Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i had a bunch of notes I had taken while going through WoR but I lost all of them.

Two things I do remember I wanted to comment on:
1. Some Radiant spren are of Cultivation. But some people think she will be the villain of the books, or at least antagonistic. How would this effect her spren like Lift's Wyndle? Are Cryptics of Cultivation? They seem to hate Honorspren.

2. Some people think Shallan's mother was a Herald? I remember thinking she was like Teft's parents, she and her mysterious friend waned to test Shallan. But I seem to have remembered wrong since even as a young child Shallan had manifested her powers pretty blatantly. Still, dunno why some speculate she's a Herald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

i had a bunch of notes I had taken while going through WoR but I lost all of them.

Two things I do remember I wanted to comment on:
1. Some Radiant spren are of Cultivation. But some people think she will be the villain of the books, or at least antagonistic. How would this effect her spren like Lift's Wyndle? Are Cryptics of Cultivation? They seem to hate Honorspren.

2. Some people think Shallan's mother was a Herald? I remember thinking she was like Teft's parents, she and her mysterious friend waned to test Shallan. But I seem to have remembered wrong since even as a young child Shallan had manifested her powers pretty blatantly. Still, dunno why some speculate she's a Herald.

1. They're all blends, 'honorspren' won the debate as to being the most pure honor and got the name, but others (like highspren) argue that they themselves are purer

2. Basically because of the timeline, a physical resemblance, and the character not appearing elsewhere.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

2. Basically because of the timeline, a physical resemblance, and the character not appearing elsewhere.

The first time I saw that picture of Chanarach in the RoW insert, I thought it was actually supposed to be Shallan.

I mean seriously

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

acumen posted:

The first time I saw that picture of Chanarach in the RoW insert, I thought it was actually supposed to be Shallan.

I mean seriously

Not to mention there's a WoB that states that Taln didn't break, but if another herald died and went back to Braize.... It's a little too convenient so I guess it depends on how you feel about that sort of thing.
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/472/#e14869

Also, this isn't a denial: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/498/#e15653

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fezz posted:

Not to mention there's a WoB that states that Taln didn't break, but if another herald died and went back to Braize.... It's a little too convenient so I guess it depends on how you feel about that sort of thing.

Dalinar leaped to his feet. “It’s him!” he shouted. “The madman. He really is a Herald!”
HE FINALLY BROKE, the Stormfather said. HE HAS JOINED THE NINE, WHO STILL LIVE. IN THESE MILLENNIA NONE HAVE EVER DIED AND RETURNED TO DAMNATION,

I just got to this in OB. Don't know how I feel about a character like SF being totally wrong on something so pivotal to him and the world and the only contradiction being the author's comments totally outside the books. He somehow missed one of them dying AND was wrong about Taln?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 30, 2022

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Dalinar leaped to his feet. “It’s him!” he shouted. “The madman. He really is a Herald!”
HE FINALLY BROKE, the Stormfather said. HE HAS JOINED THE NINE, WHO STILL LIVE. IN THESE MILLENNIA NONE HAVE EVER DIED AND RETURNED TO DAMNATION,

I just got to this in OB. Don't know how I feel about a character like SF being totally wrong on something so pivotal to him and the world and the only contradiction being the author's comments totally outside the books. He somehow missed one of them dying AND was wrong about Taln?

If I remember correctly it is not the first time that the stormfather is wrong. Perhaps he was not keeping too close an eye on them and has just assumed they were all still alive? He's certainly not omnipotent.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Stormfather says that Kaladin has killed Syl, that she's broken, and that he will never ride the winds again, in a vision in the chasms during WoR, so sometimes he's just being dramatic

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yes, the storm father is not god, and he can only see snapshots of the larger world as the storm passes over them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In a bit more than two weeks, we will have The Lost Metal. Meaning tomorrow will be our second-to-last preview chapter, I'm very excited.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Torrannor posted:

In a bit more than two weeks, we will have The Lost Metal. Meaning tomorrow will be our second-to-last preview chapter, I'm very excited.

