Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Abuse is probably my favorite PC platformer, but the gameplay is so dense with action that it feels more platformer-adjacent than anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I only played the demo for abuse as a lad and enjoyed it but couldn’t get the full game. Years later when I finally played the full game I don’t think it hold up :(

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
smdh at the goons who haven't read Masters of Doom itt. You've revealed yourselves!

Tangentially related to the topic of retro FPS, Carmack and id solved the tile scrolling problem with their work on Commander Keen (and their proof of concept Super Mario Bros 3 DOS port, mentioned earlier and touched on in Masters of Doom).

Platformers where scrolling wasn't relying on janky tile movement are still enjoyable these days. Unfortunately the same can't be said for others like Duke1 and apogee titles like Cosmo's Cosmic adventure. I've got some nostalgia for that game but it's hard to look at in motion. Fingers crossed for the HD remake in the works.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is pretty good and has a kickin rad soundtrack.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is Abuse the only commercially released game written in LISP?

e: "The games from naugty dog software (crash bandicoot and others) were programed in Lisp."

Wild

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 2, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Is Abuse the only commercially released game written in LISP?

e: "The games from naugty dog software (crash bandicoot and others) were programed in Lisp."

Wild

there's an ongoing project to decompile jak 1 into its original lisp and build a portable version of naughty dogs lisp runtime

https://github.com/open-goal/jak-project

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Mr. Cultic dev, could you please release a difficulty setting that doesn't have the big, scary chainsaw guys in it? You can call the setting "Big Panicky 30 year old Pissbaby Mode" in my honor.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pennsylvanian posted:

Mr. Cultic dev, could you please release a difficulty setting that doesn't have the big, scary chainsaw guys in it? You can call the setting "Big Panicky 30 year old Pissbaby Mode" in my honor.

The dev should just implement one of those incremental settings like Grounded has for spiders. Notch by notch, the Harvester is reduced from a hulking Leatherface to a flesh-colored cube.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pennsylvanian posted:

It's such a good bad guy. Everything leading up to his first appearance was great. Also that's the only time he actually got me I'm pretty sure. Got trapped in the back room because I couldn't see+shoot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pennsylvanian posted:

I can dig that people liked them if they were all that they could play, though to be fair. If you couldn't get Mario, then enjoy your Jazz Jackrabbit or Halloween Harry.

Yeah, I didn't have consoles growing up, so my childhood platformer was Commander Keen 1 from a CGW disk. There's a project for Keen called Commander Genius that's neat.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Yeah, I didn't have consoles growing up, so my childhood platformer was Commander Keen 1 from a CGW disk. There's a project for Keen called Commander Genius that's neat.

Oh wow! I recently started playing Keen 1 intending to replay all the others as well, so this is probably a better way to do it than Dosbox!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finished the first episode of Blood West and: I liked it. The episode 1 map is a little too open for its own good (a lot of it is just empty) and the writing could do with some proofreading, but I had fun sneaking around and backstabbing the various ghouls and ghosts. Really feels like a low-budget STALKER/3D Fallout immersive-sim-adjacent survival horror stealth game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do still kinda want to play Duke 1/2 since they come before 3D and it bothers me I haven’t since I’m a weirdo.

Duke 1 is pretty unremarkable but Duke 2 is pretty fun.

Apogee's "Monster Bash" is a pretty good one, although it does suffer from the "best episode is the shareware" effect. I have no idea why it got such a nice rerelease last year (it seems to be completely rebuilt and made much more accessible- it's even got a level editor) since I don't think I've ever heard anybody talking nostalgically about it but it's worth a run through the shareware if you're into that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1587669515952828416?t=f0psH_BFVhCQxAN4rjWyBA&s=19

I enjoyed this and I hope you do too

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Since Apogee platformer chat has entered the thread I’m going to pop up to say I had a real lovely time playing through the HD rerelease of Crystal Caves that came out last year and recommend it.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

SeANMcBAY posted:

True but even the best dos platformers are still equal to, at best, like a c tier platformer on those consoles.

As someone who loves the Commander Keen games, I kinda have to agree. Commander Keen 4 is the best PC platformer of its era, but even as a kid the movement and actual platforming never felt as good as a Mario or Capcom game.

Of course, id then made up for it by creating first person movement that consoles would struggle to match for the next decade.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

He's been posting on Twitter about working on a Custom Difficulty mode.

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1585435235671474176

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1587500453482348546

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Every morning I'm doing crunches and pushups in preparation to beat CULTIC on the custom difficulty with maxed out sliders.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Every morning I'm doing crunches and pushups in preparation to beat CULTIC on the custom difficulty with maxed out sliders.

do hardest difficulty Project Brutality to practice

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cultic maxed out is 10 chainsaw guys with soap chasing you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

All I can say to that is...

...rub a dub dub

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://twitter.com/Murdoink/status/1585641447985856514

lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm up to the first minor boss encounter on Turbo Overkill Episode 2.

Any tips on how you slow this faux Aussie bloke down? Spoilered hint would be appreciated.

Game owns and improves on the first Episode in many ways so far.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Apart from the first chainsaw guy I loved the hedge maze ones in Asylum Grounds because I was not expecting them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Apart from the first chainsaw guy I loved the hedge maze ones in Asylum Grounds because I was not expecting them.

