Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

bessantj posted:

When I see people who just don't care about the climate going tits up all I can think is how sorry I am for their grandchildren because by god they will suffer.

Well, someone has to be sorry for them, since we're just coming at the end of a generation who were fine with immiserating their children because the bins weren't collected, briefly. They aren't gonna care about their grandchildren.

Now we see the inevitable result of trying to run a marathon after half a century of sitting around smashing your own shins with a hammer. We got a taste of it with covid: denial, coverup, panic, lies, solving the wrong problem with the wrong solutions, and grift.

Have a cat to cheer yourself up

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Necrothatcher posted:

It's cool and rad that discussion in the UKMT has boiled down to how to retain body heat and sourcing backup power systems.

Can't wait until 2023 when we're comparing notes on how to hammer nails into a cricket bat and which roving gang of raiders is best to pay tribute to.

I really like that Immortan Joe character, he brings a get things done attitude to politics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All must pay tribute to the Ed Ball.

It is illegal not to pay tribute to the Ed Ball.

biglads posted:

I got a clockwork radio a couple of weeks ago. For maximum nerdery I made sure it had Shortwave so I can hunt for numbers stations, overt propaganda from countries other than our own and insane hellfire preachers in the coming darkness.
What model is that? It'd be nice to have a backup if I can't use my digital TV tuner turned radio scanner.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if you keep the freezer *closed* it will last a long time. They are pretty well insulated and it takes a lot of energy to melt all that frozen poo poo. Ideally don't open it at all for days in an extended power outage.

And beforehand (like now) fill in any unused space in there with frozen water because I know it is bound to happen when I've run the contents down to do a big shop at Iceland (and I don't want to operate with an empty freezer on the off chance because I only use frozen veg as a single person although I also have a couple of kg of dehydrated veg too.)

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

I really like that Immortan Joe character, he brings a get things done attitude to politics

I think his policies on water conservation really hit home as well.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Only Kindness posted:

Well, someone has to be sorry for them, since we're just coming at the end of a generation who were fine with immiserating their children because the bins weren't collected, briefly. They aren't gonna care about their grandchildren.

Oh, I dunno, my father likes my nieces a lot more than me or my brothers

not enough to not be a brexit-votin', climate change- and covid-denyin', spiked-online-readin', migrant-hatin', leftist-despisin' conspiracy theorist, though :ssh:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The old die; it’s normal. For the past decade or so, boomers have as individuals had nothing to look forward to except frailty, irrelevance and death, which you’d think would make anyone a bit of a dick, but that’s been the case for every generation. Why are they so much more selfish and horrible to their kids than is usual?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sunak vs Starmer is just going to be a debate on who broke their campaign promises the least.

Not that I'm complaining, the actual leadership election was years ago but I recall Sunak had to go pretty fash to try to appeal to the members.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
EDIT actually, y'know what, going to remove this out of respect for our resident (lovely!) boomer

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Beefeater1980 posted:

The old die; it’s normal. For the past decade or so, boomers have as individuals had nothing to look forward to except frailty, irrelevance and death, which you’d think would make anyone a bit of a dick, but that’s been the case for every generation. Why are they so much more selfish and horrible to their kids than is usual?

I'm not sure that's true tbh. I won't go into it but I know from family history (going back to my great grandparents days - late Victorian / Edwardian era) that what we consider horribleness these days was in full flow back then too.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 2, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Necrothatcher posted:

I just got myself a huge power bank lithium battery with a plug socket on the side and a bunch of USB ports on it. Figure if it comes down to massive power cuts that'll get me through a night.

That or I'm going to live in my office and hope it's considered critical infrastructure.

I bought an Ecoflow Delta 1260Wh battery as "a UPS to protect the company PCs". The fact it has a 12v socket that fits my camping fridge and several USBs as well as 220V mains output is entirely irrelevant.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guavanaut posted:

What model is that? It'd be nice to have a backup if I can't use my digital TV tuner turned radio scanner.