It's crazy to think that there won't be any more Wax and Wayne stories after this. I started reading Sanderson after Hero of Ages was out but before Way of Kings, so I've almost always had a Mistborn Era 2 book to look forward to. Its kind of bittersweet. I hope it's a good ending for these characters. I'm really excited for the potential of Era 3

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes, the storm father is not god, and he can only see snapshots of the larger world as the storm passes over them.

And he’s a messy king who lives for drama

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Torrannor posted:

drat that soon? I was thinking it was still pretty far out. Maybe I should re-read era 2...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

drat that soon? I was thinking it was still pretty far out. Maybe I should re-read era 2...

I only read the Era 2 books one time years ago now. I definitely need to go through them again. They just never...wowed me like the Trilogy or TSA.

EDIT:
I wanted to know what, if anything, is up with the Stormwardens. Somebody on Reddit says the one who branded Kal was Kelek, based on RoW. I don't remember this revelation at all.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 31, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Next chapter is up. What a cliffhanger. Seeing the Ghostbloods turn up is not unexpected, but it's still exciting! And as I wrote last week, if Wax really has found a way to reliably create Atium and Lerasium, it would change everything. And we would have to rethink our Scadrial vs. Roshar theories.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Next chapter is up. What a cliffhanger. Seeing the Ghostbloods turn up is not unexpected, but it's still exciting! And as I wrote last week, if Wax really has found a way to reliably create Atium and Lerasium, it would change everything. And we would have to rethink our Scadrial vs. Roshar theories.

there's also Trellium thrown into the mix... A possibility that it'll create a third hybrid of the three?
Also there's always the chance that somebody spying on them sneaks in and takes it right after it's created

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Ah yeah, called it with Wayne. Lost Metal/RoW: Even if someone steals the lerasium though, he could just make more. On one hand loving holy poo poo if there's a new source of lerasium, on the other the reaction seems similar to anti-voidlight and voidlight reacting, so I'm going to be a little surprised if there's anything left in the basement. Maybe if the trellium is consumed in the reaction breaking apart the other two sources of power? Time to lick the walls and floor for bits of lerasium/atium.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Torrannor posted:

If he can create the god metals from Scadrial, who's to say he can't create Tanavastium and Raysium and Koravellium? Maybe you can eat a bead of metal and become a surgebinder or an Awakener, too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Torrannor posted:

Cosmere Avengers theory: If there are full mistborn in the technofiture Scadrian-Rosharan conflict, hooooooooly poo poo yes

one of my biggest beefs with magic in Mistborn Era 2 is that magic has been largely reduced to "he pushed bullet real hard, so hard" and "funny man got hurt but he's ok"

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Potato Salad posted:

Cosmere Avengers theory: If there are full mistborn in the technofiture Scadrian-Rosharan conflict, hooooooooly poo poo yes

one of my biggest beefs with magic in Mistborn Era 2 is that magic has been largely reduced to "he pushed bullet real hard, so hard" and "funny man got hurt but he's ok"

I do wish he'd show off more of the really off-the-wall combos of powers that are now possible. I'm here for the weird superpowers you created whole universes to contain, man!

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Fezz posted:

Makes me wonder if one of Shallan's final truths she has to admit is that when she killed her mom she set events in motion that indirectly led to the desolation. Though Gavilar, Ulim, and Venli were also already doing whatever they were doing, so it may have just been a matter of time anyway.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Infinite Karma posted:

If he can create the god metals from Scadrial, who's to say he can't create Tanavastium and Raysium and Koravellium? Maybe you can eat a bead of metal and become a surgebinder or an Awakener, too.

if I recall lerasium works the way it does because everyone from scadrial already has trace amounts of preservation in them. It might not work the same way for other systems but then again begs the question of what, exactly, another god metal would do in the scadrial context. We know that Trellium can be used in hemalurgy but what are its effects with allomancy and feruchemy? You'd probably need to be a genuine full mistborn to find out which means finding a source of lerasium

