Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PinkoBastard posted:

Is VS worse in America or something? My Canadian orders (which ship from Canada so maybe that explains it?) always seem to ship before or on the street date.

It's because they use FedEx for shipping now, and FedEx sucks rear end. I finally got my shipment yesterday, and the driver left it at the door below mine, the yellow vinsyn tape gave it away thankfully.

PinkoBastard posted:

I’m so loving sick of hearing about the translucent slips (not just here) I hope they never do anything like it again lol, I do hope that whatever that item is it’s worth it! I wonder if it’s a tie in with The Invisibke Maniac release?

Its kinda feeling like the Die-O-Rama debacle all over again, tbh, except this time it's only $5 instead of $150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there really not a 4K of North by Northwest yet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yea it's really odd that they've done two Hitchcock 4k volumes and still no North by Northwest. I assumed there must be a rights issue or something because why else would they release stuff like Saboteur or Family Plot before North by Northwest?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's really odd that they've done two Hitchcock 4k volumes and still no North by Northwest. I assumed there must be a rights issue or something because why else would they release stuff like Saboteur or Family Plot before North by Northwest?

not to say they are lesser movies, but you gotta pad out these director specific boxsets out with stuff people usually wouldnt pick up but then have the one or two that people REALLY want included in there to really push them over the edge into buying the $90 package.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a restoration that screened in Seattle earlier in the year, so yeah I'm thinking either it's a rights issue or it's coming soon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

not to say they are lesser movies, but you gotta pad out these director specific boxsets out with stuff people usually wouldnt pick up but then have the one or two that people REALLY want included in there to really push them over the edge into buying the $90 package.

I think North by Northwest would've been the perfect choice for the Volume 2 set though, like you said to entice people who may not care about the others. As it is I don't know how many people were looking for a set with Saboteur, Family Plot, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt and The Trouble With Harry. Compared to the first set at least, which had Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window and Vertigo. There's no comparison.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pretty sure this is a rights issue. North by Northwest is MGM. Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder are Warners Bros. Those Universal sets are incredible and hope something can be worked out to release those in that series as well. Or…at all. But the existing NBNW blu-ray is pretty great, though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I think North by Northwest would've been the perfect choice for the Volume 2 set though, like you said to entice people who may not care about the others. As it is I don't know how many people were looking for a set with Saboteur, Family Plot, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt and The Trouble With Harry. Compared to the first set at least, which had Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window and Vertigo. There's no comparison.

Fair enough.

OT: My Arrow UK UHD Edition of Videodrome is out for delivery today. Guess I'm taking a long lunch!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Shadow of a Doubt is top five Hitch though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Pretty sure this is a rights issue. North by Northwest is MGM. Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder are Warners Bros. Those Universal sets are incredible and hope something can be worked out to release those in that series as well. Or…at all. But the existing NBNW blu-ray is pretty great, though.

drat, that’s what I assumed when I saw it didn’t exist yet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Exciting!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
dream volume: rope, lifeboat, north by northwest, rebecca, strangers on a train

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

zer0spunk posted:

dream volume: rope, lifeboat, north by northwest, rebecca, strangers on a train

I've still gotta see Strangers on a Train, been meaning to check that out. The original 1 hr 40 min version is the preferred one these days? I remember some talk of that alternative "British cut" with a different ending etc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The inevitable third Hitchcock UHD box from Universal will include Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much '56, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy. First two were Warner and Paramount films originally, but Hitchcock bought them back in the 70s.

Warner Bros. owns...

Suspicion (RKO) - Warner Archive Blu 2016 (2K restoration)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (RKO) - No Blu-ray, possibly coming in 2023 from Warner Archive
Stage Fright (WB) - Warner Archive Blu released earlier this year from 4K scans of nitrate camera negative
Strangers on a Train (WB) - mainline Blu released in 2012 (using 2004 HD remaster)
I Confess (WB) - Warner Archive Blu released in 2016 (2K restoration)
Dial M for Murder (WB) - 3D mainline Blu-ray in 2009 (2K restoration?)
The Wrong Man (WB) - Warner Archive Blu released in 2016 (2K restoration)
North by Northwest (MGM) - mainline Blu released in 2009 (2K/4K restoration from VistaVision camera negative and color separations)

I can see Warner doing UHDs of Strangers on a Train and North by Northwest, but doubt they'll bother with the rest.

As for the rest post-1939 not owned by Warner or Universal...

