Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Large Chris Redfield built me a tank with a chainsaw arm attached to it so I will not hear a word against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Large Chris Redfield built me a tank with a chainsaw arm attached to it so I will not hear a word against him.

I still love that this was his genuine honest response to we are fighting Magneto.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've said it before, but Tiny Tank is one of the greatest little things in a game of all time.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

I guess I shouldn’t complain. There was that time my house was about to be crushed by an enormous runaway boulder while my wife and children were inside and Chris just punched it in half like it was nothing. Sure, the boulder shards killed my neighbor’s dog and caused thousands of dollars in property damage but you can’t put a price tag on safety

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got Kirby and the Forgotten Lands for my birthday and it's really fun and cute so far. I like how far it takes the ruined civilisation aesthetic and how tricky some of the secrets can get. I'm just at the boss of the 4th world.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s just a cool vibe in general, “post-apocalyptic world but Kirby” wasn’t something I really knew I wanted but it’s a cool way to incorporate all sorts of atypical stages like “mall”, “snowy park” and “amusement park”.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I got Kirby and the Forgotten Lands for my birthday and it's really fun and cute so far. I like how far it takes the ruined civilisation aesthetic and how tricky some of the secrets can get. I'm just at the boss of the 4th world.

Yeah it's a really great game, the difficulty curve is well designed so that the main quest is satisfying but if you want to save all the Waddle-Dees (and why wouldn't you) it gets more complicated

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There's so many little things in Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga that it's faster to just say "like 85% of the game", but I'm really getting a kick out of picking a rando character and just scooting around the galaxy running delivery/bounty/etc sidequests.

Also the Outrider is in, which is nice.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm playing Vampyr, and this game has this gimmick where, (spoiler? it's a gameplay mechanic but feels spoilerish) the more you know about a person, the more XP you gain by sucking them dry* and I was kind of just talking to a bunch of people so I can learn more about other people for the purpose of said mechanic, but when I maxed out my first person, he had told me this heartbreaking story about this German bombing and his wife's death and even though I would get mad xp by sucking him dry* because I'm a vampyr I just couldn't do it. So I guess that's like a really cool little thing about this game.

*you know what I mean

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Last Celebration posted:

It’s just a cool vibe in general, “post-apocalyptic world but Kirby” wasn’t something I really knew I wanted but it’s a cool way to incorporate all sorts of atypical stages like “mall”, “snowy park” and “amusement park”.

The amusement park in particular is probably one of my favourites- there's a ton of little touches that make it actually feel like a real amusement park, not just a bunch of setpieces in a theme. Check out the gacha toys you can get, a lot of them have fluff that ties into the world.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

I'm playing Vampyr, and this game has this gimmick where, (spoiler? it's a gameplay mechanic but feels spoilerish) the more you know about a person, the more XP you gain by sucking them dry* and I was kind of just talking to a bunch of people so I can learn more about other people for the purpose of said mechanic, but when I maxed out my first person, he had told me this heartbreaking story about this German bombing and his wife's death and even though I would get mad xp by sucking him dry* because I'm a vampyr I just couldn't do it. So I guess that's like a really cool little thing about this game.

*you know what I mean

Dead people don't have to live in London anymore. You'd be doing him a favour really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Midgame in Signalis;

There's an enemy type that'll just quietly climb out of the floor. No sound, just a floor plate sliding aside as it climbs out and immediately pursues you. They're almost never im the way, and only in set rooms, but just a really evil way to make you hurry through a room. And further making you worry as to if each new room is ever truly safe or not.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Midgame in Signalis;

There's an enemy type that'll just quietly climb out of the floor. No sound, just a floor plate sliding aside as it climbs out and immediately pursues you. They're almost never im the way, and only in set rooms, but just a really evil way to make you hurry through a room. And further making you worry as to if each new room is ever truly safe or not.

Those were such a rude surprise the first time they showed up, I love it. And there’s even an in-universe reason why that particular enemy has tunnels they can pop out of!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bussamove posted:

Those were such a rude surprise the first time they showed up, I love it. And there’s even an in-universe reason why that particular enemy has tunnels they can pop out of!

Ooooohhhhh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is the reason? I probably read it at some point but there are a lot of documents in that game and a lot of work to cross-reference them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haveblue posted:

What is the reason? I probably read it at some point but there are a lot of documents in that game and a lot of work to cross-reference them

There is a kind of replika that likes to hide in tunnels when it feels stressed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

That model of Replika will build tunnels throughout wherever they're assigned, and will hide in them if they start losing mental stability.

It's not advised to try extracting them by force.

On a side-note I really like the way Replikas are treated in the setting; Here is your biomechanical android, based off a dead person's mind. No hidden secret to their origins, just whole lines based off a template. See to their emotional needs based on their mental template, treat them well, and it'll be fine. Also a note that says if worst comes to worst, don't eat the organic parts of one, they're indigestible :allears:. Also the Replika's probably gonna last longer and get the job done anyway in a crisis, so prioritize them surviving over a Gestalt (person)

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Oct 31, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, Signalis is good, I take it?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yes, but the inventory shuffling is a little tedious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's very good but yeah, the inventory is a big weakness. There are enough gear items that feel essential that you don't have enough space to engage with the puzzles. This inevitably leads you to discover a critical item but be unable to pick it up and have to come back for it (and this is not something the game will mark on the map for you, although it will mark other uncompleted things)

haveblue has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Oct 31, 2022

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
That's been killing me, yeah.