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Infinite Karma posted:

He can't create the god metals from Scadrial from scratch though. If the process needs Trellium, he needs two god metals for the whole process anyway. It's just that while Harmonium is pretty useful, especially in civilian applications (air ships are useful!), Lerasium and Atium are unquestionably much more powerful in combat. But he still needs to get Harmonium to make Atium and Lerasium, it's not as if he's conjuring them out of thin air. And so this has no impact on the ability to get Tanavestium and the like, because it's not like those shards are joined with other shards, and have a joined metal to split.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lobsterpillar posted:

if I recall lerasium works the way it does because everyone from scadrial already has trace amounts of preservation in them. It might not work the same way for other systems but then again begs the question of what, exactly, another god metal would do in the scadrial context. We know that Trellium can be used in hemalurgy but what are its effects with allomancy and feruchemy? You'd probably need to be a genuine full mistborn to find out which means finding a source of lerasium

Lerasium works on everyone, that's why Hoid could grab some and become a Mistborn. You might be able to argue that he's a special case, but I imagine that's why only a small amount was ever made.

Seems like the shard holder has control of whether or not the god metal gets created and how much of it at a time, but once it's out there it just does what it does. It could be that in order for Trell to use hemalurgy they had to create some of their god metal, so if Honor or Odium wanted to get involved they'd need to make one as well.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

seaborgium posted:

Lerasium works on everyone, that's why Hoid could grab some and become a Mistborn. You might be able to argue that he's a special case, but I imagine that's why only a small amount was ever made.

Seems like the shard holder has control of whether or not the god metal gets created and how much of it at a time, but once it's out there it just does what it does. It could be that in order for Trell to use hemalurgy they had to create some of their god metal, so if Honor or Odium wanted to get involved they'd need to make one as well.

my point was that a random person probably couldn't consume a bit of Trellium and burn it allomantically. We do know that Atium mistings exist, so possibly there are some latent Trellium mistings out there, but there's no way to tell (although Harmony might be able to). In the absence of a Trellium misting that leaves a full mistborn (via Lerasium) or perhaps creating a Trellium misting via Hemalurgy (but then you still need to find a Trellium misting to start with).
I don't even know how one would discover the feruchemical properties.

On another note it irritates me that Harmony clearly wanted to talk to Wax but just sent him a text message and he procrastinated putting the earring in and instead set up an explosive god metal experiment. I get that he has some history but I really want to know what Harmony has to say.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe Harmony should be less of an rear end in a top hat if he wants to remain on speaking terms with people.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
At this point I’m kind of wondering if Harmony knows that what he’s doing is causing Wax to push off returning his call, as part of some plan for him to contact him an a particularly opportune moment.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Maybe Harmony should be less of an rear end in a top hat if he wants to remain on speaking terms with people.

Yes

Also was reading up on God metals on copper mind and came upon this:

quote:

Brandon has indicated that the atium present in Mistborn Era 1 is actually an alloy of atium and electrum.
That's interesting, and makes me wonder if what Wax finds after that explosion is not Lerasium but a Harmonium or Lerasium and/or Atium or Trellium alloy that formed with some of the metals in the containment box (like lead or steel)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think Trellium may be a "metal" only because its part of Trell's plan to infiltrate Scadrial, which means playing by Scadrian rules of investiture. Trell, who I still suspect is an autonomous avatar of Autonomy, wouldn't have an ingestible metal otherwise as investiture is found in unique ways in each shardic cosmere system. He's a mimic, and seeing hemalurgy and copying it seems to match my expectations..