Made by "Mesqool" it's
Solar Hand Crank Radio, 5-Way Powered AM/FM/SW Emergency Radio for Outdoor with 5000 mAh Capacity Battery, Portable Radio with USB Charger, LED Flashlight, Reading Lamp, SOS Alarm and Compass https://amzn.eu/d/3Bzts8K

Price has gone up a bit since I got it

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lead acid are genuinely probably safer for long term power storage simply by virtue of not being a huge fire risk.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Beefeater1980 posted:

Generational impostor syndrome and unacknowledged guilt over the fact their success is due to postwar social democracy, later transforming into handouts from Thatcher onwards. They pretend it's hard work - unquantifiable, ableist, dripping with condescension, but it's true they got all the breaks.

This leads to behaviours like the backlash when someone wants to solve a problem. If there's a problem, that means something is wrong. And you're never wrong. If you were wrong, why do you have a big ex-council house and a defined-benefit pension? No-one who was wrong would have that, you got all that because you worked hard. Not like these kids today, hey, they chose to take on that student debt, not like you, who got a grant, or didn't need to go to university at all to get a job. So Jrrrmy Crrbyn must be a Bad Man.

Weird things happen when reality is denied. The big one being The Middle Class denying they're actually The Poor.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Re: Cold chat - people have suggested long underwear, but if you don't have thermal layers, go get some. You can probably find some cheapo £5-10 at Decathlon and sports stores that will be halfway decent. If you're in the South, unless we're dropping below 0 on the regular this should be more than sufficient for those who get chilly. Up North? Yer hosed.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 2, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Drone_Fragger posted:

Lead acid are genuinely probably safer for long term power storage simply by virtue of not being a huge fire risk.
Depending on the type and how you charge them they can vent everything from hydrogen to sulphuric acid gasses though, LiFePO4 are probably the best for just leaving alone.

biglads posted:

Made by "Mesqool"

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Dunno for certain, but I would bet B&M, the true store of the proletariat, will have a good selection of thermal-layer clothing. Aldi's Aisle Of Delights always has cycling and athletic stuff, they won't pass up the chance to add some cold-weather items too!

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Risk is vastly exaggerated. We don't seem to have the same hangups about gas appliances despite their tendency to occasionally explode houses. Huge amount of FUD spread about battery storage.

For context, I am a vol firefighter in Australia and have a lifepo battery in my garage at home and we have one installed on our fire station.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Gas appliances are terrible for indoor air quality even turned off though.

Battery storage risk is mostly a combination of people using cheap off-brand lithium ions, poor to non-existent load balancing, and Elon Musk.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/lizzzburden/status/1587530197007491075

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

biglads posted:

Made by "Mesqool" it's
Solar Hand Crank Radio, 5-Way Powered AM/FM/SW Emergency Radio for Outdoor with 5000 mAh Capacity Battery, Portable Radio with USB Charger, LED Flashlight, Reading Lamp, SOS Alarm and Compass https://amzn.eu/d/3Bzts8K

Price has gone up a bit since I got it

Not kidding - 53% in a month!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

People like Badenoch being the next batch of inset scumbags, all while people like Pidcock get ejected from their party gives me no hope for this country and it's future.

Like I don't for the life of me understand how anyone of my Generation can subscribe to Tory ideals, but they do. We deal with young Tories running events at my workplace and they're exactly as you'd expect. It takes a certain level of self discipline to not just wrench them in the face as a reflex to their presence.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 2, 2022

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Uniqlo have a good range of decently priced thermals called Heat Tech, I bought a few at £15 quid a go. Their pile lined hoodies are cosy as gently caress too

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

biglads posted:

I got a clockwork radio a couple of weeks ago. For maximum nerdery I made sure it had Shortwave so I can hunt for numbers stations, overt propaganda from countries other than our own and insane hellfire preachers in the coming darkness.

Link plz?

