Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
midterm predictions
This poll is closed.
blue wave 61 10.57%
red wave 65 11.27%
stalemate 92 15.94%
goku 359 62.22%
Total: 459 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!

https://twitter.com/travis_cosgriff/status/1587871698484834304?t=h6a-Y60ID_pUkZRMwBBaAw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Louisgod posted:

the only thing I've ever seen the fed do is increase or decrease interest rates and am convinced this is all they have ever done.

they're the lever comic but unironically

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Over a year later, Republican appointees to Wisconsin tech school board still refuse to resign despite expired terms

The Badger Project
September 28, 2022

https://pbswisconsin.org/news-item/...-expired-terms/

Three members of the 13-seat Wisconsin Technical College System board continue to serve in those positions despite their terms ending in May of 2021.

The trio — Becky Levzow, Kelly Tourdot and Mary Williams, a former Republican state legislator — were all appointed by former Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican.

In June, the right-leaning majority of the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that a Walker-appointed member of the state's Department of Natural Resources board, Fred Prehn, who had also refused to resign despite his term expiring, could not be removed by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers without cause. That court decision opened the door for the three members of the technical college board to remain indefinitely past the ends of their terms.

Reached by phone and asked why she is staying on the board when her term was ended, Williams had the following to say:

"I think it's a rule," she said in the short interview before ending it to take another call. "You stay and as soon as the Senate takes up that person, and they go through what they have to do, that's when I'm gone."

Levzow, a dairy farmer from Rio and Tourdot, a construction trade association executive from Waunakee, did not return several messages seeking comment.

Regardless of what happens in the Republican-controlled state Senate, board members with expired terms could step down at any time, but the state Supreme Court decision severely restricts the governor's ability to force them out.

Since Evers became governor in 2019, the state Senate has refused to confirm many of his appointees, including for the DNR board and the technical college board. Evers' appointees would replace the Republican-appointed members who now refuse to depart the boards despite their terms ending.

And Senate Majority Leader Devin LeMahieu, R-Oostburg, said in January the state Senate would not confirm any more for the rest of 2022.

"It's kind of a sad commentary on the way that politics is going these days," said Joseph Heim, a UW-La Crosse political science professor emeritus. "It seems to me it's a groundbreaking tactic that just adds to the overall turmoil in the government in Wisconsin."

Should Evers win re-election this fall, other Republican-appointed members of state boards might continue the practice of staying on past the expiration of their terms. When reached by The Badger Project in July, two other Walker-appointed members of the DNR board refused to say whether they would step down when their terms end in 2023. Prehn staying on the board past the end of his term ensures a Republican majority for the time being. And the president of the technical college board Rodney Pasch, who was also appointed by Walker, would not commit to stepping down when his term expires next year, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The terms of state boards are staggered with the intention that an incoming governor from an opposing party cannot immediately remake its membership with their preferred appointees.

But Republican norm-breaking has allowed the political party to maintain control of the DNR board, and could flip other boards to their control sooner if they win the governor’s seat this fall, experts say. A Republican governor's nominees are likely to be approved by the state Senate, which is controlled by Republicans now and highly unlikely to be retaken by Democrats in 2022. This is due to the fact that all state legislators must run in district maps drawn by Republicans that maximize their electoral advantage.

Ed Miller, a political science professor emeritus at the UW-Stevens Point, wrote in an email that "my view is a term is a term. Once the term is over, the position is vacant."

Allowing the past appointee to go beyond the term is unconstitutional by violating the Constitution's allocation of powers and a violation of the statute that created the term, he wrote.

"The court majority is just making up the decision to adhere to their partisanship," Miller wrote. "Reflects badly on the court."

In her majority opinion for the court's right-leaning bloc, Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Annette Ziegler wrote that Prehn could stay past the end of his term until his successor is confirmed by the state Senate.

"This conclusion complies with the plain language of the Wisconsin Statutes and does not raise constitutional concerns," she wrote.

The court's three left-leaning justices disagreed.

"The majority's absurd holding allows Prehn's six-year term on the Board of Natural Resources — which expired over a year ago — to last for as long as Prehn wants it to, so long as he refuses to leave and the Senate doesn't confirm a successor nominated by the governor," Justice Rebecca Dallet wrote in her dissent.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the ol' jerk n whizz

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

whenever I see sports dudes talking about their teams I'm reminded they have more ingrained knowledge of stats and lore than the most diehard Wookiepedia editor

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

el cheezer

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1587875532439359489

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

tacodaemon posted:

Over a year later, Republican appointees to Wisconsin tech school board still refuse to resign despite expired terms

The Badger Project
September 28, 2022

https://pbswisconsin.org/news-item/...-expired-terms/

Three members of the 13-seat Wisconsin Technical College System board continue to serve in those positions despite their terms ending in May of 2021.

The trio — Becky Levzow, Kelly Tourdot and Mary Williams, a former Republican state legislator — were all appointed by former Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican.

In June, the right-leaning majority of the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that a Walker-appointed member of the state's Department of Natural Resources board, Fred Prehn, who had also refused to resign despite his term expiring, could not be removed by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers without cause. That court decision opened the door for the three members of the technical college board to remain indefinitely past the ends of their terms.

Reached by phone and asked why she is staying on the board when her term was ended, Williams had the following to say:

"I think it's a rule," she said in the short interview before ending it to take another call. "You stay and as soon as the Senate takes up that person, and they go through what they have to do, that's when I'm gone."

Levzow, a dairy farmer from Rio and Tourdot, a construction trade association executive from Waunakee, did not return several messages seeking comment.

Regardless of what happens in the Republican-controlled state Senate, board members with expired terms could step down at any time, but the state Supreme Court decision severely restricts the governor's ability to force them out.