I do kind of wish that there was a bigger difference between the Brute (gorilla man) and Devourer (Mr Mouth) enemies. All three creatures can be very similar (big, high-HP, melee-focused monsters) but at least the Harvester has his explosives and bear traps.

I guess the Devourer has projectile vomit...but it uses it infrequently enough that it's basically the same enemy as the Brute 90% of the time (as far as I can tell on Extreme difficulty).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The harvesters and ghosts really have the most potential to run your day in a big crowd like the end of lvl 3, but I appreciate that both are introduced in situations where you have no idea that anything like that could happen and they're in a situation where they can gently caress you up the worst.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I figured the hedge maze was going for a tribute to a level in Zombies Ate My Neighbors where you got chased through one with chainsaw guys who can saw through the hedges. So it didn’t completely shock me when that happened.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Groovelord Neato posted:

You didn't? I was expecting them the entire time. And it still took me by surprise. Thanks Zombies ate my neighbors!

If I'm doing the no damage, it should probably be level 1 right? No ghosts...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

You didn't? I was expecting them the entire time. And it still took me by surprise. Thanks Zombies ate my neighbors!

If I'm doing the no damage, it should probably be level 1 right? No ghosts...

I thought it was gonna be more jumping zombies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkAGu0mXdx8

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Looks pretty cool, better than Lameduke at least

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just finished CULTIC, great stuff.
Took me about 4 hours on standard difficulty, but with a good amount of autoaim on the Steam Deck.

I can foresee doing a second, more "aggressive" playthrough with mouse & keyboard in the future.

Definitely gonna grab chapter 2 when it comes out.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Glagha posted:

Why was it that like, almost all pc platformers were absolute dogwater? There's like a couple passable ones like Duke Nukem but even then.

I remember really liking BLACKTHORNE, but I'm not sure if that was a DOS game or a SNES game first.

All 100% playable online as well:

https://playclassic.games/games/platform-dos-games-online/play-blackthorne-online/play/

Arrow keys move, SDF for shoot, backwards shoot, holster, changing to sprint and jump when holstered. E for use, PGUP/DN for inventory. Just played the first level again, there's a blast from the past :o: The opening cutscene graphics are really nice as well, quality art direction.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

I'm getting absolutely murdered on Let's Rock difficulty, drat

Pistol isn't autofire anymore, you gotta click that trigger now. Alt-fire is an inaccurate burst fire

ooh there's a lives system, this is going for nintendo hard difficulty

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 3, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What upgrades are best for the extreme achievement on cultic? I tend to gravitate towards upgrading the shotgun as an all around weapon in lower difficulties because it's not just powerful but ammo is plentiful. I adore the rifle but I feel ammo is pretty scarce even when you're landing headshots one for one or even two for one. The sten is solid to upgrade just for spongey types but it devours ammo and since that eats into pistol ammo which is my long range pick off secondary (which I assume I'm going to be doing a LOT more of at this difficulty) it feels like a lot of points invested in a weapon that's really situational. I really just dont want to screw myself by poor parts management

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't played past hard, but I'd agree that the LAR doesn't really get enough ammo to be a workhorse and the STEN eats ammo when you finally bust it out. I'd probably focus on damage/accuracy for the pistol, a bunch of shotgun upgrades, maybe clip size/burst fire for the pistol?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Not that I've played the game on Extreme, but the shotgun and pistol both seem like gimmes because of the ammo, yeah.

IMO anything big enough to pull out the STEN for dies just as easily to the shotgun or explosives, and those are both better for instagibbing cultists. The lever-action feels like it doesn't need any upgrades at all to use in its intended role of picking off the things you really don't want to see up close, from afar (although I will say the mag size update is nice just for QoL given the slow reload).

I would just get everything except the burst-fire on the pistol, and everything except the knockback on the shotgun (grab the damage upgrades last for both, the accuracy and reload/mag size upgrades are important earlier on), and then spend parts on whatever other weapon you like using.

FWIW the grenade launcher wasn't particularly useful on Hard (I pretty much never dipped below 20 TNT), and the FG42 basically replaces the lever-action as your sniper and similarly does not need upgrades.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 4, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What upgrades are best for the extreme achievement on cultic? I tend to gravitate towards upgrading the shotgun as an all around weapon in lower difficulties because it's not just powerful but ammo is plentiful. I adore the rifle but I feel ammo is pretty scarce even when you're landing headshots one for one or even two for one. The sten is solid to upgrade just for spongey types but it devours ammo and since that eats into pistol ammo which is my long range pick off secondary (which I assume I'm going to be doing a LOT more of at this difficulty) it feels like a lot of points invested in a weapon that's really situational. I really just dont want to screw myself by poor parts management

I can't really say that any particular weapon is the "workhorse" for me on Extreme. I find myself regularly using my entire arsenal, so I've always emphasized damage upgrades for pretty much everything (except the FG42) since it means that everything's killed faster and ammo goes "further", round for round. I don't really mess around with the accuracy (including tightening the shot spread) or ammo capacity upgrades until I've done that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just ran past the first chainsaw guy lol. Hey, saves ammo right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Well, I just found the absolute worst thing about Cultic. The default keyboard layout has quicksave right next to quickload.