Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gonna get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The trailer for that Rush of Blood 2 implies that they're using the eye tracking to know when you blink and move the enemies around weeping angels style.

e: derp, the text of the article is explicit that they do.

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 2, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fix posted:

The trailer for that Rush of Blood 2 implies that they're using the eye tracking to know when you blink and move the enemies around weeping angels style.

e: derp, the text of the article is explicit that they do.

That is mean as hell, I love it. Also the big squid physics game will use eye tracking to know which NPC you're talking to and which menu item you want to select. There's so much good tech there, it really needs an Astro's Playroom to show it off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got GoW Ragnarok installed on my system. 84.15GB, but that's pre-day 1 patch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I put a Japanese DVD into my PS5 and it asked me if I wanted to change my PS5's DVD region code, I had no idea that PS5 could do that. It also told me I could only do this 4 times ever which is a weird thing too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think that's relatively common, including the limitations on how many times you can do that for PC DVD/BD drives

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A little late to the discussion, but what is so bad about PS Plus? I skipped most of last generation and I haven't had an XBox since the 360, so I don't really know what the competition is up to, but I was really happy with upgrading to the middle tier with all the games that came with it. There were a bunch of recent games that I would have ended up spending that money on anyway, and I also got to try some games that I probably wouldn't have spent the money on (or would have spent the money on and gotten bored with and felt bad).

What are we missing out on, exactly? Is it just the size of the library, or...?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's partly the size and quality of the library and partly that it's not very good value compared to Xbox Game Pass, which tends to get a lot of major releases the same day they go on sale at retail. Sony didn't dare or wasn't able to swing that, so the higher tiers of Plus are still mostly a back catalog service

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phenotype posted:

A little late to the discussion, but what is so bad about PS Plus? I skipped most of last generation and I haven't had an XBox since the 360, so I don't really know what the competition is up to, but I was really happy with upgrading to the middle tier with all the games that came with it. There were a bunch of recent games that I would have ended up spending that money on anyway, and I also got to try some games that I probably wouldn't have spent the money on (or would have spent the money on and gotten bored with and felt bad).

You gotta keep in mind that most of the people itt already have played most of the more interesting stuff on ps plus.

For Someone like you who is new to the games it’s probably not a bad deal at all.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

You gotta keep in mind that most of the people itt already have played most of the more interesting stuff on ps plus.

For Someone like you who is new to the games it’s probably not a bad deal at all.

Yeah if you don’t have an immediate answer for why it’s bad then it’s most likely worth the money. It’s a great service.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah if you don’t have an immediate answer for why it’s bad then it’s most likely worth the money.

Lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I haven't had an XBox since the 360, so I don't really know what the competition is up to

The main reason Game Pass is better than PS Plus is because many big games come to it day one including all first-party games. Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Elder Scrolls/Fallout/COD stuff in the future. PS Plus so far has only had that for like, Stray.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: @feels: I mean, where’s the lie. I’ve played tons of PS games since the launch of the PS4, have had Plus since it was a thing. I found enough obvious value to Premium that I went for it. Until I notice not having things I want to play on it it’s a no-brainer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

It's partly the size and quality of the library and partly that it's not very good value compared to Xbox Game Pass, which tends to get a lot of major releases the same day they go on sale at retail. Sony didn't dare or wasn't able to swing that, so the higher tiers of Plus are still mostly a back catalog service

There's not really an excuse for indie stuff sure, but the main reason is they are not interested in undercutting their own dominance in physical releases at this moment. You look at Elden Ring and something insane like a quarter of total sales of that game were Playstation discs. It's a paradigm the maintenance of which Sony see as key to market saturation. This may change in the future, but with PS5 crossing the 25 million units mark recently while outselling the Series X 3:1 the physical market is still significant. Part of the reason that MS has been going so hard on GamePass in a manner that Sony is unlikely to match is that they are taking absolutely huge losses on hardware and have been steadily backing out of the physical release game market for a while now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Part of the reason that MS has been going so hard on GamePass in a manner that Sony is unlikely to match is that they are taking absolutely huge losses on hardware and have been steadily backing out of the physical release game market for a while now.