Ingestible being the differentiating phrase. The manifestations of the shards in gaseous and liquid forms aren't exactly food safe. As far as I can tell the solid form of manifestation on Roshar is the material of shardblades and the oathgate mechanisms. I don't think you'd want to try eating that either.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

I think Trellium may be a "metal" only because its part of Trell's plan to infiltrate Scadrial, which means playing by Scadrian rules of investiture. Trell, who I still suspect is an autonomous avatar of Autonomy, wouldn't have an ingestible metal otherwise as investiture is found in unique ways in each shardic cosmere system. He's a mimic, and seeing hemalurgy and copying it seems to match my expectations..

Ingestible being the differentiating phrase. The manifestations of the shards in gaseous and liquid forms aren't exactly food safe. As far as I can tell the solid form of manifestation on Roshar is the material of shardblades and the oathgate mechanisms. I don't think you'd want to try eating that either.

The copper mind article on God metals is quite illuminating. Confirms that harmonium does have an allomantic property but because it reacts explosively with water, quite difficult to consume in such a way, and that shardblades and plate are God metals - alloys of honour and cultivation generally, depending on the spren.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As much as I do love Oathbringer, I probably don't have the intended emotional reactions in some areas.

Tanalan at the Rift brought this fate upon himself and his people through his duplicity. He was offered mercy and tried to murder Dalinar. "Act with honor and honor will aid you." Dalinar received the opposite lesson for his entire life. It doesn't make what Dalinar did right but it's important to note he did try to do the right thing until he was betrayed. Also his march back to the Rift is fuckin' awesome. I have no desire to see a Stormlight adaptation but if it does happen, I would like to see a suitably dramatic and badass depiction of the bloodied, red-eyes demon Dalinar returning.

Shallan's situation has always made me the angriest, though. She goes out of her way to help people and they all spit at her and tear her down even more than she's already torn down. Someone earlier said their re-read of the books made them want to protect this poor, precious girl, and I agree. She has to be protected from the people she's trying to protect. I realize these are poor, terrified, victimized people, but they're also no one. I care more about Shallan's wellbeing than theirs, this main character of three books outweighs these characters in two chapters.

I think this is why I do in fact sympathize with Elhokar. The world is probably better for his death but I can still pity him because we've seen so much of him for so long. The situztion with him and Moaxh is far more nuanced than he others as I have an actual connection with all parties involved.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 2, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't want to backseat mod, but is there a reason we're posting full on spoilers when we know at least one regular reader of the thread (Mordiceus) still hasn't started Stormlight Archive yet?

M_Gargantua posted:

Wyndle tells Lift that he doesn't need to materialize as a shardblade, he can be a stick or fork, but his solid form must be metal. So I think it's pretty much confirmed that the solid form of a god's power must be metal. Likewise, we know Devotion had a shardpool in Elantris, Preservation had one in Luthadel and Ruin had one in the Pits of Hathsin, and Cultivation has a shardpool in the Horneater Peaks. So a shard's power can also always be in a liquid form. These are universal properties of shards, I think.

This also fits with aluminum being the anti-investiture material in every part of the Cosmere, not just Scadrial. Or silver's interesting properties in regards to the shades on Threnody.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can we at least start tagging what sort of stuff we're spoiling again? I'm not reading the TLM chapters but I want to talk aout other stuff, and it's turning into russian roulette up in here.

Donkey posted:

Makes me wonder if one of Shallan's final truths she has to admit is that when she killed her mom she set events in motion that indirectly led to the desolation. Though Gavilar, Ulim, and Venli were also already doing whatever they were doing, so it may have just been a matter of time anyway.
SA in general: That's not really a truth in the way Lightweavers seem to need them to be, though. It'd be new information to her, not something she denies about herself.

And on that note, Shallan should be Fourth Ideal now, right? "I killed my mother", "I killed my father", "I killed Testament", that's three. She ought to be due Shardplate when she gets out of Shadesmar. And her final truth basically has to be "I deserve to be loved".

NikkolasKing posted:

As much as I do love Oathbringer, I probably don't have the intended emotional reactions in some areas.

Tanalan at the Rift brought this fate upon himself and his people through his duplicity.

