Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dogstile posted:

No you don't get it. One of the safest characters in the game gets to decide fights via basically random dinks.

Lol

There are plenty of characters that get to spam down a corridor safely and a pick equals a won fight. This is not unique to Kiriko HTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
These characters don't get to teleport or complete immunity either.

When's the last time you heard someone good complain that Zen spamming down a corridor was too good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

These characters don't get to teleport or complete immunity either.

When's the last time you heard someone good complain that Zen spamming down a corridor was too good?

dogstile posted:

throwing orbs down lane as Zen has me rising so stupidly fast whenever I actually turn this game on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Cool you've worked out that I can both aim and recognize when a character is stronger than the other.

Because Zen is harder to play than Kiriko despite being less effective in all situations that isn't stopping a nanoblade.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If only we all had the homing knives that head track like your Kiri :allears:

Your post I quoted literally equated her dinks and Zen spamming but continue to condescending to everyone.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I said I do both. I swap from Zen to Kiriko whenever the other team decides to actually attack the backline (like they should be doing) and would have been happy to elaborate. There is a reason OWL is using Kiriko/Lucio instead of Zen.

I'm being condescending because you decided to be a knob about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

Congrats on figuring out how Overwatch fights work?

Unless you think this isn't being a knob.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I thought OWL teams are using Kiriko mostly to benefit from her ult which is essentially a team-wide AOE nano? Her cleanse and 2-tap potential are a bonus.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah kiriko kunai feel bad when you first try them, but the thing is you can just spam a corner or doorway at head level and your silver opponents will eventually walk into it. lucio and zenyatta work the same way

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bottom Liner posted:

If only we all had the homing knives that head track like your Kiri :allears:

Your post I quoted literally equated her dinks and Zen spamming but continue to condescending to everyone.

what the absolute gently caress are you on about, go away you're drunk and aggro or something

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
If anyone wants to get good at OW2, you should follow spilo. I believe he's an OWL coach and he does a very good job explaining both the Macro and Micro for OW2, here's an example for Sombra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMrLupA9Nm8

Edit:

Also A10 for zarya specific macro/micro concepts, although his powerpoint at the beginning applies to everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGbumoCjVk&t=204s

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Kiriko is pretty nutty when you pop off but I wouldn't change anything about her I think, but I play her a lot so I accept the bias. Maybe if Blizz takes a deep look and thinks he's getting too much value from her Kunai drop it down by 10% on a headshot maybe I dont know.

Speaking of Kiriko this seems pretty high for one round of Gibraltar (QP) but maybe I'm just not paying attention to the final games stats enough

We did absolutely dominate this round, I'm guessing it's one Kitsune assist for each team member getting an elim while it's popped but looking at the scoreboard my team had a total of roughly 100 elims so is that stat insinuating my ults had a hand in ~80% of our eliminations? :| In which case maybe her Ult is a bit OP... But honestly I have to think that is just glitched and not accurate because it just cant be thinking about the round.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 2, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Kiriko is pretty nutty when you pop off but I wouldn't change anything about her I think.

she needs a silhouette rework

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

If anyone wants to get good at OW2, you should follow spilo. I believe he's an OWL coach and he does a very good job explaining both the Macro and Micro for OW2, here's an example for Sombra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMrLupA9Nm8

Edit:

Also A10 for zarya specific macro/micro concepts, although his powerpoint at the beginning applies to everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGbumoCjVk&t=204s

Thanks for posting these videos.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

poe meater posted:

Thanks for posting these videos.

NP. The fastest way to rank up is understanding many of these macro concepts (high ground/using natural cover as your shield, creating off angle crossfire, timing your engages so that you attack when your core attacks the other core when you're a flanker, covering flanks/off angles, etc.), even moreso than learning micro tricks specific to your character.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

I'm being condescending because you decided to be a knob about it.

Telling the other person “have you tried hitting your shots” has nothing to do with me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

dogstile posted:

I said I do both. I swap from Zen to Kiriko whenever the other team decides to actually attack the backline (like they should be doing) and would have been happy to elaborate. There is a reason OWL is using Kiriko/Lucio instead of Zen.

Dogstile, i remember you as a tank in ow1, you switched to healer?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bottom Liner posted:

Telling the other person “have you tried hitting your shots” has nothing to do with me.

Sarcasm gets sarcasm, friend. If you recall, said poster was also sarcastic. Keep grasping at those straws though!

Mister Fister posted:

Dogstile, i remember you as a tank in ow1, you switched to healer?

Nah I still play tank but i'm doing a bronze to gm support thing rn.

teagone posted:

I thought OWL teams are using Kiriko mostly to benefit from her ult which is essentially a team-wide AOE nano? Her cleanse and 2-tap potential are a bonus.