Since Evers became governor in 2019, the state Senate has refused to confirm many of his appointees, including for the DNR board and the technical college board. Evers' appointees would replace the Republican-appointed members who now refuse to depart the boards despite their terms ending.

And Senate Majority Leader Devin LeMahieu, R-Oostburg, said in January the state Senate would not confirm any more for the rest of 2022.

"It's kind of a sad commentary on the way that politics is going these days," said Joseph Heim, a UW-La Crosse political science professor emeritus. "It seems to me it's a groundbreaking tactic that just adds to the overall turmoil in the government in Wisconsin."

Should Evers win re-election this fall, other Republican-appointed members of state boards might continue the practice of staying on past the expiration of their terms. When reached by The Badger Project in July, two other Walker-appointed members of the DNR board refused to say whether they would step down when their terms end in 2023. Prehn staying on the board past the end of his term ensures a Republican majority for the time being. And the president of the technical college board Rodney Pasch, who was also appointed by Walker, would not commit to stepping down when his term expires next year, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The terms of state boards are staggered with the intention that an incoming governor from an opposing party cannot immediately remake its membership with their preferred appointees.

But Republican norm-breaking has allowed the political party to maintain control of the DNR board, and could flip other boards to their control sooner if they win the governor’s seat this fall, experts say. A Republican governor's nominees are likely to be approved by the state Senate, which is controlled by Republicans now and highly unlikely to be retaken by Democrats in 2022. This is due to the fact that all state legislators must run in district maps drawn by Republicans that maximize their electoral advantage.

Ed Miller, a political science professor emeritus at the UW-Stevens Point, wrote in an email that "my view is a term is a term. Once the term is over, the position is vacant."

Allowing the past appointee to go beyond the term is unconstitutional by violating the Constitution's allocation of powers and a violation of the statute that created the term, he wrote.

"The court majority is just making up the decision to adhere to their partisanship," Miller wrote. "Reflects badly on the court."

In her majority opinion for the court's right-leaning bloc, Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Annette Ziegler wrote that Prehn could stay past the end of his term until his successor is confirmed by the state Senate.

"This conclusion complies with the plain language of the Wisconsin Statutes and does not raise constitutional concerns," she wrote.

The court's three left-leaning justices disagreed.

"The majority's absurd holding allows Prehn's six-year term on the Board of Natural Resources — which expired over a year ago — to last for as long as Prehn wants it to, so long as he refuses to leave and the Senate doesn't confirm a successor nominated by the governor," Justice Rebecca Dallet wrote in her dissent.

imagine stepping down because someone lost an election

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexvtunzelmann/status/1587845081297469441

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Joe just letting the fed cause a recession and taking it like a dog

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1587845042407964673

https://twitter.com/mruram/status/1587814169596006400

https://twitter.com/morningbrew/status/1572729134395969536

it's done

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1587873284997218304?t=rv5I9ESHo-vK9d7EVLWmCw&s=19

:d2a:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

wow! total and complete and even more strongly

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!

tacodaemon posted:

if that endorsement gets any more strongly trump gonna kiss him on the mouth

gregday
May 23, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

11x endorsement impact activated

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

holtemon posted:

I've always wanted to get one of those scrapers with the camera on it to clean out my ear, but then I get to thinking and it's like do I really wanna spend $40 to possibly blow up my eardrum? No thank you, no blown ear drums here please

ive ruptured my eardrum before. its not as bad as you’d expect

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
:yooge: "A GEM"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

kaleedity posted:

going easy on glenn since he's still getting over the election results

why? he said himself he is neither mad nor upset and he is actually laughing

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Bearjew posted:

Trump is dead

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

but sir, what of the devious and dastardly exploits of the Hamburgler, or the rampant unfettered spending of Mayor McCheese? the people of Utah and their fry kids demand answers, sir

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this is the biggest motivator to vote in a long time

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1587855676801441795

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CODChimera posted:

this is the biggest motivator to vote in a long time

For sure, I would make a point of voting in person just to get that sticker

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Would have paid 20 dollars a month for this

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the tulsi thing going full nazi camps thing was quicker than I'd have thought, but i guess that's always a fascism thing since she was always that way

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

But decorum!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

UFOTacoMan posted:

just wasn't expecting a headless mannequin body with words on it

heh

that's where you're wrong, bucko

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/bearshome_art/status/1587569501071081472

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I genuinely hope this is the last American Election. America does not deserve to survive

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Stairmaster posted:

trump died?????????

he lived an amazing life what can u say

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Spaced God posted:

I genuinely hope this is the last American Election. America does not deserve to survive

The Phillies are trying their best

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Also did you know there's a difference between between a regular tiff and a bigtiff because apparently my 16 gb files are too powerful for regular tiff... There goes a lot of work

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

As I type this NPR is talking about how Kari Lake laughing at Paul Pelosi being nearly murdered is just “campaign talk”. These people are incredibly unprepared for what’s coming.

lol

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Schmoe Cwead posted:

he lived an amazing life what can u say

he even got to be in that movie with the home alone kid

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a Pittsburgh quesadilla

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Spaced God posted:

Also did you know there's a difference between between a regular tiff and a bigtiff because apparently my 16 gb files are too powerful for regular tiff... There goes a lot of work

big tiffs

honka badonkas

big mommy media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Good Citizen posted:

it’s not about inflation it’s about shifting what little power labor has gained back to capital

yes

the fed is run by a bunch of bosses who correctly see the dichotomy of the class conflict and understand that any gains made by labor must be at the expense of capital, which just isn't in their self interest

they're fine with a recession or stagflation or whatever as long as it's on their terms and they can profit from it like they did during the pandemic

their only goal is to increase the salaries of the executive class