Rebecca - Criterion Blu uses Disney/Criterion 4K restoration mostly from nitrate camera negative, likely upgrade in the future (Disney owns via Selznick Internation, part of ABC library)
Foreign Correspondent - Criterion Blu uses 2K restoration from nitrate camera negative, would be a likely upgrade. (owned by Shout! Factory via Westchester Films)
Lifeboat - Kino Blu uses older Fox HD master, no surviving camera negative. Unlikely to get a 4K remaster any time soon from Disney.
Spellbound - MGM Blu out of print, licensed from Disney. No camera negative apparently and likely back with Criterion.
Notorious - Criterion Blu uses Disney/Criterion 4K restoration mostly from nitrate camera negative, likely upgrade!
The Paradine Case - Kino Blu is now OOP, used 2000s HD master. Unlikely to get 4K remaster.
Under Capricorn - Kino Blu uses 4K scans of 3-strip Technicolor negative, but could use improvements. Probably not a big enough film for UHD.
To Catch a Thief - Paramount Presents Blu uses botched encode of new 4K restoration, could get a UHD upgrade from them or licensed to someone else. 4K version on digital apparently free of problems the Blu has.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

Lifeboat - Kino Blu uses older Fox HD master, no surviving camera negative. Unlikely to get a 4K remaster any time soon from Disney.

drat. Highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it, a masterclass in tension. No spoilers but it obviously takes place entirely in a lifeboat and is character driven by its very nature. Good stuff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1588311289180585984

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wait the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale is happening again?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

wait the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale is happening again?

every year, same as it always was

i'm going to order direct from them this year I think, anyone have any horror stories that they want to relate on that front before I do

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen is not on sale, boo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bought Night of the Living Dead Criterion 4K on sale on Amazon.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Just wait for it to go on sale for Criterion's Flash Sale in February.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm on the fence with in the mood for love...it uses the weird as hell tinting added to every movie in that newer boxset, which says to me we're never getting the original version on uhd.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I still haven't watched any of my purchases from the last sale :sweatdrop:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m not even going to look. I’m pretty much done buying movies this year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m not even going to look. I’m pretty much done buying movies this year.

:same:

Except whatever is not included in my VinSyn subscription on Black Friday, then I'm done for the year

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Christ I didn’t even think about Black Friday.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
On Black Friday I am going to buy gifts for my family like a normal person

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeahhh I can't get behind the WKW thing, what a huge waste

I already know fallen angels is a pass, I couldn't get used to the AR change

for anyone who has the box set and had already seen these before the restorations, how bad are the rest (i already know about the happy together edits due to fire)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could use a few months off from buying any movies but there are definitely three or four UHD releases that catch my eye before the end of the year. Dragons Forever, Supercop, High Plains Drifter, and The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three being the most obvious ones.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Why not both

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mutantIke posted:

You can give the gift of Peek-O-Rama UHDs to your family

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Black Friday is about buying for yourself

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There's a few things this month into dec that I wanna pick up still, but nothing that will sell out I assume.

Nov: Planes Trains and Automobiles (catalog), Wayne's World (catalog), Reservoir Dogs (catalog)
Dec: Pulp Fiction (catalog), Adaptation (catalog)

Hoping fargo actually comes out this year, but I think it'll keep pushing into 2023, KL also said 2022 for night of the hunter but that's still TBD so likely 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zer0spunk posted:

There's a few things this month into dec that I wanna pick up still, but nothing that will sell out I assume.

Nov: Planes Trains and Automobiles (catalog), Wayne's World (catalog), Reservoir Dogs (catalog)
Dec: Pulp Fiction (catalog), Adaptation (catalog)

gently caress, I forgot about Wayne's World.

I preordered Planes, Trains and Automobiles, it's my roommate's favorite movie, so I'm really looking forward to being able to watch that at Thanksgiving.

I also pre-ordered Return of the Living Dead, and I guess that will arrive some time before 2023, because Shout Factory. Same goes for Black Christmas, Coraline, and Carrie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Return of the Living Dead takes place on July 4th so don't feel too bad about it not getting to you by Halloween.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh poo poo is it really that rare now, I saw one at Best Buy but I’m a bit too broke to snag it currently

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah I don't think it's rare it's just Shout Factory struggling to get their orders out in a timely way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh ok. Yeah if your order is gonna be there in 2023 cancel that poo poo and look for it in stores lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

Oh ok. Yeah if your order is gonna be there in 2023 cancel that poo poo and look for it in stores lmao

Eh, it was a blanket email when I quiered that stated orders placed before October 7th would be shipped by October 31, and placed after October 7th, would be shipped by November 11.

I placed my order on October 8th :negative:

EDIT:

I'm more annoyed that they made no announcements about it and I had to send them an email to get this information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Any good or new bonus material on the Wayne's World 4K?