They're using undiveable supports that also have to mobility to keep up with a dive. That's why they're also using Winston soljourn reaper. All those characters give kiriko an easy out with teamwork.

Kiriko reaper ults being old beyblade is a good bonus tho

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 2, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So are they gonna buff Brig at all. She feels real bad now. Pretty funny that the "tanky" support feels most like a sitting duck now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I had a pretty rough loss last night duo queuing with my bro and he was complaining that he wasn't getting healed after the match when I told him he had 21 deaths -- the most on our team and nearly twice as many as everyone else. He rage quit after that, lol.

I did a ~1ish hour VOD review of that loss earlier today to see if I and/or the other support weren't healing him enough. Turned out over half of his deaths -- 13 out of the 21 -- were either from him getting instantly picked by widow/hanzo/cassidy or him playing out of position/staggering. 9 of those 21 deaths were one-shot body/headshots while he was at near full health or being healed. He really is a typical DPS main, blaming supports lmao. Also reviewing the loss through his POV really does make me feel like I hard carried him into plat, lmao.

dogstile posted:

They're using undiveable supports that also have to mobility to keep up with a dive. That's why they're also using Winston soljourn reaper. All those characters give kiriko an easy out with teamwork.

Kiriko reaper ults being old beyblade is a good bonus tho

Ahh yeah, that makes sense. And yeah, watching Reaper in a kitsune rush is hilarious.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

leftist heap posted:

So are they gonna buff Brig at all. She feels real bad now. Pretty funny that the "tanky" support feels most like a sitting duck now.

Brig is actually very very strong right now. But you have to be extremely concious of the enemy teams picks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Kwolok posted:

Brig is actually very very strong right now. But you have to be extremely concious of the enemy teams picks.

I disagree, compared to kiriko/ana/baptist... then zen/moira, she's kinda weak. I usually lose games when i have a brig on my team.. She doesn't hjave the heals/utility that other supports have.

Edit: Lower ranked games may be another story though.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Mister Fister posted:

I disagree, compared to kiriko/ana/baptist... then zen/moira, she's kinda weak. I usually lose games when i have a brig on my team.. She doesn't hjave the heals/utility that other supports have.

Edit: Lower ranked games may be another story though.

You need at least one high out put healer, bad with zen, but she takes a role of lucio otherwise and with an aggressive team can make a nasty roll comp, this is at high levels.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Still working towards the 50 casual wins for competitive play thing, which seems like a giant number. Anti-smurf bs I guess?

I flex queue just because it's fun to play the lottery. 99% support games, one tank game (mid-getting rolled because the tank on the team quit and I got loaded in) and one whole damage game.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Love to be on a winning team in Plat IV support and have the other support tell me to kill myself and that I'm retarded, while never actually articulating what it was I did wrong. Winning team, 10k heals (Brig) by the end (to their 12k, Mercy). Oh yeah, the team also kept loosing team fights because they were fighting way off the cart and the only reason we won is because I solo pushed the cart the whole loving game.

Zero critical thinking skills on that guy's part. Anyway, hope he gets banned!!

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 2, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I dont think anything has tilted me more in OW in a long time than playing against a Zarya. I know I shouldn't expect competency from the OW2 team but how the devs didn't see from playtesting how just leagues better she is than any other tank is beyond me. Thank god that patch will be here soon.

edit: Also Sojourn to a lesser degree, lol they aren't patching her

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 2, 2022

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

I dont think anything has tilted me more in OW in a long time than playing against a Zarya. I know I shouldn't expect competency from the OW2 team but how the devs didn't see from playtesting how just leagues better she is than any other tank is beyond me. Thank god that patch will be here soon.

edit: Also Sojourn to a lesser degree, lol they aren't patching her

Yeah, double self bubble is too much.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Check your spam folders, because Blizzard is sending out surveys asking how people feel about the state of the game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought maybe the reason I wasn't seeing a lot of Reapers down in wood was that the character wasn't popular anymore but I think actually it's that you probably don't stay in bronze long if you play Reaper. If even I, someone who has no ability to tell where sound is coming from, and cannot aim even the shotguns right, and never telports, can wreak havoc on the 2-3 maps I know well enough to get to the back line on, I'm sure someone even below average is probably climbing pretty fast.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rick posted:

I thought maybe the reason I wasn't seeing a lot of Reapers down in wood was that the character wasn't popular anymore but I think actually it's that you probably don't stay in bronze long if you play Reaper. If even I, someone who has no ability to tell where sound is coming from, and cannot aim even the shotguns right, and never telports, can wreak havoc on the 2-3 maps I know well enough to get to the back line on, I'm sure someone even below average is probably climbing pretty fast.

yeah he dominates lower ranks because folks at that level believe if you pretend he doesn't exist, he can't hurt you

and then of course he teleports loudly behind them, walks in and DIE DIE DIES and they're like ?????? New character?????