Edit: Thanks for above

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 2, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'll put in for Heat Holders as the best thermal socks I've ever worn. They're not cheap and they do wear out quick, but they're described as "like wearing slippers under your shoes" and I can't argue with that.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

It's cool and rad that discussion in the UKMT has boiled down to how to retain body heat and sourcing backup power systems.

Can't wait until 2023 when we're comparing notes on how to hammer nails into a cricket bat and which roving gang of raiders is best to pay tribute to.

So not much change with the last bit then.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So I've been thinking about power/heat security for a while due to blackouts after a storm here in Canada in May (I've mentioned it a few times before - there was a storm that was functionally very similar to a tornado that hit half the population of Canada and some were without power for 12 days due to downed lines), and of course if power goes out in the winter here it can be a much bigger deal, since it can be bloody -30C outside.

As part of my prep I've bought a load of Ryobi One+ batteries (I already had some, plus tools e.g. drill, circular saw, lawnmower), a multi-charger that can do 6 at once (actually it houses 6 but charges one at a time sequentially), plus a couple of these: https://uk.ryobitools.eu/diy-power-tools/lighting/rll18/rll18-0/

They're lantern lights, powered by the Ryobi tool batteries, that also have a USB charger port. Ryobi also do an inverter for about the same cost, that has a plug socket plus 2x USB ports on it: https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/lifestyle/portable-power/power-inverters/ry18bi150a/ry18bi150a-1/

The lights can work as a light for ages on one decently-sized battery, plus you can charge your phone directly from them via the USB. You can sometimes get really good multi-deals on the batteries. You can also buy batteries off ebay really cheap but they're probably counterfeit and I have no idea what sort of actual capacity you'd get vs. what's claimed.

Anyway I've got something like 30Ah total capacity for lighting and phone/tablet battery in an emergency. I haven't bought an inverter because I figure anything larger I'd want to power might just drain the batteries in a matter of minutes - but it could be worth if for e.g. a laptop or a plug-in radio or something.

Also, I wanted to ask the thread - I want to get some sort of backup heat, so that I can at least warm one room. I do currently have a natural gas supply, to a central forced-air furnace - but with no electric there's nothing to power the blower fan so it won't work. I do also have an external gas hookup with what I think is l like a "quick hose" connection, which currently runs to a barbecue.

Would my best bet still be to get some kind of kerosene lamp or something though? I've been looking at kerosene or propane (canister) heaters but they all seem to say they're for outdoor usage only. Some of the reviews etc. say "you can run it indoors if you keep a window cracked" but won't that then let all of the heat out if it's -30° outside?? Would I need to do that anyway with one of the smaller kerosene mantle lamps?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 2, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Would my best bet still be to get some kind of kerosene lamp or something though? I've been looking at kerosene or propane (canister) heaters but they all seem to say they're for outdoor usage only. Some of the reviews etc. say "you can run it indoors if you keep a window cracked" but won't that then let all of the heat out? Would I need to do that anyway with one of the smaller kerosene mantle lamps?

It's possibly not wise, but in a pinch I've used those cheap Korean stoves with butane canisters indoors. They're about £20 and gas is as low as £1 a can in bulk, £2 if not. If you're in the situation where you're having to huddle, they're fine.

This kind of thing.

Edit: This was in a large room with a window cracked. It's not enough to heat the room, but it'll keep the chill off your hands/face/whatevs, plus you can boil water on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

Would my best bet still be to get some kind of kerosene lamp or something though? I've been looking at kerosene or propane (canister) heaters but they all seem to say they're for outdoor usage only. Some of the reviews etc. say "you can run it indoors if you keep a window cracked" but won't that then let all of the heat out if it's -30° outside?? Would I need to do that anyway with one of the smaller kerosene mantle lamps?
There's pretty much no indoor heat source that isn't terrible for air quality that isn't electric or has an outside exhaust pipe. Other than maybe 'heat big rocks up on a brazier outside and carry them in with thick welders gloves'.

Ethanol is probably the cleanest burning indoor fuel but isn't cheap.