Himself and whatever of his military forces it takes to make the rest surrender, absolutely. Dalinar is not at fault for that. But killing literally every single civilian is a loving war crime. I'm sure there was a baby or two born just hours before the Rift burned. What'd that newborn do to deserve being burned alive?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

SA in general: That's not really a truth in the way Lightweavers seem to need them to be, though. It'd be new information to her, not something she denies about herself.

And on that note, Shallan should be Fourth Ideal now, right? "I killed my mother", "I killed my father", "I killed Testament", that's three. She ought to be due Shardplate when she gets out of Shadesmar. And her final truth basically has to be "I deserve to be loved".

Himself and whatever of his military forces it takes to make the rest surrender, absolutely. Dalinar is not at fault for that. But killing literally every single civilian is a loving war crime. I'm sure there was a baby or two born just hours before the Rift burned. What'd that newborn do to deserve being burned alive?

Stormlight RoW speculation - I had a thought that maybe Shallan will have to say 7 or 8 truths, as Testament is still following her around and bonded to her, as she was able to summon a Testament blade in WoK even before speaking the first truth to Pattern in WoK Ch 45. That first technical truth spoken to Pattern was "I am Terrified", so by that count she's already at four truths on screen as of RoW. So I think maybe she has a truth deficit to pay back in parallel, having both a dead and living spren bonded. The one or two unknown truth's she spoke as a kid to Testament that granted blade. Right now we know that Lightweavers get both Illumination and Transformation before blade. So with some conjecture - "I am Terrified" was the first truth spoken to pattern, granting her soulcasting which she used to create the bloody mess, and "I killed my father" gave her access to Pattern as a blade, which is what she used to kill Tyn and lend to Kaladin. So now she's caught up to where she was originally before Testament died. That makes "I killed my mother" her fourth ideal, but one given to Testament, and "I killed Testament" her fourth idea, spoken to Pattern. I think then she now qualifies for Plate, and she'll have to swear two more to complete the fifth. A problem the original knights or shard bearers didn't have, and a unique case.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oathbringer Spoilers:
Dalinar has many great moments in this book but I think the two "big" ones are the march back to Rathalas and defying Odium.

But a third great moment - just as powerful as the other two for me - is "A Small Bottle' with Renarin. Michael Kramer is incomparably perfect here in expressing just what a frightened, broken, desperate man Dalinar has become as he hugs his son.

Dalinar licked his lips. “What did she tell you?” he said, voice ragged. “What did your mother say about me?”
The only honest officer in the army,” Renarin said, “the honorable soldier. Noble, like the Heralds themselves. Our father. The greatest man in Alethkar.”

I'll never forget a moment from this small chapter. Probably never get through it without tearing up, either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

M_Gargantua posted:

Stormlight RoW speculation - I had a thought that maybe Shallan will have to say 7 or 8 truths, as Testament is still following her around and bonded to her, as she was able to summon a Testament blade in WoK even before speaking the first truth to Pattern in WoK Ch 45. That first technical truth spoken to Pattern was "I am Terrified", so by that count she's already at four truths on screen as of RoW. So I think maybe she has a truth deficit to pay back in parallel, having both a dead and living spren bonded. The one or two unknown truth's she spoke as a kid to Testament that granted blade. Right now we know that Lightweavers get both Illumination and Transformation before blade. So with some conjecture - "I am Terrified" was the first truth spoken to pattern, granting her soulcasting which she used to create the bloody mess, and "I killed my father" gave her access to Pattern as a blade, which is what she used to kill Tyn and lend to Kaladin. So now she's caught up to where she was originally before Testament died. That makes "I killed my mother" her fourth ideal, but one given to Testament, and "I killed Testament" her fourth idea, spoken to Pattern. I think then she now qualifies for Plate, and she'll have to swear two more to complete the fifth. A problem the original knights or shard bearers didn't have, and a unique case.
I mean, I really don't know about that. It seems really out-there, but who knows Deadeye Knights are gonna work.