Also there's a missable puzzle clue which held me up for a minute, but missing the clue only results in some trial-and-error, at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, I get what they're going for (and they mostly succeed at), but they really should've cribbed off Jill-style Resident Evil instead of Chris and given two extra item slots just to make inventory management better. It'd make using things like the Flare Gun with grenades more palatable instead of just A Gun and spare ammo eating two thirds of your slots.

That and just make the Torch and the Eye toggled equipment rather than items. Just cycle through with up/down on the D-Pad along with an equipped item.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never used the eye at all since I had screenshot button. That doesn't feel any more like cheating than using a pen and paper.

They even had a piece of equipment that does work like that already (the radio is an item you pick up and install), they should absolutely have made the flashlight work the same way. Stun prods and thermite can keep consuming space since they affect the combat rather than just acting as area unlocks

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I adore a lot about Persona 5 but one detail I love are the DVDs you can rent. Mechanically they're only there to raise certain social stats, but they put a lot of love into making spoof versions of popular shows. Not only do they have great knockoff names (The Running Dead, Not-Hot Betsy), when you watch them you can overhear a few seconds of dialogue poking fun at the show they spoof. Also I love Morgana's reaction to each show, like lecturing you not to act like the teenagers on 90210.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that the final main level in Kirby and the Forgotten Lands (that I've got to, I'm about to fight Dedede for the second time. I don't know if something else comes up after that) has a strong sense of momentum. It's not a boss rush, more an enemy cluster with a bunch of fights with smaller enemies and level-specific minibosses that need certain mouthfuls to defeat, and almost all of the Waddle-Dee's are gimmes that just get given to you on beating those enemies or just killing a bunch of stuff, so instead of wasting time exploring and getting stuck on puzzles it's just "Ding, got the thing, move on" with only a few that are truly missable, and it gives the level a huge sense of rhythm for building to the final boss after a few prior levels being really hard to explore.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Riatsala posted:

I adore a lot about Persona 5 but one detail I love are the DVDs you can rent. Mechanically they're only there to raise certain social stats, but they put a lot of love into making spoof versions of popular shows. Not only do they have great knockoff names (The Running Dead, Not-Hot Betsy), when you watch them you can overhear a few seconds of dialogue poking fun at the show they spoof. Also I love Morgana's reaction to each show, like lecturing you not to act like the teenagers on 90210.

Along these lines, there are so many items with sorta kinda useless functions that exist only for flavor and they’re awesome. Each vending machine scattered around the world will only have a selection of three drinks, and those drinks usually only restore a pittance of HP and aren’t worth getting, but they’re obvious parodies of real brands and it’s clear the localizers or writers had a ton of fun making up stupid names for drinks. Also, some of the vending machines have SP restoring items in them, which is good early on since SP loss is your real bottleneck. Not so much after the first palace but eh.

Another funny little thing, one of your buddies comes over during the Summer break, and you can hang out with him while he’s there. This interaction is less to raise your confidant level, which is something you’ve been trying to do for the entirety of the game, and more for flavor. But what’s neat is that you can continue hanging out with him after the first event, which is strictly speaking non optimal since it’ll eat up your next timeslot, and your given the option of what to do when continuing. If you make coffee, something you’ve been doing for most of the game at this point and should know how to do, you’re given the option to “put some love into it” or to “make it as you were taught.”

If you “put love into it” he spits it out and acts disgusted. But it goes beyond a gag. Instead of La Blanc Coffee, which you normally get in your inventory after finishing, you get Bitter Coffee instead. It’s functionally the same thing, but a nice little detail nonetheless.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just found out about the Super Mario 1 a+start continue trick.

Just now.

Where was this thirty-six years ago??

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Phy posted:

Just now.

Maybe the info didn't get around to your schoolmates at the time.

It didn't for mine, either, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know how I knew about that, I don't remember being told about it and would not have been around video game magazines of they'd started by then. Maybe I was just a kid genius who figured it out myself?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Phy posted:

Just now.

Learning about it at this exact moment and I feel angry and betrayed for not being informed earlier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Joke's on all of you, I learned of it... a couple of years ago! :smuggo:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been giving Death Stranding a second try, and this time around I'm really appreciating the little mechanic where Sam can just yell something into the void, and if another player is (invisibly) nearby you'll hear him shout something nice in return.
"I'm loving done!"
"You've got this!"
:respek::unsmith:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm Sam!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hey, my name's Sam too!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Such a wonderfully collaborative game. Even at the end, you're struggling alongside people you'll never meet.

My favourite experience in Death Stranding was once when I was out in a rainstorm full of BTs far away from civilization, without ammunition or supplies, and came upon an online shelter, so I could restock.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have plenty of problems with the story delivery and interface, but the core gameplay and integration of online stuff is just an all-timer.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My favorite moment in Death Stranding was when I realized the entire game took place in an abridged United States

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

My favorite moment in Death Stranding was when I realized the entire game took place in an abridged United States

:mods:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been giving Death Stranding a second try, and this time around I'm really appreciating the little mechanic where Sam can just yell something into the void, and if another player is (invisibly) nearby you'll hear him shout something nice in return.
"I'm loving done!"
"You've got this!"
:respek::unsmith:

ohhh i never knew it was due to proximity to other players but that makes a lot of sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've actually been thinking about getting a :filez: version of Death Stranding, just to see how much of the multiplayer component is legit and how much is built into the game. I'm curious, because often there's a structure you need exactly where it makes sense.