White diesel (ultra low sulfur) in a kerosene heater is still going to be not great but much better than freezing.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

People like Badenoch being the next batch of inset scumbags, all while people like Pidcock get ejected from their party gives me no hope for this country and it's future.

Like I don't for the life of me understand how anyone of my Generation can subscribe to Tory ideals, but they do. We deal with young Tories running events at my workplace and they're exactly as you'd expect. It takes a certain level of self discipline to not just wrench them in the face as a reflex to their presence.

A large number of the young white people I interact with are small c conservative but don't vote.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1587788679703310336

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

Goes back to that old WW2 adage, “if I’m going out, at least I'm going out killing nazis”.

I suppose an advantage at the moment is you don't really have to aim, if you swing you'll probably hit one.

Necrothatcher posted:

I just got myself a huge power bank lithium battery with a plug socket on the side and a bunch of USB ports on it. Figure if it comes down to massive power cuts that'll get me through a night.

That or I'm going to live in my office and hope it's considered critical infrastructure.

Also if it runs out of power you can hit it with a hammer and be warm for the rest of your life :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

Dunno for certain, but I would bet B&M, the true store of the proletariat, will have a good selection of thermal-layer clothing. Aldi's Aisle Of Delights always has cycling and athletic stuff, they won't pass up the chance to add some cold-weather items too!

I was in boyes today looking for a camping stove and they have a large pile of thermal clothing.

I already own a lot of warm clothes though, and I would rather a big pair of fleece trackie bottoms than thermal undies. Already got a degloved sheep to wear on my hands and upper bod.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sky just gleefully pushing the narrative along

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1587763718796050434

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Szmitten posted:

I think this is all academic since the power won't be out for a full straight week and everything has implied that at worst it'll be rolling blackouts for 3 hours for 4 days? At that this war game is just a pre-2020 written "What if everything was hosed for a week?" scenario?
I know they're wargaming the worst case scenario but if there's one thing we've learned about JIT supply chains and Tory mismanagement, it's that the worst case scenario has now happened several times, and given the ideology of the people in charge is still very likely to happen because they absolutely refuse to do their loving jobs.

If the country collapses completely, they'll just abandon ship, bet against the pound, and take up consultancies in the US. There's no real risk in it for them. Some of the racists might feel a bit sad for good old blighty but I doubt the majority of them would even glance downwards as the planes left.

The thing that gets me is that middle class & up families are going to look back on these power cuts as a jolly adventure. They'll nip out and buy an oil heater for a couple hundred quid or something, and then they'll sit around with camping lamps and blankets, and then when the heating comes back on they can pen a guardian article about how it was sort of mirthful and the dog didn't seem to understand what was happening, "Just like the blitz!"

Meanwhile there are families who can't afford to just go out and spend a couple hundred quid on an accessory, who already probably have problems with mould and breathing issues from that, whithout enough food to keep their energy up, who are going to be immiserated or killed while the press pretends that this is all just a bit of a jolly.

E: more importantly, people who can't afford to sell up & move to another country. People who have debt, disabilities, pets, loved ones, health conditions, and many more reasons. When it gets bad enough the rich and middle class can ship out, the rest of us can't. Like all the people taking in Ukranian refugees, but of course only the nice middle class ones.

It's like Rees-Mogg being a heartless prick about Grenfell and saying he would simply leave the burning building instead of being ampathetic and thinking for even a second about why the building was burning, who was there, and why other people might not have been able to leave.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 2, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh god I'm going to hell for laughing at that

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1587856902448451584

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

Sky just gleefully pushing the narrative along

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1587763718796050434

Sure, framing a non-story like this in a scary way might further drive xenophobia and radicalisation of racists. But it'll drive engagement in the comments and that's all that really matters.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I bought an off brand Ryobi battery cheap on eBay. It was shite. Totally unusable on the impact wrench and generally rubbish with the other tools.

actually i'm pretty sure the I had another one that wouldnt even charge in the first place.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love too switch between percentages and numbers to maximise scariness.