Yeah Phil just said they're losing $200 per Series S. That thing is 100% a loss leader for game pass, the lack of a disc drive has nothing to do with production cost.

Phenotype posted:

Congrats, you're pretty much the target customer. If you spent the last gen buying PS4 games then it doesn't have much to offer relative to game pass.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PS+ 'essential' tier usually gives me 2-3 absolute bangers per year that I feel justify the cost (past examples include stuff like Deep Rock Galactic and Rocket League at launch), games that are instant pick up and play classics that I put hundreds of hours and zero dollars into. In addition I usually get a bunch of things I wouldn't think to purchase otherwise which helps me branch out of my normal. Since I need it for online play in the first place it's not a hard decision each year, but it's very unlikely that I would pay them more money for on-demand style netflix gaming. It's just not in the cards for me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thanks for reminding me to claim nioh 2 despite the fact I will probably never play it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

They have me for essential as long as I need it to play factions. To upgrade past that I'll need day one exclusives, which will never happen.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I will continue to pay for the highest teir of ps+ so I can always access a copy of Wild Arms despite the fact I completed it earlier this year and will likely not play it again within the next decade

Actually on second thought maybe I will downgrade when it comes time to renew

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

They have me for essential as long as I need it to play factions. To upgrade past that I'll need day one exclusives, which will never happen.

:hmmyes:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's not really an excuse for indie stuff sure, but the main reason is they are not interested in undercutting their own dominance in physical releases at this moment. You look at Elden Ring and something insane like a quarter of total sales of that game were Playstation discs. It's a paradigm the maintenance of which Sony see as key to market saturation. This may change in the future, but with PS5 crossing the 25 million units mark recently while outselling the Series X 3:1 the physical market is still significant. Part of the reason that MS has been going so hard on GamePass in a manner that Sony is unlikely to match is that they are taking absolutely huge losses on hardware and have been steadily backing out of the physical release game market for a while now.

As a lowly big box electronics employee who sells video games it's kind of nuts how lopsided the PS5/XSX thing gets in the matter of sales and distribution. It really feels like Microsoft just doesn't care about the physical market.

My store gets both PS5s and Series S/X at different rates, we've been getting Series Xs pretty frequently since the start of Summer but we sell at best maybe once a week. We've got a dozen in the back along with dozens of Series Ss that don't move. We got 8 PS5s a few weeks ago, Horizon Forbidden West disc bundles, at the Canadian sales point of $719.99 (versus the $599.99 of the X) and we sold all 8 in A week even with the +$50 price bump Sony pushed onto Canada. A few days ago we got a stray digital PS5 model and put it out, and within an hour it sold. I still get calls asking me when we're getting PS5s (I just tell them to phone GameStop).

Sony sends us game stock all the time, every day I get a shipment of games and I open it up and there's all these discount PS4 games. I can't remember the last time Microsoft sent us budget games. We get new releases a lot, but unless it's a huge tentpole game the PS copies usually either 2:1 outnumber the Xbox copies or we straight up don't even get Xbox copies. If it's An Xbox game we'll get it in a bubble mailer, like A random copy of Mechwarrior 5 or something. Sony (and Nintendo) marketing reps visit us quarterly to swap out branding stuff on our cabinets and around our department, but I have never met the Microsoft rep. We have signs advertising Minecraft coming to Xbox 360 and COD: Infinite Warfare as hot new products. They have to exist because we have Halo Infinite branding (with the original release date not the date it actually came out) but hell if I know where.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Yeah, from what I can tell, but it's also a bit of a haul. What's the best way I can put it? Everything's just really granular. You know how people complained that Mirror's Edge Catalyst had a skill tree that took a few hours to unlock (you could have most essential skills by mission 5), well Dying Light 2 quadruples down on early game disempowerment, you are a lump of poo poo at the beginning who can barely climb a wall without getting winded, and they make you work for every inch of ability progression be it through fighting, running around, or infiltrating hazard zones at night. It's honestly a lot to take in, especially if you're mostly in it for the parkour. The later abilities look like Matrix move level poo poo lol.

