:

There's an 11-minute sequence in the film where Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's character sacrifices herself, and then is revived by Harris, that ranks among his finest work (and is arguably Cameron's best set piece as well). "We were guinea pigs, in a way, Jim wasn't quite sure how this was all gonna go down… [in the drowning scene I was] screaming at her to come back and wake up, and I was slapping her across the face and I see that they've run out of film in the camera — there's a light on the camera — and nobody had said anything. And Mary Elizabeth stood up and said, 'We are not animals!" and walked off the set. They were going to let me just keep slapping her around!… It was very difficult, but it was worth it, I met some great people. The Abyss is a really great movie up until the last 10 minutes, which was the big disappointment." And, nowadays, there are no hard feelings toward Cameron. "I like Jim. He's an incredibly talented, intelligent guy. In subsequence years after filming, it was always good to see him."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The unwillingness to read is a serious problem in these modern days

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the theatrical edition is decent late 80s science fiction, but the directors cut adds a lot more stakes to it with the geopolitical fallout of what's going on.

Still waiting for those 4k remasters James! Hell, it hasn't even been released on BLURAY. The only HD copy of the Abyss is the theatrical edition that airs on movie channels/streaming sites.

The directors cut exists only as a non-anamorphic DVD release.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I'm waiting for a Terminator 4K to rewatch it and I think I'll be waiting a very long time.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

apparently if you can track down Under Pressure: the Making of the Abyss, there's a lot of good details in there about what a nightmare it is.

IMDb seems to be the original sourcing for a rumor that Ed Harris punched James Cameron in the face because of a scene they were filming where Harris was nearly drowning. the documentary goes into Ed Harris nearly dying

http://www.aspaceblogyssey.com/2014/03/the-making-of-abyss.html?m=1 is a short writeup about it and has some dead links to the doc (Disney copyright blocking everything)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Go back just one page to discover why we were talking about the abyss in the first place

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Go back just one page to discover why we were talking about the abyss in the first place

oh whoops

e: hey here's the documentary, i watched a few parts of Ed Harris talking and it was neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YctOKgWVn9E

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 2, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MarcusSA posted:

Listen you can’t make an omelet with out breaking some eggs.

You can't make a Tomlette without breaking some Greggs.

Can't wait for the new season of Succession.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Now that White Lotus S2 is out, my next "need NOW" is more Righteous Gemstones.

Or that Scream Queens stuff they're kinda hinting at..

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Avatar 2 is gonna be fuckin awesome. I did not think so until I went to a rerelease of the first one and they showed a clip at the end. The amount of which those few minutes totally poo poo all over the nearly 3 hours we had watched previously was ludicrous

But did they fix the font?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope not! (yes they did)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hope all you Avatar freaks enjoy the movie, cause I sure ain't seeing it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's all pray it doesn't make $400 billion dollars again so we have to suffer through a year and a half of gimmicky 3d crap and terrible post conversions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hope it makes 800 billion because Cameron is the GOAT

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Fuller is also prepping his first movie, starring Mads https://deadline.com/2022/11/mads-mikkelsen-to-star-in-dust-bunny-from-bryan-fuller-afm-1235160507/

quote:

Production is set to begin in January 2023. The film will mark Fuller’s feature film directorial debut.

The flick follows an eight-year-old girl who enlists the help of her intriguing neighbor to kill the monster under her bed that she believes ate her family.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mads really challenging himself by playing an eight year old girl

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hes the bed, idiot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

He could do it

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
can't wait for fuller to walk out halfway through production

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gaius Marius posted:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Laterite posted:

can't wait for fuller to walk out halfway through production

When I heard he wanted to remake Christine I got loving pumped before I realized there’s a good chance it could fall apart before production starts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Handmaid's Tale: Wow, I was waiting for the mission to save Hannah to go wrong and end up with her and the other girls killed. Glad that didn't happen!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mexopolis/status/1587613444013899776

Man don't tell me stuff like that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We were denied animated Corben artwork, this world is truly is cursed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Corben is the only guy on Hellboy (besides Fegredo) where I like the art better than what Mignola would do. Or at least not a diminishment, I guess, Mignola is my all time #1 favorite. A lot of time, fill ins would try to ape Mike's style but only Duncan ever really pulled it off well (cf. my avatar) Corben is one of the few who went with this own style, which has that grotesqueness British illustrators like so much. It works really well in Hellboy, I love his work on The Crooked Man. (though I confess I'd rather see Mignola's take on Makoma)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Netflix has a sitcom based in a Blockbuster coming out tomorrow (called, you will never believe, Blockbuster). A bit weird to kinda dance on the grave of the store they helped kill, but it looks like it has that 'decent quality network sitcom' vibe that's been pretty lacking, and Melissa Fumero/Randall Park might be a fun combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1587911785117384704?s=46&t=PR6b-Hd-tN0VHkap_2kLLA

Cancelled again. This show got tons of buzz when it was on Netflix but I don’t think I heard one word about it after [as] got it, did something change or just a smaller audience