I just hope I'm right, mostly for plot consistency, but also because it's an opportunity for prime physical comedy.

*Shallan steps out of Oathgate with two Blades*

Hey everyone, I'm back, and boy do I have things to tell... wait... WHAT THE--

*Shallan is cut off as hundreds of creationspren zoom in out of nowhere and slam into her*

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Re:RoW spoilers: I'm skeptical but interested in the double truths required idea. Since we know Brandonson loves his anime, Shallan could get a small mech sized amount of plate.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Stormlight structure in general:

I think the flashback chapters in Way of Kings are an interesting narrative device at the start, but by the time you get closer to the end it feels a bit predictable. I think the Shallan flashbacks in WOR drag on as well, and maybe that's some of why Shallan gets the dislike she gets - here's another chapter of her backstory before we continue to move the plot forward. I think he really nailed flashbacks as a storytelling tool in Oathbringer - I feel like I spent the last half of that book just thinking "oh god Dalinar, what did you do" as each flashback moved along, and feeling as on edge about the flashback chapters as I did with the main prime timeline chapters.

I appreciate the labeling of spoiler tags. I'm in a re-read of Bands of Mourning right now, and I'm waiting until Lost Metal comes out before starting it, so it's taken a lot of restraint to skip those spoilers until I start reading in a couple weeks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Let's talk Wax & Wayne books -

How would you all rank the three books from best worse? My ranking would be:

Shadows of Self > Alloy of Law > Bands of Mourning

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

CapnAndy posted:

I just hope I'm right, mostly for plot consistency, but also because it's an opportunity for prime physical comedy.

*Shallan steps out of Oathgate with two Blades*

Hey everyone, I'm back, and boy do I have things to tell... wait... WHAT THE--

*Shallan is cut off as hundreds of creationspren zoom in out of nowhere and slam into her*

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Re:RoW spoilers: I'm skeptical but interested in the double truths required idea. Since we know Brandonson loves his anime, Shallan could get a small mech sized amount of plate.

RoW spoilers if Shallan gets double Shardplate and ends up with an Iron Widow esque chasmfiend/santhid mecha I do not know whether I am going to cheer or be kind of mad.

road potato posted:

Stormlight structure in general:

I think the flashback chapters in Way of Kings are an interesting narrative device at the start, but by the time you get closer to the end it feels a bit predictable. I think the Shallan flashbacks in WOR drag on as well, and maybe that's some of why Shallan gets the dislike she gets - here's another chapter of her backstory before we continue to move the plot forward. I think he really nailed flashbacks as a storytelling tool in Oathbringer - I feel like I spent the last half of that book just thinking "oh god Dalinar, what did you do" as each flashback moved along, and feeling as on edge about the flashback chapters as I did with the main prime timeline chapters.

The Shallan flashbacks worked fine for me, but I think I'm in the minority for liking Shallan anyway. The ones that REALLY didn't work for me were the Venli flashbacks. But maybe it's because OB spoilers I preferred Eshonai. I know Sanderson has been on the recording saying that he felt like her narrative and Kaladin's were too similar and he wanted to experiment with a different kind of character arc, but after most of the Parshendi stuff was revealed earlier than planned, that left very little over for Venli's flashbacks to be interesting...and Eshonai and Kaladin are still very different characters from very different cultures so I don't think I would have minded the overlap in character archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OB/ROW spoilers: I figured Venli was chosen because of the surprise and irony. As she tells Timber, "you got the wrong sister." Eshonai is far more the conventional hero while Venli has to claw and scrape to become half the good person and hero her sister was.

Dalinar is kinda the same way, although I hear many bad things about Gavilar from a certain prologue. I heard some people claim there were hints of this in OB's flashbacks, in how he treated Dalinar, but he never says one harsh word about his brother, ever. He shows nothing but concern when Adolin and Elhokar talk about Dalinar's drunkenness and both Dalinar and Sadeas agree Gavilar would never have burned the city.