There's inventory management, territory unlocks, influence peddling, sidequesting for xp, different classes of gear, multiple types of stat trees, crafting, etc, etc and it all gets dealt out piecemeal in a way that opens up new territory rather gradually. I played for 20 hours (mix of sidequesting and story) before the game opened up fully and by the time it did I still only had rather basic parkour skills unlocked (wallrun and slide came at the 18 hour mark!)

The parkour is detailed but somewhat floaty, not nearly as well realized or precise as the Mirror's Edge titles, but there's a real sense of chaos and experimentation to the traversal that can go from rooftop to street level while the day/night cycle is constantly changing up what routes are safe or not. It doesn't always work smoothly but when it does the game generates a frantic, scrappy feeling all its own. The story is mostly clown poo poo, there to justify the ridiculous future-past concept city they've built to play around in, with cardboard cutout npcs that betray you left and right or just act like idiot shitheels, but the atmosphere and music and level design are top notch. Really a weird game, you can see all the layers of its development over the years, where it expanded in scope and what it was unable to cut away. Overall it's a cool game that struggles to find focus but is full of little moments of innovation and fancy.

This is really loving cool to hear.

I like the ascent from tissue paper to titanium that RPG mechanics can lend to a game, and I like that you can feel a difference. Much more visceral than doing five points more of damage.

I’d heard they wanted to touch up the writing for the sequel. Too bad that didn’t seem to pan out but eh whatever it’s not like most folks are playing it for the writing anyway.

Will probably grab it when it’s on sale. Thanks for the writeup.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

february 21st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Iee7ZHHZE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/sekirodubi/status/1587217346107777025

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is this about elden man

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I put a Japanese DVD into my PS5 and it asked me if I wanted to change my PS5's DVD region code, I had no idea that PS5 could do that. It also told me I could only do this 4 times ever which is a weird thing too.

I haven’t had to put a physical disc in a player in forever but this is very common for anything that might be sold internationally and not solely used to play whatever region locked media is being put in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

eidos working on new deus ex

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1587515910046220288

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Augus posted:

is this about elden man

ya

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I will continue to pay for the highest teir of ps+ so I can always access a copy of Wild Arms despite the fact I completed it earlier this year and will likely not play it again within the next decade

Actually on second thought maybe I will downgrade when it comes time to renew

I think you can just buy Wild Arms digitally and play it without a sub anyway. In fact I'm pretty sure I free upgraded my PS3 digital copy of the PS1 Classic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have whatever the highest tier of plus is. I had a gift voucher so I spent that on it. I think the service is good and I've played a lot of games.

I have also used game pass on PC and it feels essentially the same to me. You get the odd new release but tbh I haven't played a launch game pass game and been all that excited about it.

I'm locked into plus because I bought the yearly sub with my voucher, but I turn game pass on and off. It's cool to look at a big library of games but I tend to pick a game and play it over a fortnight or a month depending on what it is.

I recently played all the way through Trials of Mana, the South Park games and Children of Morta. Plus a heap of other poo poo I didn't finish. Feel like I do the same with game pass, fire up a game and play it for an hour until I declare it mid and move on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Can't wait to fight five more crystal warriors, three more trolls, six more of those tree guardian things, two more gargoyle looking motherfuckers, and like a dozen variations of 'big man with a sweeping attack'

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah i'm pretty loving hyped too
so many good games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9c4kPRSGE

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Warning, that game isn't charming and Japanese, it's another joyless brooding western action game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

im sorry sir, god of war is anime now. please remain calm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The marketing for this game is so weird I’m into it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Elden Ring makes it so hard to go to bed!

Bashed my head against BLOODHOUND KNIGHT DARRIWIL for a few rounds before ultimately beating him without him landing a single hit, which I was pleased with. Then bed!

Well, I'll just see what's over the bridge.... Well, I'll just kill these dudes and then see what's over the bridge... Then bed.

Oh, there's an npc! I'll just talk to her... Then bed. Well, I'll just look around here for a bit...

Argh I'm meant to be waking up at 0530 and going to the gym before work! But why make real life gains when I can make ELDEN GAINS?!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the perfect ideology

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Warning, that game isn't charming and Japanese, it's another joyless brooding western action game

The first one was a lot of fun and full of jokes. Hardly brooding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Finally got around to watching the Northman
Good rear end movie