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Did they reduce the amount of XP you get for winning a game? I was getting like 2.3k, but now it's like 1.2k.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Did they reduce the amount of XP you get for winning a game? I was getting like 2.3k, but now it's like 1.2k.

That was only for the weekend, they're doing a few Double XP weekends because people weren't satisfied with the launch.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So wait are there no more medals after the game? How do I find out how much damage I did or w/e?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So wait are there no more medals after the game? How do I find out how much damage I did or w/e?

Press TAB during the match.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yea feels like there should be some sort of scoreboard or something

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That can you can't bring up scoreboards from previous matches is annoying.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Vermain posted:

stuff like "winning champs in a BoX are banned" gets tossed around as an idea in league, too, but there's the same fundamental problem of expecting pro teams to both know how to play and practice a veritable plethora of characters and comps when there's only so many hours in the day to do so

this is the other reason besides risk aversion why pro teams tend to stick to meta comps and only pull out a hidden ace when necessary: practicing even a single teamcomp to perfection is hard, but practicing, like, 5 or 6 ones with hero variations is gonna fatigue teams fast

Vermain posted:

it's not just "can all your players play all the heroes in their role", it's "can your players play a wide variety of heroes in a wide variety of team comps"

it's hard to just staple a bunch of heroes together and get something workable given how importance hero synergy is to overall individual effectiveness, as well as the need to be able to counteract whatever the enemy comp is going to be doing. practicing those comps beyond the surface level of "knows how to play the heroes" is the time consuming part and, after a while, mentally exhausting part

This rationale implies "The supposed best players in the world are secretly not very good", which is why I think it's a nonsense argument. If you aren't prepared for things not falling your way, you're not actually prepared at all. Put it this way, in a given sport, most teams have more players than they actually field. Injuries happen. Illnesses happen. Sometimes, players just aren't having a very good day, or you want an extra left-handed or left-footed player or a more mobile big man or whatever, depending on the sport. So, while for starters I think that it's more than fair to suggest the very best players should be able to play, at a very, very high level, multiple characters. But more-to-the-point, I also think teams should probably be about 8-10 guys.

Put another way, you're not wrong, but I also don't think that implies that you're right. It's true that it's beyond exhausting to know every possible combination, and trying to do so is probably the top of the [many items] long list of why I can't climb in this game (presumably. I haven't played competitive in OW2 yet) because it's too much more difficult than just picking a best boy(or girl) and running with them to the top. Although, I should point out that every top competitor should still know at least two characters exceedingly well---the rest of us have to f'in deal when our main gets smash picked by the other person queued up in our role. That minor gripe aside, if it comes to be too much mental strain for any one player, the solution is "let teams have more subs, as needed." As it stands, high level Overwatch isn't actually Overwatch.

Rick posted:

I'm terrified by the number of people that seemingly made it past their toddler years without ever internalizing the concept of object permanence.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They need to change flex queue so that if you get the same role twice, you're guaranteed to get a different role the third time. Flex queue is just support queue #2.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

No you don't get it. One of the safest characters in the game gets to decide fights via basically random dinks. 120 damage on a headshot that you don't really have to aim (roughly head level and slow, remember) is stupid and requires basically no thought at all.
hanjo is the king poo poo of bullshit kills

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

hanjo is the king poo poo of bullshit kills

it's less "bullshit kills" and more "bullshit pressure" with kiriko

hanzo is limited by refire rate and having to self-slow to fire, but kiriko can wiggle and shoot her flechette pistol at a corner until she whacks someone and forces them to back off and demand immediate healer attention. it's an insane amount of pressure to apply for a healer, limited only by how much kiriko herself has to heal. lower clip size is probably the best quick fix to remove her prefight pressure without having to have an immediate discussion over her effective range (though i imagine it'll eventually have to come up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vermain posted:

it's less "bullshit kills" and more "bullshit pressure" with kiriko

hanzo is limited by refire rate and having to self-slow to fire, but kiriko can wiggle and shoot her flechette pistol at a corner until she whacks someone and forces them to back off and demand immediate healer attention. it's an insane amount of pressure to apply for a healer, limited only by how much kiriko herself has to heal. lower clip size is probably the best quick fix to remove her prefight pressure without having to have an immediate discussion over her effective range (though i imagine it'll eventually have to come up)

the proposal I heard was maybe give her projectiles more velocity but significant bullet drop so she's more of a threat up close and less so at range